Caps - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 185Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Caps

Is anyone considering a cap for their new Colorado. I contacted A.R.E. and they said that they are finalizing their design and should be available very soon. Pros and Cons? Do they improve gas mileage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 03:41 PM

I read a while back that they actually cost you some m.p.g., the only thing that improved fuel economy was the tonneau cover. Surprisingly, they said that having the tailgate down was worse than up, and the mesh tailgate nets were even worse. I have a fiberglass cap on my truck and I still get good mileage, but I guess I'd get slightly better without it. I like it because I can keep tools in the back and they are safe from rain and wandering hands. I got the side windows that hinge up and I can reach in and get to whatever is in there. To remove it is a bit of a pain, by myself it takes about 30 minutes (much easier with two people). Once off, the truck feels more peppy (I've got the four squirrels inline). The cab is also brighter with light coming from behind when it's off. The installers also drilled holes to bolt it on, don't know if that is the norm, but I wasn't happy about that (although it has never come off, but I have seen truck caps by the side of the highway so maybe some aren't bolted on).
post #3 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 03:49 PM

Probably don't do much for mileage but I think they look nice. For me they are a no go, I had one on my work truck, 2000 dodge so I am familiar with them. For me they are too limiting. They are difficult to remove and there are times indeed to haul my dual-sport mc in the box. I can remove my BACFlip F1 easily myself or fold it up for most larger items like the grandsons CRF 50's.

Cheers,

Jim

post #4 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 05:06 PM

I don't really like having one that much, but I need the secure storage so I'll probably get one. Thought about getting an aluminum one so I could take it off easier when I didn't need it, but that's kind of a pain so I'll probably get a fiberglass one and just leave it on. Either an ARE or LEER--have dealers for both nearby.
post #5 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 06:58 PM

Leer has caps available already, but I can't get a picture from anyone yet. I talked to Snug top, and they should be available soon too. I really like the look of them normally.

If anyone else finds pictures, please post them.
post #6 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:30 PM
CFI

You will be very happy with the quality of a Leer cap, but it will not improve mpg.
post #7 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:33 PM

Had one on my 82 S10 with the sliding rear window. While it was nice to be able to put stuff in there to stay out of the rain, it was a pain for rear visibility, snow would pack between the cab and top and a few other annoyances.
Mine was also bolted down, which I wasn't real happy about until I watched one blow off a truck on I96 on a very windy day. Not sure the guy even noticed it flew off as he didn't stop.
Not sure it would have been worth stopping for as it looked like it may have cracked rather badly on landing as it was twisting pretty good in mid air before hitting the median.
Going with a locking tonneau for my Canyon.
post #8 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:49 PM

Opps my mistake, I didn't know you were referring to what I always called a camper shell....sorry
post #9 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorf View Post
Had one on my 82 S10 with the sliding rear window. While it was nice to be able to put stuff in there to stay out of the rain, it was a pain for rear visibility, snow would pack between the cab and top and a few other annoyances...
Yeah, I'm hoping the rear view camera will help with the visibility thing. That's one of my main beefs with the topper on my current truck. And the rear window gets gunked up so you can't see through it. It'd be nice if you could get a factory installed one that was wired for a defroster, and with a washer and wiper like a wagon or SUV rear window. But I load up the back of my truck for travel-bikes and camping gear and such, and I need the secure cargo space and coverageof a cap so I'll have one on my new truck in spite of it's limitations...

...it's either that or a van, and I like these trucks better!
post #10 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 10:33 PM

I have a thread going in the appearance and body sections covering this topic is well. You guys might want to check that one out.

Current: 2009 Canyon CC I5. 180K miles. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
ORDERED: 2018 Canyon Denali Diesel 4x4 CCLB
post #11 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
I have a thread going in the appearance and body sections covering this topic is well. You guys might want to check that one out.
Read that one a while ago. Interesting fold away camper shell, but still not something I want or need. For those who don't click "forum" up top.
http://coloradofans.com/forums/169-a...sted-here.html
post #12 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to DuckFarmer
Caps don't really affect mpgs. If anything, they offer a very slight improvement, but nothing drastic.

Andy

2015 GMC Canyon Crew Cab Long Box All Terrain 4x4
3.6 V6 | Onyx Black | Leer truck cap | 2" leveling kit | 265/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3 all terrains | Anzo LED black tail lights |

Old truck (RIP)
2007 GMC Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 4x4
3.7L I5 Auto | Summit White | A.R.E. truck cap | Westin running boards | Air Lift adjustable air springs | General Grabber AT2 All Terrains |
post #13 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 04:49 PM

Well, I did a quick search and passed over all the sites where the cap/cover dealers forecast improved fuel economy to find this:
Pickup Truck Tailgates | Fuel Economy - Consumer Reports News

In a nutshell, it says their testing shows that for maximum fuel economy you're better off without a tonneau. This test did not include a camper top.
post #14 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 05:00 PM

Garage
Well we all know the test is BS, it was on a Dodge Ram.
post #15 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 04:02 PM

Mythbusters did a pretty good test of tailgate up vs down and found that up is better. this has been confirmed by a number of other non-believers also.

Anecdotally, my friend saw a 1mpg improvement by adding a Snug High Rise to his HD. Then he lifted the $hit out of it and killed his MPG..
post #16 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 05:21 PM

Here is mine with a softtopper on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1417040427875.jpg (108.9 KB, 672 views)
post #17 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easmiles View Post
Here is mine with a softtopper on it
More pics and your thoughts please. Thanks.

Current: 2009 Canyon CC I5. 180K miles. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
ORDERED: 2018 Canyon Denali Diesel 4x4 CCLB
post #18 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 08:43 PM

Hard to give a good review at this point. Have been doing MPG test though. Same stretch of road, cruise set at 65, .8 mpg better with top on and air dam removed. Install was simple. I have been making adjustments to it so the fit is a little better then the pics. Negative is the top sits about 1 inch above the back of the cap. With that said it is level with the middle of the cab. Shows how curved the cab is. I am building a rack to go over the top so I believe it will eliminate that visual bump. I love how easy it is to stow and that it stowes as one piece, where the besttop doesn't. No side windows doesn't really change visibility when driving. To be fair Imarket a fireman so drive with the mirrors primarily. I didn't love my hard top on a previous truck due to how hard it was to remove (no garage to lift to roof) I think I dig the look, now to see how it sleeps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1417051774840.jpg (103.3 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg image_1417051815842.jpg (97.3 KB, 531 views)
americanslang likes this.
post #19 of 324 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 08:57 PM

I HAD GLASSTITE CAPS ON TWO OF MY TRUCKS. BEST LOOKING CAPS AT THE TIME.
Sorry, had the caps lock on.
post #20 of 324 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 12:54 AM

Garage
I have pictures of the leer 100R on my LT. long bed. Just look at my pics. Don't know how to post a pic to conversation yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode