Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installed Light Bar In Bumper

124K views 216 replies 85 participants last post by  ARCowboy 
#1 · (Edited)
Just installed a 32 inch light bar in the front bumper (stole the idea from BDS Colorado ill admit it!) But I put mine behind the front plastic column things instead of flush with the bumper. Its a tight fit but think it looks awesome. Unfortunately took us 4 hours total and we didn't even get to the wiring due to trial and error, welding, broken drill bits, etc. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions ill do my best to answer

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I would've loved to see a "how to" for this. Too many people here in VA drive with thier high beams blinding everyone. If they're coming from behind, I love slowing down to let them pass and then tailgating with my high beams blinding them... it might be the "dickish/immature" thing to do, but it annoys the **** out of me.

#5 ·
@unlimitedmatt - yea I thought it would be like a 2-3 hour job with everything and could see it that night, but took way longer, but should be quite nice next time because im installing 6k hid bulbs for headlights and fog lights so will see them all at once. And I don't think it should be too bad, check out my new photo I put up with where it is installed without the bumper on, that's what makes me think it wont be an issue

@USA - im sure I would miss a few things cause it was 4 hours but if people want a write up ill do my best!

@iceman - will def post pictures when I have it all wired up, could be a couple weeks unfortunately due to a currently busy schedule

#6 ·
I would pay someone to do that to mine. I am a light junky, but hate them hanging off the front of the truck. I also don't like taking brand new trucks apart. Please post a ton of completed pics, I love it!
I am also wondering about the cooling aspect as I tow a bit in the Summer.

#10 ·
I would pay someone to do that to mine. I am a light junky, but hate them hanging off the front of the truck. I also don't like taking brand new trucks apart. Please post a ton of completed pics, I love it!
I am also wondering about the cooling aspect as I tow a bit in the Summer.
Yea I def was worried about taking apart the whole front bumper, but after I did it was just like 25-30 screws underneath, on top and in the tire frame, as well as a clip on each side near the middle and 2 bolts through the grill where the light bar goes. after that it pops right out and fit right back in but was a little snug with the light bar. i wouldn't be worried if you really wanted to do it yourself, its just time consuming. and yea i have no idea about cooling, im going to ask BDS what they think and ill post what they say

#20 ·
Seems like it might cause glare problems for oncoming vehicles unless it's not very bright? If more light is the objective wouldn't better head lights be better? Sorry I don't see a practical reason for this either. If it's just to add more lights for esthetics I can maybe see that....personal preference and all. We want pictures when it's done!

#41 ·
I will be adding mine specifically for off-roading. You would be surprised how dark it can get especially if you get into a bit of hot water out there in the middle of the night. Nothing like being able to drive back down a trail and be able to see everything.

Also for camping these are great being able to light up the camp site if you need to find something or hey who knows if you get into the camp site late and you dont want to set up your tent in the dark, throw your lightbar on. It'll put out way more lumens then your headlights will.

#22 ·
Yeah, you guys really missed the point.
Technically, most lights like the one installed are illegal and will have a warning saying off road use only (just like the old school big round KC lights did). You should not be running these on paved roads unless you are way out in the country with no chance of coming around a curve and blinding a driver and causing a crash.

I drive through a deserted State Park at night while locking up for the evening, and spend every min. wishing I had a light bar like this. I also have to patrol the beach and high beams do nothing, you can't see 20 feet in front of you. There have been many times trying to do a search for a missing person on the beach and normal headlights are useless. I have to drive with a 5million candle power spotlight hanging out the window, especially when the fog rolls in and there is salt spray.

#29 ·
#32 ·
EVERYONE, HE WILL POST PICS WHEN HE CAN. If you read, he said he has a busy schedule. Do you not think he wants to turn it on too?! I dont know about y'all, but Id be super excited to show this off. When I put some Rigid lights on my Jeep, my facebook was filled with pics of the install and usage.

Thank you for posting Willy. I've been wanting to do the same thing when I get mine, utilizing the same place. I just wasnt sure how big of a bar would fit. Do you believe a straight 20-30" would work in there? I know yours is curved, I cant justify the extra expense. I have RigidIndustries lights currently and love them. They are pricy, but to me, its worth it.

#45 ·
Hmm I honestly dont think it would work being a straight fit unless you did a much smaller like a 20, but dont quote me on that. Thats just from my experience with my 32 curved light bar it was a reaaaalllly tight fit to put my bumper back on, having to cut out the styrofoam block and even still i cringed when pushing it on. But it did all fit in the end and i was comfortable with it and have been since i installed it.

#35 ·
Hahahah, I saved a pic of that BDS Colorado to reference the light bar as well when I pick one up lol m

Looks great man, definitely gonna bookmark this so I can check back for your thoughts on it. I've had the eBay light bars bookmarked, just been too busy with other crap to place an order for em still lol

#36 ·
Stopped by a GMC Dealer and they sold most of the Canyons they had except this Canyon AT CrewCab with bigger wheels. My wife pointed out the 2 led bars mounted in the grill bars. I was trying to get a good look on how they mounted them but they were close to closing so will pass by there after work Monday. It looked so good installed you'd think it was done straight from the factory and they didn't block the grill shutters at all.

Attachments

#37 ·
That's a cool install. I like that.

#38 ·
When I stop by there I will see if they could turn them on. When I was looking in the cab I didn't see the switch for them but then again I was probably to busy listening to my wife say how much she liked the AT seats and stitching throughout the interior. She and the salesman wanted me to place my order right then but I would like to wait on a few more added features and possibly summit white added to the AT color choices. I must say that as nice as the salesman was he had no clue on the Canyon features etc. Which drove me crazy and my wife even gave him the are u serious look lol. He argued about towing limits, no diesel option coming and integrated brake controller. I advised him to do a bit more homework and told him to stop by the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.