Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Fuel Economy

11K views 46 replies 33 participants last post by  Mickh557 
#1 ·
I am looking for some real world results on fuel economy. I have 80 drive to work one way mostly interstate and I am wondering what I will get with Ext 4 wd V6. I would set cruise around 75 for 55 of the 80 miles.

Thanks

#2 ·
Larry - I'm averaging 23.8 mpg after 3700 miles under the conditions you mentioned with 10% ethanol. I ran regular unleaded for the first 2000 miles and didn't see any different in mileage between those two grades. I'm running around 36 psi on my tires, and have a cap (topper) on my box. I don't drive it like I stole it, but I don't light foot it either.

#4 · (Edited)
With 3k I'm getting 19/25 with combo about 22, and every so often 27 on long haul flat roads in cruise usually at 60mph.

#5 ·
Just did a road trip from Texas to WV, 3446 miles, and averaged about 20-21mpg. I kept the cruise set at 75-77mph. AC was on the complete trip.

Crew cab long bed 265/70/17 with 2.5" front lift and factory air dam.

Reactions: Abe17ZR2
#8 ·
Live in the sticks, 90% of my driving is back country roads the rest between city and interstate. Have 2015 Canyon WITH 4500 miles so far, 4x4, v6, extended cab with long bed. My last 450 miles average was 24.3 or so says the DIC. Also total mpg for all miles is 23.2. Am very happy so far and most times I drive 5 to 10 mph above the posted speed limit, mileage does seem to drop much above 70

#9 ·
I've been averaging about 20.5 mpg hand calculated at fill-ups. Mostly city miles. Looking forward to taking it on my vacation to see what kind of highway mileage I get.

#12 ·
Drove to the Cincinnati Airport on wednesday for a meeting. It is 60 miles from my house to the parking lot at the place where the meeting was help. Used interstate 71/75 for 38 of the 60 miles (and set the cruise control at 68mph). As photo shows average 28.4 mpg. Driving a Colorado Ent-Cab Manual 4cyc. I'm pleased ;-)

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Suggestion to some of you who commute at 75 MPH. Try driving for one day at 65 MPH and see what improvement you get.

If you can do it with out getting ran over, try the same at 55 MPH.

If I tried to drive 55 MPH my mileage would go down considerably because I would have to get in the right lane and fight all of the merging traffic to avoid being ran over by irate drivers. Speed limit for about 8 miles of my commute is 65, I drove 75 MPH this morning and had people tailgating me for holding up traffic. (Was in the Wrangler this AM since my wife can't drive for a few more weeks, didn't want to let it sit too long in the garage.)

At just under 10K miles, my lifetime average is around 21 MPG, includes the 450 mile towing adventure that hurt it a bit. I also have been using the remote start a lot more in the 100 deg weather here. The few cents worth of gas I use it worth a little bit more comfort when I climb in the truck.

#17 ·
ext cab v-6 4x4 3k miles stock as delivered. Pretty consistant 24 mpg on several 300 mile round trips that include 75 mph 2/3 of the time, and 60ish the rest. Hilly mountainous up & down terrain for much of it. This is with A/C on.

Perspective; 2013 Tacoma ext cab 4 cyl auto 2wd was typically 23 on these trips.

Pretty much all my midsize 4x4 v-6 4x4 suv / trucks from the last 3 decades did about 21.
includes; s-10 4.3. colorado I-5 3.5 ranger 4.0
one exception; 09 Colorado ext cab I-5 auto 2wd......this one got 25mpg.

I'M VERY HAPPY with the new Colorado.

#20 ·
I have less than 800 miles on the odometer and have been doing mostly city driving. I have been averaging around 15 MPG. I got a couple of trips coming up including a camping trip to Old Orchard Beach which is about 148 miles away from where I live. I will be hauling my pop up camper so It's going to be interesting to see what kind of mileage I get hauling my camper. When I get on the highway I tend to set the cruise to around 65 miles per hour and just go. I'm hoping the MPG will go up in the future for the city driving.

#21 ·
I just came back last week from Minn and was doing 75 mph most of the way back to Hartford WI.. I have the Z71 2015 with 6 cyc. I was getting 23 to 24 MPG.
Once dropped down to 60 MPH 24.5. I have a little over 5000 miles on the truck with my first oil change at 4500. No bed liner, thinking that may help.
I drive back roads mostly around 60 Mph to work 25 miles one way, and always get 21.5 to 22 mpg. I check it each time I fill the tank.

#22 ·
Some of you guys have all the luck. I've been on a few good road trips of 350 miles and l have not gotten over 23 mpg yet. Now have about 10300 miles on it. And I'm not a leadfoot. If the speed limit is 70 l will be running 75 with the cruise set. So it seems like l should be getting a little better mileage.

#23 · (Edited)
I've gotten way better gas mileage after my first oil change

This was last week with a 200LB payload in the bed and a passenger with me in 100+ degree weather in Houston, with all the humidity down here and the AC blasting
Going through some heavy houston traffic along the way
Also a full tank of gas as you can see in the pic

I noticed the average mpg when I parked so I took my phone out to take a pic, it was at 29.2 but idling went down to 29

I've broken 31mpg as you can see in the pic

The 6-speed manual has underrated MPG numbers IMO

This is also WITH the air dam deleted, a level kit, and trifecta tune

Attachments

#24 ·
I've gotten way better gas mileage after my first oil change

This was last week with a 200LB payload in the bed and a passenger with me in 100+ degree weather in Houston, with all the humidity down here and the AC blasting
Going through some heavy houston traffic along the way

I noticed the average mpg when I parked so I took my phone out to take a pic, it was at 29.2 but idling went down to 29

I've broken 31mpg as you can see in the pic

The 6-speed manual has underrated MPG numbers IMO, because I didn't even try

This is also WITH the air dam deleted, a level kit, and trifecta tune
The best does not really count lol, I got down to 7l/100km on an automatic, so 33.5mpg.

#25 ·
I have gotten 28.5 MPG (on the DIC display) with the cruise set at 69Mph, but a more realistic average is around 26Mpg. I never drive much over 70Mph.

#26 ·
By the way I forgot to mention

The base canyon model with the 6-speed like I have doesn't have cruise control

and I still got those numbers

#27 ·
Bye the way I forgot to mention

The base canyon model with the 6-speed like I have doesn't have cruise control

and I still got those numbers
I find I can get better numbers without cruise, or if I manipulate cruise. I find if I want to cruise at 70, I push it to 75 and then let it up shift, then get it coast down to 70, it drops from about 500rpms.

#30 ·
I have about 4000 miles on mine overall average 21.5,in town mixed street/hiway between 21-24 with the air on 105++ plus degree weather here in Vegas. I average 24 mpg doing 70-80 mph on trips to Arizona to visit parents. My best is 29 mpg on the Dic. It is a manual I4.

#31 ·
2nd tank of gas, sea level, literally, 100 degrees everyday, V-6, 22MPG, at 45-60 MPH. On the short time I was on a 65 MPH trip to the beach, 20 miles or so each way, it was saying 24. Take that with a grain of salt like I do. Coming from a full size at 14 MPG no matter what, it's amazing. And dang it's easy to drive! The way I use a truck though, I should have tried the 4, but everyone told me the 6 was the way to go.

#32 ·
I am lucky, I noted in an earlier thread I am getting 23 to 26 with mine, jsut at 6k miles. One tank was much lower during a hot humid Iowa streak than temps got better and mpg came back up. The other tanks when it was lower I was pulling my boat a lot although I dont live far from the Mississippi. I havent had it over 70 mph yet, mostly driving 65 on some highway then of course stop n go through town to work. I am easing into gas and slowing down more than I did with my old full size that got 15 mpg. Mostly because this is my first new 4x4 and I am treating it well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.