Detailed Colorado Bumper Removal w/pics and Fog light install - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 08:44 PM

Garage
kaiser67
What did you do to black out your grille?

2016 White Colorado Ext. Cab.LT 3.6 V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD 3.42 Gears:

Factory Fender Flares (Dealer installed)
BAKflip G2 Tonneau Cover
Bed Mat
Curt 51140 Brake Controller
GM Black Bow Tie Set
Factory Towing Package w/7,700 lb. hitch

See my album for pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
kaiser67
What did you do to black out your grille?
Plastidip, just regular black. Can pick it up in spray cans at home depot or most auto stores now.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Checkout my build thread, linked in my sig, for an update post on the switch panel wiring in the engine bay.

The JDMastar LED bulbs in the fogs are very bright and light up edges of the road and signs very nice.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 10:53 PM

Garage
Hi, I would like to give praise to @kaiser67 for his post on the front end removal. Today, I swapped out my chrome grille for a White OEM grille and followed his steps and it turned out great. Also did the air dam removal while the front was off. The white is all plastic, not painted.
Took about 3 hours to complete the entire process.
New Grille
Chrome
During
White in
No Air dam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewGrille1.JPG (55.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg '16 Grille.jpg (45.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg During1.JPG (92.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg NewGrilleIN.JPG (116.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg NoAirDam.JPG (118.1 KB, 72 views)

'16 CrewShort LT V6 4x4,
Summit white- 4LT- Black/ash cloth- Bose/Nav- LPO Dual mode exhaust- Black bow ties- White OEM Grille- Air Dam removed- 18" Canyon SLT polished wheels- Rhino lined bed- Lund snap Tonneau cover- Front doors tinted- OEM Fender Flares- next

Other rides:
2010 Corvette Grand Sport coupe- Crystal red/black
1990 Corvette coupe= Dark red/black

Last edited by 16 Rado in CO; 01-04-2017 at 10:42 AM.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:23 AM

Awesome writeup, thanks!

2016 GMC Canyon CC 4x4 AT SB Onyx Black
Westin Pro Traxx 4
Trifecta Advantage Performance Tune
American Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau
Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights
Custom LED Bedlights
Diode Dynamics Cargo/Reverse/License Plate Bulbs
Morimoto XB35 5500K HID Low Beams
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 04:39 PM

Nice write up guys.

I am not planning to taking mine off to do any upgrades, but I am looking at possibly having to look into why my bumper is poking out about an inch on the driver side right under the headlight housing. It setts perfectly flush on the passenger side. I can't quite tell in the pictures what is holding that in under the headlight. Anyone that has had this pumper off know what holds it in place under the head lights?

2016 Colorado Dmax 4x4 White LT
Mods:
Icon Stage V Suspension
1" rear lift blocks
Fuel Black Anza 18x8 Rims
Toyo Open County AT 285/60/18 tires
Duramax Tuner tune and Trans tune
Drop in bed liner and rubber Chevy mat
Black bow ties
Black OEM fender flairs
Custom built lighted headache rack and rails
Westin Brute crossover tool box

Other vehicles:
2015 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 White Laramie
2011 Toyota Land Cruiser 4x4 White
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 09:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1999 View Post
Nice write up guys.

I am not planning to taking mine off to do any upgrades, but I am looking at possibly having to look into why my bumper is poking out about an inch on the driver side right under the headlight housing. It setts perfectly flush on the passenger side. I can't quite tell in the pictures what is holding that in under the headlight. Anyone that has had this pumper off know what holds it in place under the head lights?
The grille has a "shaft" on either side with clips on the ends that snap into slots on body pieces in the engine compartment. When I installed my body-colored grille, I had a devil of a time getting the clips to snap into the slots. When they weren't snapped in properly, the bumper sat out about as much as you described. I ended up removing the lower cover braces and reaching up with a big hunking pair of channel locks and forcing the two pieces to mate. Below is a view of the pieces I am trying to describe. The yellow ovals are the clips that need to snap into the slots. The red rectangles represent the pieces I temporarily removed to allow me to get a pair of channel locks up into the engine compartment. I suspect one should be able to just strategically smack the grille above the shaft / clip assembly with the palm of your hand to force the mating, but I was afraid I would crack something, so I opted for the coward's way out and approached it from underneath. Hopefully, these ramblings made "some" sense.

BTW: @kaiser67: I stole your picture again. Hope you don't mind. Want to give proper credit to its origin and photographer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front_fascia_save_1.jpg (128.7 KB, 70 views)

2016 Colorado 4x4 WT Ext Cab Long Bed with:
WT Convenience Package
WT Appearance Package
Trailering Equipment Package
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:11 PM

Thanks, my dealer did have my grill out to put my black bow tie on.
That was 6 months ago, I just noticed the problem this morning.

I tried the palm hammer thing to see f it would snap back into place. No luck.
It goes in but pops immediately back out.

My last Tahoe had this same issue, I blew it off and after several months of wind buffing the loosed part of the painted bumper against the bottom edge of the light housing. My headlight housing apparently war through the paint and the paint started to peal off in little chunks.

I am taking it into the dealer tomorrow, trying to be pro active about it this time.
I find it always best to know as much about the problem and possible solutionsas as I can, simply to try and save extra trips back and forth to the dealer.

Thanks again.

2016 Colorado Dmax 4x4 White LT
Mods:
Icon Stage V Suspension
1" rear lift blocks
Fuel Black Anza 18x8 Rims
Toyo Open County AT 285/60/18 tires
Duramax Tuner tune and Trans tune
Drop in bed liner and rubber Chevy mat
Black bow ties
Black OEM fender flairs
Custom built lighted headache rack and rails
Westin Brute crossover tool box

Other vehicles:
2015 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 White Laramie
2011 Toyota Land Cruiser 4x4 White
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 01:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1999 View Post
Thanks, my dealer did have my grill out to put my black bow tie on.
That was 6 months ago, I just noticed the problem this morning.

I tried the palm hammer thing to see f it would snap back into place. No luck.
It goes in but pops immediately back out.

My last Tahoe had this same issue, I blew it off and after several months of wind buffing the loosed part of the painted bumper against the bottom edge of the light housing. My headlight housing apparently war through the paint and the paint started to peal off in little chunks.

I am taking it into the dealer tomorrow, trying to be pro active about it this time.
I find it always best to know as much about the problem and possible solutionsas as I can, simply to try and save extra trips back and forth to the dealer.

Thanks again.
Given the history of the front fascia previously having been removed and your statement that you can pop it back in place but it rebounds, I'd venture to say that there is, at least, a partial failure of the clip on the driver's side of the grille "shaft." Should be an easy fix for the dealership, provided thy don't have to order the clip.

2016 Colorado 4x4 WT Ext Cab Long Bed with:
WT Convenience Package
WT Appearance Package
Trailering Equipment Package
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
And now for the fog lights.

Pry out the covers by the plastic tabs around the cover. Denoted in red circles. Red arrows point to the two guide tabs that hinge kind of.
I used a couple flat heads to work them all at the same time and pushed the center out. It may take a little force

Once covers out, pop in the fog lenses, the 3 extended tab things will only line up the right way. Then pop in the bezels like the cover was held. Pretty easy and self explanatory. Sorry didn't get pictures though.

I took this time to plastidip the chrome on the fog light bezels and the chrome grill.

To put the bumper back on, reverse the steps. When aligning the bumper, I put a couple of the top screws back in to hold it into place. Carefully guide the headlight areas back in, should kind of pop into place. One of the center 10mm may hold in place better if you need. Defintiely easier with two people.

End result:

Enjoy :)
The truck looks great!!
kaiser67 likes this.

2016 Colorado WT Crew Cab 2.5L
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
Alright so I know there are already a couple threads/builds that have explained how to remove the front bumped on 2015+ Colorado.

I thought some would like a detailed step by step with pics.

I removed my bumper to install some aftermarket fog lights, which you don't necessarily have to do but I was also going to paint the grill and some other stuff so made more sense to remove the bumper.
You can also follow this to have access to all the hardware on the air dam. You could then take it off or switch the clips for easy access from below for quick take off/on.

What you will need:
T-15 torx bit (shorter the better)
A ratchet to fit said bit (I used a small 1/4in ratchet)
7mm socket (again 1/4in drive)
10mm socket (1/4 drive or adapter needed)
6+in extension for ratchet
A flat head or something for fog light covers
Something soft to lay the bumper on

It also goes to say, you can follow how I did it or improvise yourself as needed and I am not liable for you messing anything up or breaking anything. Be smart.

I completed this on the ground without lifting the truck or turning the wheels. With a small ratchet and bit it's completely doable but if you can't fit between wheel well and tire you made need to turn wheel or lift front as necessary to access underneath.

Step 1:
Remove the T-15 screws around the top of the grill, there are 6 of them (red circles)

2017 Canyon owner here.

This bit is different. There's a black plastic cover that goes from the top of the grill assembly over the top of the core support. Held in with about 8 of those 2-piece black plastic clips that you have to retract the center lock to remove.
saytanicmechanic and kaiser67 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode