CA Vanity Plates - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By FlynJRacer
  • 2 Post By Ibmikey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

CA Vanity Plates

Hi all,

Just purchased my first truck: 17 Canyon, SLT, 4x4 Diesel. Looking to get some CA special plates on it and was surprised to see the original plates sent from the DMV is a commercial plate.

Wondering if anyone living in California can confirm that pickups must be classified as a commercial vehicle? When ordering plates via DMV system, do I need to select "commercial" instead of "auto"?

I guess if it is commercial, am I allowed to park in those yellow commercial loading zones on the street? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:40 AM

Yep. Pretty sure all trucks are considered commercial in the SSRofKulifornia
lqdchkn and rcwarner like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:19 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CPTTango30 Send a message via MSN to CPTTango30
I think you can, but if you are seen towing or hauling anything its a ticket and a hefty fine. At least that's what my mom and dad tell me. How can you even afford to drive a truck? My mom just paid something like $800 to get tags on her F150... I pay $55 a year and have a special plate that is customized... I think Virginia has the most special plates out there.

The downside is this. I pay $700 a year in personal property tax on my truck. So it all comes out in the wash I guess. I feel for you though with that new Gas Tax Governor Moonbeam forced down on everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2017-04-10 09.17.06.png (100.7 KB, 36 views)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:09 AM

CA is not like other states where you can register a truck as a car to save money as long as you don't haul in it.

In CA trucks are trucks that's it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:21 PM

You can reregister as car if you add a cap. It's a pain as it needs new title, but worth it. I did my GMC Sierra crew cab in 2013

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2016 Colorado CC SB Z71 4wd Laser Blue
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks guys. I had no plans to re-register. Just needed to know if I needed to apply as "commercial" for vanity plates. Thanks again!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 01:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro7 View Post
Hi all,

Just purchased my first truck: 17 Canyon, SLT, 4x4 Diesel. Looking to get some CA special plates on it and was surprised to see the original plates sent from the DMV is a commercial plate.

Wondering if anyone living in California can confirm that pickups must be classified as a commercial vehicle? When ordering plates via DMV system, do I need to select "commercial" instead of "auto"?

I guess if it is commercial, am I allowed to park in those yellow commercial loading zones on the street? :)

I say pick auto and maybe you will get lucky and pay less? lol And yes, you can park wherever you want, you just have to put your tail gate down....thats what I do at Walmart, works like a charm....ahahahaha

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshie View Post
You can reregister as car if you add a cap. It's a pain as it needs new title, but worth it. I did my GMC Sierra crew cab in 2013

That's only true if you meet the DMV's definition of a "permanent" installation. Whatever that is but I'd doubt standard shell clamps would count as permanent.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:08 AM

First having spent an entire career in policing in California, up until I retired a cap on a pick up could allow the "house car" designation and non commercial plates could be assigned.
Second, who in their right mind after paying the exorbitant fees for registration in Calif would voluntarily give more money for a special plate?
ernster500 and JScottM like this.

2017 Canyon Denali, crew, short bed, V6, 8spd, hard fold tonneau by Extang
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 05:49 PM

Did it. Standard ARE fiberglass cap. Normal C clamp installation. DMV didn't even look at it. Only hard part was getting title released, but that only took couple phone calls.

2016 Colorado CC SB Z71 4wd Laser Blue
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 AM

Walshie, A visit to a Calif DMV should be part of every University course in Stress/Anger Management.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:21 AM

Garage
You can literally put whatever you want on the order form (except motorcycle) if there is even a check box for that. The plates are exactly the same for each. When you go to pick them up and assign them to the actual vehicle, they will classify it with the appropriate classification and fees. You are allowed to move the plate from a car to a truck and back to a car if you want. So, it really doesn't matter if you select commercial or auto on the order form because the initial order cost is the same.

2016 COLORADO LT 4X4 CCSB (Build Thread)
DURAMAXDIESEL MIDNIGHT EDITION
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 05:45 AM

The cost of the vanity plate remains the same for all classifications but the fees charged for auto vs commercial are very different. Added together in Calif the total registration is somewhere close to obscene.
Ernster500, What is the fee for a vanity plate in Calif? Just the plate not entire registration.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:52 AM
24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Ernster500, What is the fee for a vanity plate in Calif? Just the plate not entire registration.
Mine are $40 or $50 a year I believe.

Clearly I'm not in my right mind. ;)

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:54 AM

Garage
Didn't it used to be that only trucks rated as 1 ton or higher were considered "commercial"? When did this change?

Also, where is this commercial designation? Is it on the registration? On the plates?

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:56 AM

24v. Ok fifty Bucks, but confession time: while still in California and shortly after the plates became popular I had one (I B Mikey) on my 55 Chev Pick up. Years later when fees became incredibly high on my ther cars in protest I went back to standard plates. Our 55Chev 2dr Hard Top had "Year Of Manufacture" ( original and restored) plates but as I recall they did not cost extra after the initial fee.

Bumble Z, Commercial plates in Calif are distinctive with a single letter and then numbers ( may have changed I have not been there in twelve years) and the Registration indicates Commercial Vehicle. Many years ago (sixties) DMV required Commercial plates on all pickups, prior to that the small Ranchero and others were under the weight requirement for Comm status. Large companies like utilities bought them and put pass car reg on the vehicles. DMV put the screws to that quickly. As a then young patrol officer I explained to many drivers the change in requirements for their registration. The bean counters won again.

Last edited by Ibmikey; 05-26-2017 at 10:08 AM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 12:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Depending on the plate, because there are different styles, it's between $48-98 for specialty/vanity plates with a similar annual fee.

Here is the California DMV Special Interest License Plate website page... It shows all the different plates and related fees.

2016 COLORADO LT 4X4 CCSB (Build Thread)
DURAMAXDIESEL MIDNIGHT EDITION

Last edited by ernster500; 05-26-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode