GMC Canyon Denali Diesel Review - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By streak07

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

GMC Canyon Denali Diesel Review

Haven't seen anyone review one yet so here it is. I was initially looking at a SLT but found a good deal where it hardly cost anymore and it came with everything I wanted such as spray-in liner and upgraded sound system. This is also my first truck so some perceptions will be based upon that. It will be used to tow a track car around 6K lbs total but that won't happen for a few months, will be 4-8 times per year. When I move I will likely have it loaded to the gills. I move a lot due to being military. I probably have 4-6 moves left so I'm fully aware and content with the limitations towing at the limit for that few of times. We do a lot of trips and highway miles so the 30ish MPG the other 99% of the trucks life was far more important to me as the towing performance with just the car and tools meets my needs for track days.

'17 CCSB 4x4 Denali Diesel in Dark Slate Metallic

Pros:
- Handling is better than I thought it'd be. The steering is not over-boosted so it's neither too light or heavy, it's just right to me.
- The infotainment system is great but there's also a lot going on. I'm not big on tech in vehicles as I consider it a distraction but once I learned the system I think it's easy to use and well integrated with the 2 screens and wheel controls. Older folks might find it intimidating or never use it.
- The 8" touch screen looks great but fingerprints show pretty badly.
- Backup camera has good resolution to me. I've seen some people complain about that so maybe the 8" screen has better resolution and that's the limiting factor in the lower trim trucks.
- Heated steering wheel and ventilated seats are great, although I now have to threaten the wife to get a chance to drive it.
- The seats are comfortable to me, not sure if that has anything to do with the dual density foam. There is a lot of electric adjustability to them.
- If you use all the cup holders this vehicle has for soda your entire family will have diabetes, there's a lot.
- The dash is very nice with the contrast stitching and soft surfaces. Looks much higher end than the Colorado
- The spray-in bed coating is very nice and I think it's a deal for the quality of the job and how they don't seal up any of the access panels/plugs.
- The engine is great and has a ton of torque. The transmission shifts very well and I've not noticed any hesitation or hunting.
- The headlights to me were great on the highway.
- The lane departure warning is great but I will look to see if there's a way to turn down the tone volume. I've not "tested" the forward collision warning and hope not to.
- The ride and engine are both very quiet.
- Rear seat room is very good unless your whole family is over 6'. I'm a bit disappointed they don't fold up without the big frame underneath for dog transport. Will probably leave them in the SUV or get a dog hammock setup for the back.
- The multitude of charging ports is great, especially if you have kids that need to stay entertained.
- I averaged 27mpg with 80% highway over the first 600 miles. Pretty good for doing 80-85mph. In 55mph zones I was seeing 31mpg. I think that's great since this is the heaviest configuration possible with all the added tech and aside from short vs long bed.
- Filter life status is a nice feature. I wish the DEF system had more fidelity than "OK" for the majority of it's life though.
- The Bose radio is pretty good but I understand where some people say there's a lack of clarity with the highs. I've had good luck replacing the front speakers only with Bose systems when I match the resistance rating so I may do that but it's certainly not needed. It has enough thump for me as I don't need to rattle the windows.

Cons:
- The interior is "confused". There's burnished aluminum on the wheel and around the radio, 3 pieces of cheap fake wood trim in the front only (doors/shifter), and only black trim in the back. If they had used the burnished aluminum everywhere it'd be a lot nicer, I really like that part. For some reason my wife likes the wood trim but it may find it's way into a trash can one weekend when she's not home.
- The front of the lower seat cushion isn't leather which is obvious. I have leather on that spot in cheaper vehicles that don't claim to be top of the line.
- The seats are narrow but I have a narrow butt and doesn't bother me at all. People of significant girth will want a full size truck. There is no lateral support but I guess GM assumes you shouldn't need it in a truck. The truck has good enough handling that I think it needs more than it has.
- I already know the wireless charging pad area will never stay clean. Grippy rubber with tons of ridges.
- The underbed lighting is not adequate, if it had 2 more pods closer to the front it'd be fine.
- The brake pedal is nice and firm but I feel like it doesn't stop the truck without a lot more pressure than I'd expect it to take. I will likely look at a pad upgrade and I'll also be getting a trailer with dual axle brakes. Partly because I will be towing near the limits at times and also for a greater sense of security.
- The ride is fairly stiff with 20's and tire selection is limited. But they do look real nice.
- Fog lights are useless as far as added light, I may upgrade them at some point but I don't see it as needed due to the headlight throw pattern.
- The cooled exhaust tip on the diesel looks cheap as it's just aluminized steel from what I can tell.
- The nav system didn't know a number of roads existed that had been around for years. A common issue with every built-in nav system I've seen from an OEM.
- There is supposed to be spray-on sound deadener. I don't see anything other than a 6" strip on the area underneath the doors but I think that's for rock chips. The underside doesn't have any so where is it? On the inside?

So I know there's a equal amount of pros/cons but I truly am happy with the truck. Just trying to give unbiased first impressions on the truck overall as well as the Denali content. A lot of my cons are nit picks and not extreme dislikes. For the price I paid I think it was worth it over the SLT. If you can't find a deal or don't care for the creature comforts then you may disagree. I certainly wouldn't have paid close to MSRP for it. Suprisingly Chevy dealers didn't want to deal much at all except for EOY leftovers in colors I didn't want.

So far I've added a Truxedo Titanium hard rollup tonneau cover (excellent quality) and some Husky floor liners that will be showing up this weekend. I will see what mods, if any, I will need to do for towing. I think aside from a sway control WD hitch it shouldn't need much of anything. Hopefully the 20" tires will be ok towing a lot as they're really only SUV tires in that size. Since the tires are designed for heavy vehicles I'm hopeful the sidewall will be stiff enough as long as I avoid the eco low rolling resistance tires that try to be light.
BenDmax likes this.

Last edited by streak07; 02-09-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streak07 View Post
Haven't seen anyone review one yet so here it is. I was initially looking at a SLT but found a good deal where it hardly cost anymore and it came with everything I wanted such as spray-in liner and upgraded sound system. This is also my first truck so some perceptions will be based upon that. It will be used to tow a track car around 6K lbs total but that won't happen for a few months, will be 4-8 times per year. When I move I will likely have it loaded to the gills. I move a lot due to being military. I probably have 4-6 moves left so I'm fully aware and content with the limitations towing at the limit for that few of times. We do a lot of trips and highway miles so the 30ish MPG the other 99% of the trucks life was far more important to me as the towing performance with just the car and tools meets my needs for track days.

'17 CCSB 4x4 Denali Diesel in Dark Slate Metallic

Pros:
- Handling is better than I thought it'd be. The steering is not over-boosted so it's neither too light or heavy, it's just right to me.
- The infotainment system is great but there's also a lot going on. I'm not big on tech in vehicles as I consider it a distraction but once I learned the system I think it's easy to use and well integrated with the 2 screens and wheel controls. Older folks might find it intimidating or never use it.
- The 8" touch screen looks great but fingerprints show pretty badly.
- Backup camera has good resolution to me. I've seen some people complain about that so maybe the 8" screen has better resolution and that's the limiting factor in the lower trim trucks.
- Heated steering wheel and ventilated seats are great, although I now have to threaten the wife to get a chance to drive it.
- The seats are comfortable to me, not sure if that has anything to do with the dual density foam. There is a lot of electric adjustability to them.
- If you use all the cup holders this vehicle has for soda your entire family will have diabetes, there's a lot.
- The dash is very nice with the contrast stitching and soft surfaces. Looks much higher end than the Colorado
- The spray-in bed coating is very nice and I think it's a deal for the quality of the job and how they don't seal up any of the access panels/plugs.
- The engine is great and has a ton of torque. The transmission shifts very well and I've not noticed any hesitation or hunting.
- The headlights to me were great on the highway.
- The lane departure warning is great but I will look to see if there's a way to turn down the tone volume. I've not "tested" the forward collision warning and hope not to.
- The ride and engine are both very quiet.
- Rear seat room is very good unless your whole family is over 6'. I'm a bit disappointed they don't fold up without the big frame underneath for dog transport. Will probably leave them in the SUV or get a dog hammock setup for the back.
- The multitude of charging ports is great, especially if you have kids that need to stay entertained.
- I averaged 27mpg with 80% highway over the first 600 miles. Pretty good for doing 80-85mph. In 55mph zones I was seeing 31mpg. I think that's great since this is the heaviest configuration possible with all the added tech and aside from short vs long bed.
- Filter life status is a nice feature. I wish the DEF system had more fidelity than "OK" for the majority of it's life though.
- The Bose radio is pretty good but I understand where some people say there's a lack of clarity with the highs. I've had good luck replacing the front speakers only with Bose systems when I match the resistance rating so I may do that but it's certainly not needed. It has enough thump for me as I don't need to rattle the windows.

Cons:
- The interior is "confused". There's burnished aluminum on the wheel and around the radio, 3 pieces of cheap fake wood trim in the front only (doors/shifter), and only black trim in the back. If they had used the burnished aluminum everywhere it'd be a lot nicer, I really like that part. For some reason my wife likes the wood trim but it may find it's way into a trash can one weekend when she's not home.
- The front of the lower seat cushion isn't leather which is obvious. I have leather on that spot in cheaper vehicles that don't claim to be top of the line.
- The seats are narrow but I have a narrow butt and doesn't bother me at all. People of significant girth will want a full size truck. There is no lateral support but I guess GM assumes you shouldn't need it in a truck. The truck has good enough handling that I think it needs more than it has.
- I already know the wireless charging pad area will never stay clean. Grippy rubber with tons of ridges.
- The underbed lighting is not adequate, if it had 2 more pods closer to the front it'd be fine.
- The brake pedal is nice and firm but I feel like it doesn't stop the truck without a lot more pressure than I'd expect it to take. I will likely look at a pad upgrade and I'll also be getting a trailer with dual axle brakes. Partly because I will be towing near the limits at times and also for a greater sense of security.
- The ride is fairly stiff with 20's and tire selection is limited. But they do look real nice.
- Fog lights are useless as far as added light, I may upgrade them at some point but I don't see it as needed due to the headlight throw pattern.
- The cooled exhaust tip on the diesel looks cheap as it's just aluminized steel from what I can tell.
- The nav system didn't know a number of roads existed that had been around for years. A common issue with every built-in nav system I've seen from an OEM.
- There is supposed to be spray-on sound deadener. I don't see anything other than a 6" strip on the area underneath the doors but I think that's for rock chips. The underside doesn't have any so where is it? On the inside?

So I know there's a equal amount of pros/cons but I truly am happy with the truck. Just trying to give unbiased first impressions on the truck overall as well as the Denali content. A lot of my cons are nit picks and not extreme dislikes. For the price I paid I think it was worth it over the SLT. If you can't find a deal or don't care for the creature comforts then you may disagree. I certainly wouldn't have paid close to MSRP for it. Suprisingly Chevy dealers didn't want to deal much at all except for EOY leftovers in colors I didn't want.

So far I've added a Truxedo Titanium hard rollup tonneau cover (excellent quality) and some Husky floor liners that will be showing up this weekend. I will see what mods, if any, I will need to do for towing. I think aside from a sway control WD hitch it shouldn't need much of anything. Hopefully the 20" tires will be ok towing a lot as they're really only SUV tires in that size. Since the tires are designed for heavy vehicles I'm hopeful the sidewall will be stiff enough as long as I avoid the eco low rolling resistance tires that try to be light.

Great review, thanks!

I'm considering and will most likely get a Denali Duramax and it is reviews like yours that let me know I'm making the right choice for my needs and wants.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Glad it helped, I definitely like it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:32 AM

I picked up some packaged metal safety pins at a fabric store for my wife. I placed them inadvertently on the charging pad. On the way home I noticed the amber charging pad light on. No charge for that charge. Be careful out there!

zoz

2017 GMC Canyon Denali
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode