Name One feature about your truck you didn't know about - Page 28 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 671Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #541 of 805 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 11:28 AM
PAR

Garage
You know that rubber, non-skid cup holder liner? It pops out for easy cleaning! I just discovered this the other day after having the truck a full year!
sagbay and plym67cuda like this.

2015 Colorado CC/SB LT 2WD 3.6L V6
Cyber Gray/Jet Black
Convenience Pkg
18" Wheels
Tow Pkg/Locking Diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 805 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 02:01 PM

Good afternoon,
I can understand how this intermittent concern with your USB port can be frustrating, and would like to offer my assistance. If you do choose to work with your dealership, I would be more than happy to offer any additional support. Please private message me with more details if this is something that interests you.
Have a great day,
Julianne M.
GM Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by plym67cuda View Post
Tried to use arm rest port and encountered the same condition (unrecognized at re-start but fine when a physical removal/re-insertion took place). Will need to ask my dealership about this. The flash drive I am using is a few years old, so I am now wondering if I used a more up to date drive if the problem would go away. I don't know enough about these devices to understand if that is a reasonable supposition or just a totally irrelevant idea, but it cant hurt to try it out :)

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Chevrolet.com and My.GMC.com

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
post #543 of 805 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 02:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I somewhat understand you on the filename issue, but it worked for a year and suddenly it no longer works.

As far as the ports, I have had someone plug an iphone into rear charger and suddenly their new age music was being broadcast out my speakers.

(New Age Music: Anything that came out since the year 2000.)
Fat / Fat32 file system? Removed before door was opened and was still playing? Remember pulling the power from a running Windows 95/98 PC?

post #544 of 805 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcrazy View Post
Removed before door was opened and was still playing? Remember pulling the power from a running Windows 95/98 PC?
The system runs on a Linux kernel. Filesystem interaction is extremely fault tolerant and a file system disappearing has no negative effect on the kernel. The actual media player application could panic though if it isn't written well.

The only danger is that you could cause some file system corruption on a non-journaling file system (like FAT) IF you are writing to the filesystem when it is removed. I see no reason why the system should be writing to the stick, though.
post #545 of 805 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
Good afternoon,
I can understand how this intermittent concern with your USB port can be frustrating, and would like to offer my assistance. If you do choose to work with your dealership, I would be more than happy to offer any additional support. Please private message me with more details if this is something that interests you.
Have a great day,
Julianne M.
GM Customer Care
Thanks Julianne! I really appreciate the outreach. PM sent.

Andres

CCLB 2WD Colorado Owner
post #546 of 805 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcrazy View Post
Fat / Fat32 file system? Removed before door was opened and was still playing? Remember pulling the power from a running Windows 95/98 PC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRado View Post
The system runs on a Linux kernel. Filesystem interaction is extremely fault tolerant and a file system disappearing has no negative effect on the kernel. The actual media player application could panic though if it isn't written well.

The only danger is that you could cause some file system corruption on a non-journaling file system (like FAT) IF you are writing to the filesystem when it is removed. I see no reason why the system should be writing to the stick, though.
I think I have only pulled the flash drive out twice since I first put it in the truck. Keep saying I am going to pull it and add some more tunes, but life gets in the way.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #547 of 805 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 09:00 PM

Deleted Feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by plym67cuda View Post
I've been a long time CD player guy and since our new trucks no longer come with CD players I am learning the ins and outs of loading files onto a flash drive and playing my music through a USB port. I have a question about something I am experiencing - not sure its a feature, a setting, or just me (smile).

I start the truck and plug my flash drive into the USB port (the one in the console floor in front of the gear shift knob, not the one inside of the arm rest console). I hit the media icon and am able to navigate and play my music successfully. When I come to a stop, I turn off the truck - with the flash drive still in the USB. Next time I start the truck the flash drive is still in the USB port, however the truck doesn't recognize the drive. I have to physically remove the drive from the USB port, wait a second or two, then plug it in again. Once I do it recognizes it just fine and even picks-up in mid-song exactly where I left off when I turned the truck off last time.

So is this a design feature which purposely doesn't recognize the device already plugged in on a cold start? Is it a potential malfunction? Is there a configuration setting I can adjust to allow its immediate recognition? is it a PICNIC error ("problem in customer, not in car")? Thoughts?

After a few trips to the dealership I have more info to pass on. They installed a software update to the MyLink system and reset everything.

The good news = the USB ports now work properly. They also determined the flash drive version I was using (2.0) was not 100% compatible with MyLink which compounded the problem. When I upgraded to a 3.0 version flash drive everything worked perfectly - exactly as everyone here has been advising me it should work. So that problem is now solved.

The bad news = the software update deleted a feature previously available on MyLink. The ability to choose between auto or manual mode for the dashboard dimming feature is now gone. This is where the dashboard ambient light sensor housed in the small globe in the center of the dashboard detects light levels and shifts the NAV display and dash gauges back and forth between day and night mode depending on how much ambient light it detects. On page 141 of the owners manual you will see a menu option for selecting between auto/manual and day/night options for this feature. It was present on my truck when I got it (as I have used it before). This was deleted (confirmed by the tech) in the latest software upgrade. This causes me a problem b/c the sensor is poorly calibrated for the ambient light level threshold and its not adjustable. The dealership confirmed the sensor thresholds are set to spec, so its not a part failure its a design spec problem. I find it takes too long to shift into day mode in the morning (needs a lot of light) and shifts into night mode too early in the evening. Some of my job sites are east of my location so when I drive into the early morning sun and coming home in the evening, the sun is low on the horizon which means I need to use my sunglasses. However the globe sensor is pointed towards the interior of the truck and doesn't detect enough ambient light to meet the threshold for day mode - so all the display are in darker night mode. Trying to read Nav or dash gauges in night mode while wearing sunglasses isn't workable. Since I can no longer toggle the day/night setting it leaves me without a workable option. I asked the dealership to restore the previous software version and they said they couldn't. So I have asked them to contact GM and ask for re-instatement of the deleted feature in the next software version. My tech is trying to make that happen - he also passed on my contact info to them. We'll see if he is successful.

Andres

CCLB 2WD Colorado Owner
post #548 of 805 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 09:35 PM

@plym67cuda You are absolutely right about the sensor. It's my biggest gripe. Although, having to go into the menu to set it is a PITA, and my second biggest gripe. Also, the sensor works off UV light, not ambient light, a big mistake on GM's part. Haven't you noticed on a cloudy day, or in light to moderate rain, the screen will remain bright even though the ambient light is low, yet dim if you go into areas (for a long enough period) that would be normally be in shadow that time of day.? It depends on cloud conditions as an overcast sky tends to disperse the UV fairly uniformly so the sensor detects it.

'16 Z71 EC
GMPP Exhaust - K&N (Stock CAI) - Hypertech 89 Octane Tune
Hellwig Anti Sway Bar - Rear

Morimoto HID conversion 5500K
Morimoto LED Projector Fog Lights 5500K
GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights
Canyon (soft) black center arm rest
Canyon Dark Bronze Aluminum Radio Bezel
Browneye's Rear Seat Shelf

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!
post #549 of 805 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 10:24 PM

Garage
I'm still trying to figure out where the tow/haul mode button is.
ON the HDs obviously it was on the end of the gear-shift lever/stalk, but since ours are console mounted, and the buttons to engage the shifter and manual shift take up the available spots, there's no opportunity to mount it there.
I found the exhaust(jake) brake switch(not saying it was hard to do), but so far no tow/haul. I guess I could always look in the manual

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #550 of 805 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 10:32 PM

@yokev... on the diesel the tow/haul mode and exhaust brake are both activated with the same switch. When one is on, so is the other.

If you look a the switch is shows both a trailer and the exhaust icon. When it is on, a trailer icon appears on the tachometer.
post #551 of 805 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 10:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
@yokev... on the diesel the tow/haul mode and exhaust brake are both activated with the same switch. When one is on, so is the other.

If you look a the switch is shows both a trailer and the exhaust icon. When it is on, a trailer icon appears on the tachometer.
Thanks man.
You know what's weird...how the thing back-shifts like crazy when you're going downhill(when I've picked up the throttle, the thing's reved out to 4k before shifting, which is nutzy coo-koo on a dessel if you ask me)., I was always told that 'brake pads are cheaper than trans parts', so I've gotten into the habit of putting the thing in neutral when coasting downhill.
Mind you, I'm pushing 50, thus learned how to drive in the early-mid '80s. Maybe brake pads have become more expensive than trans parts
wachuko likes this.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #552 of 805 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:58 PM

Don't waste the brake pads. The system is designed for it. Remember that the transmission is designed to take FAR more revs than that behind a V6 in a Camaro while under acceleration load. Also, there is not much torque being exerted on it either during decel.

Guys also freak out about the engine hitting 4k RPM. This isn't some big V8 guys! The actual torque being applied to the pistons and rods is quite small during engine braking compared to accelerating under load. I don't know what the top RPM actually would be for the 2.8L, but you can bet that GM gives it a margin of safety to keep it more durable. They put the Duramax brand on it so you can bet they have some faith in the longevity of the engine.
post #553 of 805 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:06 AM

Oh, and early-mid '80s was a low point in automatic transmissions... especially for GM but they weren't alone.

Today's transmissions are far more elegant and refined. We no longer design the system to work the way we want and hope that nothing goes out of spec. We actually monitor everything and change things on the fly when something unexpected happens.
post #554 of 805 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 04:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Don't waste the brake pads. The system is designed for it. Remember that the transmission is designed to take FAR more revs than that behind a V6 in a Camaro while under acceleration load. Also, there is not much torque being exerted on it either during decel.
Every time the transmission shifts it's one less your getting down the road, brake pads are cheap (and last forever). If I don't let my truck downshift 2-3 times down every hill, that saves my transmission hundreds to thousands of shifts per year. Manual mode works well for this.

Quote:
Today's transmissions are far more elegant and refined.
Have you ever driven a GM 6 speed? I think you need to look up the definitions for elegant and refined.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #555 of 805 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 06:30 AM

For those equipped with Navigation, when on the nav screen, touch the nav icon at the top of the screen and the display will switch from 2D to 3D without going into the menu to do so.
Camarolegend and Kainiki like this.
post #556 of 805 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 10:58 AM

Yesterday I accidentally touched the album cover art while a song was playing from a USB drive. It brings up the list of all the tracks on that album, without having to go back through the browse menu. Swanky!

2016 Cyber Gray Z-71 v6/4wd/cc/sb (bose, spray-in bedliner, chrome tip)
Mods: plasti-dipped bowties, BAK Revolver X2 tonneau cover, Husky mud flaps and floor mats, Rexing V1 dashcam, NFab 6-step nerf bars
--
What's the difference between a dirty bus stop and a lobster with breast implants? One is a crusty bus station, the other is a busty crustacean.
post #557 of 805 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Every time the transmission shifts it's one less your getting down the road, brake pads are cheap (and last forever). If I don't let my truck downshift 2-3 times down every hill, that saves my transmission hundreds to thousands of shifts per year. Manual mode works well for this.
Your first statement is completely false. A transmission does not have some magic number of shifts before it wears out. Although brake pads may be cheap, if you live somewhere with real hills and tow much you know that brakes will overheat and rotors will warp when over used. Manual mode can actually be harder on a transmission than letting the system choose when to shift. Human drivers shift when it 'sounds good' and not when the engine torque, rpm, line pressure, etc. are best for the shift. This has been documented by many of the manufacturers and is why some of them do their 'manual' mode differently and let the computer override the driver much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Have you ever driven a GM 6 speed? I think you need to look up the definitions for elegant and refined.
I drive one every day. The 6L45 is elegant and refined enough for BMW to buy them in quantity from GM for multiple vehicle models. Have you ever diagnosed and repaired automatic transmissions as a technician?

My guess is that your comments have to do with not liking the shift pattern of the transmission on the V6. I was speaking of the design, durability and mechanicals of the transmission. What you experience is what happens when you mismatch a drivetrain. That engine does not have the right torque curve to be in a truck and that causes the transmission to shift a lot to keep in the power band. That is one of the reasons that I didn't buy the V6. It is looking like they are bringing a new V6 tuned properly for a truck in the 2017. Unfortunately it will have the, as of yet, somewhat unproven 8 speed transmission with it. If you have a chance to drive a diesel in front of the same transmission you will find that it is a COMPLETELY different experience. Smooth as butter and nice confident shifts even while loaded near maximum capacity. After having worked on the predecessors of this transmission, I would take the 6L50 any day over them (5L50, 4L60/700R4). It is truly much stronger, more efficient and better designed.

Growing up and living in a 'hilly' area with plenty of 6-8% grades, and even higher on township roads, I have always used downshifting on hills even in daily driving of automatics. I usually buy vehicles with well over 100k on the clock and run them till there is too much rust to bother fixing. All of the transmission issues I have experienced in the past 25 years have been a common failure mode of that particular model and completely unrelated to engine braking. I have also never wore clutch sets to the point of causing slipping in any of those transmissions.

When it comes to customer transmissions, I would always see the higher mileage known failure modes. When transmissions died early it could be traced to improper use (abuse) or maintenance neglect pretty much every time. I can count on one hand, how many were a defect failure, and those all failed within six months of driving off the lot when new. I was not around for the 'bad old days' of the early to mid '80s transmissions and thus have only heard the stories and read the bedtime books.

YMMV, but I will continue to happily use the exhaust brake on my 2.8L Duramax whether loaded or not when descending hills
kaiser67 likes this.
post #558 of 805 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:52 PM

I was stopped going up a pretty steep hill the other day and I get a message on the dash "Hill assist enabled" it automatically applied brake pressure when hitting the accelerator to keep the truck from rolling back. I was not away the truck had this.
post #559 of 805 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:57 PM

And when backing a trailer into a tight space that requires several maneuvers on a hill it is PRICELESS!

For those that are not aware... On the Duramax with the built in trailer brake controller, the system will also apply some voltage to the trailer brakes when in 'hill assist' mode. The operation is outlined in the body upfitters electrical manual.
post #560 of 805 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:56 PM

Just FYI, in most states, coasting is illegal. Ie: driving down a hill in neutral. It also usually creates more stress and heat at the torque converter.
soonerken69 likes this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode