Wilco Offroad tire carrier - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KMW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Wilco Offroad tire carrier

Anyone got a Wilco Offroad Hitchgate or Hitchgate Solo tire carrier and if so please comment; I'm interested in stability, manufacture quality and ease of use. I've seen pics of them on Tacos but not on a Colorado.

Rick 2016 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab, long bed
BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
Bushwacker pocket fender flares
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 05:18 PM

Got a link to their website?

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 05:59 PM
KMW

http://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hit...arrier-toyota/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
CaryBosse likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

I'm surprised there's not more discussion on this forum about rear spare wheel carriers; I just bought a lifted Z71 with 20" rims and big Toyo Open Country tires; a move from the 33" stock to 35". I'm very confident that the under-hung spare is a waste of space; too small and the wrong offset. Using it in an emergency would probably damage the drive train.

I plan to buy an identical 5th rim/tire and rotate through 5 rather than 4 as the others are very new but I need a place to put the thing and I don't think it will fit underneath even if I screw around with the heat shield and little bumper holder plate.

The Wilco carriers look pretty robust. I have the bigger tow package so the hitch should be fine. I'm just hoping a forum member has some experience with these options.

BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 04:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhr900ss View Post
I'm surprised there's not more discussion on this forum about rear spare wheel carriers;
There ARE threads/posts concerning spare tire carries. Especially now that the ZR2 is available with one(meaning GM Accessories will offer it through the parts dept and on the web). Exactly how many threads/posts were you expecting to see?
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon - Search Results
And why did you post your thread twice in two different sub-forums?
One thread in the suspension/wheels/tires forum would've/should've been sufficient, dontcha think?
I mean, the dudes with the lifts and bigger wheels/tires are the ones that would be interested in a bed-mounted tire carrier-which btw, there's already multiple choices available, not including the impending GM OE mount- as the stock spare mount works for the stock spare wheel/tire quite nicely, thus I doubt very seriously many people are gonna move their stock spare on their stock truck up into the bed.
That'd be like mounting your stock DEF or fuel tank on a stand in your bed that makes it visible to other people on the road.
I should take that back. With some of the shit I've read on here, actually on a [somewhat] regular basis, I shouldn't be suprised in the slightest if a bunch of dudes with stock trucks on here start mounting their stock spares in their beds

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17

Last edited by yokev; 12-01-2016 at 04:05 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

@yokev... you are not a moderator. Please stop trying to be one. If you have a problem with a post or thread then report it. If you want to post search results and recommend to another member to use the search function that is also fine but stop with the lectures

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Hi Yokev: Thanks for your response. Before I posted, I scanned the whole site for alternative spare mount ideas and there are some posts but I could only find one other query about the Wilco option and this was the only reference to a rear mounted spare I could find. I posted my query in two subforums because, like me, I'm sure most of the group do not scan all the subgroups or all new posts and I wanted to ensure that this query was most likely to be responded to.

The only carrier I've seen relating to the ZR2 is a bed-mounted one; I'm not interested in this option; I'm inquiring about rear Hitchgate styles. I have not been able to find an aftermarket Colorado bumper with a swing out carrier option.

If you'd read my posts you would note that one of my concerns is that my underhung spare is too small (33" vs 35") and has a different offset from my bigger, aftermarket rims. This makes me very wary using it as a spare as running a mismatched wheel for any length of time would stress the drivetrain.

Also I bought my truck as an expo/camper base so using-up valuable bed or roof space for the spare is not an option. You are quite correct that most people would leave the spare underneath but I plan to buy a 5th oversize rim/tire and even if it did fit under (don't think there's room), I would not choose to do this. Dropping an underhung wheel on pavement is easy but based on personal experience, this is rarely the case offroad and it's more likely that I would suffer a tire failure offroad than on.

As a bonus, the empty spare tire spot leaves loads of room for an ARB on board air compressor, air tank and house battery.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:26 PM

Wilco borrowed a member's truck to design the tire gate for the Colorado then they stopped communicating with him. A few months later they debuted their tiregate at SEMA. To my knowledge no one on here has one and the Wilco site doesn't actually list them for sale yet. I am trying to convince Expedition One to add a rear tire swing out carrier to their rear bumper. I feel a rear bumper swing out would be the best option and man suppliers build them for Toyotas and even Nissans. Hoping a manufacturer will take the lead and build us some great options for the Colorado and Canyon.

2016 Laser Blue Ext Cab Short Bed 4x4 Z71
Fox 2.0 suspension, LineX; custom HiLift, shovel/axe mounts, Chassis Unlimited rock sliders, LED hood pods, Custom aluminum oil pan and transmission skid plates, custom bed cage, MBRP cat back, lots of scratches.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

bcuzucant: I'm with you on this; loads of stuff for Tacos but very little for Colorados. I really like the Aluminess stuff but again, nothing for us yet. I agree that if you have the cash a new, off-road bumper with a swing out is the way to go but I like the option of using the Wilco style.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode