Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

GMC Canyon Bumper Options

12K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  mlc211 
#1 ·
First, let me start off by introducing myself. I am Chris. Three weeks ago I picked up my 2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain.

and....yesterday I was trying to navigate through a ditch and ripped off the bottom lip, and inside clips of the front bumper, which separated the bumper from the inner wheel liner. Looks like it is going to cost upwards of $700 in parts alone, plus paint to fix the damage, so I am not looking at steel bumpers to replace it, It seems like options are limited. I have seen the fab fours bumper, which I like because I do not have to do any cutting to my current bumper. I have also seen the ADD bumper, which I like the looks of more but I have to cut the bumper up.

What else is out there?

thanks in advance!

#3 ·
My comment probably belongs over in the big air dam thread, but I noticed an interesting thing on my Canyon air dam the other night. I am going somewhere this weekend that might have a remote chance of the air dam being a problem. Finally looked at swapping the clips, and made two observations.

1. I have scraped the air dam more times than I realized. Not a big deal, just noticed it.

2. The Colorado owners have spoken about the 13 screws that mount the air dam. On the Canyon, it looks like there are only 11 screws. The two of the locations that are not used are somewhat obvious on the air dam, as provisions are there for the clips, but there was no clip and there was no corresponding hole in the plastic above.

I swapped one of the screws Monday night, but it was getting dark. May try to do at least a bunch of the screws tonight if time permits. The screws in the area of the air dam look like they are going to require a bit of work to access. I have an idea I may try if I have too much trouble. A blend of some of the ideas from the air dam thread and a trick my dad taught me 40 years ago. Thinking about it, half you guys weren't alive when my dad was teaching me how to work on cars.

As far as bumpers go, the designs of new vehicles today, especially front bumpers, just do not lend themselves to aftermarket bumpers. I haven't studied the Canyon & Colorado closely, probably need to park a Canyon & Colorado side-by-side to do a good comparison, but my gut tells me that a bumper designed for the Colorado might not fit the Canyon, and would not flow with the lines of the Canyon all that well. So, looking at a very small volume of trucks to design for. I would guess less than 2% of all truck owners replace the front bumpers on their trucks. When you look at Canyon volumes, that leaves a very small market as compared to the Taco that probably could use the same aftermarket design for over 10 years, plus who knows, might even still fit the 2016 trucks.

If you think you are going to be going offroad, you really need to remove or trim that air dam. As far as @16MallTerrain, sounds like you were being a bit aggressive to do that much damage to your truck. But it is giving you a chance to customize your truck.

I am looking for a new front bumper for the 2009 Wrangler, and the choices are overwhelming. However, the design of the Wrangler allows for easy mounting options, and you have 10 years of the JK model in customer base to sell to. Guess you could call the Wrangler the Lego Blocks of vehicle design while the Twins are as far from a design for easy bolt on of accessories as you can get.

#4 · (Edited)
As one of the 2%'s here, I can speak of the Fab Four for the Collie. Overall, the install was easier than I expected and only took a little more than 2 hours with basic hand tools.
As was correctly stated, the ADD ones looked equally as sexy as the Fab 4 ones but....cutting the existing bumper and lining it up with the new bumper just didn't seem practical as I felt 1 slip and it would have looked terrible. My hands aren't as steady as they were when I was in my 20's :grin2:

I do have to admit that the Fab Four for the Canyon does look mighty impressive. As @CaryBosse stated, he is correct: the bumper for the Collie and the Canyon are 2 totally different parts and would definitely not line up the same.

Not sure how the clearance for the GMC one goes but, I can tell you for the Collie..... there is so much ground clearance that I would have to rip out the entire under carriage before it ever hit the bumper.

Wish you the best which ever way you go and if you do decide to go for the aftermarket one, please send us pix. The manufacturer always shows pic of what it SHOULD look like, but its nice to see when average people do it and how those look.

#5 ·
Expedition One makes bumpers for the new Canyon and Colorado. Here is Expedition One's truck, with their bumper on it. They make a similar bumper for the Colorado, but the portion that fits against the grille is different, so that it matches the Colorado.

And here is their rear bumper.

#7 ·
Expedition One makes bumpers for the new Canyon and Colorado. Here is Expedition One's truck, with their bumper on it. They make a similar bumper for the Colorado, but the portion that fits against the grille is different, so that it matches the Colorado.

Very nice!

#6 ·
Those look nice. Doesn't give it the "fat lower lip" look the other brand offers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.