Colorado/Canyon on the 20 LEAST dependable car list - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Amazed at how many different brands with so many complaints on shifting issues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado777 View Post
Many CR readers are older and are just looking for a reliable appliance. The are totally befuddled by all navigation systems and most electronics. They do not understand that most modern auto tans are tuned to up shift for MPG, but can"learn" a more aggressive shift posture.

The '16 Tacoma has a similar transmission and similar modern electronics/climate equipment. Let's see if CR can overcome their Toyota bias and fairly report all the "problems" of the '16 Tacoma
One of the Taco reviews I read, where they compared the Taco & Colorado, complained about the Taco and didn't mention any issues with the shifting on the Colorado.

It is different than cars of old, old being as recent as my wife's 2011 Camaro.

Think of your truck like man's best friend, a canine. So many people think they train their dog to behave, etc. A true dog owner knows their dog trains them to understand their needs. We put a bell on the door so dog could let us know when she needs to go out. Dog rings bell, when I get up and go to door, she walks over to her water bowl to show me it is empty. Who trained who?

Same goes for these transmissions. I think some of us just get trained quicker on how they perform and settle into a comfortable co-existence.

And they say you can't teach an old dog (or truck driver) a new trick.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 05:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to 100MPG Send a message via MSN to 100MPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
We put a bell on the door so dog could let us know when she needs to go out. Dog rings bell, when I get up and go to door, she walks over to her water bowl to show me it is empty. Who trained who?
If you put the bell up, you trained the dog. If the dog put the bell up, then the dog trained you.
tbalt14 likes this.
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 09:47 AM

8 months, 7k miles. 0 complaints. I love this truck. Better in every way as compared to my 013 Tacoma. CR is no more accurate in their vehicle assessments than they are with washing machines. What a crock of sh!t they cook up.
jbc77, Navy Chief and boat like this.

post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 02:27 PM

These reliability scores are based on user feedback:

Quote:
Consumer Reports' 2015 reliability survey predicts the reliability of 2016 cars and trucks based on a survey of their subscribers and how they've fared with their new vehicles. This year's survey took into account the owners of 740,000 vehicles, asking about any troubles with transmissions, steering, backup cameras, technology in the car and more.

Although all of the problems below were fixed under warranty, Consumer Reports says the terms and issues highlighted were the most commonly used by car owners in the survey, and that some of the repairs required several visits to the dealer with lengthy delays.

So, how many of you filled our the CR owner survey?

The issue here might be less about CR own biases and more about their subscriber base.

I'd be curious to know how many surveys out of the 740,000 were Canyons. I suspect their sample size on the canyon is very small. Out of those 740,000 how many are driving camerys?

The other issue is how they define "dependable".

I purchased a new 2013 mazda 3 for my wife in 2013. No issues with that car to date. It's got over 25k miles on it and it's doing great.

I purchased my Canyon in June. It's been back for the steering wheel, a rattle in the headliner they can't fix, and the dealership broke the glove box when replacing the cabin filter. All minor stuff to be sure. None of it I consider deal breakers, and certainly its a far cry from breaking down and leaving me stranded somewhere but it does show that GM still has room for improvement.

Last edited by jimbo88mm; 12-01-2015 at 02:32 PM.
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 04:51 PM

"CR" Lists my wife's Acura MDX as one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet. Don't make me show you all the repair bills.... Thankfully most of it was under warranty.....Oh ! Except for the THOUSAND DOLLAR PLUS, ! REAR SHOCKS !

Definitely trust THAT stooped rag.....

OFFICIAL Z71 PILOT
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 04:58 PM

Garage
C.R. has it out for the twins! I take it with a grain of salt.

‘16 Colorado LT CC LB Duramax - Brownstone, Bose, Luxury Pkg, Safety Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Trailering Pkg/Locking rear diff, Wheel flares, BORA 1.5" wheel spacers, Iron Cross Patriot Running Boards, Line-X. Planned mods: Zone 1.25" level. SOLD: '15 Colorado LT V6. Threw kitty litter on that turd....... and dumped it!
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 06:01 PM

It's funny to read about CR reviews on different forums. When they say something good about the car you drive, they're a dependable source. When they don't, their reviews are trash. Go take a look at tacoma world and the same thing is going on. CR bashes the twins and tacoma guys use it as vindication for their purchase (seeing as how most media outlets and reviews say the twins are better). CR then says something negative about the tacoma and all of a sudden CR no longer knows what it's talking about. (btw I think both trucks are great and would own either one, but I get employee pricing on GM and personally thought the interior of the Canyon was far better than the colorado or tacoma)

I will check CR from time to time when researching items, but never put much stock into what they have to say. I also don't put a lot of stock in predicted reliability ratings when there is not a lot of data out for a new platform. It's the risk you take when buying something brand new, and you should always expect a few issues.
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 06:36 PM

Garage
That is for Gen 1. They don't have enough info yet to compile on the '15-'16 models. JD Power new car survey is what you should look for.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebob View Post
That is for Gen 1. They don't have enough info yet to compile on the '15-'16 models. JD Power new car survey is what you should look for.
No, it is for the new twins. Came in at # 8 least reliable according to them.

Reported issues: "Infotainment screen went blank. Bad OnStar module. Rough or delayed transmission shifts. Climate system problems. Squeaks and rattles."

Consumer Reports' least reliable new cars include the Fiat 500L, Jeep Cherokee and Nissan Pathfinder | Newsday

2015 GMC Canyon SLT, V6 Crew Cab Short Bed - Quicksilver Metallic, Driver Alert package, Navigation, Bose Audio, Trailering Package.
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 06:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos31820 View Post
No, it is for the new twins. Came in at # 8 least reliable according to them.

Reported issues: "Infotainment screen went blank. Bad OnStar module. Rough or delayed transmission shifts. Climate system problems. Squeaks and rattles."

Consumer Reports' least reliable new cars include the Fiat 500L, Jeep Cherokee and Nissan Pathfinder | Newsday
Sure sounds like Gen 2 complaints.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #31 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 02:24 PM

I'm a subscriber, and I filled out the survey about my 15 Canyon. The only troubles I've had are the brake caliper recall and the bad Onstar module, and I put them on there. I think I may have complained a little about how challenging the info screen could be sometimes, too. Thing to remember is the reliability ratings are percentages and all modern cars are very VERY reliable (with very few exceptions) The difference between a top ten car and a bottom ten car might be a matter of 10 drivers out of 100 having trouble vs 2 out of 100. I was disappointed to see the twins on this list, but it's mainly due to a couple of things like the batch of bad Onstar modules and similar 1st year stuff I'll bet, and it'll get better.

If you look at the chart they had of trouble spots reported in many new cars it was interesting, too: Transmission not working the way it should (or the way the driver thinks it should) Fiddly info screen/controls. Water intrusion. And so on. It's all the same sort of stuff that the twins got dinged for, so GM/we're hardly alone. We just had a bit higher percentage of issues--due to the wonky transmission tune GM put in these things and the OnStar recall, mainly, I'd bet.

Just my 2 cents and a CR subscriber and happy Canyon owner.
JBT, Jazzard and WoodsJPK like this.

Last edited by Stevef; 12-02-2015 at 03:49 PM.
post #32 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 05:54 PM

CR's reliability ratings are based on subscriber surveys, and the "20 Least Reliable" list is just a statistical analysis of those surveys, otherwise known as "math," so it's pretty hard to claim they are biased and inaccurate. That said, the first year of a brand new model is always fraught with more problems than a redesign year, or subsequent years of a first model.

Regarding CR's car reviews, their opinions tend to be too biased toward safety, economy, and reliability, and not enough toward performance for my tastes (kinda the opposite of the big car mags) so I always keep that in mind.

I'm very happy with my leaky, odd-shifting Canyon, for the record.
CaryBosse likes this.
post #33 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 06:47 PM

I do not trust these types of review. They can be bought for the right amount of cash.
post #34 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateado View Post
I do not trust these types of review. They can be bought for the right amount of cash.
Consumer Reports is the publication of Consumers Union, a non-profit consumer advocacy organization. They do not accept any advertising or corporate funding of any form. They are wholly supported by subscriptions and donations. They're about the most honest source of consumer product reviews you can get.

Any accusation that their reviews might be biased by financial gain, secret or otherwise, is frankly, absurd.
post #35 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 11:24 AM

Exactly.... Consumers Union.... aka Extortionist.

They will not talk bad about your product for the right donation amount. Did you checked their Tax Form 990? Part of the Consumer Media LLC and if you see their Tax Form 990 you will see their money trail.

Personally, I give no money to so called Non Profits.

Anybody in this planet is For Sale. Is just a matter of How Much.
post #36 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 09:40 PM

I, for one, am not that concerned with the issues mentioned by CR. I have a three year warranty and if I am concerned about the vehicle after that I will get an extended service agreement at the end of that time. As long as the vehicle performs satisfactorily and does what I need it to I won't sweat what I consider small stuff. Now, if it strands me a couple times I may rethink my position.

2015 Colorado Yellow V-6 Z71 4X4 SB Crew/Nav/Towing/Sliding R Window/bedliner/3" off-road steps/flares/Xpel/Xstang Trifecta

Truck history:
2002 GMC Sonoma Crewcab 4x4 Yellow ZR5 (new)
1985 GMC High Sierra SB 4x4 Brown/Wht (used)
1983 S-10 Regular Cab, 4X4, V-6, 5spd-man, Black (new)

Current fleet:
2010 RAV4 V-6 Sport AWD
2014 Buick Verano Premium (Turbo)
post #37 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 05:01 PM

"Colorado/Canyon on the 20 LEAST dependable car list"

I can believe that.

2015 Colorado WT, Extended Cab, 4X2, V6, SOLD after 6 months.

post #38 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 06:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Illinois View Post
"Colorado/Canyon on the 20 LEAST dependable car list"

I can believe that.
I notice this user is now listed as banned under his name. Is this the post that did it? Couldn't have come soon enough, he was getting as bad as "thesuckguru".... well maybe not that bad but pretty bad!
Southern likes this.

2016 Canyon, Duramax, All-Terrain, Cyber Grey, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 4x4, Sprayed on Bedliner, RC off road steps, Autospring 2.5 lift.
post #39 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battousai2000 View Post
I notice this user is now listed as banned under his name. Is this the post that did it? Couldn't have come soon enough, he was getting as bad as "thesuckguru".... well maybe not that bad but pretty bad!
This not the root cause.
Nor is this a place to discuss banned members.
post #40 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to 100MPG Send a message via MSN to 100MPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by battousai2000 View Post
I notice this user is now listed as banned under his name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode