Roadtrip Ramble: '16 V6 4x4 w/ Trifecta Tune & Bose Sound - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By modake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Roadtrip Ramble: '16 V6 4x4 w/ Trifecta Tune & Bose Sound

I have a new GMC Canyon SLE Crew with some add-ons, MSRP was 37k if that gives you an idea. I bought the 4wd for no reason and went for the V6 for power. Even with the tune it is faster than my VW Beetle TDI, but not as much felt torque or 0-40 performance. The 98MPH speed limiter really pisses me off, the Trifecta tune did not remove this. The suspension is also stiff, and I usually drive a lowered car on coilovers. Great on the highway though and it doesn't feel like a boat. I can't take sharp turns nearly as fast as my car without breaking the rear loose, but it's a truck and has a light ass I guess.

I drove about 2600 miles round trip over a five day span from Orlando, FL to Iowa. I averaged 20 MPG (24 according to the trip computer) running at 80 for three tanks cruise, with one tank at 80-90 passing/flooring it a lot, and another tank at 90 on cruise. Overall there were many fill-ups and hills, but my average according to the trip computer was 24mpg/2600 miles, so I'm assuming the 7 hand-calculated tanks reading 20mpg are accurate. The truck ran perfect at those speeds and I didn't notice any wind noise or any issues with driving. Surprisingly I got better mileage driving 90 during one tank than I did at 80 with cruise, but I think I may have been going downhill into MO. Chattanooga, TN has some pretty crazy roads on the Interstate, especially with all of the Semis, but the truck handled the turns at high speed with ease.

Sleeping in the truck was difficult, I can stretch out by flattening the passenger seat and laying diagonally across the middle, better than a hard floor. The drivers seat has no lumbar support so an Ikea feather pillow worked absolutely perfect, no back pain at all during each 18 hour leg, which is a first. CarPlay was fine but had some bugs, nothing too bad. Lane assist was nice, the rear ending alert thing had a 10% rate of successfully identifying a potential collision, does this vibrate the brake pedal or actually apply braking force? The one time it didn't throw a false alarm it felt like it did it's job, so I'm definitely getting this feature again.

The Bose stereo. This is a $500 upgrade or so. I'm glad I have it but ****, it sucks. There isn't enough sound quality at higher volumes, and the rear is fairly muffled, affecting the presence/stage. Can anyone tell me the speaker configuration of the non-Bose trucks because I may be able to yank the speakers and sell them as an upgrade to someone here. I could build a much better system for that price so I guess I'll just have to do that, hopefully the stock wiring will support it. At lower levels it sounds fine, base is actually decent, and I can hear fainter artifacts in my music, but sometimes you just need it loud. I mainly listen to Nirvana, acoustic and regular. I may be an outlier for this, but if you want high quality music in this nice quiet truck, you may be better off putting in the sweat and building your own. Otherwise the Bose is a nice upgrade.

The Navigation. Like the Bose I got this as part of the package and couldn't really buy the truck/configuration I wanted without it. I wanna yank this and trade for a regular head unit, because it isn't needed for me.

The Trifecta tune is nice, the power is there but the throttle is very sensitive in normal mode, more so than any stick I've owned. Thankfully there's the eco mode which does it's job well, and feels much like the stock configuration but with better shift patterns.

Storage in the truck sucks, but that's to be expected. I feel the under seat storage in the rear could be better. I've seen what the metal bar looks like, now enclose that in a big tupperware container and call it a day. That way I could put my guns in there and throw crap into the extra spaces. You can store a lot of water bottles in the space behind the rear seat backs, in the bottom. Why is the passenger seat unpowered or at least without a mechanical height adjustment? Why no LED interior lighting, are those standard halogens in the headlights? This was a $37k truck, do I really need to be a millionaire to get LEDs and (cheap) HIDs standard?

If I could do it again I'd get the diesel and drop the 4x4 just for the MPGs and 90+ cruising ability. 4wd is nice though. Initially I wanted the extended cab but I'm glad I bought the 4 door, didn't even think I'd need it at all. Must fill with babies now. My wife absolutely loves driving it.
chilliard325 likes this.

Last edited by modake; 09-28-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

I have 16k on this truck now, did this road trip again. I installed a kicker hideaway sub under the back seat and disconnected the center speaker, which helped things a lot. 20MPG, no issues thus far. Tires look great and I floor it a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode