Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installed Light Bar In Bumper

124K views 216 replies 85 participants last post by  ARCowboy 
#1 · (Edited)
Just installed a 32 inch light bar in the front bumper (stole the idea from BDS Colorado ill admit it!) But I put mine behind the front plastic column things instead of flush with the bumper. Its a tight fit but think it looks awesome. Unfortunately took us 4 hours total and we didn't even get to the wiring due to trial and error, welding, broken drill bits, etc. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions ill do my best to answer

Attachments

See less See more
#80 · (Edited)

The bar still needs to be adjusted.

#82 ·
Thanks.

#84 · (Edited)
Just got my light bar installed! I used the Rough Country light mounts, with this mictuning curved light bar. The fit was nearly perfect. I had to push on the RC mounts a little bit to get the light bar to fit, but it wasn't a large amount of effort to get it to fit. Here's some pics of the install.

EDIT: no longer using the MicTuning bar, now using a TuffStuff 30" bar. See

Attachments

#86 ·
Just got my light bar installed! I used the Rough Country light mounts, with this mictuning curved light bar. The fit was nearly perfect. I had to push on the RC mounts a little bit to get the light bar to fit, but it wasn't a large amount of effort to get it to fit. Here's some pics of the install.
Did you put the bar in front of the grill or did you cut out the grill?

#85 ·
Looks good.

#89 ·
Yep, it's removable. Just remove the two console knee panels, then the panel for the heat warmers, and there will be two hex screws holding that panel at the top. I removed it and used my dremel to cut a hole for that switch.

#92 ·
I found step bits work good on plastic.

Reactions: Krystof
#93 · (Edited)
Have any of you had any cooling issues, not sure if you live in an area where it gets hot.

The reason I ask is I have a Canyon and it has kinda the same grill setup, one big grill and lower opening where you placed your light bar. Last weekend I was in a desert city in California where it was 110, the Canyon has grill shutters and they where open but noticed most of the air was being sucked into radiator thru lower opening where your light bar is. The fan was running hard because of the outside temp and I has A/C running.

I plan to install a LED bar too but not sure where yet.

Attachments

#94 ·
South Texas, single row LED and no issue.

#98 ·
No problem! Here's some photos of the TuffStuff led bar. Obviously since it's not a curved bar it doesn't follow the bumper lines like the MicTuning did, but to me that's ok considering the extra light output it has.

Attachments

#99 ·
You guys with the dual rows have me thinking I should have gone that way. :(

Reactions: TexazReece
#119 ·
They put out way too much light for most highway driving. I only can use mine when there are no other cars on the road during the weee hours of the night. Great for off roading (and legal).
I do love the fit and appearance of the curved bar, however.

#101 ·
Agreed, it remains to be seen the durability of the Tuffstuff bar, but honestly I had the same concerns about the mictuning bar. And at $40 I'll be happy if it lasts at least two years.

#103 ·
#105 ·
There are no shutters behind the area where the light goes.

#108 ·
does anyone know if you plan to cut out the fins (Colorado) is it necessary to remove the bumper? I too bought a curved 30" bar and plan to install it real soon.

Thanks,

Bill

Pretty sure if it's a double you cannot get it in there or mount it securely without taking the bumper off.

#111 ·
Mine is wired into highs. So anytime I run highs.

Reactions: jeter33 and lusid
#121 ·
I like this mod, I think extra light really helps when is needed. My only concern is cooling, I have read that most of you have had no adverse cooling issues, but has anyone verified this while towing a heavy load? If not I think before I install this light I will cover this air intake area and tow my boat for a bit just to verify then engine stays cold. Also mine will be D-Max so who know what its cooling needs will be.

#124 ·
I am looking at where I would ground my lighter, there is a "GND" bolt on the drivers side of the engine compartment, but my HID lights are grounded there- can I grind the HID and the light bar there? Or do I need to ground them on separate things?

Sorry for the stupid question I am not much of an electrician

#130 ·
Mines not mounted actually. It's just sitting on the little plastic area piece there.

When I put the front fascia back on, the foam pad actually helps hold the light bar area in place. The only issue I have is it occasionally slides a little left or right.

#132 ·
Blue - Thanks for the info. That makes perfect sense as I swear I saw a picture of your light bar and I thought it was not centered. Lol.

Fleeb - Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the Rough Country bracket last night but I am thinking I will modify it so I can mount my light bar behind the fins.

I'm not positive but it looks like the op removed the plastic air dam completely to fit his light behind the fins.

#138 ·
My question is how do you get the front two bolts out to take off the fascia after you replace it?

One day I will have to cross this bridge...

I assume the one behind the light bar. You unbolt the light bar and remove it before removing the bumper. And put the bumper back on before bolting the light.

#140 ·
Did you mount your bar to anything or is the foam just holding it in there? I am asking because I have the Rough Country mounts but tomorrow I am installing the Rough Country 3.25" lift and they said their mounts won't work with the lift. I would feel better if it was mounted to something in there but I know others have them just being held in by the fascia and I haven't read any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.