Dilemma - What would you do? Canyon vs Colorado - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Pickle?

I would tend to call that fortunate.

Is that glass half full or half empty? I forget.
You are correct...at that time it was a blessing. We needed the extra cash!! Where the pickle came in was when I decided I wanted to get a truck and every dealer except for the last wanted to give me $4000 less that what I owed on it. All in all I am not complaining now

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:11 PM

Garage
I ordered a 2017 Canyon Denali from the factory. Figured might as well get exactly what I wanted.

Financed @3.35
OTD $46,483.95 ConocoPhillips fleet discount.

2017 Canyon SLT/Denali Crew Cab, Long Box 4SD
1GTP6EE13H11******
PEG: 4SD - SLT Option Package 4WD Denali
Primary Color: Dark Slate Metallic
Trim: INTERIOR TRIM CONFIG LEATHER, LEVEL 4, JET BLACK
Engine: Engine: Diesel, 2.8L, L4, Turbo, DI
Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
Event Code: 4200
MSRP: $48,855.00
Inventory Status: In transit
VEHICLE OPTIONS
:
Chargeable Options MSRP

5VI - LPO, Cargo Tie-Down Rings (Set of 4) $120.00
GPA - Dark Slate Metallic $395.00
K05 - Engine Block Heater $100.00
LWN - Engine: Diesel, 2.8L, L4, Turbo, DI $3,730.00
VQK - LPO, Splash Guards $170.00
VQY - LPO, Chrome Recovery Hooks $200.00
VTG - LPO, Interior Trim Kit, Techno Steel $180.00
R6B - XM RADIO SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE -$100.00
R6J - CUSTOMER DIALOGUE NETWORK $0.00

Last edited by mrrosado; 02-16-2017 at 06:14 PM.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrosado View Post
I ordered a 2017 Canyon Denali from the factory. Figured might as well get exactly what I wanted.

Financed @3.35
OTD $46,483.95 ConocoPhillips fleet discount.

2017 Canyon SLT/Denali Crew Cab, Long Box 4SD
1GTP6EE13H11******
PEG: 4SD - SLT Option Package 4WD Denali
Primary Color: Dark Slate Metallic
Trim: INTERIOR TRIM CONFIG LEATHER, LEVEL 4, JET BLACK
Engine: Engine: Diesel, 2.8L, L4, Turbo, DI
Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
Event Code: 4200
MSRP: $48,855.00
Inventory Status: In transit
VEHICLE OPTIONS
:
Chargeable Options MSRP

5VI - LPO, Cargo Tie-Down Rings (Set of 4) $120.00
GPA - Dark Slate Metallic $395.00
K05 - Engine Block Heater $100.00
LWN - Engine: Diesel, 2.8L, L4, Turbo, DI $3,730.00
VQK - LPO, Splash Guards $170.00
VQY - LPO, Chrome Recovery Hooks $200.00
VTG - LPO, Interior Trim Kit, Techno Steel $180.00
R6B - XM RADIO SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE -$100.00
R6J - CUSTOMER DIALOGUE NETWORK $0.00
Wow....You guys have pay allot for trucks in Alaska!!!

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:56 PM
Duc

Garage
Having owned them both, just traded 16 CO for a 17 Canyon I say drive them both.
We were never truly happy with CO but we're both in love with Canyon instantly.
Clif
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
I have been looking into one of the twins for a little while, and now with the new LGZ + 8sp, I think it is time to get one.

Ideally, I would want the following:

2017 GMC Canyon SLE All Terrain (V6 LGZ + 8AT)
Onyx Black
All Terrain Package
SLE Convenience Package
Bose 7 Speaker System
Spray on Bedliner
Trailering Package
All Weather Floor Liner

Near me, the closest vehicle to that also has the All Terrain X package, and the dealer wants about $39k for it (haven't gotten to the details of trying to get that lower, but it seemed like they aren't willing to budge.)

Near me there is also the following:

2017 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 (V6 LGZ + 8AT)
Cyber Gray Metallic
Trailering Equipment
5" Rectangular Assist Steps
Bose 7 Speaker System
Spray on Bedliner
Black Bowtie Package

This dealer wants $34k for it (because of Bonus Cash, etc)

To get equipped to what I would want, I would just need to add All Weather Floor Liners, so it's essentially equivalent, but I much more prefer the look of the Canyons, especially for the plate winch bumpers that I would plan to eventually get for it, but also, the interior is just nicer in the All Terrain than in the Z71.

Now to throw a wrench in this, Laura GMC in IL has a Canyon All Terrain for around the price of the Z71 near me, but they don't lease out of state. My father lives in IL, so theoretically, I could use his address for the lease and then "move back to Colorado" after the paperwork is done. Even still, I hear Laura is not great at leases anyway since they puff up the money factor so badly.
Plus I don't want fly out there and drive 12 hours back and start with an immediate 900 miles on it.

If I get the Z71, I would be worried I would regret the styling difference, but the $5k difference is significant for sure. And I know I can get lease stuff figured out with an in-state dealer.

So, given this info, what would you do?
Buy a Ridgeline...? ahaha JK

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:00 PM

Monkeyracer,

These dealers in Denver have their heads up their backsides when it comes to pricing their trucks - they won't budge. Maybe go to Nebraska? CO has gotten stupid expensive in every way lately.

I plan to fly and buy with Laura. The trip home will be a good time to get to know my new 4 wheeled friend

Last edited by Duken4evr; 02-16-2017 at 07:04 PM.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc View Post
Having owned them both, just traded 16 CO for a 17 Canyon I say drive them both.
We were never truly happy with CO but we're both in love with Canyon instantly.
Clif
Well, I tried to drive the Canyon today, but the whole bait and switch thing got me out of that dealership quick. Will try a different dealership a little further away tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Buy a Ridgeline...? ahaha JK
You can leave now.
Actually, the new ridgeline is a step in the right direction, but no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Monkeyracer,

These dealers in Denver have their heads up their backsides when it comes to pricing their trucks - they won't budge. Maybe go to Nebraska? CO has gotten stupid expensive in every way lately.

I plan to fly and buy with Laura. The trip home will be a good time to get to know my new 4 wheeled friend
It's more that I have a 9 month old with another cooking in the wife. A two- or three-day trip to go pick up a new truck is not something that she will appreciate. She won't want to come with, and won't want me gone that long...

But, doing some math:

930 miles from Laura GMC @ about 20 mpg means about 46.5 gallons of gas, at about $3/gallon is about $140 in gas, add let's say $300 for a plane ticket, and maybe $50 for a hotel half the way back. That's about $500 or so. Even if transport and delivery is $1000, I'd still probably rather pay than to do that drive. One other option would be to have Dad drive it back, and split the cost of a plane ticket to fly him home, giving him a chance to see all the grandkids, etc.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:03 PM

For the model I want (SLT CCLB diesel) Laura is about 5 grand cheaper than the local dealers. Frontier flights are $50 if you are careful booking, and Laura will pick you up at the airport. They do a lot of these. Concur on the $50 flea bag hotel ;)

My wife actually wants to come, and I kinda prefer to go solo, but good either way - gotta keep marital harmony you know - haha...
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:26 PM

Garage
I think we pay a bit less in Alaska. Here there is no sales or state tax. "At least no sales tax in Anchorage" The Canyon Denali diesel starts out at $44,115.00. The price I have listed is out the door with any and all fee's included.

I might be wrong, but it seemed like a good deal to me.

What's the tax in NC on a new truck?
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
For the model I want (SLT CCLB diesel) Laura is about 5 grand cheaper than the local dealers. Frontier flights are $50 if you are careful booking, and Laura will pick you up at the airport. They do a lot of these. Concur on the $50 flea bag hotel ;)

My wife actually wants to come, and I kinda prefer to go solo, but good either way - gotta keep marital harmony you know - haha...
I don't fit in Frontier's seats. I'm 6'4" and will never fly with them again, no matter what the price is. (Right now, there's a frontier flight for $73, next least expensive is united for about $230.)
I fly somewhat often for work, and will refuse to let them book me for a frontier flight.
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Tomorrow, I am going to look at an All Terrain X with Sport Bar, at least to see how the interior is compared to the Colorado. They want $42k for this truck, but unless they want to match Laura, they aren't getting the sale.

Interesting to note that in the Denver area there are the following V6 2017 All Terrains:

The Onyx Black All Terrain X I am going to look at tomorrow.
Red Quartz Tintcoat All Terrain X "In Transit" for $40k.

And that's all. There are about a dozen Duramax All Terrains, but when I talked to a different dealer, they said they are not moving as fast as the V6s because of the price premium. Most are looking into Sierras and Silverados when they see the price for the Diesel according to him. I think this is why the dealers around here don't want to budge on pricing, they don't have a bunch of these lying around (although there are about a dozen '16s though.)

When you look at Colorados though, I can find Z71's discounted to similar pricing to Laura GMC.
I'll be honest, the Colorado look is growing on me, but I want to see the Canyon tomorrow to see if that makes or breaks my decision.
post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

OK, I drove the All Terrain, and yes I like it a lot better than the Z71. The interior is definitely nicer, and I'm not sure why, but it felt faster. This dealership let me take it on a solo test drive, so I was more inclined to get into the throttle. While I was testing it, there were more than a few times I caught someone in the next car over checking the truck out, and specifically saw an Escalade driver look it over, and give the approving nod.

So, now it is only a matter of finding one at the right price (and waiting to hear back about my old car and the extent of the damage.) This dealer was willing to go as low as supplier pricing (which I already was going to try since I have the workplace discount) but didn't seem they would do more than that.

On another note the dealer where the Z71 was at called to let me know he had a black one that just became a "bonus tag" vehicle, so it would end up being the $34k like the Gray one. If I can't get the price down on the canyon's locally, and I can't work out something with Laura, that may be the way to go. (Might be worth saving $5k to get the Colorado over the Canyon.)
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

OK, I found a 17 Canyon SLE All Terrain in state with the following:

Onyx Black
All Terrain
Trailering Package (with Trailer Brake Controller)
Spray On Bedliner

MSRP - $38,585
Supplier Price - $36,820.46
Conquest Rebate - $2000.00

Sale Price - $34,820.46
$3764.54 off MSRP

Laura has a similar All Terrain:

Onyx Black
All Terrain
Trailering Package (no Trailer Brake Controller)

MSRP - $37,880
Sale Price - $32,870
$5010 off MSRP

If I added the Spray in liner to the Laura one, plus about $1k for having to go get it, etc., I'd be at $34,370, which is only a couple hundred less than the in state dealer. Add in the fact Laura doesn't like to do leases, and I would have to worry about the value they would give for the trade, etc. It looks like this in state dealer might get the sale.

Now, I just need my car back from the body shop to go get the trade valuated.
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Onyx Black
All Terrain
Spray On Bedliner

MSRP - $38,585

Sale Price - $34,820.46
$3764.54 off MSRP

Onyx Black
All Terrain

MSRP - $37,880
Sale Price - $32,870
$5010 off MSRP

If I added the Spray in liner to the Laura one, plus about $1k for having to go get it, etc., I'd be at $34,370, which is only a couple hundred less than the in state dealer. Add in the fact Laura doesn't like to do leases, and I would have to worry about the value they would give for the trade, etc. It looks like this in state dealer might get the sale.

When you add in the convenience of what I assume is the factory integrated brake controller, it would be an easy decision for me. I would love to have that feature on my truck versus the controller I have to deal with. Oh, and `$100 for the controller itself.

I bet that the integrated controller is worth a little on trade in to boot.
Duken4evr likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:26 PM

Your dealers in TX are more flexible than the dealers are here in CO, especially of one wants a diesel. They are trying to peddle used trucks with 15K miles on them for more than you are buying your new truck for. Sounds like you got yourself a good deal.

The conquest rebate should apply to Laura too though. Laura's prices are standalone, any rebates from GM are in addition to the Laura discount. Been checking Everett lately, they seem to be about 1K higher than Laura and they are probably quite a bit closer to you.

I'm grinding pretty hard on the price I pay as I am dropping cash for the truck and plan to keep it for at least 10 years. A couple grand saved is a couple grand less out of my pocket in the here and now. Have always bought cars this way. Kind of a freak in that regard...

Last edited by Duken4evr; 02-22-2017 at 02:28 PM.
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Your dealers in TX are more flexible than the dealers are here in CO, especially of one wants a diesel. They are trying to peddle used trucks with 15K miles on them for more than you are buying your new truck for. Sounds like you got yourself a good deal.

The conquest rebate should apply to Laura too though. Laura's prices are standalone, any rebates from GM are in addition to the Laura discount. Been checking Everett lately, they seem to be about 1K higher than Laura and they are probably quite a bit closer to you.

I'm grinding pretty hard on the price I pay as I am dropping cash for the truck and plan to keep it for at least 10 years. A couple grand saved is a couple grand less out of my pocket in the here and now. Have always bought cars this way. Kind of a freak in that regard...
I'm in Colorado...

The conquest rebate sounded like a lease rebate. Laura will not do out of state leases, so it doesn't seem to apply. Can't find anything on GMC or GMs website about the offer though.
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:34 PM

Ahh, gotcha. That makes sense on the 2K rebate being for lease only, otherwise Laura's site would show it. They have 1K rebates that seem to pop up every few weeks. Will probably just catch one of those and call it a day.

Some pretty sweet weather in CO lately. I need to find some time to get on my motorcycle...
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:34 PM

Garage
Quote:

Onyx Black
All Terrain
Spray On Bedliner

MSRP - $38,585

Sale Price - $34,820.46
$3764.54 off MSRP

Onyx Black
All Terrain

MSRP - $37,880
Sale Price - $32,870
$5010 off MSRP

If you are dealing with a trade or want to lease you are better off staying close to home. No way it would cost you $1000 to go get it. Maybe $500...one way flight, one night in a hotel gas and food...probably less.

post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrosado View Post
I think we pay a bit less in Alaska. Here there is no sales or state tax. "At least no sales tax in Anchorage" The Canyon Denali diesel starts out at $44,115.00. The price I have listed is out the door with any and all fee's included.

I might be wrong, but it seemed like a good deal to me.

What's the tax in NC on a new truck?
I guess that just seems high..but probably not any higher than anywhere else. Being in Alaska you really don't have an option of just taking a one way flight to another state and drive it back home. The flight would be expensive and the drive would be ludicrous. I know you could have gotten another $4000 off that truck at a place like Laura's if they had what you wanted. Sales Tax in NC on cars is a flat 3%. I used to live in Oregon and they did not have sales tax either...which was good...and bad...hard to get much off MSRP over there as dealerships thought because you don't pay tax you should pay more for the vehicle.

post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
If you are dealing with a trade or want to lease you are better off staying close to home. No way it would cost you $1000 to go get it. Maybe $500...one way flight, one night in a hotel gas and food...probably less.
I looked at the trip cost for a fly there, drive back situation:

Quote:
It's more that I have a 9 month old with another cooking in the wife. A two- or three-day trip to go pick up a new truck is not something that she will appreciate. She won't want to come with, and won't want me gone that long...

But, doing some math:

930 miles from Laura GMC @ about 20 mpg means about 46.5 gallons of gas, at about $3/gallon is about $140 in gas, add let's say $300 for a plane ticket, and maybe $50 for a hotel half the way back. That's about $500 or so. Even if transport and delivery is $1000, I'd still probably rather pay than to do that drive. One other option would be to have Dad drive it back, and split the cost of a plane ticket to fly him home, giving him a chance to see all the grandkids, etc.
If I drove my trade there, it would be a 4 day trip minimum. One day to get half way, stay at motel, one day to get to STL, buy truck, stay at dad's, one day to get half the way back, stay at motel, one day to get home. $280 in gas, 4 days worth of food, 2 nights in crappy whatever motel, yeah, that's not as much as flying and driving back. But, 4 days means I need to take time from work, and the wife would not be cool with having to watch the baby alone for 4 days just so I can go get my truck.

Laura is great for a lot of situations, but it seems mine is not their forte.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode