Colorado/Canyon on the 20 LEAST dependable car list - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Colorado/Canyon on the 20 LEAST dependable car list

Just read the Colorado and Canyon are on Consumer Reports 20 least dependable car list. Pretty sad if you ask me that 6 out of 20 are GM vehicles. 2nd is ford, 3rd is fiat Chrysler. No additional info on most common complaints with the twins though.
Southern Illinois likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 07:39 PM
JBT

Garage
How can they even figure that out when the truck is only a year old? So, it went from Car and Drivers " Truck of the Year" to least dependable in 6 months. Come On! Consumer Reports has lied about every appliance , car or truck, TV and stereo system I ever bought.
ocnblu, ahfor, jorge10928 and 8 others like this.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab

Last edited by JBT; 11-06-2015 at 07:44 PM.
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 07:40 PM

Well they didn't ask me.

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, I really like my truck (2016 Canyon SLE V6), I'll love it once I get wheels and the Trifecta Tune. But I've had the truck for 2 months and I already have a list of things I need addressed by the dealer. Previously had a 2014 Sonata turbo, had 28000 miles on it in less than 2 years and never had 1 issue with it. Not saying any car or truck will never have a problem but both front doors rattling, steering wheel just started to rattle, odd noise coming from inside the dash and squeaky breaks is a little crazy to me for a 2 month old truck. All little issues but DANG!

What do you guys think? Am I crazy for thinking this truck was rushed into production or attention to quality should be going on at the factory or by the engineers?

Again, I really like the overall package.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 09:19 PM

Mines been great, I dont anticipate any transmission problems either
JBT likes this.

2015 Colorado WT - 2.5L / 6-spd
1981 Camaro Z-28 - 377 / 4-spd, FiTech EFI
1972 Yamaha CT2 - 175cc 2-stroke
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 09:22 PM

Too many whiney b*tches in the world today is what I took away from that survey. I going to check with the wife as the mother-in-law has a subscription to CR.
ocnblu, gman_40, PAR and 1 others like this.

'80 LeMans Wagon | '87 MCSS | '07 TBSS
2015 Colorado Z71 CGM CCLB 4x4
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 10:11 PM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat View Post
Well, I really like my truck (2016 Canyon SLE V6), I'll love it once I get wheels and the Trifecta Tune. But I've had the truck for 2 months and I already have a list of things I need addressed by the dealer. Previously had a 2014 Sonata turbo, had 28000 miles on it in less than 2 years and never had 1 issue with it. Not saying any car or truck will never have a problem but both front doors rattling, steering wheel just started to rattle, odd noise coming from inside the dash and squeaky breaks is a little crazy to me for a 2 month old truck. All little issues but DANG!

What do you guys think? Am I crazy for thinking this truck was rushed into production or attention to quality should be going on at the factory or by the engineers?

Again, I really like the overall package.
I was looking at your posts. You have a lot of problems that no one else seems to have and a couple that other people really have. I feel sorry for you. I have a new Colorado and don't have any of these problems. All your doors rattle? A good dealer should not have even let you pick up that truck without fixing that problem. Thanks for posting.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
I was looking at your posts. You have a lot of problems that no one else seems to have and a couple that other people really have. I feel sorry for you. I have a new Colorado and don't have any of these problems. All your doors rattle? A good dealer should not have even let you pick up that truck without fixing that problem. Thanks for posting.

Thats the thing, all of these issues started after about 1000 miles. I hope to get all of them resolved soon. I'm not mad about it since they are small things.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:27 PM

Garage
I really like my Colorado, it has been way more enjoyable than my Nissan Frontier. I don't put a lot of stock in Consumer Reports, their "best" criteria seldom matches my personal criteria.
laterider likes this.

2015 Chevy Colorado LT, 4x4, Short Bed, G80 Locking Dif, Towing PKG, Projector Beam Lamps, heated leather seats, heated mirrors, NAV, Bose, transfer case skid plate...
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 12:45 AM

There will always be some type of review reported and each person gets to choose what they wish to believe.

This morning Canyon/Colorado owners were given reason to go on the defense with the magazine article.
This evening, Fiat and Ford owners are on the defensive after this report.

I can only imagine what the Escalade owners are thinking.

Apparently if two stories broke the same day, all vehicles must be on the most complained about list
The most common complaint items identified in the linked news article below are the same exact things complained about on this forum; noise, transmission and leaks.

Index: Consumer Reports of the Least Reliable Cars Video - ABC News
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 12:56 AM

Garage
I really stopped paying attention to Consumer Reports over a decade ago. After buying a top rated electronic device based on their reviews, too many turned out to be duds. Later I would find that I wasn't alone based on reviews from Newegg, Amazon, Crutchfield, etc.
one2doo likes this.

2016 Red Hot Z71 CC/SB 4x4
Factory: Spray-on bedliner, Wheel Flares, Towing Package, Bose
Mods: Airdam Delete, Zone 1.25" Level, Cooper AT/3 265/65R17's, Original Stubby Antenna, Access Lorado Tonneau Cover, K&N Drop-in air filter
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 10:21 AM

Garage
I looked at the CR article. In their summary, they cited the Colorado/Canyon's in-car electronics, climate system, and transmission. The first two baffle me. I recognize that CR has mixed up owners being confused and not knowing how to operate their infotainment system with true problems. A few months ago, CR reviewed many car manufacturer's infotainment systems and found My Link / Intellilink one of the better ones. I personally find the Intellilink system reasonably easy to use. No issues with me on the climate control system either and I haven't seen threads on this forum about it. The only one I think is valid is the transmission....which boils down to software. I did have my ECM/TCM flashed recently at my dealer. Its better but still not where it should be (still clumsy when driving about 20-25 mph and then needing to accelerate).

I find CR very inconsistent in their assessments. I'm also a BMW owner and have found them not complaining about iDrive on one car and then lowering their rating on another because of it.

There is one thing consistent about CR...their love affair with Lexus/Toyota.....oh, but they hate Lexus' interface with their infotaiment systems....but they never seem to lose points for that.

Last edited by jbc77; 11-07-2015 at 10:27 AM.
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 08:57 AM

Consumer Reports' 20 least reliable new cars

I wasn't very happy to see this news story as the Canyon was on my short list for a new vehicle.

Consumer Reports' least reliable new cars include the Fiat 500L, Jeep Cherokee and Nissan Pathfinder | Newsday
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 09:10 AM

Redundant post.

Keep the Canyon on your short list. The Canyon has a far more reliable reputation than Consumer Reports!
CanyonTO likes this.
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 09:11 AM

Garage
I am guessing the transmission/shifting is probably the largest complaint.
Haven't seen any of those issues, and I resolved (trifecta) the shifting lethargy.
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV View Post
I wasn't very happy to see this news story as the Canyon was on my short list for a new vehicle.

Consumer Reports' least reliable new cars include the Fiat 500L, Jeep Cherokee and Nissan Pathfinder | Newsday
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahfor View Post
Redundant post.

Keep the Canyon on your short list. The Canyon has a far more reliable reputation than Consumer Reports!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabbs View Post
I am guessing the transmission/shifting is probably the largest complaint.
Haven't seen any of those issues, and I resolved (trifecta) the shifting lethargy.
Today's posts merged to this thread.

See the link in my comment above for other vehicles that are less than desirable.
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 02:13 PM

500L the less reliable car reported? Sister-in law has one... and has put on a lot of miles through mountain roads, beach, etc.... not a single issue outside of having to replace one tire due to a flat...

The initial issues on the Canyon/Colorado are real... we see those posted in this forum by several owners... nothing new there. Jury is still out as far long-term reliability of these new trucks. The positive is that there were no drive train issues reported outside of the shifting reports... I am more concerned, longer-term, with the electronics/climate equipment issues...
Painkiller likes this.

Drive safe!
Wachuko

2012 BMW X5 Diesel
2015 FIAT Abarth
2015 FIAT 500c 1957 Edition
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 02:18 PM

Amazed at how many different brands with so many complaints on shifting issues...

Drive safe!
Wachuko

2012 BMW X5 Diesel
2015 FIAT Abarth
2015 FIAT 500c 1957 Edition
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 06:45 PM

Many CR readers are older and are just looking for a reliable appliance. The are totally befuddled by all navigation systems and most electronics. They do not understand that most modern auto tans are tuned to up shift for MPG, but can"learn" a more aggressive shift posture.

The '16 Tacoma has a similar transmission and similar modern electronics/climate equipment. Let's see if CR can overcome their Toyota bias and fairly report all the "problems" of the '16 Tacoma
jbc77 and one2doo like this.
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:49 PM

I have read the piece and they cite issues with the electronics and the shifting issues many users on here discuss ad nauseam. Basically nothing that would prevent you from getting A to B but important info for purchasers and totally normal on a new product.

My .02 says CR is correct and I'm not upset.
Painkiller likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode