• 1 Post By ferg Z71
  • 2 Post By lusid
  • 1 Post By HITTHEBEACH
  • 1 Post By skidplate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Invoice price

I'm new to this forum, and doing my research on either a Tacoma or Colorado/Canyon. My last several cars have all been BMWs, and through those forums I've learned a lot of tricks and dealers to work with to to getting pricing at or below invoice, but I can't find equivalent information on GM or Toyota. Anyone know a good ad-free resource for finding the invoice price for vehicles and options, so that I have a better negotiating position when I go to shop a deal? Any go-to dealers out there where I can get some straight-forward pricing below MSRP? I'll go to the mat if I have to, but I'd rather work with known quantities, if they're out there.

Anyone getting prices at or near the invoice price on these rigs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Z15_34396 Send a message via MSN to Z15_34396
Laura GMC 133 Canyons in stock.......

Mike

2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L/420HP
Protected by AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants

Last edited by Z15_34396; 03-31-2017 at 06:48 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:08 AM

You will find the best and easy pricing at Laura's GMC just east of St. Lewis in Illinois.

Many have made use of Laura's "Fly 'n Buy" system where they will even pick you up at the airport, deliver your vehicle all in a professional way.

They also have the largest stock of GMC Canyons that I have seen. Usually 70 to 100 units.

I get the employee discount and rebates and Laura still generally sells for much less than that and I do not know how. If they have the color, trim level, and options you want, , , , no other dealer in the country will even match them.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:10 AM

Most dealers are doing $1500- $2500 advertised.

You can' normally get a little more off.

Note too long beds and extended cabs can be had for less often as they sell slower than a short bed crew.

Same for diesel Denali truck ad few want to pay much over $40k for gas or diesel when you can buy a $53 k Sierra for $43k.

That is how I got my short crew Dinali for about the same as a SLT as it was nearing 90 days in the lot. This would have cost them money on the floor plan.

You can save at a few dealers like Laura but you also have to factor in how much you save vs travel cost hotel and the time driving cross country for some.

The bargains are ther just take your time and remember you have the 2018 models coming so the 17 models will see more discounts.

I did well on mine and even found a SLT short crew loaded for $6k off.

If you take your time you should see at least 6% off.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:22 AM

True. . .. but build out will be occur some time in June. And order for any more new 2016 will be cut off before that along with months before 2018's show up.

Most people need to know that once June arrives, there are not many new orders coming in after July or so. That means summer gets by with mostly whatever orders a dealer has made previously. So choice and selection starts to dwindle especially on Colorado/Canyon where inventory tends to be on the low side at most dealers. . . except something like Laura.

There also may be the "famous" 20% off or Red Tag sales like Chevrolet and GMC has offered during the past year on units that have been on a dealer lot for over 90 days.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:41 AM

Garage
If you are a member of Costco, they have buyers program with GM. I saved close to 5K on the wife's LT, plus got a $700 gift card. You can do a build on Costco's own site, like GM's site, which comes out about ~2% over invoice, which is what I used as a jumping off point to get my Z71, but I did better than what I could get using the Costco program.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:10 AM

Garage
If you are a veteran, GM will give you a discount
belowradar likes this.

2017 Colorado Z71 (2WD), Cajun Red, V6, Tow, GM Sportbar w/lights, Vinyl "Performance" striping, 4" Westin Nerf Bars, BAK Revolver X2 roll up bed cover (modified), Bed LED lights
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:15 AM

VIN Decoder - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

If you know the VIN # you can input it here and see the MSRP/INVOICE.
Pavel Arsenov and belowradar like this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Great Feedback!

Wow, this is some great information. Thanks to all of you that posted!

If I can't find exactly the configuration I want in a dealer's inventory, and want to order one the way I want, any bargaining leverage? I'm that guy that knows exactly - exactly - what I want in my car/truck, and don't want to go to a dealer trying to split the difference over 3 almost-right rigs to negotiate a price, while suffering the compromise on what I wanted in the first place. I suppose Costco would be the route to go, but how about Laura?

FWIW, this is what I've loved about working with my BMW dealer: I email him the car and list of options I want, tell him I'll pay $750 over invoice, and he replies "OK, paperwork is on it's way." If I can find a Chevy/GMC dealer that will work that way, I'd write the check today.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lusid View Post
VIN Decoder - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

If you know the VIN # you can input it here and see the MSRP/INVOICE.
Where are those MSRP numbers derived?
I plugged both my VIN's in there, and the MSRP's are nowhere near what was listed on either of my trucks, which I verified with GM's MSRP public build site.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 12:14 PM

Now keep in mind that you can also make a deal with the dealer and then do a dealer trade.

I have done this on 4 different models that the dealer did not even have but they were able to pick up at other dealers in a trade. This way you do not have to order and often I got a great price and even added options that I did not have to pay more for.

One I got a much more expensive radio and I was already $8K off sticker. The price remained the same.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickUW89 View Post
Wow, this is some great information. Thanks to all of you that posted!

If I can't find exactly the configuration I want in a dealer's inventory, and want to order one the way I want, any bargaining leverage? I'm that guy that knows exactly - exactly - what I want in my car/truck, and don't want to go to a dealer trying to split the difference over 3 almost-right rigs to negotiate a price, while suffering the compromise on what I wanted in the first place. I suppose Costco would be the route to go, but how about Laura?

FWIW, this is what I've loved about working with my BMW dealer: I email him the car and list of options I want, tell him I'll pay $750 over invoice, and he replies "OK, paperwork is on it's way." If I can find a Chevy/GMC dealer that will work that way, I'd write the check today
We ordered our Canyon from a reputable dealer in South Jersey (we've bought there before) almost exactly in the manner you indicate -- gave salesman a list of options I wanted, made a deal for $1,600 under msrp, gave him a deposit and away went the order! (No one had any 2WD units available for a dealer trade anyway -- they were selling like hotcakes at the time.)
That being said, depending on airfare & hotel costs and use of vacation time for the trip, I think I'd give Laura at least an inquiry next time around. I honestly didn't know about them. Anyway, best of luck with your ultimate purchase -- these are darn nice trucks!
Toughsox likes this.

2016 Canyon SLE, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, Bose, Cocoa-Dune Cloth, Factory spray liner, Locking Rear Diff., DeeZee Rubber Bed Mat, WeatherTech No-Drill Mud Flaps, Iron-Cross SS Running Boards. Built April 27, 2016. Delivered May 16, 2016.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, for all that worrying about negotiating for a new truck, I ended up buying a very lightly used 2016 GMC Canyon SLT extended cab truck from a dealer in Riverside, CA (Dutton). I searched nation-wide for a used truck that was spec’d just how I want it, and I only found this one. In fact, it had a few extra options that I wouldn’t have ordered, but am glad to have!

The truck only has 5,787 miles on it, so it’s basically brand new, and had been on their lot for 209 days. The dealer’s website was listing the truck for $33,875, and I was heading to SoCal on business, so was planning to stop in there to take a look at it. Since it was a stale listing, I was going to aim to get them down to $32,500, and would have been happy with that price.

The morning of the day I went to look at it, they had dropped the price by $3,800, down to $29,950!! After test driving it (LOVED it!), I made them an offer, and ended up paying cash for it on the spot.

Pretty happy to get exactly what I wanted for over $10,000 less that I would’ve paid had I ordered it new.

Now I just gotta get it from Riverside up to Seattle.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BickUW89 View Post
Well, for all that worrying about negotiating for a new truck, I ended up buying a very lightly used 2016 GMC Canyon SLT extended cab truck from a dealer in Riverside, CA (Dutton). I searched nation-wide for a used truck that was spec’d just how I want it, and I only found this one. In fact, it had a few extra options that I wouldn’t have ordered, but am glad to have!

The truck only has 5,787 miles on it, so it’s basically brand new, and had been on their lot for 209 days. The dealer’s website was listing the truck for $33,875, and I was heading to SoCal on business, so was planning to stop in there to take a look at it. Since it was a stale listing, I was going to aim to get them down to $32,500, and would have been happy with that price.

The morning of the day I went to look at it, they had dropped the price by $3,800, down to $29,950!! After test driving it (LOVED it!), I made them an offer, and ended up paying cash for it on the spot.

Pretty happy to get exactly what I wanted for over $10,000 less that I would’ve paid had I ordered it new.

Now I just gotta get it from Riverside up to Seattle.
Congrats sir!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:53 PM

Garage
Not sure about invoice but the MSRP for mine was somewhere around $36k I believe, and I got it for $33k out the door after I added the interior+exterior protection plans, and a bedliner. This was for a '16 Canyon v6 ext cab All-Terrain 4x4 SLE w/nav. I also got the GM employee discount coupled with the GM loyalty discount and a few rebates. All in all not a bad deal. In hindsight I think I could've done better but hey, that's life. I've noticed it's easier to knock the price down for the full size trucks than it is for the twins.

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 4x4 3.6L v6 ECLB
BNR Tune via Diablosport i2
Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper
Speedliner spray-on bedliner
Weathertech floor mats
AVS hood deflector and window visors
A.R.E MX bed cap w/ Yakima roof rack
Undercover Swingcases
Carhartt seat covers
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:11 PM

Did the fly and buy thing, flew out of Denver on Frontier for $45, had about $350 in hotel, food and fuel expenses, paid 36.5K out the door for my '17 Canyon SLT long box diesel 4WD with Bose/Nav at Laura GMC with a 30 day IL temp tag in the window. Paid 2.7K for tax, title and license once back in Colorado. It was a fun road trip and the truck got a good break in during the 840 mile cannonball run back home. Phil with Laura picked me and 3 other "fly and buyers" up and drove us to the dealer, which is 30 minutes away from the St. Louis airport. I find that people are either really intrigued or, quite often, they are irritated when I tell my fly and buy story, so I kind of stopped telling it in the "real world".

Saved almost 9K vs. what the local dealers here in Denver would do, with a net savings, after expenses, of about 8.3K. The big advantage Laura has is their huge inventory. I wanted a 4WD SLT long box diesel in Bronze Alloy with cocoa/dune interior, and no local dealers had one. With around 130 Canyons on it's lot, (generally over 50 of them diesels) Laura literally has as much inventory as my local area dealers combined.

Ordering a truck, even with Laura, is more expensive than buying off the lot. I had a price watch on at the Laura site for several months, waited and a deal popped up on the exact config and color truck I wanted - just what I would have ordered for myself. The downside of all this is you have to put a 2K non refundable deposit on your truck and be flexible, nimble and ready to go, and of course be willing to drive what may a a pretty long distance in your new truck to get home. I had no trade in and bought(vs. leasing) the truck, so I was the perfect Laura customer. I also really enjoyed driving cross country in, and getting to know my new truck.

GM seems to be able to sell the twins pretty readily vs, their capacity to build them, the twins do not have big discounts like full size trucks. I have never even seen a TV ad for them.

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.

Last edited by Duken4evr; 04-17-2017 at 09:00 PM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
If you are a member of Costco, they have buyers program with GM. I saved close to 5K on the wife's LT, plus got a $700 gift card. You can do a build on Costco's own site, like GM's site, which comes out about ~2% over invoice, which is what I used as a jumping off point to get my Z71, but I did better than what I could get using the Costco program.
I also used the Costco program to buy a '16 Canyon SLT Crew Short Bed last October. I brought in a competitors ad from another state (but they didn't notice that) and they matched and I ended up under employee pricing including 2 GM cashback deals going at the time. Also received a $700 Costco card. The dealer traded another dealer for the truck and when it arrived it had a drop-in bedliner, full heavy duty floor mats, and locking lug nuts at no additional cost.

The Costco deal at the time was supplier pricing or better and a Costco cash card.
RatRacer likes this.

'16 GMC Canyon, Quicksilver Metallic, SLT, Short Bed, Crew Cab.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:24 PM

One key to is the GM card. We have saved thousands over the years on our last 5 cars. We also helped family on two other cars with $1000 or more off.

This truck was my worst deal and I still got $4k off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode