Car and Driver: 2017 Chevrolet Colorado V-6 8-Speed Automatic 4x4 Crew Cab - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By BahamaTodd
  • 1 Post By Reverendbiker
  • 3 Post By Toughsox
  • 1 Post By GraniteBlue05

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car and Driver: 2017 Chevrolet Colorado V-6 8-Speed Automatic 4x4 Crew Cab

2017 Chevrolet Colorado V-6 8-Speed Automatic 4x4 Crew Cab Test ? Review ? Car and Driver
dennisg and Ben F like this.

2004 GMC Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4x4

Site Rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:26 PM

Wow. 6.1 second 0-60 is a heck of an improvement. I figured the new 8-speed would make the V-6 a little faster, but this is now a pretty quick truck.
Ben F likes this.

jack <><
2016 Colorado LT 4X4 CC/LB
Duramax
Summit White
Reverendbiker.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for giving Honda the incentive to put their new 10-speed in the Ridgeline sooner rather than later. If Honda's 10 speed does for the Ridgeline what the 9 speed does for the Pilot, the Ridgeline will be quicker than this Colorado. That said, I'm in the market for neither - just thought I'd make the point given the author seemed to want to compare with the current Ridgeline.
When I read that, the only thing that came to mind was 'but it will still be a Ridgeline"
CrashFix, dave66rivi and Two Door like this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:30 PM

I'm currently waiting 'til April/Mayish to buy a new pickup. Glad to see the new tranny is making the '17's sound much better after I missed out on all the '16 going away prices. Anyone know if there's another time of year besides Nov/Dec when Chevy discounts the Colorados more?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshaunallen View Post
I'm currently waiting 'til April/Mayish to buy a new pickup. Glad to see the new tranny is making the '17's sound much better after I missed out on all the '16 going away prices. Anyone know if there's another time of year besides Nov/Dec when Chevy discounts the Colorados more?
Well, rebates and incentives usually fall in NOV/DEC and around other big Holidays like July 4th. You can still get a good deal if you go to the right dealer, especially if you do not mind driving or flying one way to another state and do not have to deal with a trade in. Laura GMC ioutside St. Louis in Southern Illinois has good prices all the time because they sell a TON of trucks and always have a ton of inventory. You can expect $5000-$6000 off MSRP from them anytime.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:18 PM

Did I read the right? 2016 were rated for 20mpg combined and 2017 is 19mpg.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.irwin.583 View Post

Yeah, it's due to the new EPA testing. Real world, everyone is saying it's the same/slightly better from what I've read.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.irwin.583 View Post

Yep, they measure it another way now. Real World? I can tell you that I use my truck mostly to run around town as I work out of my house. My trips are short in length and average around 35 mph. I am getting around 19-20 doing this. Have not gone on an extended highway trip using cruise control, so cannot give you those numbers. I fully expect it will be between 24-26 doing that.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
Well, rebates and incentives usually fall in NOV/DEC and around other big Holidays like July 4th. You can still get a good deal if you go to the right dealer, especially if you do not mind driving or flying one way to another state and do not have to deal with a trade in. Laura GMC ioutside St. Louis in Southern Illinois has good prices all the time because they sell a TON of trucks and always have a ton of inventory. You can expect $5000-$6000 off MSRP from them anytime.

I agree. . . those are prime times to buy and Laura has very good pricing. However, finding one for myself with ONLY the options I want and not having to "buy" extras proves daunting and not cost effective for myself and many other buyers. Nevertheless, it pays to shop prices for a particular configuration no matter what time of the year.

What amazes me regarding buying a mid size Canyon or Colorado is the folks who continue to claim that you can buy a *COMPARABLE * equipped Full Size GMC or Chevy Truck for about the same price with rebates. That may be close on a base priced WT or similar, but even at Laura with a similar equipped full size SLE and $11,000 off sticker it still would be about $4,000 more than a comparably equipped Canyon SLE.
And, reviewers and Full Size advocates fail to include the higher cost of insurance and the space a full size uses in the average garage. Not to mention that real world MPG has always been better in my last two Colorados than even my brother hyper miling in his 2015 Ford F-150 3.5L V6 Econoboost. On the same trips of 330 miles on the same day, I best his MPG by +2 to +4 MPG . . . . and I do not "hyper mile", but drive with the flow of traffic and pass whenever I come upon slower moving vehicles.
BeastStarr68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode