Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

ZR2 Order Thread

263K views 1K replies 147 participants last post by  Springfresh 
#1 · (Edited)
OK I pulled the trigger. I ordered a ZR2. V6, Summit White. Nav/Bose, Prem Interior package. Gear On Cross bars, Factory Cat Back. Tonnau. cover, Illuminated Black Bowtie. Will post order status and pics here as progress happens. If anyone else ordered theirs, feel free to post here.

#2 ·
A dealer I spoke to has ordered one like I want but they have no pricing and we have yet to make a deal.

They are playing a psychological game but it is still going to come down to price.

The salesman here was just trying to get me emotional and the truth is GM will be building more ZR2 trucks every day.

The ball is in their court and they need to offer me a good deal.

To be honest the game kind of puts me off.

Why do sales people have to be this way.

I will get a truck from someone and price will determine who it is. I have many dealers in the area.

#6 · (Edited)
Salesmen can come off as douchebags. They aren't all that, but even those that aren't can appear so, as we have a pre-conception about them. New models (packages in this case) are harder to get below MSRP. I know this from the Corvette world. Freshest and newest sell for the most, after a few years you see DEEP discounts. You can get a brand new Z06 for 15-20% off now, when new, people were paying MSRP, or MSRP+. If you don't like the price, you can wait a while, and hope the market gets saturated, leading to prices coming down. I think there will be a pretty strong demand for the ZR2 for a while. I'm willing to pay a little more now, as I'm ready for my beach cruiser now.

#3 · (Edited)
My dealer also called me today saying he could order but didn't have a price quote for me. Even though I want to order this truck as soon as possible, I simply can't put a deposit down if I don't have in writing exactly what I will be paying. Is it really possible that they don't have pricing info from GM?

My plan is for crew cab, Bose, no nav, carpet delete, black badges, keyless entry pad, and deepwood green.

What is the premium interior package? That wasn't offered to me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I will talk to them next week when pricing is out. As of now they do not have their cost on the options or the package yet. They are basing pricing on what they anticipate and that is why they are not giving much.

If you shop around dealers can be competitive and you may not buy it this week. It may take a couple weeks as they will call you if and when they need the sale.

This is a very strategic game and if you get in a emotionally hurry you will pay for it.

The people who get in a hurry make it worse for everyone else as we have to do more work to get the better deals.

If someone wants to pay more that is fine but I seldom pay anything close to sticker and I have bough many a new car and truck. There are no incentives here but there is still enough room to work.

Now they may not come off 10% but remember they are making good money even at that point. So there is room to work and no reason to over pay.

#9 ·
Just posted this response in other ZR2 order thread...

"I am doing this right now. Around me true car is showing maybe 3% off for a Colorado, some of the 44K+ MSRP trucks are in the 5-6% off. I am currently working 5-6 dealers for the best price. All of them know I am looking for 8% plus incentives at time of delivery. I do not need to buy this truck, it is really just a toy/back-up vehicle for the family. I have two that are the larger truck sellers in my area and they have agreed to invoice pricing and maybe better. All their trucks listed are listed at invoice or better. I have also had two dealers tell me that they are ordering a ZR2 and it will be sold at "market" price. This tells me these are dealers that will be marking the truck up for the first few they receive. I told both, if that's the case I am not your buyer. With all this being said I along with the 5-6 dealers are waiting until next week for pricing & complete info release to finalize the negotiations. hyperv6 advice is spot on and everyone needs to remember, just because you and the dealer "agree" on price at day of order until that truck shows up at the dealer you or they can change the terms. Good luck everyone and cannot wait to see the photos!"

A good price can be had. My theory is that the dealer did not "sell" me this truck, I knew this was what I wanted from the prototype reveal (3 years...apparently I am more patient than I thought). The only thing they are doing for me is providing the service of ordering the truck. The only thing they are incurring is the lost allocation for 1 Colorado order. If they are so set on making a huge profit that is fine and I do not fault them for that because every business needs to make a profit but I am not their buyer. Just my 2 cents...

#18 ·
I ordered. Dealer said $500 over invoice or military discount (if available), whichever is cheaper.

#22 ·
I placed my order on Thursday for the ZR 2 and have a Order #, Dealer has all options and information it was the same as the online ordering code, no pricing but I trusts my dealer, I have done business with them in the past. His ordering form shows only ZR 2 Colorado's can be ordered this week, no other Colorado's will be accepted. The ordering information also states that tentative production will be from April 3 thru April 7. He has been selling Chevrolet for 30 plus years and he feels that they are taking orders and will do a single ZR 2 production run all at once and then allocations may be hard to get for awhile. I had 2 other dealers contact me on Thursday and state they had allocations for the ZR 2 one in Washington state and the other in California. If you want this rig you might want to gamble on ordering if not hard to say what allocations will be available in the future.

#26 · (Edited)
Here is a nice video on the ZR2

Note that the GM offical notes that if you want a ZR2 it will not be hard to get and if you will be able to get one at the 1:50 mark. This is from the marketing director.

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1611-long-rumored-2017-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-takes-an-official-bow/

So do not let dealers work you over on preliminary locations. Yes at first it will be limited but they soon will fill out supplies and by late summer they will be found on lots.

Keep this in mind if a dealer is pressing you oh this is the only one. While it may be for the first couple months it will not be in the coming future. They expect this truck to account for around 5% of sales and that based on last years numbers is around 7,000 units per year. Demand will determine the number built. Price if anything while great will limit sales as many people do not want to go that high.

Also I found a written interview on the truck with one of the lead engineers telling about how they pulled in several former Hummer engineers to work on this truck. They set the H3 numbers as the bench mark and they met them He said the truck is able to do the 60% grade just as the Hummer did.

Chevy Engineer Talks 2017 Colorado ZR2 | GM Authority

This second video is Autoline with the head engineer of the Colorado program. She covers info we know and some you may not know. It is a bit stiff but has some nuggets of info. No GMC version is panned. No manual and when asked about a Blazer version the response was interesting. Not so much for what she said but what she did not say. When she was asked things she would say no but in this case she said that would be interesting.

Anyway keep in mind this truck is marketed like a Z71 where they will build what ever the market will buy. Limitations are only for the early months while productions is ramping up. Keep in mind they still have to make other models too.

#32 · (Edited)
I would like to pass along some info I have uncovered.

First off most dealers are getting one ZR2 to sell on the initial builds. This way GM can make sure every dealer who wants one will get one to sell at the start. After the initial build they will open it up to the dealers to order what ever they like and to customer to what ever they want to order. Think June or July.

As for what you can order now only the Crew Cab is available till they do the initial build out for the dealers. The crew short bed is the most popular model and the most likely to sell so GM is only offer it at the very start and will move to the Extended cab long bed next.

I went to order tonight and my dealer was able to dig around and find this info from GM and how the first ones will be built. They will contact me when the Extended Cabs go on line and I will order then. I really want the long bed and don't need the back seat so much.

Also by then more dealers will not be gouging as some are now as I had one offer MSRP only and another that was limited to what they would come down. Some prices I have seen are not really great.

So if anyone has a Extended cab ordered you may get a call Thursday that they may not have it available yet.

My gut is telling me they will build the 2017 as a Crew and then add the Extended cab in late June and July as a 2018 model. Essentially the ZR2 is a 2018 as they are getting the wireless charging and none of the older trucks have. look for that to be standard on several packages next year.

GM has a habit of this as when the Fiero came out they were all Red and White and SE models. This was to get the cars out to the dealers and the color was to make it look like they were everywhere as the colors stood out. It was all Marketing.

Now I wait.

Oh beware as some changes could happen on order day. You never know what may not be on the first models or what limits they may have. It is always subject to change.

Who knows Red Hot the color I really wanted may be on for 2018.

#40 · (Edited)
Here's what my dealer sent me. It's preliminary but this is a crew cab with the duramax and a few extras.

View attachment 219065

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This seems really close. I think they are high for the diesel option and not sure why additional price for trans. Everything I have seen shows a 3700 price tag for diesel and no cost for trans. I was expecting a 45-47K MSRP for a Crew Cab. I am guessing "invoice" to be around 46.5K for your specs.

#41 ·
Well I did some checking as to when the Extended Cabs can be ordered. To this point no one is talking.

I e mailed Chevy and someone overseas with poor English did not answer my question let along give a coherent reply.

Dealers have no clue either. They all said they will send me a copy of the build sheet but they all tend to forget I specifically stated I wanted a Extended Cab. Does anyone listen anymore?

As for demand I have found so far in my area all the dealers have trucks coming but I appear to be the only one who has asked about it.

Waiting for a Extended cab is a bummer but in the end will save me money as I expect the gouging will be gone by then.

No way in hell will I pay MSRP for any vehicle.

I may even punt and go back to the Canyon I originally was looking at. It is about the same price and they are willing to work on the price.

If I could stomach a long bed Crew I found a loaded $40K one for $34K my price new. I just am not a fan of the long truck.

#45 ·
Update from Chevy. I suspect the Extended Cabs will be a 2018 and here is a note from Chevy on when the 2018 will go into production.

Dear Scott

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet and for your interest in the 2018 Colorado ZR2! We appreciate the time you have taken to write us as well as giving us the opportunity to assist you. We apologize for the delay in responding to your email.

The 2018 Colorado is scheduled to start production mid July 2017. Vehicles generally begin arriving at dealers about 6 to 8 weeks later. Please keep in mind that production dates are preliminary and subject to change and not all colors, options and configurations may be available at the start of production. Therefore, we encourage you to stay in touch with your preferred dealership on when they can place the order with your desired options. When we come closer to the start of production and you would like assistance getting in contact with a dealership, please respond to this email with your complete mailing address.

At Chevrolet, we strive to provide exceptional customer service. If we can be of any further assistance please email us or call 1-800-950-2438 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Time, and Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thank you for contacting Chevrolet!

Sincerely,

The Chevrolet Marketing Team
http://www.chevrolet.com

What this means is if all goes as planned if you want a 2018 you should be able to order late May.

If I recall orders cut off around May 15th and the order guide goes on line around the first week of May.

This way you can order a 2018 in late may and it will be about 8-10 weeks.

Note there could be some changes to the truck options. I do not expect anything major but who know Red Hot just may show up?

I will post anything else I can find out.

#47 ·
Talking to a dealer it sounds like what GM is doing is allowing an initial order of limited numbers to dealers for an initial build run, then no more orders. Then regular production will begin as 2018 models under normal allocation rules.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#49 ·
That is what I posted above.

Since time is short GM is going to build around one truck per dealer and they are only going to offer the crew cab. Some dealers are getting greedy and thinking this is a limited truck so use care in pricing.

I was able to confirm today from Chevy as in my post that the 2018 models will be started in early July as normal. This means the orders will go in late may for the 2018.

The truck next year will be a regular production truck and be like any other Z71 as they will build you one if you want it.

I would not be surprised to see these on lots next year waiting for buyers just as the Midnight editions I see at most dealers today.

I would watch the fleet order site as it will open for new models in early May. That is when it updates most models.

I do not really expect much changes for 2018 accept for wireless charging to be standard on most trucks. We may see some color changes and maybe some small option editions but no major changes.

Keep in mind also when buying here that these while they will be popular with some they will find limited buyers just because of the price. Most people will not pay this much like the many Midnight editions sitting on lots today I see at least two per dealer here.

I also noted that of all the dealers I have visited I am the only one asking for this truck. I suspect more will come in time but it is not a truck for everyone. GM said they expected sales to be 5% of all sales.

That may make them negotiable in the future if they sit on the lot too long.

Just something to consider in the future. Even the Midnights here are getting money off sticker. Not a lot but they are not MSRP.

#58 ·
Ok, I'm set! [emoji2] Deepwood Green CCSB ZR2, Duramax, Block heater, Bose, Nav, Vinyl flooring.

Minimum $500 below invoice, plus any rebates out at time of delivery. And if they have dealer coupons for Colorados they'll apply those as well, which "could" be up to another $500-1000. (Not holding my breath on those, but would be pretty nice!)

Order goes in tomorrow, and now we wait!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#62 ·
That appears to be the most fair offers I have seen to this point.

What kills me is I have a ton of GM money on my card I can use if they top it off like they do about 3 times a year. But you have to have the offer when the truck comes in.
There really will not be any incentives very soon other than some on the left over 2017 models that already are not in strong supply.

My other deal is I have a suppliers discount. While it helps in some cases it may be better than some deals and worse in others. I also can not use my GM money with it.

There is a lot of room on these trucks at larger dealers. I do not expect any real major deals at this time as it is new. But they all should do something better than MSRP and definitely better than more than over MSRP.

It killed me last night I found a fairly loaded up Canyon All Terrain that had been marked down to $29K. That is a heck of a deal. But it is not what I really want and it lacked the Bose. Also no more black trucks. It was a new 2016 Extended Cab.

#61 ·
The TRD Pro is what the ZR is going to get compared to and I agree the ZR is a better more able truck. But with that said the size and price is the closest and that is where it will be the most compared.

The ZR is also not really a Raptor either and the higher price and more power will prevent it from being a direct comparison.

It is like Ice Cream The Ice cream may be the same but the flavors are all just a little bit different. The comparisons will mostly be in class comparison for the most part

Chevy is already marketing the ZR as a class of one They point out how much more it is than the TRD Pro but they also do not compare it t the Raptor. The Raptor is more a Desert runner but not much else. The ZR is marketed as some running but more a trail truck like the class 4 at Moab. They also point out the rock crawling ability that is not the trait the Raptor is.

So while we are all Not right we are also Not wrong to compare as they all three are similar but still very different trucks. It is an argument no one is going to win or lose.

#71 ·
The TRD Pro is what the ZR is going to get compared to and I agree the ZR is a better more able truck. But with that said the size and price is the closest and that is where it will be the most compared.

The ZR is also not really a Raptor either and the higher price and more power will prevent it from being a direct comparison.

It is like Ice Cream The Ice cream may be the same but the flavors are all just a little bit different. The comparisons will mostly be in class comparison for the most part

Chevy is already marketing the ZR as a class of one They point out how much more it is than the TRD Pro but they also do not compare it t the Raptor. The Raptor is more a Desert runner but not much else. The ZR is marketed as some running but more a trail truck like the class 4 at Moab. They also point out the rock crawling ability that is not the trait the Raptor is.

So while we are all Not right we are also Not wrong to compare as they all three are similar but still very different trucks. It is an argument no one is going to win or lose.

I wasn't actually trying to say it will be compared with the raptor, more so the sales technique and the differences between an F150 and a raptor are similar to that of a standard colorado and a ZR2. I know they won't really be cross shopped due to varying size and specs. But my main point was a Midnight Edition and a ZR2 should not be compared to for sales.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.