What's the Best Midsize Pickup for 2016? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Talking What's the Best Midsize Pickup for 2016?

pickuptrucks.com selects the Canyon!

What's the Best Midsize Pickup for 2016? - PickupTrucks.com News

2015 Canyon SLT Crew Cab, SB, V6, 2WD, Onyx Black, Jet Black Leather, Nav, Bose, Tow, Safety Pkg, Spray Liner, BAK RevolverX2, OPT7 LED Lows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:49 PM

isnt the colorado and canyon almost the same?

they scored different...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buton View Post
isnt the colorado and canyon almost the same?

they scored different...
Yeah, I have not previous experience with this site, but the "review" was pretty weak. I couldn't tell if they even knew that the twins are basically the same and it also looked like they weren't even comparing comparable trim levels across all the trucks.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The Colorado had the 6' bed while the Canyon had a 5' bed. The Canyon also has AWD mode, which the writer noted. I'm sure both of these differences affect the driving experience.

2015 Canyon SLT Crew Cab, SB, V6, 2WD, Onyx Black, Jet Black Leather, Nav, Bose, Tow, Safety Pkg, Spray Liner, BAK RevolverX2, OPT7 LED Lows
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:45 AM

And heads on the Taco forum are currently exploding as the Taco didn't even come in at number 2...LOL.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 07:00 AM

The best midsize truck for 2016?

I say, the one that suit your needs.

What about the small pickup truck segment.... I do not think there is one; so why calling the Colorado/Canyon midsize? Just saying.....
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 08:27 AM

Garage
The fact the Ridgeline came in 2nd and the Colorado 3rd invalidates this whole article! How can a minivan with a bed place right between two identical trucks?
wachuko, Vinolush and orbiteleven like this.

Paul
2016 Colorado LT, Ext Cab
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:12 AM

Article highlights how hard it is to actually compare apples-to-apples on models. Even between the Twins there is discrepancy.

How much better would Twins have scored if they simply removed the air dam from them for offroad?

The method for the payload testing was somewhat unfair I believe.

Different models of each truck may have done better on certain tests. Offroad models better for offroad, other models better for other uses. Actually, Honda was the only one where this would not be the case, the biggest variations between different Ridgelines is in tech like radio and stupid bed turns into a speaker. Functional, little difference.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:14 PM

2016 GMC Canyon Named Best Midsize Truck | GM Authority

GM Authority just posted about cars.com naming the Canyon best midsize as well. I haven't read the pickuptrucks.com article but I think they are the same organization as cars.com
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock View Post
The fact the Ridgeline came in 2nd and the Colorado 3rd invalidates this whole article! How can a minivan with a bed place right between two identical trucks?

Is just like the Pressidential elections whoever give the most cash is ahead in their rigged polls. Honda has nothing in my book; not worring about it.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Read the discussion at Ridgeline Owners Club.

Some members are trying to justify that the Ridgeline actually won.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 01:42 PM

Garage
Yeah... they should have at least made an attempt at apples-to-apples comparisons. Testing a 6' Colorado against a 5' Canyon creates odd comparisons:
Quote:
"When running over dirt and trails, the longer wheelbase seemed to help the Colorado soak up bumps better than the Canyon."
WTF? Yeah, a longer wheelbase on ANY truck will have that affect. It has nothing to do with the truck itself.

Further, they really should have thrown a (5') Duramax in the mix. I'd have liked to see how it stacked. Oh well...

'16 Colorado Z71 Duramax, White
Build-out post
Westin Sportsman grille guard w/ winch tray · Century CC 180 topper · Smittybilt 9500lb winch · Mictuning 36" LED bar · King remote reservoir coil-over front, piggy-back rear suspension.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiteleven View Post
Further, they really should have thrown a (5') Duramax in the mix. I'd have liked to see how it stacked. Oh well...
They couldn't include a Duramax since that would have shifted the rating curve so much the others would have been off the bottom of the chart

404 Not Found and orbiteleven like this.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 03:24 PM

Well it's stupid because they said that the had a price limit and that's why they didn't do the diesel but then they go and test a 5k more Honda?

Z71 long bed Colorado, Short bed mid level Canyon, High end Honda, Off road Toyota and I don't even about the Frontier. Comparisons are not the same. They needed to use closest trim levels, or price at least and similar configs... If they were all as close trim and config then the prices would be a good comparison in itself... with Honda loosing.
Like other stated too, should have tested the loads at 90% what ever the lowest is, etc.

I'm also really confused how a loaded Tacoma got better mileage than unloaded, and some breaking distances showed similar confusing discrepancies...

Either way it mostly shows that the twins are a great all around truck, the Frontier is outdated and needs a refresh, the Tacoma is over hyped and not as good and the Ridgeline is a good everyday crossover-truck for people that prefer comfort over capability. Overall I am still happy with the Colorado and don't regret it over the Ridgeline.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To

Last edited by kaiser67; 08-25-2016 at 03:28 PM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiteleven View Post
Yeah... they should have at least made an attempt at apples-to-apples comparisons. Testing a 6' Colorado against a 5' Canyon creates odd comparisons:

WTF? Yeah, a longer wheelbase on ANY truck will have that affect. It has nothing to do with the truck itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRado View Post
They couldn't include a Duramax since that would have shifted the rating curve so much the others would have been off the bottom of the chart

Based on some of the comments in the article, they set a price range or max price for the truck provided by the manufacturer. So, diesel would have been off the price chart. However, there is a comment that seems to suggest Honda got a $5,000.00 waiver to allow the model that was tested to be in the mix.

I don't know for certain if this is true, no time to investigate.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 03:34 PM

The worst ranked truck scored about 92% as many points as the top ranked truck.

In most categories, there is not a big difference from truck to truck. Often within about a 5% margin.
Having GMC and Chevrolet, mechanical twins, in the test sheds some light on the accuracy of their tests.

For example 60 to zero braking, without payload, the short box GMC with street tires had a stopping distance that was almost 9ft longer than the long bed Colorado with all terrain tires. The Colorado was 2.4" longer than shortest stopping distance. The Canyon had the worst stopping distance. Best-to-worst difference of about 6% in this test. But, with 90% payload, the short bed Canyon stopped 7.3ft shorter than the long bed Colorado.

Does this braking test result help you choose what truck to buy? Me neither.

Then, as kaiser67 pointed, out, it is a little unusual that the loaded Tacoma got 6.7% better fuel economy than when unloaded.

In the off road story, they say the Z71 came with Bilstien shocks. Wrong.
CaryBosse likes this.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.

Last edited by rkj__; 08-25-2016 at 03:49 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
The worst ranked truck scored about 92% as many points as the top ranked truck.

In most categories, there is not a big difference from truck to truck. Often within about a 5% margin.
Having GMC and Chevrolet, mechanical twins, in the test sheds some light on the accuracy of their tests.

For example 60 to zero braking, without payload, the short box GMC's stopping distance was almost 9ft longer than the long bed Colorado. The Colorado was 2.4" longer than shortest stopping distance. The Colorado had the worst stopping distance. Best-to-worst difference of about 6% in this test. But, with 90% payload, the short bed Canyon stopped 7.3ft shorter than the long bed Colorado.

Does this braking test result help you choose what truck to buy? Me neither.
Tells you that other than maybe the Frontier, the differences are so small that you need to pick the truck you like the best. Things like seat comfort or real needs like 7k towing should direct your choice, not overall performance.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:36 PM

Garage
My thinking on the Ridgeline is that real trucks don't make you empty your bed full of mulch, tools, dirt, debris, etc if you have a flat tire. Since the spare on the Ridgeline is only accessed via the bed and isn't under the vehicle, you would be out of luck. My luck the first time I hauled tree trimmings to the recycle place, I'd have a flat and have a big issue on the side of the road.

Not an owner yet, but plan to go from my 2002 Frontier to a 2017 Canyon SLT as soon as they will let me order one

Last edited by sivartk; 08-25-2016 at 06:44 PM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 10:23 PM

maybe the pricing was a factor.
**** ask consumer reports they're the real authorities on everything...
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
And heads on the Taco forum are currently exploding as the Taco didn't even come in at number 2...LOL.
I have to wonder if the Tacoma didn't rank that well because the new truck is laden with issues. I was seriously considering a 2016 Tacoma at one point but after spending some time on the tacomaworld forum I wouldn't touch the thing. That new truck is having a myriad of issues and some of them pretty serious. Not to mention that the price tags on the Tacoma are pretty ridiculous because Toyota has officially adopted the "Our crap don't stink" mentality when it comes to their trucks.
fftr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode