Dilemma - What would you do? Canyon vs Colorado - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Dilemma - What would you do? Canyon vs Colorado

I have been looking into one of the twins for a little while, and now with the new LGZ + 8sp, I think it is time to get one.

Ideally, I would want the following:

2017 GMC Canyon SLE All Terrain (V6 LGZ + 8AT)
Onyx Black
All Terrain Package
SLE Convenience Package
Bose 7 Speaker System
Spray on Bedliner
Trailering Package
All Weather Floor Liner

Near me, the closest vehicle to that also has the All Terrain X package, and the dealer wants about $39k for it (haven't gotten to the details of trying to get that lower, but it seemed like they aren't willing to budge.)

Near me there is also the following:

2017 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 (V6 LGZ + 8AT)
Cyber Gray Metallic
Trailering Equipment
5" Rectangular Assist Steps
Bose 7 Speaker System
Spray on Bedliner
Black Bowtie Package

This dealer wants $34k for it (because of Bonus Cash, etc)

To get equipped to what I would want, I would just need to add All Weather Floor Liners, so it's essentially equivalent, but I much more prefer the look of the Canyons, especially for the plate winch bumpers that I would plan to eventually get for it, but also, the interior is just nicer in the All Terrain than in the Z71.

Now to throw a wrench in this, Laura GMC in IL has a Canyon All Terrain for around the price of the Z71 near me, but they don't lease out of state. My father lives in IL, so theoretically, I could use his address for the lease and then "move back to Colorado" after the paperwork is done. Even still, I hear Laura is not great at leases anyway since they puff up the money factor so badly.
Plus I don't want fly out there and drive 12 hours back and start with an immediate 900 miles on it.

If I get the Z71, I would be worried I would regret the styling difference, but the $5k difference is significant for sure. And I know I can get lease stuff figured out with an in-state dealer.

So, given this info, what would you do?
JPR60 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:00 PM

Are both 4WD? Correct me if I am wrong, but for 2017, both models have the Auto 4WD included?

What would each dealer be willing to negotiate if you ordered? (Actually, that probably only applies to the Canyon as the Colorado sounds like it is already there.)

I'd take the Colorado quote to the GMC dealer and say match it or I am buying a Colorado. For me, assuming apples-apples, that $5K difference on a 2017 is significant enough I would have chosen the Colorado myself.

Note that on the 2017, most of the technical differences that existed between the two models in 2015 have disappeared.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Black Bowtie Package
_ _ _ _ much more prefer the look of the Canyons, especially for the plate winch bumpers that I would plan to eventually get for it, but also, the interior is just nicer in the All Terrain than in the Z71.

I think you answered your own question. I'm a Colorado guy, but based on what you say, you want the Canyon.

As to leasing. . . I would never lease.. unless it's no money down and incredibly low mo payment.
Red20, 404 Not Found and km4rzt like this.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
I think you answered your own question. I'm a Colorado guy, but based on what you say, you want the Canyon.

As to leasing. . . I would never lease.. unless it's no money down and incredibly low mo payment.
When you drive 24K miles a year, it is real hard to justify a lease. And from that standpoint, adding 900 miles to the truck on a lease on day 1 does seem a bit self-defeating.
GraniteBlue05 likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to haulingnothing
Quote:
I have been looking into one of the twins for a little while, and now with the new LGZ + 8sp, I think it is time to get one.

Ideally, I would want the following:

2017 GMC Canyon SLE All Terrain (V6 LGZ + 8AT)
Onyx Black
All Terrain Package
SLE Convenience Package
Bose 7 Speaker System
Spray on Bedliner
Trailering Package
All Weather Floor Liner

Near me, the closest vehicle to that also has the All Terrain X package, and the dealer wants about $39k for it (haven't gotten to the details of trying to get that lower, but it seemed like they aren't willing to budge.)

Near me there is also the following:

2017 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 (V6 LGZ + 8AT)
Cyber Gray Metallic
Trailering Equipment
5" Rectangular Assist Steps
Bose 7 Speaker System
Spray on Bedliner
Black Bowtie Package

This dealer wants $34k for it (because of Bonus Cash, etc)

To get equipped to what I would want, I would just need to add All Weather Floor Liners, so it's essentially equivalent, but I much more prefer the look of the Canyons, especially for the plate winch bumpers that I would plan to eventually get for it, but also, the interior is just nicer in the All Terrain than in the Z71.

Now to throw a wrench in this, Laura GMC in IL has a Canyon All Terrain for around the price of the Z71 near me, but they don't lease out of state. My father lives in IL, so theoretically, I could use his address for the lease and then "move back to Colorado" after the paperwork is done. Even still, I hear Laura is not great at leases anyway since they puff up the money factor so badly.
Plus I don't want fly out there and drive 12 hours back and start with an immediate 900 miles on it.

If I get the Z71, I would be worried I would regret the styling difference, but the $5k difference is significant for sure. And I know I can get lease stuff figured out with an in-state dealer.

1. You clearly prefer the Canyon, so get a Canyon.
2. You plan to switch out bumpers, so don't lease. If Laura is the best deal, buy it there. If it costs you 900 miles to get $5K savings, that's still a great deal.
CaryBosse and km4rzt like this.

2016 Colorado - 2WD Extended Cab LT V6 - Laser Blue - Shoreline Edition

Plasti-Dipped badges - Air dam delete - DRL switch mod - OPT7 LED low beams - Moroso catch can - Pedal Commander
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulingnothing View Post
2. You plan to switch out bumpers, so don't lease. If Laura is the best deal, buy it there. If it costs you 900 miles to get $5K savings, that's still a great deal.
Plus you can visit dear old dad. He misses you since you moved away.

post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:07 PM

First, I would not lease. That is your call though.

I like the Denali Duramax so the choice for me is easy. While I do like how the Colorado looks, it doesn't have what the Denali has or I'd get or consider one.

When it is time, I will be flying to Laura GMC then driving the truck home and I'm 1,179 miles away and the miles won't bother me at all as I'm buying and will only be using the truck on rainy days or through the winter as I have a dual sport bike I commute on for a 10-12 round trip every day. The savings is massive at Laura GMC.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:18 PM

Garage
Do not lease...purchase your truck. Trucks hold there value better than cars, so it will be worth something when you get tired of it and want something else. I would go to Laura in a heartbeat. You cannot beat their prices and you don't have to haggle. Laura has the truck you really want, so go with it. I have the All Terrain X package on mine and I can tell you I paid more than $39000, but that was due to them giving me so much more for my trade in than anybody else would by a large margin. Really had little room to negotiate on that one.
CaryBosse likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
Do not lease...purchase your truck. Trucks hold there value better than cars, so it will be worth something when you get tired of it and want something else. I would go to Laura in a heartbeat. You cannot beat their prices and you don't have to haggle. Laura has the truck you really want, so go with it. I have the All Terrain X package on mine and I can tell you I paid more than $39000, but that was due to them giving me so much more for my trade in than anybody else would by a large margin. Really had little room to negotiate on that one.
I hope Laura survives till it is time to replace my truck. (2020 timeframe.) I think I would drive that distance. They are very centrally located, I was thinking closer to Chicago. Driving easy to break in a new truck, probably looking at 12 hours.

I purchased my 1985 Chevy S-10 Blazer from a low overhead dealer that was one of the first I ever saw offer a $50 over dealer invoice pricing. They didn't last but about 6 months with that business model. For a 1985 quality level, as I think about it, that was a heck of a truck. I can't remember any warranty repairs that were required at all.
papasmurf1958 likes this.

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I hope Laura survives till it is time to replace my truck. (2020 timeframe.) I think I would drive that distance. They are very centrally located, I was thinking closer to Chicago. Driving easy to break in a new truck, probably looking at 12 hours.

I purchased my 1985 Chevy S-10 Blazer from a low overhead dealer that was one of the first I ever saw offer a $50 over dealer invoice pricing. They didn't last but about 6 months with that business model. For a 1985 quality level, as I think about it, that was a heck of a truck. I can't remember any warranty repairs that were required at all.
One way ticket to St. Louis from Charlotte is pretty cheap. They will pick you up at the St. Louis airport if you are buying a truck from them. One night in a hotel along the way plus the cheap air fair is well worth the cost savings and your truck is broke in by the time you get home!

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Are both 4WD? Correct me if I am wrong, but for 2017, both models have the Auto 4WD included?

What would each dealer be willing to negotiate if you ordered? (Actually, that probably only applies to the Canyon as the Colorado sounds like it is already there.)

I'd take the Colorado quote to the GMC dealer and say match it or I am buying a Colorado. For me, assuming apples-apples, that $5K difference on a 2017 is significant enough I would have chosen the Colorado myself.

Note that on the 2017, most of the technical differences that existed between the two models in 2015 have disappeared.
Yes, 4WD is a must for me living at 7500 ft with the amount of snow we get. I haven't looked at if they would be willing to negotiate if I ordered a truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post

I don't dislike the look of the Colorado, but prefer the Canyon better, but maybe not $5k better.

I have leased the last 3 cars, all because I put nothing down other than document fees, and my payments are where I want them to be. At the end of the lease, I can turn it in and walk away, buy it from the leasing company, or trade for another vehicle. In a lot of cases, leases are not worth it, but I've done the math on a few scenarios, and typically, it was better for me to lease.

Quote:
When you drive 24K miles a year, it is real hard to justify a lease. And from that standpoint, adding 900 miles to the truck on a lease on day 1 does seem a bit self-defeating.
I drive about that much, but always get 10k/yr leases. The mileage limit only really applies if you turn in the vehicle at the end of the lease, so for me, I'd rather save a little each month, and at the end of the lease weigh the options that I listed above to see what the best situation is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulingnothing View Post
With my past leased cars, I have done numerous modifications. You just have to be willing/able to reverse them if you turn in the car, or understand that you might pay a little bit toward damages.

Quote:
Plus you can visit dear old dad. He misses you since you moved away.
Actually, he moved away from us for his job... but I digress.

Quote:
One of the reasons I was looking into leasing was BECAUSE they hold their value so well. With a lease, you are buying the depreciation on the vehicle. Or at least the "expected" depreciation on the vehicle. If it depreciates quicker than you are paying, then turn it in and walk away, if it doesn't, then you can use the "equity" in it to trade up to the next new thing. This is exactly what I've done with my 3 previous leases. At the end, I was typically ahead of the depreciation, and I used the equity toward the next one. Always driving a less than 3 year old vehicle is nice.
I'm trying to break the habit though, and actually keep a car for a long time, but it has to make sense financially to me first.

On another note, scratch the above Canyon. I went to the dealer on my lunch break and they run a total bait and switch operation there. The vehicle above sold like 4 days ago, but is still listed on their website, and when I called to see if they still had it, they said yes. They also have a '17 Sierra SLT All Terrain with a lift, graphics and wheels/tires on their site for $46k, but what it doesn't say anywhere is the $46 is before you also have to pay for the lift and stuff. So really, it's a $57k truck. False advertising, misleading BS. They tried to get me into a '16 SLT in Cardinal Red for "up to $10k off", when I asked how much, they said $37k would be the price, which is nowhere near $10k off. The LGZ and Z71 Suspension are definitely worth getting.

It may turn out that I get the Canyon from Laura, but I need to make sure the numbers work out. If I finance it, the payments have to be spot on or else it's no go, that is if they actually can't lease it.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
One way ticket to St. Louis from Charlotte is pretty cheap. They will pick you up at the St. Louis airport if you are buying a truck from them. One night in a hotel along the way plus the cheap air fair is well worth the cost savings and your truck is broke in by the time you get home!
I might look for a train ride - would love to ride Amtrak to St. Louis. One of my favorite songs is City of New Orleans performed by Arlo Gutherie. My grandfather worked for the railroad all his life (and never owned a car) but I have never taken a commercial train ride. Just $105.00.

That would make getting your new truck an experience you would never forget.

Yeh, I thought about the fact that about the time I pulled into DFW, the truck would just be broken in good.

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

You don't really want to break in an engine on the highway though. You need to vary the RPMs and get the piston rings to seat at varying loads.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yes, 4WD is a must for me living at 7500 ft with the amount of snow we get. I haven't looked at if they would be willing to negotiate if I ordered a truck.

I don't dislike the look of the Colorado, but prefer the Canyon better, but maybe not $5k better.

I have leased the last 3 cars, all because I put nothing down other than document fees, and my payments are where I want them to be. At the end of the lease, I can turn it in and walk away, buy it from the leasing company, or trade for another vehicle. In a lot of cases, leases are not worth it, but I've done the math on a few scenarios, and typically, it was better for me to lease.

I drive about that much, but always get 10k/yr leases. The mileage limit only really applies if you turn in the vehicle at the end of the lease, so for me, I'd rather save a little each month, and at the end of the lease weigh the options that I listed above to see what the best situation is.

With my past leased cars, I have done numerous modifications. You just have to be willing/able to reverse them if you turn in the car, or understand that you might pay a little bit toward damages.

Actually, he moved away from us for his job... but I digress.

One of the reasons I was looking into leasing was BECAUSE they hold their value so well. With a lease, you are buying the depreciation on the vehicle. Or at least the "expected" depreciation on the vehicle. If it depreciates quicker than you are paying, then turn it in and walk away, if it doesn't, then you can use the "equity" in it to trade up to the next new thing. This is exactly what I've done with my 3 previous leases. At the end, I was typically ahead of the depreciation, and I used the equity toward the next one. Always driving a less than 3 year old vehicle is nice.
I'm trying to break the habit though, and actually keep a car for a long time, but it has to make sense financially to me first.

On another note, scratch the above Canyon. I went to the dealer on my lunch break and they run a total bait and switch operation there. The vehicle above sold like 4 days ago, but is still listed on their website, and when I called to see if they still had it, they said yes. They also have a '17 Sierra SLT All Terrain with a lift, graphics and wheels/tires on their site for $46k, but what it doesn't say anywhere is the $46 is before you also have to pay for the lift and stuff. So really, it's a $57k truck. False advertising, misleading BS. They tried to get me into a '16 SLT in Cardinal Red for "up to $10k off", when I asked how much, they said $37k would be the price, which is nowhere near $10k off. The LGZ and Z71 Suspension are definitely worth getting.

It may turn out that I get the Canyon from Laura, but I need to make sure the numbers work out. If I finance it, the payments have to be spot on or else it's no go, that is if they actually can't lease it.
Yep leasing has its advantages for sure. If I had leased that BMW I traded in, instead of purchasing it, I would not have been in the boat I was in when it got rear ended 3 weeks after I purchased it, causing $11000 in damages and a huge drop in value. That is why I paid too much for my Canyon. Went to multiple dealerships that would only offer me $14,000 tops on a car I owed $18000 on. The dealership I purchased my Canyon from offered me $22000 for it, so I ended up paying about $40000 for my truck, but I was out from underneath that wrecked car and had $4000 for a down payment on the truck.

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
You don't really want to break in an engine on the highway though. You need to vary the RPMs and get the piston rings to seat at varying loads.
Who says you have to take the highway the entire way back. I know I wouldn't. Plenty of scenic roads to take going through the Smokies on the way back

post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I know, have broke in a few engines. I rarely run cruise anyway. Drop off the interstate and see some sights, make it a leisurely drive.

The train from here to St. Louis arrives at 7:30 AM. Pick up truck early in the day, head over to the St. Louis Arch, have only seen it from the air. Grab some lunch, drive a few hours. Spend the night, maybe in Branson? Hit the road next morning and drive through the mountains of Arkansas/East Oklahoma maybe, arrive in DFW just about rush hour.
Hunter62 likes this.

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yep leasing has its advantages for sure. If I had leased that BMW I traded in, instead of purchasing it, I would not have been in the boat I was in when it got rear ended 3 weeks after I purchased it, causing $11000 in damages and a huge drop in value. That is why I paid too much for my Canyon. Went to multiple dealerships that would only offer me $14,000 tops on a car I owed $18000 on. The dealership I purchased my Canyon from offered me $22000 for it, so I ended up paying about $40000 for my truck, but I was out from underneath that wrecked car and had $4000 for a down payment on the truck.
Speaking of....
The reason I am even looking into this right now is that I was rear ended last week in my Subaru that had less than 5k miles on it. I can file for diminished value claim for the difference between what I could have traded for if it was not ever in an accident vs what I actually see for the trade value. (You should probably look into this for your BMW... get you some of that money back)
I looked into the twins before I got this Subie, but at the time, it was only the 16s and the old engine/trans, and I was very unimpressed at the time.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Who says you have to take the highway the entire way back. I know I wouldn't. Plenty of scenic roads to take going through the Smokies on the way back
It's all Kansas on the way back for me. There's really nothing to see through Kansas.
I would consider paying a transport company though. I've seen quotes in the range of $700, and to save me having to put the miles and spend the drive time vs the cost of the trip, it might be worth it.
BeastStarr68 likes this.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Speaking of....
The reason I am even looking into this right now is that I was rear ended last week in my Subaru that had less than 5k miles on it. I can file for diminished value claim for the difference between what I could have traded for if it was not ever in an accident vs what I actually see for the trade value. (You should probably look into this for your BMW... get you some of that money back)
I looked into the twins before I got this Subie, but at the time, it was only the 16s and the old engine/trans, and I was very unimpressed at the time.
I filed a diminished value claim and got a check for $7000 after all the repairs and car rental were paid for. Normally I would have put that back into the equity of the car...but I got laid off and we had to use that money to help live on and pay bills until I got another job. Therefore I was in a pickle

post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I filed a diminished value claim and got a check for $7000 after all the repairs and car rental were paid for. Normally I would have put that back into the equity of the car...but I got laid off and we had to use that money to help live on and pay bills until I got another job. Therefore I was in a pickle
Pickle?

I would tend to call that fortunate.

Is that glass half full or half empty? I forget.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode