• 1 Post By CaryBosse
  • 1 Post By putz
  • 1 Post By Janster
  • 1 Post By jd78

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
MSN compares the 2016 Colorado and Tacoma

Nice little comparison piece between the Collie and Taco. Although I'm slightly biased, I think them giving the nod to Tacoma in interior technology is crazy talk. Also, a tie in tow/haul comparison?? The Colorado has a 900lb towing capacity advantage, but loses bed weight to Toyota by 30lbs, and that constitutes a tie? Really?

Anyways, check it out and post your thoughts.

Head to Head: Chevrolet Colorado vs. Toyota Tacoma

2016 Colorado Z71 "Stormtrooper"
Summit White
CC LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 03:41 PM

Few more interesting quotes:

"New for 2016, a 2.8-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel version gets excellent gas mileage and top-notch towing ability for its class. " - Well, if they were getting decent performance putting gasoline in the diesel tank, more power to them.

"Significantly, the Tacoma has one of the highest predicted reliability ratings in its class – but the Colorado ties it."

I don't think their pricing comparison on slide 3 helps a bit, not sure if they are just unable to understand either manufacturer's pricing structure or they are just lost.

Slide 4 points out Tacoma has a standard rear view camera but neglects to mention (1) that GM does too and (2) that next year all vehicles will have rear view camera.

"Overall, the Colorado’s interior looks and feels more expensive than rivals’ like the Tacoma and Nissan Frontier. Triple-sealed doors also mean than it’s quieter...The 2016 Toyota Tacoma’s ...back seats are still smaller than competitors’." - Advantage Chevy.

Note this comment for you sunroof fans in regards to Taco: "Critics also report that the Tacoma’s moonroof cuts into headroom for passengers sitting up front."

"The Tacoma also comes with...most unusually, a windshield mount for a GoPro camera to capture your weekend off-roading excursions." - OK, I can give that advantage to the Taco, but really, that is all you need to win at technology?

"The 2016 Toyota Tacoma ... Both beds are wide enough to haul items 4-feet wide like sheets of plywood and have movable tie-downs to secure cargo." - Suggests that you can put 48" between wheel wells - the Taco brochure says that width is 41.5" as opposed to a 44.4" on the Twins.

"When it comes to hauling the Tacoma does better, though: its top is 1,620 pounds. That’s available on the SR and SR5 trims when equipped with a two-wheel drive access cab, long bed, four-cylinder engine, and six-speed automatic transmission." - So, that 30 pound advantage in load is only with the 4 cyl gasser?
yammierider likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 PM

Garage
Slide 13 is wicked cool looking.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 09:45 PM

Most reviews are skewed depending on who is paying. I say, take yourself both for a test drive and you decide what is best for you. You are buying anyways...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 02:47 PM

Garage
look at the front of the Tacoma, should lose just based on that
Toughsox likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT
Leather/Nav/Bose v6 4x4 Onyx Black
Spray in liner and soft tonneau
2" level kit, 275/65/18 ko2 (minor rubbing at full lock)
20% tint on front, air dam removed, nfab nerf bars, GM skid plate, superskidz front skid plate
6k hid kit from dd, led fogs
trifecta, kicker vss sub
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:18 PM

Coming from many years of Tacoma ownership, I can't say which is better. They both have their pros & cons. I know WHY I bought my Canyon vs the new Tacoma - and that's because the Tacoma is very limited in options & packages. But.... They don't mention that.

In terms of reliability.... My Canyon has some big shoes to fill. Only time will tell if this truck can impress me in the reliability department. I'm really hoping it can impress me.
Reverendbiker likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 04:18 PM

Garage
The first slide is awesome! Like how they used the Midnight Edition for that side-by-side comparison shot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack14u View Post
Slide 13 is wicked cool looking.
#13 is very cool too... Ending with the Midnight Edition and Trail Boss... Looks like all their photos were taken from other sources, though... So much for original content, but, I digress...

2016 COLORADO LT 4X4 CCSB (Build Thread)
DURAMAXDIESEL MIDNIGHT EDITION
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystof View Post
Although I'm slightly biased, I think them giving the nod to Tacoma in interior technology is crazy talk.
As someone who traded in a Toyota (2014) for a Colorado, I completely agree. I have to assume they are referring to the GoPro accessories because Entune is garbage. Mylink and Onstar combo are hands down a better experience than Entune and to tops things off, I don't think Toyota offers either Apple Car Play or Android Auto.
Bernie40 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode