Anyone went from manual to auto canyon/colrado - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Anyone went from manual to auto canyon/colrado

Hi everyone,

I'm close to buying/trading a 2017 canyon SLE All Terrain Ext cab and I test drove a 2017 colorado (crew cab) today as they don't have canyon on a the lot right now but I mostly wanted to get a feel of the engine,transmission and driveability so it's pretty much the same.

I really like how it rides, very smooth and quiet, today was cold and windy (Canadian here, talking -20, -25 Celcius) and you could barely hear it.

One thing I noticed and seems it's the like that with all the automatic truck I test drove so far, I've been driving manual transmissions for nearly 15 years. Last 6 years I've been on 2 frontier, the one I currently own is a Pro 4x 2016. I can feel the colorado has plenty of power, but my frontier feels so much more peppier in manual configuration (4.10 Gear and 1st gear = super prime), I test drove the Pro 4x automatic and noticed the same. It's definitely smoother although I'm a pretty damn smooth shifter, but you can't be as consistent as with an automatic :p

Maybe I'm used to the manual after all these years, anyone made the switch from a manual truck/car to one of the twins ?

Did you get used to it and feel like the truck is clearly quite peppy ? Gas Pedal is not as responsive as my frontier but nothing that worries me, you get used to it.

Also, anyone feel like the console arm rest sits very high ? Again, i'm used to a lower arm rest

The reason I'm making a switch is because I injured myself pretty bad on my trials bike, mainly my left knee, broke my thumb at 2 places, and driving manual has been hell for the last 6 months and I'm far from healed (expecting a few years). I've always been a Frontier guy since I liked them better than tacomas and they were one of the fews that you could still get in 4x4 manual :) but I've always liked that chevy/gmc as my dad always had one of them.

Appreciate your input !

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:13 PM

Garage
You're feeling the computerized torque mgmt system these new fangled auto tranny's have, trying to make the smoothest shifts possible for the throttle input.
The seat and steering wheel adjustments do about enough to get a typical sized person into a near comfortable position. The lack of seat base tilt and power seat back angle cause some minor frustrations.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:40 AM

Once you get the feel of the auto you should enjoy having it especially since you liked the integrity of the platform ( nice ride, quiet etc.) you will appreciate having the work done for you. There is no suggestion from me that the engine is not " peppy, my Canyon Crew with a six speed and 306 hp will squeeze 25 mpg on trips and 22.9 around town or winter time and lousy gas.
Since you already have the truck I should think you have recognized all of these issues, report back with your likes/dislikes.

2017 Canyon Denali, crew, short bed, V6, 8spd, hard fold tonneau by Extang

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 03:46 PM

The s10 I had prior to my '16 Colorado had a manual 5 speed. Not by choice, it was a used truck and just happened to be there; it also had the 4 cylinder. My '16 has the 6 and the auto. Based on my experience; I'm going to be a V-6, auto person from now on!!

Loving my 2016 Colorado. Had it since February 2016!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:10 PM

My last car was a turbo 6spd. It's obviously nicer having full control but I love this truck and the new 8spd auto is supposed to be way better than the 6spd auto in my truck. In my opinion it's the throttle response that's annoying not the transmission.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:24 PM

Had a 5 speed tacoma for 16 years and went to this 2016 duramax and I must say never had an automatic truck (I'm 62) and I find this completely smooth...I was worried about loss of control but the 6 speed auto does what's need when.

2016 Colorado Duramax LT CyberGray Longbox 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode