Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Stake Pocket Covers

44K views 263 replies 60 participants last post by  Iwasframed 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Sharing what I have done recently with a friend to my truck.

i have a switch that uses the plug hole that extends into the stake pocket. Didn't want it to be exposed to excessive weather so I wanted a cover for my stake holes. Well..... I designed a cover that I thought would work. Friend refined the design and after a few renditions and a 3D printer later..... BOOM! This is what I got. See the pics.

Note that the portion inside the stake has a tab that sticks out about a 1/16" of inch to provide a friction point inside the stake hole, and thus enough to hold it steady even at 85mph.

I have it out to the edge of my tonneau cover.

Anyone interested these or a rendition like these?

#2 ·
For some reason I cannot get the forum to accept my photos. No idea why. I have in the past many times.

#3 ·
#13 ·
Okay.... Let me ask him....

Caspian,

Okay. I will ask the guy what he charge to make these. Let's see what he says. Design is done with this pair and it takes about 10.5 hours to do so.

Nice, but the G4 Fold a Cover hangs over about half of that pocket. They would not fit.
It would be nice if he made the fronts also in the same material so they would all match.
He is my buddy. If I asked him he may do it, but I don't want to cut mine out just so that he can design a pair to put in there.

Love them, I will buy a pair!!!
Ill post when I have an answer from him.

You may have posted over the limit of data storage if you can't post. I do not recall the limit (I can try to review old notes?), if you have uploaded a lot of high res photos you can delete some and try uploading again to see if that solves the upload problem.

Unless it's operator error or problems uploading via mobile devices.
Canyon, Thanks. I did not realize that all the photos from all the posts add up. Thought just the photos from the "garage" counted toward it. I get it. Sometime when I get moments I will go back to old posts and delete them or the photos. Hmmmm..... Oh well. or links work I guess.

Not operator error :)

hmm since thats the cover that I'm planning on getting this might put a damper on things...
Let's see what goes down. I will see if he has any ideas on how to make these units flush with the bed cap, thus allow the varying topper covers to work integrated.

Yep, I'd be interested. Keep me in mind
Ill report back soon.

#5 ·
Nice, but the G4 Fold a Cover hangs over about half of that pocket. They would not fit.
It would be nice if he made the fronts also in the same material so they would all match.

#38 ·
First Set ready

Captain Russ..... first set is ready. You were first to say yes. You still want them for $25?

Email me at dasgoob@gmail.com and we can set up the financials and shipping info.

Reactions: captain.russ
#7 ·
You may have posted over the limit of data storage if you can't post. I do not recall the limit (I can try to review old notes?), if you have uploaded a lot of high res photos you can delete some and try uploading again to see if that solves the upload problem.

Unless it's operator error or problems uploading via mobile devices.

#10 ·
I can see a lot of neat things to do with a 3D printer - I still want to find time to design and print a tray for the center console.

I don't have a desire to do this with the hand hold stake pockets, but it seems like a natural. I am actually surprised how well the rear pockets work to grab when climbing in that back of the truck.

#14 ·
Guys,

Will report more back soon. Did find out that there are other options as well. We can spray it with a material that will gloss it up if you so desire and then you can sand and paint to any color you may so desire. Just other options.

I am digging the look. Can't believe what can be done nowadays.... from conception to done..... those printers are amazing to me. Started as a clay model......

#17 ·
Guys,

The buddy with the 3D printer said he is willing to do this for $25 for a set. He is also working on a flush pair that will work with any cover, if you are wanting that instead. The design is done, he just needed some time to actually print them out and then fit on my truck to see how it looks.

let me know your thoughts.

#19 ·
I'm interested in the flush pair. Let me know when it's available. Thanks

#28 ·
He comes back into town tomorrow. i have texted him to let him know there are some people ready NOW. :)

Ill PM you as soon as he is back in and has info I can share. Don't want to give up his info until he is good with it. I am a little cautious with that stuff :)

#25 ·
I am in for a front and rear set. Both flush mount. Let me know how you want to do this.

#30 ·
Trail Boss, the front's are typically already sealed from the bed cap that comes stock. Did you need something different? Are yours cut out? That is a different shape so would need to figure that one out too. Means I would need to cut mine out in order to engineer a pair. Would have to ponder that one....

Let me know your thoughts.

#26 ·
Can I give him a new project to work on - a tray for the center console?

Maybe we need a separate forum for 3D printed accessories?

#44 ·
Dave,

I am out of town at the moment but I know that my buddy made another rendition of the flush mount to try out. We had one radius that wasn't quite right on the last set so we had to make another test piece (which is about a 1/8th of the full version. If this radius is correct, it will be ready to print and I will let you know (and others).

we have a little worry as these fit nice and snug, but with the flush version, that may prove very difficult to remove (if one chooses to do so). We will let everyone know once we have a final version.

Picked up three more roles of printer media today. Should be cool how it all works.

#53 ·
Russ,
@captain.russ Tracking says they have arrived. I hope you enjoy.

#47 ·
Cire 808,

As soon as we have a final design of flush pair, I will let you all know and show you pictures.

#48 · (Edited)
As soon as we have a final design of flush pair, I will let you all know and show you pictures.
I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for a flush set, too. Looking forward to pictures. :smile2:

#49 ·
I can't wait for these to be finished. I hate the holes in the bed.

#50 ·
Update,

Prototype of flush pair came out very good. One very small adjustment being made and the 3rd prototype will print tomorrow. We didnt realize that the bed rail actually has a very subtle convex arc from fore to aft (1mm). Trying to make these spot on. Overall we are quite happy with the latest rendition, just going for that extra bit of fit and finish.

So flush folks, probably be able to start sending out first pair at a time Monday.

Southside, your standard pair will print tomorrow morning. Can ship tomorrow afternoon (late). If you are ready, please paypal $25 to dasgoob@gmail.com . Please put your address in there as well.

Thanks, guys. More info to follow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.