Driver side lean - lean to the left - Chevy Lean (combined threads) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Driver side lean - lean to the left - Chevy Lean (combined threads)

Does anyone else have a Chevy lean going on? My truck is about an inch lower on the rear driver side of the bed. I measured with the tank over 3/4 full. The front is even. I've got an extended cab two wheel drive with the V6. My Silverado had this symptom as well, but it was 10 years old when I got it. Makes me wonder how low the drivers side will get when the truck is older. Anyone else have the same lean? Am I just being paranoid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:12 PM

2016 Driver's seat lean?

Measure other points to ensure you are getting accurate measurements. One bed side may be lower (like not mounted properly). Or things of that nature. Park on a level surface and put a level on the bumper. Or compare the angle of the surface with the bumper by placing the level on the surface and making it level if it isn't....measure the distance you must raise one end of the level to make it level. See if the numbers agree to also set the level to be level when on the tailgate. OR bumper...or whatever.

See if every variable you come up with results in the same lean to a side.

I have not seen the design of the tanks, but it seems a bit unrealistic for one since of the truck only to carry the weight of the fuel. Especially with current government requirements for the tanks to be out of harms way in the event of a vehicle impact from the side.
post #3 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I've measured the truck in multiple places and used a level. I even did this in a different parking lot then I normally use. I always get the same result, the drivers side is a bit lower. Sometimes it will change slightly, but it's always lower.

The gas tank is on the drivers side only, even the spare tire is not centered and is slightly on the drivers side to make room for the exhaust. I assume this is why, but I wanted to double check with everyone and see.

post #4 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:26 PM

Garage
Willasan, I think the only solution is for you to start dating a significantly bigger woman than you. She could even out the tilt. Or a prerunner tire mount on the passenger side.

Joking aside, the issue has to only get worse when you sit in the driver side too. Most cars suffer from this, and I had similar issue on the Jeep and Titan.
When I install my adjustable springs, I will have to compensate for this. How much is your lean? is it worth a single 1/4" shim?
DemetrioGQ likes this.

Last edited by drewabbs; 04-16-2015 at 11:28 PM.
post #5 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 05:48 AM

i thought it was my fatness causing the lean. mine has it slightly too but wasnt worried about it

2015 Canyon, crew cab, all terrain, 4x4, v6, BFG AT TA KO2 265/70/17 tires with a zone 1.25" kit
post #6 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

I've got about approximately an inch of lean to the driver's side measuring the at the rear of the bed with a full tank and my normal stuff in the cab. The front is pretty much even. If it's normal, I'm fine with it. Just wanted to check.
post #7 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:53 PM

Pick Up Bed Uneven

I was looking at my truck the other day from behind and it looked like one side of the box is higher than the other. I measured today, and sure enough the rear corner of the bed on the drivers side, is an inch shorter than the passenger side. To be honest I do not know if this is a leaf spring problem or what. I know it is abnormal for a new truck that has never had anything loaded in the bed.

Any ideas on what I should look for?

I am taking her in for hood flutter Tuesday and would like to have better idea of the potential cause of this when I drop her off. Any and all input is appreciated.

TIA
post #8 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:01 AM

Garage
Only time I have ever seen this is like you stated... On an old truck that has been used for heavy hauling.... Start by checking all the bolts that hold the complete spring and the shock on that side.... A place to start anyway... Good luck finding it !!! Got to be something simple. IMO

" Diamond"
2015 Chevrolet Colorado LT , Ext. Cab
Silver Ice Metallic
3.6 V6 DOHC 6 Speed Auto.
17" Blade Silver Metallic Aluminum Wheels
3:42 Gear G80 Auto. Locking Rear with Tow Package
8" Mylink Entertainment Center
GM Performance Exhaust
post #9 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenorther View Post
I was looking at my truck the other day from behind and it looked like one side of the box is higher than the other. I measured today, and sure enough the rear corner of the bed on the drivers side, is an inch shorter than the passenger side. To be honest I do not know if this is a leaf spring problem or what. I know it is abnormal for a new truck that has never had anything loaded in the bed.

Any ideas on what I should look for?

I am taking her in for hood flutter Tuesday and would like to have better idea of the potential cause of this when I drop her off. Any and all input is appreciated.

TIA
Fuel tank is on that side.
low-tec and Janster like this.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #10 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:23 AM

Your left side tire is flat.
savagebob likes this.

Last edited by 08Canyon; 06-19-2015 at 12:27 AM.
post #11 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:33 AM

Infamous chevy (gmc) lean...

Bear with me while I speak, and after I have spoken, mock on. [Job 21:3]

2006 3.5L, Crew Cab, Z71, Dark Metallic Red
Gift from wife Christmas 2007 (21000 miles)
100,000 miles on 01/28/13
110,000 miles on 10/22/13
120.000 miles on 07/08/14
130,000 miles on 03/19/15
140,000 miles on 11/19/15
post #12 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:35 AM

was the fuel tank full? run it down low and measure again.

the Colorado lean.
post #13 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 01:15 AM

Can vehicles get scoliosis?
apex06 likes this.
post #14 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 08:32 AM

Will look closer at it this weekend.
post #15 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 08:50 AM

Garage
Are you a large man?
Beondwacko and bonscott like this.

I carry a gun because cops are too heavy...

post #16 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebob View Post
Fuel tank is on that side.

Just asking, but wouldn't the suspension (leaf springs) on the left side have a slightly different rating to allow for that? I realize a full tank probably only adds approximately 150-160 lbs including the tank, but an inch is quite a bit don't you think? And really, I'm just asking I don't know if effort is made to offset the additional weight of a side mounted fuel tank, but again 1" seems like a lot?

2015 Cyber Gray Z71 CC LB Navi Bose Trailer Pkg
Fold-A-Cover
3" Assist Steps
Cravenspeed Shorty Antenna
Dee-Zee Bed Mat
Interior LED's
Debadge & Plasti-Dip Bowties
Tinted Windows
McGard Anti Theft Tailgate Lock
post #17 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymikey1982 View Post
Just asking, but wouldn't the suspension (leaf springs) on the left side have a slightly different rating to allow for that? I realize a full tank probably only adds approximately 150-160 lbs including the tank, but an inch is quite a bit don't you think? And really, I'm just asking I don't know if effort is made to offset the additional weight of a side mounted fuel tank, but again 1" seems like a lot?
The general answer is , No. It might seem logical to do as you suggest, but I have never seen anyone do this.

If you think about it, 90% of vehicles probably spend 90% of their drive time with just a driver, no passengers. Would probably make sense to mount the fuel tank on the right side to counter some of this issue, especially if you don't mount the fuel tank in the center. (Obviously, with a rear wheel drive or All Wheel Drive vehicle, a drive shaft kind of gets in the way of a center mount fuel tank. )

And yes, my 90/90 % statistics are a number pulled from the air with no scientific basis for their derivation.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #18 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:30 AM

my truck is at 7/8th of a tank and i measured. Same on both sides.
bluenorther likes this.
post #19 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:26 PM

Are you parked on a completely level surface when measuring?
post #20 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:59 PM

There should be some bushings between the bed and the frame. Crawl under and see if one is missing. It's a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode