Colorado/Canyon on the 20 LEAST dependable car list - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:38 PM

Garage
I like the Corvette, "premature brake wear", that's classic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 10:02 PM

I LOVE MY TRUCK. I think they are full of it. Mostly this has been best new vehicle I have had. Had a couple issues mostly related to hitting chunk if Ice/Snow with airdam, but that was fixed when I removed it. Sure there are a few recalls but so what they fixed them at oil changes hasn't cost me a dime except 2 sets new wiper blades.

Last edited by jimmac91; 12-09-2015 at 11:23 AM.
post #43 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac91 View Post
I LOVE MY TRUCK. I think they are full of it. Mostly this has been best new vehicle I have had. I have had a couple issues mostly related to hitting chunk if Ice/Snow with air ****. but that is removed. Sure there are a few recalls but so what they fixed them at oil changes hasn't cost me a dime except 2 sets new wiper blades.
I don't know if this was on purpose or not.

Please edit your post dude.

post #44 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 01:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
This not the root cause.
Nor is this a place to discuss banned members.
Sorry

2016 Canyon, Duramax, All-Terrain, Cyber Grey, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 4x4, Sprayed on Bedliner, RC off road steps, Autospring 2.5 lift.
post #45 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 10:44 AM

Garage
Their definition of "Reliability" is flawed.
I use the term to determine how often I would have to get a rental, bum a ride to work, or stuck waiting on a tow truck to show. Buggy infotainment systems, or air leaks surely wouldn't hinder me from getting from point A to point B. Sure it would be inconvenient to have to go get the issues fixed, but wouldn't impinge on it's primary task.
With only having a couple of legitimate instances reported, IMO the list reads like a build & electronic systems quality survey.
post #46 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 11:02 AM

The biggest flaw in CR is that they rely on survey data......and just like this forum......how many people are going to fill out a bugging survey if there is no problems.......not as many as those with problems........And even them...problems are a subjective thing....
post #47 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 01:30 PM

Now days no manufacturer build things in house (subsidiaries/vendors); now days are assemblers/integrators. The Infotaiment, if has a problem, is GMs fault or the vendor that makes them? Is assumed GM because is on the vehicle. Kind of the same deal with Ford and Firestone on the Explorer; they went on circles on that one.

Last edited by Plateado; 12-09-2015 at 01:32 PM.
post #48 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:34 PM

Garage
I read those reviews and saw the videos. OK, I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a $40K Tacoma when I pulled into the Chevy dealer and left with my new Colorado. I did it knowing full well that, although I liked the Colo's looks better, the interior better and the way it drives better, I wasn't going to get 200K miles out of it like I did the Tundra I traded in. So be it. We make trade-offs. I think this makes my 12th Chevy, thereabouts. I have a Corvette too which means double trouble according to CR.
post #49 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos31820 View Post
No, it is for the new twins. Came in at # 8 least reliable according to them.

Reported issues: "Infotainment screen went blank. Bad OnStar module. Rough or delayed transmission shifts. Climate system problems. Squeaks and rattles."

Consumer Reports' least reliable new cars include the Fiat 500L, Jeep Cherokee and Nissan Pathfinder | Newsday
In my Canyon I only wanted the basic infotainment screen (still has bluetooth), I have never used OnStar and never will, I don't drive like a idiot or expect to be driving a racecar - no transmission issues, and I cant think of any squeaks or rattles that have been bugging me.

Maybe mine should be on the most reliable vehicle list if that is all they are bitching about.
post #50 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 07:10 AM

My Canyon is approaching 10,000 in the first year of service and my list of complaints to the dealer are as follows:
1. Hey guys the factory listed but did not install engine block heater.....results: Dealer installed with big smile and red face.
Well there you have all of my complaints, Love this truck and can attest to it traveling through 18" of snow without a tire spin, would like to see "4 wheel drive engaged" light in dash cluster because the knob is hidden by steering wheel and would like Homelink garage door opener.
Old 96 likes this.

2015 Canyon, SLT, CC, 4x4, Copper Red Metallic, Nav, Bose, Trailer pkg, Safety pkg, Eng heater, steps, Extang tri fold hard cover, flaps.
post #51 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 08:03 AM

Have the same problem with #3.

Custom Built : 2016 Chevrolet Colorado Z71, 3.6LV6 CC LB 4WD Black - Bose®, Trailering Pkg, 3" Off-Road Step Bars, Splash Guards, Spray-In Bedliner
Current Mods : G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover - AVS Hood Protector - EGR Black Matte Inchannel Window Deflectors - Front/Rear Dash Cam - Go Rhino Black Exhaust Tip/HitchStep - Red LED Map Lights - Air Dam Delete - Grille Guard - OPT7 Lows - Bull Rings - LED Upgrades - Bed Light - OPT7 Tailgate Light Bar
Future Mods : Carbon Fiber Bowties - other stuff
post #52 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 08:04 AM

I should have written to CR when my 1946 Manley popcorn machine light switch failed.

zoz

2017 GMC Canyon Denali
post #53 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 12:03 PM

I love my truck but when asked I dont recommend it. I have a long list of issues, most have been resolved by a dealer but my time is worth something and I have spent way too much time sitting in show rooms waiting for my truck to be ready. It is a frustrating thing for sure and as a result I cant recommend this truck to friends. Still love it? Yes I do. Regret buying it? No Nervous about when the warranty runs out? Big time
post #54 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 12:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly99 View Post
I love my truck but when asked I dont recommend it. I have a long list of issues, most have been resolved by a dealer but my time is worth something and I have spent way too much time sitting in show rooms waiting for my truck to be ready. It is a frustrating thing for sure and as a result I cant recommend this truck to friends. Still love it? Yes I do. Regret buying it? No Nervous about when the warranty runs out? Big time
I feel the same as you. My truck was in the shop for 3 weeks getting almost everything in the rear axle replaced. And it has developed a pretty nice clunk (I assume in the rear) when I go over bumps. Not to mention the rattles that seem to be everywhere in the cabin. Even after all of those I still absolutely love my truck, but the warranty expiring is a worry of mine. Especially considering that it's being raised 5.5 inches in May.
post #55 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 12:29 PM

Never trust "the toaster tester people". They have been in bed with the Japanese auto makers for decades. They hate Gm, Ford and Chrysler and even Mercedes Benz who hates them back. I agree, look at J.D. Power instead.
Jerkyking likes this.
post #56 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 12:39 PM
CFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
How can they even figure that out when the truck is only a year old? So, it went from Car and Drivers " Truck of the Year" to least dependable in 6 months. Come On! Consumer Reports has lied about every appliance , car or truck, TV and stereo system I ever bought.
Maybe CR just went online and reviewed all the complaints and recalls on this site. Airbags, hoods, leaks, shifting, latches, missing parts, brakes, steering wheels.........

Last edited by CFI; 03-23-2016 at 01:27 PM.
post #57 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 02:40 PM

I'm pretty sure, that Southern Fella got a job at "CR"....LOL
JBT and Old 96 like this.

OFFICIAL Z71 PILOT
post #58 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 12:34 PM

Garage
You may not like the results, I may not like the results, but CR carries a lot of weight. The problem I have with their methodology is that they equate "issues" with "reliability".

I will use my Canyon as an example as I did fill out the CR survey. This is from memory so I may have the wording a little off. One of the questions was "Have you had an issue with body parts or hardware?". My Canyon came with badly aligned doors so I answered "Yes". "Was it fixed under warranty?" "Yes". Now I know from reading this forum that I am NOT THE ONLY ONE to have body panel alignment issues, or other quality control "issues", can anyone say "shifting", and those are big black check marks to CR. Does a misaligned door mean the truck is unreliable, probably not. But CR thinks there is a relationship with reliability hence the rating.

Flame suit on.

2015 Cyber Gray SLT CC SB 4x4
post #59 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoseMan View Post
You may not like the results, I may not like the results, but CR carries a lot of weight. The problem I have with their methodology is that they equate "issues" with "reliability".

I will use my Canyon as an example as I did fill out the CR survey. This is from memory so I may have the wording a little off. One of the questions was "Have you had an issue with body parts or hardware?". My Canyon came with badly aligned doors so I answered "Yes". "Was it fixed under warranty?" "Yes". Now I know from reading this forum that I am NOT THE ONLY ONE to have body panel alignment issues, or other quality control "issues", can anyone say "shifting", and those are big black check marks to CR. Does a misaligned door mean the truck is unreliable, probably not. But CR thinks there is a relationship with reliability hence the rating.

Flame suit on.
What's a bigger reliability issue?

Door misalignment?
Shift Issues?
Frame rusts in half?

Door misalignment never prevents me from making it home, but if it leaks water, a bigger issue.

Shift issues - lot of complaints, but save a few failed transmissions that are unrelated to the shifting issue, I still can get home.

Frame Rusts in half - I am walking. Now that is a reliability issue.

Defining reliability can be difficult. A lot of the issues early on with the Twins was the MYLINK & Onstar failures. In the end, none of those would keep me from making it home.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up cover.
post #60 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 12:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
What's a bigger reliability issue?

Door misalignment?
Shift Issues?
Frame rusts in half?

Door misalignment never prevents me from making it home, but if it leaks water, a bigger issue.

Shift issues - lot of complaints, but save a few failed transmissions that are unrelated to the shifting issue, I still can get home.

Frame Rusts in half - I am walking. Now that is a reliability issue.

Defining reliability can be difficult. A lot of the issues early on with the Twins was the MYLINK & Onstar failures. In the end, none of those would keep me from making it home.
That is what I was trying to say. But they lump them all together and in their opinion more issues means less reliable. Just like an old GM ad for the full-sized pickups. GM made the claim that their pickups were the "most reliable" and then followed it with a disclaimer stating that "reliability based on percentage of trucks on the road after X years".

2015 Cyber Gray SLT CC SB 4x4

Last edited by MoseMan; 04-13-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode