Ordering vs Buying on the lot - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Ordering vs Buying on the lot

Hello guys,

I just started truck shopping and I believe I've made my mind up that I want one of these canyons or colorados. I really like the lazer blue colorados, but there's none available.

My first thought is that I'll build up one on the website and just go order it. Now I'm learning that you can't really lock in a final deal because the promotions that chevy can offer you change from month to month and it's always the deal at the time of delivery.

I'm a firm believer that you will NEVER get a good deal if it's something you can't walk away from. This makes me squirm when putting a deposit down on something that you haven't seen the fine print on.

When I bought my 2005 colorado brand new, I gave my local dealer a deposit to bring it in from another dealer. It came in with scratches down the side of the bed and I wasn't able to walk away from it without forfeiting my deposit. They did end up giving me 1/2 price on a spray in bedliner, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I will never go to THAT dealer again (Coyle Chevrolet, Clarksville, IN) but I'm having a hard time trusting anyone.

I was working with another local dealer yesterday that told me that lazer blue got dropped from the 17 models and I can't even order that (probably because he wants me to buy what they have on thier lot). I'm having a lot of trust issues :)

My latest course of action I think is to not buy a truck right now and just start looking at the local inventory every month or so and seeing if I can't find something "close enough" to the truck I want. I'm just glad that I don't NEED something right now and my 05 still runs fine.

Any thoughts or advice?

Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:04 PM
ADMIN

Garage
You can negotiate on a firm pre-incentive price if you want to order. Make sure you get it in writing so they can't come back to you at time of delivery. And of course any incentives at the time of delivery as you stated can change.

Or you find someone with a shareable discount, such as employee pricing or supplier pricing.

I used supplier pricing on my truck back in 2015 so I did save a few thousand off MSRP.
dlakerguy13 likes this.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
My latest course of action I think is to not buy a truck right now and just start looking at the local inventory every month or so and seeing if I can't find something "close enough" to the truck I want. I'm just glad that I don't NEED something right now and my 05 still runs fine.
The only real problem with looking in the dealers lots is exactly what you said.....you may only get something 'close enough; to what you wanted.

As Blue said, you can pretty much lock in a price as long as you have everything in writing. I had no issues when I ordered my 16, and was pleasantly surprised that there was an additional rebate when my truck arrived that neither the dealer nor I knew about, but he happily applied it to my final price.

I came from the same place you did though Luke, I loved my 2005 (which I bought off the lot as a left over) and kept it until I ordered this one. Trust me....you are going to LOVE the new ones compared to your old one.

As for your trust issues, just go to the BUILD A CHEVY website and youll see what is and what isnt available for the current year model.
And FYI, the Laser Blue Metallic is an available color for this year. Build Your Own: Cars, Trucks, and SUVs | Chevrolet

Build it the way you want it, bring it to your local dealer and try to haggle a better price. Its that simple. If youtr local dealer won't budge, just try a couple different ones. While the twins are indeed popular, there are many dealers that want your business.

Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:03 PM

When I ordered my truck no deposit nor purchase obligation was required.
I was also assured that when the truck came in and the deal completed, any rebate that was additionally favorable to my deal would be applied.
Hard to say no to that.
Now, 2 years later, I have been very satisfied with all of my transactions and service at that dealer.

2015 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Bronze Alloy Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Ordered 10/8/14 Picked up 12/22/14
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:05 PM

I came close to ordering but didn't want to wait that long.

My husband and I did some searching online and found a truck that suited our needs and told the dealer about it ( otherwise, I'm not sure they would've found it???). There were little things 'missing' (accessories), but overall the main options & color were what we were looking for. They had to contact that dealer.... secure a willingness to trade for something on my local lot and go from there.

Apparently, dealers have a certain allotment. Some dealers have larger allotments than others. They're not willing to just 'give up' a truck without having a replacement. If one dealer doesn't like the trucks they can trade for - they might not allow the trade.

As for what's better? That's totally up to you.

I would recommend searching online at other dealers ( not local) and see if you can find something you want. Sometimes the dealers don't put forth enough effort to find something for you. I think it's far easier to negotiate for something that's 'available' ( per say) than ordering.

Good Luck!
Toughsox likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:32 PM

I have ordered 3 of my last 4 daily drivers, including my Canyon. Some dealers will deal on the order, some not. You have to decide what you want to pay, what options you want, and go from there. If they can find the truck you want, great. If they have to order, here is the price you are willing to pay, pre-incentive. If incentives arrive on day of delivery, great.

I think where it gets really difficult is where you are open to different trims, different models, etc. For instance, a Colorado LT with this trim or a Canyon SLT with that trim, are they really equivalent? A Canyon SLT or a Canyon SLE with the All Terrain package?

It was easy for me, after I did my research with help from guys here: I wanted a Canyon SLT, 2WD, CC, SB, color Copper Red, black leather, tow package, safety package, spray in bedliner. Period. I might have agreed to a different color, might have considered no safety package, but that was about it.

One of the areas people seemed to get suckered into buying a truck off the lot without the options they want is the tow package. Sales people get confused and think the TOW/HAUL mode of the V6 is the tow package, sell you a truck, then you get home and realize they pulled a fast one on you and want $800 to install a $500 option they told you was on the truck.

As far as trades, my dealer was located in a high rent district and was trading his Canyons for Denalis. I guess he had a decent allotment, but never had any Canyons on the lot back in 2015 because he could get the coveted Denalis his customers wanted in a trade for lowly Canyons.

For most of us, we are going to drive these vehicles for several years and many thousands of miles. GET WHAT YOU WANT, don't settle.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:34 PM

Garage
A lot of time the dealer inventory will show what is in transit. If you find one that meets your needs, see if your dealer with redirect it to their lot. Also, as long as you aren't ordering some really off the wall options, you shouldn't have to put down a deposit. These trucks will sell, so it's not like the dealer is going to be stuck with it. You will get a better deal on a vehicle that is currently in stock because the dealer is paying for it. The sooner it sells the less that pay. You can also get the best deals often by shopping the last day of the month, especially if it was a slow month and they haven't met their quota for that month. Most dealership will take a small loss to avoid losing any of their allocation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul
2016 Colorado LT, Ext Cab
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock View Post
A lot of time the dealer inventory will show what is in transit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
One caveat about looking at those in-transit units, is that customer ordered units are included in those. I found that out back in late 14/early 15, trying to get a hold of a in-bound unit before it hit the lot.
Red Rock likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 05:36 PM

like others have said, it's a trade-off between getting exactly what you want versus maybe a better deal. I didn't have an option in May of 2015 when I ordered mine, there were no options to buy off the lot unless I wanted a Silverado. That being said, when I went to the dealer to order my truck, GM was running a credit union discount program. He took a copy of the program information and attached it to my order.

When my truck arrived about 8 or 9 weeks later, he did two things for me: He gave me the 2016 at the 2015 price (I ordered a 2015, but they changed over to the 2016s before mine was built), and even though GM had greatly reduced the credit union discount, he adjusted the final purchase price of the truck to account for the program that was in place when I ordered it. So, in the end I got a 2016 for the price of a 2015, and got the full credit union discount. I'm not sure other dealers would have done that. And the dealer really had no incentive to make those changes as if I had walked out, he could have sold the truck to someone else for a higher price. However, he created a happy and loyal customer who's referred him to several of my friends.

Good luck!
RatRacer likes this.

2016 Colorado LT 4WD, Long-Box, Laser Blue/Jet Ash. Convenience & Luxury packages, Factory Spray-in Bed Liner, Safety Package, Trailering Package, Mud Flaps, Quad-fold G4 hard tonneau cover, 3" OEM steps, All-season OEM floor mats

Ordered 5/22/15
TPW: 7/13/15
Received: 8/8/15
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 05:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
One caveat about looking at those in-transit units, is that customer ordered units are included in those. I found that out back in late 14/early 15, trying to get a hold of a in-bound unit before it hit the lot.
Sadly, this is true, though it shouldn't be. Those listed are supposed to be available, if one is a customer pre-order, it shouldn't show as being available. Any tactic to get you on the lot!

Paul
2016 Colorado LT, Ext Cab
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 05:50 PM

I never bought a new vehicle I didn't order. Used is a different issue, but these days a good dealer can find exactly what you want. When I got my 2010 Siverado LTZ I called my guy and told him I wanted a low mile crew cab, short bed LTZ and it had to have Trailer package, Bose and sunroof. In 4 days he had a year old, GM certified 11,000 mile truck with clean carfax for me to look at. I bought it. (For 12,000 less than it would have cost me with employee discount new). Just recently sold it. I drove that truck for 106,000 miles and almost 6 years for $7800.00 in depreciation.

Last edited by Esoxchaser; 02-03-2017 at 05:54 PM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 06:13 PM
JBT

Garage
When I ordered my 2016 Colorado, I negotiated a price first. I left a $200 refundable deposit. And made sure that, "refundable deposit" was in writing. If a dealer tried to tell me a deposit is not refundable, I would get out of there really fast. So, if I changed my mind at anytime, they would refund me the deposit. A good dealer knows they can sell the truck anyhow. You are not obligated to buy an ordered vehicle until it is delivered and you sign the papers. You should be able to walk away at any point before that. It is harder to negotiate on an ordered vehicle at most dealers, but still very possible. I'm lucky to have a lot of dealers in my area so I can shop around easily. The Laser Blue color is coming back mid year, which is just about now.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab

Last edited by JBT; 02-03-2017 at 06:29 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 06:33 PM

I ordered my '16 over the phone, no deposit or anything (But I have also purchased a dozen or so trucks from the same salesman at the same dealership.) . Nothing to negotiate, employee pricing is set by GM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I would get a better deal finding something on the lot. Seems like some uncertainty ordering. I might just chill for a week and then start over.

I want 2wd LT crew cab with luxury package in blue..v6, spray in liner, safety package, nav...and I think that's it. Most everything around here that are decent trim levels are 4wd.
JBT likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I would get a better deal finding something on the lot. Seems like some uncertainty ordering. I might just chill for a week and then start over.

I want 2wd LT crew cab with luxury package in blue..v6, spray in liner, safety package, nav...and I think that's it. Most everything around here that are decent trim levels are 4wd.
Don't limit yourself to Indiana...Look online at southern dealerships...They order mostly 2WD trucks down here!

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:12 PM

Get the tow package.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Get the tow package.
I was planning on it...forgot to list it. by tow package I assume you mean the "trailering equipment" and locking diff.

Luke
CaryBosse likes this.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to redferbclan Send a message via MSN to redferbclan
I'm really picky and the first new vehicle I bought, I was talked into something "close" to what I wanted and regretted it. When spending close to 45,000 for a new truck, I want exactly what I want, which was pretty much everything. Dealer gave me invoice price with no money down. Tried to negotiate when I picked it up and I said no, pulled out the paper we were working off of and said "this" is what you said it would be. no more argument. That is not to say that if they found EXACTLY what I wanted I wouldn't buy it, just make sure it's what you want.
GraniteBlue05 and RatRacer like this.

2016 Canyon SLT longbed 4x4 Duramax Summit White
Leather coca/dune
Nav/Bose
Spray in bed liner
Tow package
Chrome recovery hooks
Skid plate
Chrome running boards
Mud flaps
Tonneau cover
Door sill plates
Bed lighting
Red painted calipers
LED cargo lamps
LED back up lamps
LED reading and dome lamps
HID low beams
LED high beams
Yes, I got it pinstriped.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redferbclan View Post
I'm really picky and the first new vehicle I bought, I was talked into something "close" to what I wanted and regretted it. When spending close to 45,000 for a new truck, I want exactly what I want, which was pretty much everything. Dealer gave me invoice price with no money down. Tried to negotiate when I picked it up and I said no, pulled out the paper we were working off of and said "this" is what you said it would be. no more argument. That is not to say that if they found EXACTLY what I wanted I wouldn't buy it, just make sure it's what you want.
I agree. I have purchased off the lot most times, but also ordered out, perhaps, 6 or 7 times. All but a few times, I ended up buying optionals I did not want or not getting certain features I did want. I like buying mid trim levels with a select option package or two, without having to pay for something like a sun/moon roof, navigation or DVD entertainment system. Many times, there are top trim levels on lots or lower trim levels and not much in between.
CaryBosse likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:57 PM

I ordered because no dealer anywhere near my region had yet to order a diesel so there were none to be found anywhere. Even if there were any, I wanted a top of the line SLT diesel. Trucks like that are normally ordered with nearly all options. I had to find ways to save money. That meant no 4wd, nav or bose. I ended up with the truck I wanted for thosands lees than buying off the lot. Also, I got a truck that was factory fresh. No lot rot or test drives.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode