My Comments....after 1 year. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

My Comments....after 1 year.

[IMG][/IMG]

First, let me start off by saying that GM got this truck 95% right. There's so much to like about it from the size, the looks, the performance, the economy, and fun driving aspect......but there are a few things driving me nuts!

1. Seat adjustment. I'm tall and need the seat as low as possible, but when I lower the seat to get my head out of the roof the front of the bottom seat cushion raises thus making it uncomfortable to the point of cutting off the circulation in my legs. This truck needs at least a 6-way seat adjustment....I don't even care if its manual....I need the ability to get the seat in a position where I'm comfortable.

2. I have four vehicles......the other three have the following features that I want on my truck.....even if they are an option I would like the ability to spec my truck the way I want it....
-Keyless entry.....I hate fishing for my keys when I get to the door.
-Push button start.....again its a key thing
-Homelink.....I don't like the stupid door opener hanging on the visor and I don't like the idea of modifying a $40K truck to install it.
-Real Daylight LED running lights....why on earth they turn on the headlights with the LED's in there blows my mind.
-I would like to have the option to delete the Sliding Rear Window (I have an SLT)...I don't use it....I don't like the way it looks, and its easy for a thief to pop it open.

Since I'm 70 years old I'm very safety conscience.....would like to have these features...

-All LED lights period!
-Turn signal lights in the mirrors.
-Blind Side Warning
-Front and Rear Bumper proximity sensors

There's nothing else in the market that I would replace my Canyon with at this time....while the Ridgeline has all the features I want....its really not a truck and its downright ugly. I did look seriously for a few weeks, but I decided NO!

I'm just hoping that GM reads these forums and understands what people really want and will pay for as opposed to putting it out there with a take it or leave it. A truck costing $40K should have this stuff at least as an option. I really had high hopes for the Danali......but 20" wheels, steps, coated bed and a little bit better leather while still not having the options noted above doesn't justify the $4K cost difference for me.....I really want what I want!

Please don't flame me too bad!!!!

Last edited by Tractman; 12-14-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 04:10 PM

No need to flame, a good honest opinion.

I might disagree with the push button start and keyless entry. I don't see a need for turn signals in the mirror. Proximity sensors not a big deal to me, nor do I have to have the LED lights, etc.

On the other hand, your seat comment & sliding rear window, dead on. Blind spot warning - having driven a loaner with it, this should be standard, right up there with the rear view camera.

And your sentiments on the Denali pretty much echo my comments from another thread.
supermodulation and Two Door like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up cover.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 04:16 PM

Your review is good, thank you. However, I'm trading my 2016 in for a Denali. The Denali platform is exclusive to the top of the line in GM. It may not reach as high in the inaugural edition, but eventually GM will see what we want and hopefully add those options you listed.

zoz

2017 GMC Canyon Denali (build 01/05/17)
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractman View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

First, let me start off by saying that GM got this truck 95% right. There's so much to like about it from the size, the looks, the performance, the economy, and fun driving aspect......but there are a few things driving me nuts!

1. Seat adjustment. I'm tall and need the seat as low as possible, but when I lower the seat to get my head out of the roof the front of the bottom seat cushion raises thus making it uncomfortable to the point of cutting off the circulation in my legs. This truck needs at least a 6-way seat adjustment....I don't even care if its manual....I need the ability to get the seat in a position where I'm comfortable.

2. I have four vehicles......the other three have the following features that I want on my truck.....even if they are an option I would like the ability to spec my truck the way I want it....
-Keyless entry.....I hate fishing for my keys when I get to the door. Why So someone can easily access your vehicle with a simple range extender?
-Push button start.....again its a key thing Why So someone can easily access your vehicle with a simple range extender and start you truck and steal it?
-Homelink.....I don't like the stupid door opener hanging on the visor and I don't like the idea of modifying a $40K truck to install it. Homelink is about as new technology as a CD player in your truck. So many better options. Bluetooth, Wifi enabled, proximity detection with headlight flash garage door openers,
-Real Daylight LED running lights....why on earth they turn on the headlights with the LED's in there blows my mind. Be
-I would like to have the option to delete the Sliding Rear Window (I have an SLT)...I don't use it....I don't like the way it looks, and its easy for a thief to pop it open.

Since I'm 70 years old I'm very safety conscience.....would like to have these features...

-All LED lights period!
-Blind Side Warning

There's nothing else in the market that I would replace my Canyon with at this time....while the Ridgeline has all the features I want....its really not a truck and its downright ugly. I did look seriously for a few weeks, but I decided NO!

I'm just hoping that GM reads these forums and understands what people really want and will pay for as opposed to putting it out there with a take it or leave it. A truck costing $40K should have this stuff at least as an option. I really had high hopes for the Danali......but 20" wheels, steps, coated bed and a little bit better leather while still not having the options noted above doesn't justify the $4K cost difference for me.....I really want what I want!

At least my thought.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 06:05 PM

Garage
NOPE, you're just a hater. These trucks are perfect. They don't break, don't have issues, and don't need ANY improvements. ;) J/K. Sorry, but I had to go through that door you opened up wide.

Good little review. I know I love my truck just as much now as the day I drove it off the lot. I've never regretted buying my Colly for so much as a millisecond.

2015 Rally Yellow Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab (10k) "Colly"

MODS: 2016 Trail Boss sport bar and lights, Backing plates on sport bar for "Colorado" badge painted Rally Yellow, Westin brush guard with winch tray, Trailmaster 6000 lb winch, Rough Country light bar, Window tint
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:49 PM

Garage
I agree with the rear sliding window, there should have been a delete option, especially since the WT doesn't have one. I had one in my 2002 Nissan Frontier and in the 14 years I owned it, I might have opened it 4 times and I could reach it from the drivers seat.

As for keyless entry, I'm glad I don't have it. Especially the push button start. Sure it is nice to have and use, but I keep my vehicles 10-15 years and I'm thinking that these electronic components will fail and not only do I not want to pay the high cost to replace, I don't want to be left stranded. I even worry about the power windows and locks since this is my first truck with such amenities in the 25+ years I've owned a truck.

I'd also had liked to get a color matched exterior (instead of chrome) with a leather interior, but no option for that either.

Now if GM would offer a lifetime warranty like Ram, I'd be all over that

2017 GMC Canyon SLT V6 2WD Crew Cab Short Box
As a GM IT employee, the opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of General Motors.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:21 PM

Garage
I think my 2016 Colorado is pretty nearly perfect. I agree about the rear window, but I have the WT. Simpler is better, for me. A sliding window would just provide an opportunity for leaks, I think.

I haven't used the seat enough to notice any problem getting it adjusted, but I am not unusually tall (6'0").

I don't mind using a key, but I need to separate the remote transmitter from the key. I carry keys on a belt clip and the transmitter is awkward to carry there.

I was surprised to find the WT does not have an OnStar feature. I thought every GM vehicle had that. On the other hand, I like not having those buttons on the mirror. We have them on our Cruze and it's easy to accidently push one when adjusting the mirror.

I have a lifetime limited powertrain warranty. My dealer provides it at no extra charge. To keep it in force, you must retain all records to prove that the scheduled maintenance was done. I wonder how many people actually use this, because it only covers the original owner. I tend to keep vehicles a long time, but doubt I will be able to collect on this because of my age.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH1618 View Post
I think my 2016 Colorado is pretty nearly perfect. I agree about the rear window, but I have the WT. Simpler is better, for me. A sliding window would just provide an opportunity for leaks, I think.

I haven't used the seat enough to notice any problem getting it adjusted, but I am not unusually tall (6'0").

I don't mind using a key, but I need to separate the remote transmitter from the key. I carry keys on a belt clip and the transmitter is awkward to carry there.

I was surprised to find the WT does not have an OnStar feature. I thought every GM vehicle had that. On the other hand, I like not having those buttons on the mirror. We have them on our Cruze and it's easy to accidently push one when adjusting the mirror.

I have a lifetime limited powertrain warranty. My dealer provides it at no extra charge. To keep it in force, you must retain all records to prove that the scheduled maintenance was done. I wonder how many people actually use this, because it only covers the original owner. I tend to keep vehicles a long time, but doubt I will be able to collect on this because of my age.
You have a 2016? I have a WT with the convenience and appearance pkg and have a 5 yr Onstar plan with some other trials added in... wifi hotspot and something else. I'll have to dig out my paperwork to see if those were options or included in the base truck.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:

-Homelink.....I don't like the stupid door opener hanging on the visor and I don't like the idea of modifying a $40K truck to install it.
-Real Daylight LED running lights....why on earth they turn on the headlights with the LED's in there blows my mind.

-All LED lights period!
-Blind Side Warning

I agree with you 100%. Those are all of the items I wish my 2015 had. The only comment I have different is that my 2015 SLT does not have a rear sliding window.

Did they make the rear sliding window standard later in 2015 or in 2016?

Otherwise we think alike...I am 69 1/2.
Tractman likes this.

2015 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4, Onyx Black, Fold-a-Cover
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:57 AM

I just wish you could get the rear window defroster WITHOUT the sliding window.
Tractman and Two Door like this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Pro-Truck Sport RHA shocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo TruXport roll-up tonneau, Bull rings, SilverStar, Osram Zevo LED, Westin Pro Traxx steps, Fog Lights w/JDMastar LED, Rear LED pods, Husky Liner floor mats, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 11:37 PM

Good looking truck. I can't wait to pick mine up on 12/26. Been waiting a long time to get one! I agree with most of your comments. One thing I was really hoping for was adaptive cruise control. I never realized how nice it was until we bought a Hyundai 4 years ago that has it. It really makes the morning commute SO much nicer, except I don't get to use it since it's on the wife's car! I mean, you can get this on a Kia Sorrento for goodness sake, but NOT a maxed out Canyon SLT! That's a shame IMO!
Tractman likes this.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy519 View Post
You have a 2016? I have a WT with the convenience and appearance pkg and have a 5 yr Onstar plan with some other trials added in... wifi hotspot and something else. I'll have to dig out my paperwork to see if those were options or included in the base truck.
OnStar is available with the optional MyLink radio. I have the base radio. It isn't a part of either package, just an option, I think. Did you order yours or just buy it off the lot?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
I just wish you could get the rear window defroster WITHOUT the sliding window.
My 2015 Canyon SLT has a rear window defroster and no sliding window.

2015 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4, Onyx Black, Fold-a-Cover
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njacobsen View Post
Only way on Colorado is convenience package that adds slider.
Wish the convenience was like the Canyon. Would love to have the full, unobstructed view, out the back with the ability to defrost it.

Eibach Pro-Truck Sport RHA shocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo TruXport roll-up tonneau, Bull rings, SilverStar, Osram Zevo LED, Westin Pro Traxx steps, Fog Lights w/JDMastar LED, Rear LED pods, Husky Liner floor mats, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:32 AM

Maybe the Cadi version will grant your wish at a premium price. Let us face it, is a Chevy, a value brand, so as is, it comes with a boat load of features.

I think the OP is watching too many Mathew McConaughey Lincoln ads.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njacobsen View Post
Quote:
Only way on Colorado is convenience package that adds slider.
Wish the convenience was like the Canyon. Would love to have the full, unobstructed view, out the back with the ability to defrost it.
The sliding rear window was not available at release on the 2015s, became available as an option sometime in 2015. In 2016, someone at GM decided that on certain trim levels, everyone should want a manual sliding rear window.

One of those "upgrades" I am glad I missed out on.
njacobsen and Two Door like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up cover.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
The sliding rear window was not available at release on the 2015s, became available as an option sometime in 2015. In 2016, someone at GM decided that on certain trim levels, everyone should want a manual sliding rear window.

One of those "upgrades" I am glad I missed out on.
There's many things between the 15 and 16 that are hit or miss with me. I enjoy some of the things they changed but others wish they hadn't.

I did just check the build of a 16 Canyon and they show the rear defroster without slider on Canyon w/convenience.

Oh well, still a lot better than the forced trim levels of other makes *cough* Honda *cough*

My build thread
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
There's many things between the 15 and 16 that are hit or miss with me. I enjoy some of the things they changed but others wish they hadn't.

I did just check the build of a 16 Canyon and they show the rear defroster without slider on Canyon w/convenience.

Oh well, still a lot better than the forced trim levels of other makes *cough* Honda *cough*
Sorry about that coughing spell, but I agree with the comment.

One of the big upgrades to the Colorado on the 2016 over the 2015 was the color DIC with steering wheel controls on the LT/Z71 trims.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Sorry about that coughing spell, but I agree with the comment.

One of the big upgrades to the Colorado on the 2016 over the 2015 was the color DIC with steering wheel controls on the LT/Z71 trims.
Yes, that is one of the biggest things I'm glad they did change, along with AA capability.
Would like to have the auto4wd in the Colorado now like the 17 but oh well.

My build thread
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:06 PM
mmg

Garage
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

-All LED lights period!
-Blind Side Warning

Nice ride.....notice you have the bed rails. I have been thinking about adding the black ones from the 2017 Cheverolet accessory options.....just waiting for a few others to add them and post some pix before I take the plunge.
Tractman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode