ZR2 Order Thread - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:28 AM

Well I did some checking as to when the Extended Cabs can be ordered. To this point no one is talking.

I e mailed Chevy and someone overseas with poor English did not answer my question let along give a coherent reply.

Dealers have no clue either. They all said they will send me a copy of the build sheet but they all tend to forget I specifically stated I wanted a Extended Cab. Does anyone listen anymore?

As for demand I have found so far in my area all the dealers have trucks coming but I appear to be the only one who has asked about it.

Waiting for a Extended cab is a bummer but in the end will save me money as I expect the gouging will be gone by then.

No way in hell will I pay MSRP for any vehicle.

I may even punt and go back to the Canyon I originally was looking at. It is about the same price and they are willing to work on the price.

If I could stomach a long bed Crew I found a loaded $40K one for $34K my price new. I just am not a fan of the long truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCam View Post
This seems really close. I think they are high for the diesel option and not sure why additional price for trans. Everything I have seen shows a 3700 price tag for diesel and no cost for trans. I was expecting a 45-47K MSRP for a Crew Cab. I am guessing "invoice" to be around 46.5K for your specs.

I agree. I thought the trans was not an additional cost as well. When I spoke with him he said the diesel upgrade was different for this model. Some trim levels had a $3700 diesel and some had a $4600 engine. Does anyone have any insight about that? Is it true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #43 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharv2221 View Post
I agree. I thought the trans was not an additional cost as well. When I spoke with him he said the diesel upgrade was different for this model. Some trim levels had a $3700 diesel and some had a $4600 engine. Does anyone have any insight about that? Is it true?

If the truck is 2WD drive, diesel is a 4965 upcharge but for any 4WD currently available they list for 3730. Neither option charges for the transmission change.

post #44 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Latest news, my order just went to 3000 status. On the Next update I will get the Target Production Week.
post #45 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:33 AM

Update from Chevy. I suspect the Extended Cabs will be a 2018 and here is a note from Chevy on when the 2018 will go into production.

Dear Scott

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet and for your interest in the 2018 Colorado ZR2! We appreciate the time you have taken to write us as well as giving us the opportunity to assist you. We apologize for the delay in responding to your email.

The 2018 Colorado is scheduled to start production mid July 2017. Vehicles generally begin arriving at dealers about 6 to 8 weeks later. Please keep in mind that production dates are preliminary and subject to change and not all colors, options and configurations may be available at the start of production. Therefore, we encourage you to stay in touch with your preferred dealership on when they can place the order with your desired options. When we come closer to the start of production and you would like assistance getting in contact with a dealership, please respond to this email with your complete mailing address.

At Chevrolet, we strive to provide exceptional customer service. If we can be of any further assistance please email us or call 1-800-950-2438 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Time, and Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thank you for contacting Chevrolet!

Sincerely,

The Chevrolet Marketing Team
http://www.chevrolet.com

What this means is if all goes as planned if you want a 2018 you should be able to order late May.

If I recall orders cut off around May 15th and the order guide goes on line around the first week of May.

This way you can order a 2018 in late may and it will be about 8-10 weeks.

Note there could be some changes to the truck options. I do not expect anything major but who know Red Hot just may show up?

I will post anything else I can find out.
Johng724 likes this.
post #46 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Here's what my dealer sent me. It's preliminary but this is a crew cab with the duramax and a few extras.

Attachment 219065

Appears your dealer may have another "miscalculation"...ZR2 facebook page has someone stating the crew cab being priced at 42,620 base. I guess we will all just have to sit and wait for the real numbers.
post #47 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:57 PM
KMW

Talking to a dealer it sounds like what GM is doing is allowing an initial order of limited numbers to dealers for an initial build run, then no more orders. Then regular production will begin as 2018 models under normal allocation rules.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #48 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCam View Post
If the truck is 2WD drive, diesel is a 4965 upcharge but for any 4WD currently available they list for 3730. Neither option charges for the transmission change.
Where did you find this price breakdown? I am meeting with my dealer tonight and I'm going to question the diesel upgrade price that he quoted me.
post #49 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMW View Post
Talking to a dealer it sounds like what GM is doing is allowing an initial order of limited numbers to dealers for an initial build run, then no more orders. Then regular production will begin as 2018 models under normal allocation rules.

That is what I posted above.

Since time is short GM is going to build around one truck per dealer and they are only going to offer the crew cab. Some dealers are getting greedy and thinking this is a limited truck so use care in pricing.

I was able to confirm today from Chevy as in my post that the 2018 models will be started in early July as normal. This means the orders will go in late may for the 2018.

The truck next year will be a regular production truck and be like any other Z71 as they will build you one if you want it.

I would not be surprised to see these on lots next year waiting for buyers just as the Midnight editions I see at most dealers today.

I would watch the fleet order site as it will open for new models in early May. That is when it updates most models.

I do not really expect much changes for 2018 accept for wireless charging to be standard on most trucks. We may see some color changes and maybe some small option editions but no major changes.

Keep in mind also when buying here that these while they will be popular with some they will find limited buyers just because of the price. Most people will not pay this much like the many Midnight editions sitting on lots today I see at least two per dealer here.

I also noted that of all the dealers I have visited I am the only one asking for this truck. I suspect more will come in time but it is not a truck for everyone. GM said they expected sales to be 5% of all sales.

That may make them negotiable in the future if they sit on the lot too long.

Just something to consider in the future. Even the Midnights here are getting money off sticker. Not a lot but they are not MSRP.
post #50 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Where did you find this price breakdown? I am meeting with my dealer tonight and I'm going to question the diesel upgrade price that he quoted me.
These were taken from the GM Supplier Discount website but Chevrolet site shows same breakdown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2WD Colorado.jpg (86.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 4WD Colorado.jpg (86.2 KB, 67 views)
post #51 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
I would not be surprised to see these on lots next year waiting for buyers just as the Midnight editions I see at most dealers today.

Keep in mind also when buying here that these while they will be popular with some they will find limited buyers just because of the price. Most people will not pay this much like the many Midnight editions sitting on lots today I see at least two per dealer here.

I also noted that of all the dealers I have visited I am the only one asking for this truck. I suspect more will come in time but it is not a truck for everyone. GM said they expected sales to be 5% of all sales.

That may make them negotiable in the future if they sit on the lot too long.
Just something to consider in the future. Even the Midnights here are getting money off sticker. Not a lot but they are not MSRP.
I don't think its a fair assessment to compare the Midnight Edition to a ZR2. Midnight is simply a cosmetic package that people can do mostly on their own. The ZR2 is a performance package with options that can't be added via aftermarket. If you will, the Raptor can't stay on the lots and its 20-30K more than a regular F150. I would say that's a closer comparison, while the Raptor is certainly proven and supported which helps but it is a closer comparison none-the-less.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
post #52 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleee33 View Post
I don't think its a fair assessment to compare the Midnight Edition to a ZR2. Midnight is simply a cosmetic package that people can do mostly on their own. The ZR2 is a performance package with options that can't be added via aftermarket. If you will, the Raptor can't stay on the lots and its 20-30K more than a regular F150. I would say that's a closer comparison, while the Raptor is certainly proven and supported which helps but it is a closer comparison none-the-less.
I agree. I don't think the ZR2 will be on any lots. You may get lucky but doubtful. Most will be custom orders.
post #53 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:20 PM

Garage
I got the latest edition Chevy mag New Roads in the mail today, and it has a ZR2 poster pull out in it, which is a Red Hot.lol!
post #54 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:

I think you under estimate the program here.

#1 GM is building and selling these like the Z71. It is a regular production model and will be build in as many as dealers and people want. So it is not going go be hard to get if you want one. The marketing manager stated that they will make as many as the public wants and he said they estimate it will be around 5% of production. That would be based on last years numbers to be 7,000-10,000 models.

#2 The comparison is it is going to be like the Midnight edition as in price. The price is high on both trucks and will limit the number of people buying them. I have already been called crazy and told I should buy a full size even though there is no equivalent. Even now the Midnight Edition is limited in sales mostly due to price. If it were Cheaper it would be seen everywhere.

#3 These numbers and marketing sounds about right as the original ZR2 was sold the same way and has a special chassis under it. They too often could be found in one or two models at the larger dealers.

#4 My HHR SS was the same back in the day as a will build what ever demand is and many dealers would hold on or two in stock at all times. They were expensive but they sold about 5% of total production too.

#5 The Raptor also is hard to draw from as it is in a different class of truck. The TRD Pro is a better comp and it is new yet too so it is hard to measure.
Ford is tight on production numbers but it was shown estimates had 2013-14 sales were around 1000 a month. I am not sure either if Ford limits the numbers built or not or if the demand settles it. As for dealers the larger dealers can have one or two around or can get one in a trade with another dealer.

As for the after market it is the chicken and the egg. I work in the performance aftermarket and if the ZR numbers are good you will see a ton of parts for them to support them in the next 1-2 years. MFG will watch the sales first as the cost to get in will be high on some products. Suspension companies will be all in as much of their stuff will also be adapted from Z71 items with the needed different parts. If there is money to be made they will come. But till the truck is here they will play wait and see just how many are out there.

The TRD enjoys the greatest aftermarket support as they are sold globally and really are very close to the standard truck. I sell parts for them from Shanghai to Dubai.

So right now everyone will be watching and learning even Chevy.

I have seen many models come and go and how the markets react. I have owned many of the special models and seen the support or lack of.

I do not know but I hope GM has farmed out the Z to the aftermarket companies to let them get a head start on products. As it is it takes time to bring this stuff out and the later the start the longer it takes. They did farm out the Camaro and my suppliers generally got a day with it before they came out. It did help.

The bottom line is this is a Regular production models. Dealers will not keep a ton of them but I expect you will see one or two at large dealers.

As of the 6 dealers I have talked to I was the first one to come in. Most had little clue about the truck and most were large dealers as I expected them to have the best info. I was disapointed when I had to tell them about the truck and tell them what it was in more than one case.

Right now I want an extended cab and they have tried to sell me the Crew. Also I will not pay MSRP that some are asking. One came down a bit but I do not trust the salesman.

I expect the Extended cab in 2008 and by then the major rush will be over and I may be able to speak on price a little I do not see major discounts but a small discount with my GM card money and supplier discount will give me a good price.

As for dealer stock this is a no brainer on this truck. I would wager they did so few options to make it easier to stock because of the price. Also more options make it more profitable at the price point it is at. Or so my marketing friends at GM have told me on other Chevy products.
post #55 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
I got the latest edition Chevy mag New Roads in the mail today, and it has a ZR2 poster pull out in it, which is a Red Hot.lol!
My buddy sent me one because he knew I was looking and he knew I could not get the Red Hot.

What are friends for LOL!.

Nice poster.

I almost had an itch for a Canyon the other day as I got a really good deal. I told my wife I had to wait because I did not have a poster of it.
RatRacer likes this.
post #56 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post

You guys will be right for the first 6 months or so but as time goes on supply will out pace demand.

The limiting factor will be just want dealer can afford a couple on their floor plan. This is why I say the larger dealers and dealer networks will have them. The small town guy may never order one.

Heck I have dealers here that have not sold a Corvette for years but others with 12 on the lot including the Z06 and Grand Sports

GM will balance supply and demand. They know you have to keep product available as not every one is willing to wait 8-10 weeks. That causes lost sales.

Limited options and variations coupled with dealer trades will ensure faster deliveries.
post #57 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
My buddy sent me one because he knew I was looking and he knew I could not get the Red Hot.

What are friends for LOL!.

Nice poster.

I almost had an itch for a Canyon the other day as I got a really good deal. I told my wife I had to wait because I did not have a poster of it.
He saved me from asking for your address lol!
post #58 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:58 PM
KMW

Ok, I'm set! Deepwood Green CCSB ZR2, Duramax, Block heater, Bose, Nav, Vinyl flooring.

Minimum $500 below invoice, plus any rebates out at time of delivery. And if they have dealer coupons for Colorados they'll apply those as well, which "could" be up to another $500-1000. (Not holding my breath on those, but would be pretty nice!)

Order goes in tomorrow, and now we wait!

post #59 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
The ZR2 should be compared to the Toyota TRD Pro, it is basically the same size as he ZR2, not the Raptor. The TRD Pro availability is keep artificially low production numbers to allow dealers to add a premium. Most dealers only receive 2-3 TRD Pro,s a year. The TRD Pro is the only Tacoma that has leather seats and Fox Shocks and priced at $42,960. With the ZR2 production starting and if it is as good off road as they claim it will definitively give the Tacoma a run for its money.
post #60 of 460 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchskii View Post
The ZR2 should be compared to the Toyota TRD Pro, it is basically the same size as he ZR2, not the Raptor. The TRD Pro availability is keep artificially low production numbers to allow dealers to add a premium. Most dealers only receive 2-3 TRD Pro,s a year. The TRD Pro is the only Tacoma that has leather seats and Fox Shocks and priced at $42,960. With the ZR2 production starting and if it is as good off road as they claim it will definitively give the Tacoma a run for its money.

Sure I'll agree with that but also the TRD Pro is not really different other than some mild shock changes compared to an all new suspension system. The differences are more relatable to the the differences F150 and Raptor. I would say it would be a mixed comparison.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode