5000 Miles - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By CaryBosse
  • 1 Post By JoeHenry
  • 1 Post By brobox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

5000 Miles

Well, almost 5,000 miles on my Canyon (SLT, crew, short box and V6) and I have to say it has been different than any of my daily drivers since 1963.
It's a beautiful truck. Bright red with black leather. Other than the lifeless transmission and that is mostly around town, it drives pretty well. Holds the road well and is super quiet. Maybe a product of my age (almost 70) but I have no use for all the computer stuff in the dash. Dropped the WYFI, SiriusXM and soon for the Onstar. Do have my iPhone paired with the truck. Radio is almost never played.
Handles my Bass boat really well. In tow mode it actually seems to shift better. Love the storage and roomy cab. Interior is much nicer than trucks I have had in the past.
Doesn't use any oil, gas mileage is great, 21 -22 around town.
Just not impressed with the way the transmission shifts under 40 mph. Been to the dealer three times now for that.
If the transmission would shift like it should, the truck would be a keeper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 08:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHenry View Post
Well, almost 5,000 miles on my Canyon (SLT, crew, short box and V6) and I have to say it has been different than any of my daily drivers since 1963.
It's a beautiful truck. Bright red with black leather. Other than the lifeless transmission and that is mostly around town, it drives pretty well. Holds the road well and is super quiet. Maybe a product of my age (almost 70) but I have no use for all the computer stuff in the dash. Dropped the WYFI, SiriusXM and soon for the Onstar. Do have my iPhone paired with the truck. Radio is almost never played.
Handles my Bass boat really well. In tow mode it actually seems to shift better. Love the storage and roomy cab. Interior is much nicer than trucks I have had in the past.
Doesn't use any oil, gas mileage is great, 21 -22 around town.
Just not impressed with the way the transmission shifts under 40 mph. Been to the dealer three times now for that.
If the transmission would shift like it should, the truck would be a keeper.
Any particular reason why you wouldn't consider throwing a tune on the truck to address the poor transmission performance issue? Anecdotal evidence from folks on the forum would seem to indicate that impressive improvements have been seen on their vehicles after installing the tune.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc847 View Post
Any particular reason why you wouldn't consider throwing a tune on the truck to address the poor transmission performance issue? Anecdotal evidence from folks on the forum would seem to indicate that impressive improvements have been seen on their vehicles after installing the tune.
My reasons, though I am approaching a point where I may change my mind...

1. Costs

2. Time to implement. (This really is part of the costs.)

3. Fighting GM if there is a warranty issue. (Main reason)

4. Apprehension - have never done a "tune" like this on a vehicle. Not quite the same as loosening the bolt on the distributor and turning the distributor a degree or two. That was all touchy-feely, could even do it with the engine running. I can't touch the "0" & "1" bits and know what I am doing to my truck. I know, I know - get over it. Move into the 21st century. Throw all of those wrenches and sockets out, who needs them. These days you can fix anything with a laptop & a USB cord.
CrashFix and Vinolush like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc847 View Post

A new truck that cost $40,000 list should not need $500 spent on it just to make it run like it should from the factory.
And I don't like the idea of possibly ending my factory warranty. Bottom line here, it should run better than it does.
squiggyfreud likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHenry View Post
A new truck that cost $40,000 list should not need $500 spent on it just to make it run like it should from the factory.
And I don't like the idea of possibly ending my factory warranty. Bottom line here, it should run better than it does.
Ever consider that it runs the way it was intended to, and that it doesn't need that tune, but may suit your driving style much better with it?

It's not that the truck is undriveable in stock form, or that there's anything mechanically wrong with it, it's just not what you expect it to be. So tune it to your liking. Or don't. Maybe it's just not the vehicle for you if you hate the way it comes from factory :)

2016 Canyon All Terrain V6
Morimoto HID 35w 5500k + Morimoto LED Fogs
Trifecta Tune
Fox 2.0 coilovers and shocks
265/70/17 BFG KO2 All Terrains
Bakflip F1 tonneau cover
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:47 PM

JoeHenry, I couldn't agree more with you about the Colorado. Really like the truck, but the shifting is a joke. I am waiting for GM to figure out why I am only getting 13.7 MPG then I will spend the $300. for the tune, but I can't until I have to stop going into the dealer for the PIP's and mileage issues. Outside of those issues....nice truck.

Chuck
2016 Colorado Red Rock, Z71, 4x4 short bed crew cab, tow package, loaded to tow behind my Motorhome

Last edited by brobox; 10-06-2016 at 01:51 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Not quite the same as loosening the bolt on the distributor and turning the distributor a degree or two. That was all touchy-feely, could even do it with the engine running. I can't touch the "0" & "1" bits and know what I am doing to my truck. I know, I know - get over it. Move into the 21st century. Throw all of those wrenches and sockets out, who needs them. These days you can fix anything with a laptop & a USB cord.
Anyone need a flexible Chevy point adjustment tool? Only those of us that could fix a poor running or shifting problem Chevy in 5 minutes would know what one of those are. Now we are at the mercies of dealers and GM that don't have a clue. New MPG today 13. 4 at fill up. Sure wish I could use my old "tune" tools. Now, I nor the dealer or GM have a clue what to do.
Vinolush likes this.

Chuck
2016 Colorado Red Rock, Z71, 4x4 short bed crew cab, tow package, loaded to tow behind my Motorhome

Last edited by brobox; 10-06-2016 at 06:14 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:52 AM

Maybe it's because I am driving the 2.5 version of the truck but I haven't had a single issue or complaint about the shifting nature of the transmission. I find it to be rather intuitive in fact. The truck will even down shift when I am going down a hill to use engine speed braking.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
Maybe it's because I am driving the 2.5 version of the truck but I haven't had a single issue or complaint about the shifting nature of the transmission. I find it to be rather intuitive in fact. The truck will even down shift when I am going down a hill to use engine speed braking.
Mine does too, but I have the diesel. Do you have gas or diesel?
All the trans complaints I've ever read were with the gas truck.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
Mine does too, but I have the diesel. Do you have gas or diesel?
All the trans complaints I've ever read were with the gas truck.
Mine is gas. It's a 2.5 liter. Pretty much about as entry level as a GMC can get. Just barely a step above a work truck.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:50 AM

I don't have a problem with the tranny on highway or around town in mine, but having held a SCCA license in my former racing years, maybe my foot has instinctively learned to drive around the trannys idiosyncrasies.

Although I do admit for the first 500 miles when I got my truck I thought the tranny felt a bit odd, but now at 8K is fine for me.

Unfortunately I have noticed it's a common complaint on the forum here and while I agree spending $500 to fix something that should be working from the factory isn't right, if it's the only option then I would consider it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 07:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
I don't have a problem with the tranny on highway or around town in mine, but having held a SCCA license in my former racing years, maybe my foot has instinctively learned to drive around the trannys idiosyncrasies.

Unfortunately I have noticed it's a common complaint on the forum here and while I agree spending $500 to fix something that should be working from the factory isn't right, if it's the only option then I would consider it.
That is my thoughts as well, I may of gotten lucky I don't know but I have no complaints about how mine shifts (Knock on wood). I find with the right amount of throttle you can make the thing dance, impressive response from a v6 IMO.

If I was having the problems others seemed to be having, I would most likely get a tune, might anyways some time down the road.

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 08:31 AM

Having owned Vettes for many years, it didn't take long to realize the shifting problem with "my" Colorado....I can fix that with a tune. Does anyone have any ideas how to get the mileage out of the 13 MPG range? The more I put my foot in it to get rid of the shifting problems the worse the mileage gets. Keeping my foot out of it and let it continue not to shift, I still can't break 14 MPG.

Chuck
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 08:39 AM

I have the 2.5L, and I'm fine with the transmission. I have learned how to drive it with smooth and steadily increases of throttle. The stock tune is definitely not made for people who like to mash it. It will freak out. Also, when making turns I've found I need to accelerate into the turn a little bit instead of accelerating after the turn. Post-turns is where I find the most oddities with the transmission, but after 4200 miles it seems pretty stable on my truck. I also think I have plenty of power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode