Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Tailgate damping

27K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  White016 
#1 ·
My son visited yesterday with a 2017 Silverado he has as a rental this week. We were comparing features between the 2 trucks when I suddenly come to realize that the tailgate on my Colorado just about slams down now when opening it. The Silverado has a silky smooth and controlled descent.

So the question being asked is it possible to adjust the torsion spring mechanism?
Although still under warranty I dread having to take it into the dealer and having them say that the tailgate has to be replaced, that they have to keep the truck for 4 days and the new paint job won't match the rest of the truck. (speaking from experience when the rear door handles were replaced)

Anyone know?

#2 ·
I don't know, but I'm optimistic that the mechanism could be replaced or repaired, because the tailgate deck plate can be removed -- from what I can tell. I think it's held on with torx screws or another type of fastener. Regardless, good luck and let us all know how you get this resolved.

#3 ·
What model do you have? Entry level trucks did not have the tailgate dampening, also called EZ-lift tailgate.

#6 ·
From the look of his avatar pic it is a Z71 so it should... but that is assuming the avatar pic is his... and you know what they say about assuming...

#7 ·
Yes it is a Z71 as per the picture. I recently installed the Pop & Lock and the torsion spring mechanism was not clearly visible / accessible under the removable cover hence my concern.

#8 ·
Just take it in. On something that doesn't affect driving such as the tailgate, you won't have to leave your truck there while they wait for the part(s).
Matter of fact, make an appointment and tell 'em you wanna wait for it. They'll know whether they'll need to order parts pretty quickly, then you can be on your way.
They when the part(s) come in, do the same. You should be able to wait for them to R&R it

#9 ·
OK, looks like I figured out how this damping works. They have a plastic cam with tiny ridges on the right hand side that acts as friction control on the top portion of the upswing and lower portion on the downswing meaning that it is not continous as there is a gap half way in between. I cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol thinking that perhaps the Krown rust proofing was acting as a lubricant but it made no difference. Could it be already slightly wore down with very little use?

Next, I removed the taillight and discovered a minuscule clock spring type of device. I'm seeing degree marks on it so will try an adjustment tomorrow as it already got dark here.

If that does not work it looks like it is time for new parts and relieved to see that it is simply a 10 minute job!

#10 ·
The rubber bushing is to help keep the tailgate from rattling on the hinges. The part you call a clockspring is actually an anchor for one end of the torque rod inside the tailgate. With the access cover removed, shine a light towards the bottom of the tailgate and check condition of the torque rod.

#11 ·
Now that you mention it, the tailgate damping on my Canyon seems weaker than when it was new. It used to lower in a very controlled manner, now it almost slams. I may mention it next time I have service--it's not worth a separate visit but it is worth checking.

#12 ·
I had time this afternoon to have a closer look at the tailgate damping and assist system. On the left hand side you have the torsion spring shaft that makes it almost to the other side but couples inside the tailgate without exiting on the right. This is for the raise assist portion and makes sense as otherwise if it continued you would not be able to remove the gate.

I checked out the damper on the right hand side and unfortunately there is no adjustment. I did confirm that it is somewhat working as it is under load when the tailgate is down. Not just strong enough to decelerate the downward motion of the gate.

It simply slides onto a geared shaft and takes a minute to remove with a 15 mm wrench.

I tried to pre-load the mechanism with a flat blade screwdriver but forget about it. Too much tension so a new part will be required as I believe this one somehow got weak.

Reactions: mac n cheese
#13 ·
That makes sense it only comes out one side as it's a torsion rod so the dampening comes from the name, torsion, as in twisting. So it would have to be fixed at one end to allow twisting of the other to apply torque force.

It seems like you suggest impact, the bushing piece on the outside has weakened and is giving more and not putting all the moment force onto the torsion rod.
Can you easily get a replacement from the dealer or elsewhere? Try that first and see if it makes it better?

#14 ·
Can you easily get a replacement from the dealer or elsewhere? Try that first and see if it makes it better?
It is not an urgent matter for me and will wait for my next scheduled oil change which is next February. I posted all I could in the hope that it can help other members here as I believe this is not a unique situation. If others have further information to provide please do so.

I would be really interested in trying a Silverado / Sierra damping device as their larger and heavier tailgate would certainly need a beefed up unit.
Maybe the tailgate would no longer lower....lol. (just kidding)

#17 ·
I have also seen my damper not working as it uses to. I wanted to bring it up to dealership but also had a sprayed on bed liner installed by line x. I'm not sure if the extra weight made it weaker. If I let the tailgate drop from closed position it has enough time slow it down. But if I drop it from 3/4 or less it will slam at the end.

#18 ·
I'm not sure how much weight the Line X adds to the tailgate but mine came from the factory with a similar if not identical product. The gate was definitely not slamming down last year like it is now. I added a Pop & Lock solenoid mechanism recently but that is probably no more than a pound in total weight if that. The damper should easily be able to absorb all this including a bit of winter snow and ice.

#19 ·
My truck is 18 months old and 36K miles. Factory spray liner. I didn't see a noticeable difference in the damping Saturday when I messed with it. I will say that for as much as I use my truck, my tailgate probably does not average more than one - two openings per week.

I also do not typically let it slam down, even with the damping, I tend to support it on the way down.

#21 ·
I brought the Colorado in for its final dealer warranty oil change today. I can't believe it has already been 2 years! They also did the HVAC clamp recall.

I took this opportunity to have them replace the damper and I can confirm a big difference and how smooth that tailgate lowers. My wife is happy again...:wink2:

For those of you with a similar issue the part # is 23199956 Dampener 121800

Hey GM, if you are reading this I wish to give Myers Chevrolet in Kanata a 5 star rating. I have had nothing but excellent service from them since my initial purchase. Extremely happy customer.

They even took the time to wash the truck even though it is snowing out. Very impressed!

#22 ·
Nice discussion. I'm wondering, since some of you have been dissecting the inner workings, maybe you can diagnose my recent problem. I'm pretty sure it's cold weather related, but not positive since its still frigid outside.

We've had below freezing temperatures for two weeks. Some temps in the negatives (F) Yesterday it was 17 degrees F and the gate would not open. Temperature got up to 30F and I was able to get it to move but it made terrible creaking noises as I lowered it. I stopped half way in fear of damaging something. I was thinking there might be some type of grease in there that can't handle the low temperatures.

The day before the problem, the temperature rose to 57 degrees F (for only one day) with over 2" of rain! So maybe water got in there somewhere and froze up the mechanism.
So, what do you all think? 2016 Colorado CCSB.
Thanks, Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.