Caps - Page 16 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 185Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 324 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:01 AM

Mark: thanks for this info. A neighbour has the CX installed on his Taco and got the drop down front window. Unfortunately I'm looking at a big RTT and a kayak too so I need the extra weight loading; the drop down front window is not compatible with the aluminum HD frame so I'll have to find another way to clean the area. I'm interested to read that ARE gave you the 750lb stationary number; I contacted their customer service department directly and the response was vague. I'll be very interested to see your pics. I've also seen loads of pics of non HD canopies with RTTs but I'm looking at a 4 man and they weigh in at over 150lb then add the roof rack, then add half a 19' kayak, maybe another 25lb. All adds up!

Did you go with the bottom edge trim? I've seen the real deal up close and it looks fine but I think the lines of the truck look better without.

Rick 2016 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab, long bed
BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
Bushwacker pocket fender flares
Wilco Offroad Classic Hitchgate
ARE CX HD cap and HD cross bars
Rhino Rack Pioneer platform (49" x 76")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 324 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhr900ss View Post
Mark: thanks for this info. A neighbour has the CX installed on his Taco and got the drop down front window. Unfortunately I'm looking at a big RTT and a kayak too so I need the extra weight loading; the drop down front window is not compatible with the aluminum HD frame so I'll have to find another way to clean the area. I'm interested to read that ARE gave you the 750lb stationary number; I contacted their customer service department directly and the response was vague. I'll be very interested to see your pics. I've also seen loads of pics of non HD canopies with RTTs but I'm looking at a 4 man and they weigh in at over 150lb then add the roof rack, then add half a 19' kayak, maybe another 25lb. All adds up!

Did you go with the bottom edge trim? I've seen the real deal up close and it looks fine but I think the lines of the truck look better without.
Yeah I actually contacted them through social media and they got back to me right away and said all their caps were designed like that. As for the bottom, I got the trimless bottom edge because I thought it looked nicer. Also, I just found out that if you have the short bed ARE can't do the vented windoors on the sides because apparently there's not enough space so I just got the regular windoors and I'll build my own screens. Delivery should be in around 3 weeks so I'll post pics here when I get it installed.
post #303 of 324 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:50 AM

I ordered and had installed an ARE V series (about $1,350) with the sliding swing down front window and had Bullet Liner sprayed in at the same time for $350. I am very pleased with both. Paint match is good on the ARE cap and the bedliner install was clean and professional.

I thought about going with a higher ARE CX model, but this suits my purpose and looks good on my 2017 CCSB Cyber Gray. The CX model had a black headliner that I did not care for since it made it too dark inside. I was surprised that my V series came with a pretty smooth light painted head liner. Years ago, the insides were pretty rough fiberglass but very nice on this V series. It also has an interior LED light built in.

An interesting thing . . . I ordered the ARE cap about two weeks before my ordered out 2017 Colorado Crew Cab came in and they both arrived on the same day! But I had to wait a schedule an install appointment about 5 days later.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 04-19-2017 at 05:53 AM.

post #304 of 324 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:03 PM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
I ordered and had installed an ARE V series (about $1,350) with the sliding swing down front window and had Bullet Liner sprayed in at the same time for $350. I am very pleased with both. Paint match is good on the ARE cap and the bedliner install was clean and professional.

I thought about going with a higher ARE CX model, but this suits my purpose and looks good on my 2017 CCSB Cyber Gray. The CX model had a black headliner that I did not care for since it made it too dark inside. I was surprised that my V series came with a pretty smooth light painted head liner. Years ago, the insides were pretty rough fiberglass but very nice on this V series. It also has an interior LED light built in.

An interesting thing . . . I ordered the ARE cap about two weeks before my ordered out 2017 Colorado Crew Cab came in and they both arrived on the same day! But I had to wait a schedule an install appointment about 5 days later.
Any photos of the inside and outside?

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab
post #305 of 324 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Any photos of the inside and outside?
Photos of my 2017 Colorado LT with ARE V Series cap.
The cap has the inside Sliding and Swing Down Front Window, standard side windows with screens, and LED interior light.

The first interior picture is with just the inside LED light on and naturally lighted. The second interior picture is with the camera flash to see a bit more detail.
- - -The last picture shows the interior Finish and Color.

JBT likes this.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #306 of 324 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:53 PM

Neat!! Good luck with both the new truck and the new cap!
GraniteBlue05 likes this.

2016 Canyon SLE, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, Bose, Cocoa-Dune Cloth, Factory spray liner, Locking Rear Diff., DeeZee Rubber Bed Mat, WeatherTech No-Drill Mud Flaps, Iron-Cross SS Running Boards. Built April 27, 2016. Delivered May 16, 2016.
post #307 of 324 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:48 PM

Hi folks: I took the plunge yesterday and ordered the ARE CX HD; it will have the solid drivers side swing-up panel, a swing-up passenger side window with middle slider, a front fixed with middle slider (drop down not an option with HD frame) and the HD roof rack that is integral with the frame. It will also have a carpet liner.
The four risers to the roof rack bars connect directly to the HD aluminium frame through the top of the cap so the cap itself bears no load; good for 550lb on the move. It will take 4 to 5 weeks delivery; I'll post detailed pics once it's up top. It was not cheap; about CAN$3400 installed including taxes. I went with the solid drivers door because that's where my tools, compressor and other goodies are going to go; I'll build my own divider/tool storage arrangement.

Despite the multitude of picture of bigger roof top tents on a host of vehicles with a host of caps on the Internet, the feedback from cap suppliers was too vague for me to feel comfortable going without a higher, guaranteed load rating. I also spoke to several overland stores that specialize in RTTs; they too stated that fitting RTTs to SUVs, Landrovers, whatever with full factory roofs is never an issue but putting them on fibreglass canopies can be a compromise. One guy I talked to reminded me that a 200lb on-the-go rating for a cap can be pretty much divided by two when off road due to the extra bumps and that he had seen lots of cracked gel-coat on customers' truck caps.
JBT likes this.

BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires

Last edited by mhr900ss; 04-21-2017 at 11:42 AM.
post #308 of 324 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:30 PM
JBT

Garage
@mhr900ss , You have to post some pics when you get it. We get to see very few of those. Thanks
hjw likes this.

post #309 of 324 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:00 PM

Finally got my ARE CX cap installed today! I'm really happy with it overall. The build quality is excellent and the carpet liner matches my bedrug perfectly. Let me know if you guys have any questions about it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4431.jpg (213.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4433.jpg (249.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4435.jpg (201.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4437.jpg (227.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4439.jpg (274.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4440.JPG (899.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4442.JPG (691.5 KB, 94 views)
JBT and ernster500 like this.
post #310 of 324 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Raven View Post
I originally posted in the Cyber Grey thread but here's my ARE Overland.

How are you liking this? I just ordered the same cap last week. They are doing a cross between the MX with extra headroom and the overland for me. I ordered it with the three way sportsman windows, interior lighting with the auto switch, and roof rails.

Waiting is killing me. I had to order the extra height because of my dog kennels. Not usually a fan of the look of the extra height, but practicality outweighs wants sometimes.
post #311 of 324 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:18 AM

Garage
Softtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easmiles View Post
Hard to give a good review at this point. Have been doing MPG test though. Same stretch of road, cruise set at 65, .8 mpg better with top on and air dam removed. Install was simple. I have been making adjustments to it so the fit is a little better then the pics. Negative is the top sits about 1 inch above the back of the cap. With that said it is level with the middle of the cab. Shows how curved the cab is. I am building a rack to go over the top so I believe it will eliminate that visual bump. I love how easy it is to stow and that it stowes as one piece, where the besttop doesn't. No side windows doesn't really change visibility when driving. To be fair Imarket a fireman so drive with the mirrors primarily. I didn't love my hard top on a previous truck due to how hard it was to remove (no garage to lift to roof) I think I dig the look, now to see how it sleeps.
Where did you purchase your soft top, how much was it....
post #312 of 324 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacksChevy View Post
Where did you purchase your soft top, how much was it....
I do not think you will get a reply. The post you refer to is about 2 1/2 years old. . .. . and the member has not logged in here since June of last year.

But. . . . ya never know.
MacksChevy likes this.

post #313 of 324 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 09:46 PM

Here's my Leer 180CC (reinforced contractor version) with the Bedslide. Needed the extra height over the 100CC. As far as options, I went with lighting option E (2 interior LED's along the top of the side doors and 1 along back door), carpet, and the hitch plug T-harness (plug and play into the back of the 7 way connector).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck1.JPG (115.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Truck2.JPG (92.3 KB, 91 views)
JBT likes this.

Vince

2017 Canyon Duramax SLT 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed
Colorado Flares + WeatherTech Mudflaps
Leer 180CC + Bedslide 1000CL + 80/20 Custom Bike Carrier
post #314 of 324 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 09:56 PM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMan17 View Post
Here's my Leer 180CC (reinforced contractor version) with the Bedslide. Needed the extra height over the 100CC. As far as options, I went with lighting option E (2 interior LED's along the top of the side doors and 1 along back door), carpet, and the hitch plug T-harness (plug and play into the back of the 7 way connector).
Gotta like that. That's cool!
ClaysandBirds and JazzMan17 like this.

post #315 of 324 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 03:04 PM

Hi folks: a link to my review of the ARE CX HD cap. One of our moderators moved it and put it in a new accessories review section:

ARE CX HD Canopy review!

post #316 of 324 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 02:46 AM

It seems I'm entering a legal battle with ARE. They took my order with sportsman windows on the overland cap, but sent the cap with standard windows. When brought up to them, they said they couldn't do the sportsman window and just went with the regular ones without confirming this decision.

Since I have dogs in the back I need the sportsman windows with the screens for ventilation.

Given how this has gone for the past week, I will never buy another ARE truck cap again. Complete shit show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #317 of 324 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaysandBirds View Post
It seems I'm entering a legal battle with ARE. They took my order with sportsman windows on the overland cap, but sent the cap with standard windows. When brought up to them, they said they couldn't do the sportsman window and just went with the regular ones without confirming this decision.

Since I have dogs in the back I need the sportsman windows with the screens for ventilation.

Given how this has gone for the past week, I will never buy another ARE truck cap again. Complete shit show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm curious, why's it gotta get legal? They wont take it back and credit you to another model?

2016 Brownstone Duramax Z71 View My Build

N00bs click here for free help

PS: All my posted photos are dead because PhotoBucket sucks. If you need a pic restored PM me a link to the post and Ill fix it.
post #318 of 324 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
I'm curious, why's it gotta get legal? They wont take it back and credit you to another model?

My dealer will, but I know it isn't completely their fault and I feel bad sticking them with it. The story is they ordered my cap as a one off. No one ever ordered a MX series with the overland spray. The order was done from my dealer over the phone with ARE. When ARE was taking the order over the phone they never said the three way sportsman windows wouldn't work.

The dealer didn't notice on the final confirmation email with ARE that the windows had been changed. ARE is taking the stance it is my dealers fault. My dealer said they will do whatever they have to in order to fix it with me. So now my dealer is calling Leer to see if they have a window that will fit.

If I decide to go with a different cap, my dealer will be stuck eating it and have willingly offered to get stuck with it to make me happy. I feel bad for my dealer because it doesn't seem to be their fault. It is pretty scummy from ARE's side.
post #319 of 324 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewams View Post
Finally got it.

A.R.E. MX series with the "Wounded Warrior" matte black finish that they put on their Wounded Warrior promo truck. It's more of a satin finish than expected, but I'm happy with how the luster fits in with the Cyber Gray. It's got a little more sheen to it than a proper matte black would have. Definitely taller than what I'm used to, but holy cow is it nice to be able to sit down in the back without worrying about my head hitting the roof. I took an internal measurement by holding the end of the tape measure to the roof and letting gravity straighten out the tape until the measure was resting on the truck bed - with a stock painted bed this came out to 45" from the center.

I measured the height by laying a flat piece of steel across the rack rails and dangling the tape measure all the way to the ground - from the ground to the top of the rack rails measured 76" high.

After previously owning (& camping in) an A.R.E. CX Series with no frills on my S-10, I have to say my favorite features in order are carpeted roof, the dual dome LED lights option, and the extra headroom. You only have to brush your skin against the bare fiberglass one time to realize how much it sucks.

Hope the first-hand info is helpful. Looking forward to seeing the topper options from other folks.

Is that a short bed? It looks like you have three way windows.
post #320 of 324 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaysandBirds View Post
My dealer will, but I know it isn't completely their fault and I feel bad sticking them with it. The story is they ordered my cap as a one off. No one ever ordered a MX series with the overland spray. The order was done from my dealer over the phone with ARE. When ARE was taking the order over the phone they never said the three way sportsman windows wouldn't work.

The dealer didn't notice on the final confirmation email with ARE that the windows had been changed. ARE is taking the stance it is my dealers fault. My dealer said they will do whatever they have to in order to fix it with me. So now my dealer is calling Leer to see if they have a window that will fit.

If I decide to go with a different cap, my dealer will be stuck eating it and have willingly offered to get stuck with it to make me happy. I feel bad for my dealer because it doesn't seem to be their fault. It is pretty scummy from ARE's side.
I feel for ya but your dealer should be able to resell. They have the customer base to market it so I personally wouldn't feel bad letting them sit with it. Someone out there will want it as is. Afterall it's not a loss for them just a delay like any of their other "stocked" items.

Anyway good luck with your ordeal

2016 Brownstone Duramax Z71 View My Build

N00bs click here for free help

PS: All my posted photos are dead because PhotoBucket sucks. If you need a pic restored PM me a link to the post and Ill fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode