Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Black Out Front Grille

9K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Blue15ColoradoLT 
#1 ·
Has anyone painted their chrome front grille to look like the factory Z71 grille? I like the look and would like to know if anyone has done this and the process you used.

#2 ·
quickest, easiest, cheapest way would most likely be to Plasti-dip it. do an internet search on Plasti-dip. Very easy to work with, could probably do the whole grill with 2 cans [if even that much].

#3 ·
It is relatively simple to remove. While I haven't done it on the Colorado, repainting plastic trim is pretty straight forward. As with any paint, prep is key.

Pull it off, knock the shine off with a medium grit sanding, wipe down to remove dust/oils, paint with desired color and a plasticizing (flex) agent.

As another option, have you looked into pricing of the Z71 grill?

#4 ·
... agent.

As another option, have you looked into pricing of the Z71 grill?
I think I would go this route. Probably a lot more expensive, but less labor intensive.

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
I would just use good paint rather than plastidip. The grill will see a lot of road abuse. It would probably only run you abut $100 to take the grill off the truck and take it to a decent body shop to be sprayed in the color of your choice, gunmetal like the Z71 or black, etc. That way, they put a good matte clear on as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.