Camerons Car Reviews - 2017 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Camerons Car Reviews - 2017 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel

sivartk likes this.

2004 GMC Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4x4

Site Rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:30 PM

Garage
Everyone thinks the LED's are DRL's

2017 GMC Canyon SLT V6 2WD Crew Cab Short Box
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:48 PM

Garage
My dealer said he had one guy bring his 2.8 back and say he just could not stand how slow it was. Taking almost 10 seconds to get up to 60 MPH when trying to merge into traffic was just not worth the 600 pounds of increased towing and fuel savings.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:31 PM

Still got the 90's key fob!
Ben F likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab All Terrain 4x4 3.6L V6

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolfxix View Post
Still got the 90's key fob!
I opted for the SLT (custom ordered) over the Denali because for an extra ~$8K I couldn't justify the changes.

1. Bose and Navigation -- no desire for these with AA and Bose is just so-so.
2. Heated Steering Wheel -- yeah, I'm in Texas, pass.
3. Different Grill -- well, everyone in my neighborhood has a Denali of some sort, so the standard grill actually stands out.
4. 20" Wheels -- More sidewall on the 18's = less worrying about how close to a curb you are.
5. Forward Collision Alert / Lane Departure Warning -- yeah, I'd just turn them off.
6. Wireless charging pad -- I guess nice for my passengers, but with AA you must use USB and it charges anyway.
7. Ventilated seats -- this would have been nice to have.
8. Running boards -- not a fan and I'm leaning toward the AMP Research power boards for my truck.
9. Better Leather seats -- well that's to be seen, but I tend to take care of my leather surfaces frequently so I'm not too worried.

I think that covered all the differences vs. the 2017 SLT that I ordered, so for just the ventilated seats, I'll deal with it. Plus my truck stays in the garage when I'm home, too.

Edit: I forgot that Denali logo with the spray in bedliner, I guess I'll just have to live with the GMC logo with my bedliner

2017 GMC Canyon SLT V6 2WD Crew Cab Short Box

Last edited by sivartk; 12-13-2016 at 08:31 PM.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
My dealer said he had one guy bring his 2.8 back and say he just could not stand how slow it was. Taking almost 10 seconds to get up to 60 MPH when trying to merge into traffic was just not worth the 600 pounds of increased towing and fuel savings.
Must not know how to drive a diesel and keep it in the low rpms where it will just keep pulling. Or he thought a diesel truck was supposed to be fast. Idiots out there for sure, if he wanted fast he should have bought a muscle car. The Dmax is built to tow and work as a truck is normally used for.

Not to mention the diesel will hold the 60 mph towing going up a 8% grade, where the gas trucks fall back and are s.ucking fuel back at 4500 rpm trying to hold speed on the grade

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.

Last edited by dmaxjr; 12-13-2016 at 09:13 PM.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxjr View Post
Must not know how to drive a diesel and keep it in the low rpms where it will just keep pulling. Or he thought a diesel truck was supposed to be fast. Idiots out there for sure, if he wanted fast he should have bought a muscle car. The Dmax is built to tow and work as a truck is normally used for.

Not to mention the diesel will hold the 60 mph towing going up a 8% grade, where the gas trucks fall back and are s.ucking fuel back at 4500 rpm trying to hold speed on the grade
The diesel only has 181hp. Its slow. No way around that fact. The 181hp diesel is also not going to out-pull the 300hp V6 up a grade. Yes its screaming near redline and guzzling gas, but its designed to handle that without a problem.

TFL Truck Ike Gauntlet towing test. Same 5500 lbs trailer, 8 miles climbing 2k feet up to 11k feet, with an upper section up to a 7% grade. The V6 beat the diesel by a minute. 7:54 vs 8:55. The V6 should also have been at a disadvantage at that altitude since it is normally aspirated. Turbocharged engines can usually make up some for the thinner air. The diesel was far more efficient. 6.7 mpg vs 3.6 mpg for the V6.

V6:

Diesel:
Arctic Cat ZRT and kaiser67 like this.

Site Rules

Last edited by BahamaTodd; 12-14-2016 at 01:02 PM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Did they install the wrong heat / ventilation buttons? Shouldn't the driver side also have the ventilation button?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CropperCapture[138].jpg (21.5 KB, 65 views)

Site Rules
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
Did they install the wrong heat / ventilation buttons? Shouldn't the driver side also have the ventilation button?
Yea I made the same comment on Cameron's video... Not sure what is going on there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

Another member here had the same issue but on a collie. Which doesn't get ventilated seats...

Resident thread derailer

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CC SB 4x4

Site Rules

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
The diesel only has 181hp. Its slow. No way around that fact. The 181hp diesel is also not going to out-pull the 300hp V6 up a grade. Yes its screaming near redline and guzzling gas, but its designed to handle that without a problem.

TFL Truck Ike Gauntlet towing test. Same 5500 lbs trailer, 8 miles climbing from 2k to 11k feet, with an upper section up to a 7% grade. The V6 beat the diesel by a minute. 7:54 vs 8:55. The V6 should also have been at a disadvantage at that altitude since it is normally aspirated. Turbocharged engines can usually make up some for the thinner air. The diesel was far more efficient. 6.7 mpg vs 3.6 mpg for the V6.

The way they drove the diesel just proves my point. You can't run it up at 3000 rpm and expect it to pull the best it can. If they had actually backed off and let the diesel upshift and pull at 2300- 2500 rpm it would have actually pulled faster and got even better fuel economy. If you back off to allow higher gear and better fuel economy on the gas it would slow down and HAVE to downshift sending rpm back into redline . Knowing how to use torque and gearing is key to making the diesel shine. There is no way the service life will be as long with a gas running over 5000 rpm and the diesel running 2300 rpm doing the same work . There is no comparison when towing gas vs diesel , comfort and no drama is key to the towing. Now go down that steep grade , the diesel will be holding back that load with very little stress or input from operator, gas will have you braking and downshifting much more. Over a long trip that can be very tiring.
404 Not Found and KMW like this.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Torque means nothing without rpm. Horsepower is everything. In the video the duramax was running 3000 rpm and peak horsepower is at 3400 rpm. Meaning it didn't even have enough power to accelerate to get to peak horsepower. Upshifting and running it at lower rpm where its making less horsepower would slow them down.

Yes the diesel is a better all around tow vehicle for fuel efficiency, durability, and stopping. However when it comes to acceleration and speed (once moving), more horsepower wins.

Arctic Cat ZRT likes this.

Site Rules
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxjr View Post

I agree to some extent. But there is no way to make the truck faster. Its not just slow...its dog slow. If you buy it to just tow exclusively then that is a good move. If the truck is going to be your DD, merging onto a busy freeway is going to be a nightmare.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:17 AM

Todd is right.
Horsepower is a function of rpm and torque, lower rpm is going to result in lower hp. hp = T*n /5252
Yeah if they decreased speed they would get better torque but then loosing a lot of hp. The torque will get it moving, the hp will keep it moving.

Also, 10 sec 0-60 is pretty slow, no polishing that. It's a truck, diesel truck, so it ain't winning any raced but can't ignore that is indeed pretty slow.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:19 AM

I took my 15 Colorado to Maine through the mountains of Vermont last summer towing a 7' wide travel trailer weighing 5900 lbs and 5 of us in the cab. I completely agree that I was able to make it up the hills quickly but I didn't like the sound of my truck pegged trying to do it and surely didn't enjoy the mpg. I am planning the same trip this summer and can't wait to try with my new minimax. I think both my wife and I will enjoy it a great deal more at 2500-3k rpm up those slopes! We will see.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I took my 15 Colorado to Maine through the mountains of Vermont last summer towing a 7' wide travel trailer weighing 5900 lbs and 5 of us in the cab. I completely agree that I was able to make it up the hills quickly but I didn't like the sound of my truck pegged trying to do it and surely didn't enjoy the mpg. I am planning the same trip this summer and can't wait to try with my new minimax. I think both my wife and I will enjoy it a great deal more at 2500-3k rpm up those slopes! We will see.
That's pretty loaded. Probably right at the payload limit. Nice to know it handles it fine in hills.

Site Rules
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
TFL Truck Ike Gauntlet towing test. Same 5500 lbs trailer, 8 miles climbing from 2k to 11k feet, with an upper section up to a 7% grade. The V6 beat the diesel by a minute. 7:54 vs 8:55. The V6 should also have been at a disadvantage at that altitude since it is normally aspirated. Turbocharged engines can usually make up some for the thinner air. The diesel was far more efficient. 6.7 mpg vs 3.6 mpg for the V6.
Just for clarification since I live in the state and know that section of road pretty well. It doesn't go from 2k to 11k in 8 miles, that would be insane. There is 2k feet of elevation gain in 8 miles (which is still pretty steep for the interstate). I believe their starting elevation is around 8k.
BahamaTodd likes this.

2015 Red Z71 4x4 CC Short Box
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELBURNS View Post
Just for clarification since I live in the state and know that section of road pretty well. It doesn't go from 2k to 11k in 8 miles, that would be insane. There is 2k feet of elevation gain in 8 miles (which is still pretty steep for the interstate). I believe their starting elevation is around 8k.
Thanks. Corrected.
WHEELBURNS likes this.

Site Rules
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 01:42 PM

At 2:19 in the video review it looks as though the Denali still has a manual lever for adjusting the seat back angle? Are you kidding me??
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:

It looks like it's wrong. But I have seen pictures of another Denali on a dealerships website and it also has the same buttons for the seats. I wonder if the first batch is all wrong. Hope mine is right when it's made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode