GM Accessory Bed Cover Compatible with Sport Bar - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormWild View Post
Just got mine, it DOES NOT have cut outs to accept the Sports Bar. Pissed!
The posted pic does not look like it is supposed to...it just looks like it is much narrower and covers less of the bed rail so it lays inside the bars.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
The posted pic does not look like it is supposed to...it just looks like it is much narrower and covers less of the bed rail so it lays inside the bars.
I edited my previous post. After talking to Truxedo there was an accessory bag that I missed. I was anticipating there to be actual cutouts in the rails, but there is not. The way they get around the sports bar is to build up the sides with a thick weather stripping to compensate for the same thickness as the bracket. I will try to post up some pictures later.

2016 Colorado Duramax Z71 Trailboss

Last edited by NormWild; 01-11-2017 at 04:55 PM.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:24 PM

I had really good luck with the lund genesis, part # 960180. It had double thick foam on the side rails, so all i had to do was cut half the thickness of one of the foam layers (no metal cutting), and it fit great around the bar. Got the suggestion off the 2nd gen colorado and canyon FB page. And, it was 233.78 on Amazon

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 04:53 PM

I received mine and haven't installed it yet. But can confirm that there is no notch in the rail. I'm upset at the folks at truxedo. The representative I spoke to directly told me that there was one built in to get around the sports bar. My mistake for the wrong information, but I figured truxedo knew what they were talking about.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 08:30 PM

Garage
I'll post pics tomorrow..too dark now. Installed mine this afternoon...it fits completely between the bedrails and the cover does NOT overlap the bedrail at all...not sure how much water this will keep out...my goal was simply to keep the bed from filling with snow and then creating a pool in my garage when it melts.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacius48 View Post
I received mine and haven't installed it yet. But can confirm that there is no notch in the rail. I'm upset at the folks at truxedo. The representative I spoke to directly told me that there was one built in to get around the sports bar. My mistake for the wrong information, but I figured truxedo knew what they were talking about.
It will fit, but IMO its not the solution I think we were all looking for. They include a heavy gauge weather stripping to fill the gap on the side rail, rather than properly design a cut out. I almost took mine back until I called Truxedo.

I was also looking for it just as a solution to keep snow out of the bed and keep my hunting stuff relatively dry. I still don't fully understand the bulkhead seal design either. I keep thinking I installed something wrong but there really is only one way to put it on.
robbpoe likes this.

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:39 AM

You can see the weather stripping between the truck bed and the rail.

post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:40 PM

The way I did it. Cut the bracket and use a U-bolt. Then, the cover fits flush and perfect.

Last edited by MGS9500; 01-27-2017 at 09:36 PM.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS9500 View Post
The way I did it. Cut the bracket and use a U-bolt. Then, the cover fits flush and perfect.
your pics arent showing.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:17 PM

Garage
I wasnt looking to keep things bone dry, just keep snow out of the bed...but we had a fairly light rain here in Kansas City today and this thing leaked around pretty much all of the edges...definitely not worth the $.

Needs to actually overlap the weatherstripping so water will run off over the bedrail instead of collecting on weatherstripping it and seeping through. Going to try more clamps and see if that slows it down more, but shouldnt be necessary for what this damn thing cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0868[1] copy.jpg (144.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0869[1] copy.jpg (113.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0872[1] copy.jpg (111.2 KB, 66 views)

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
You can see the weather stripping between the truck bed and the rail.
I found the lack of adequate directions disturbing.

Norm....how did you do the back end...does the flappy piece of rubber where it meets the tailgate...do you close the tailgate and close it down on top of your gate...or does it hang down on the inside and you close the tailgate to meet it?

Thanks

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:37 PM

Garage
Wondering if a set of these might help clamp it tighter if used between the 8 clamps that came with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Fortitude-Hea...+spring+clamps

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:38 PM

It is good news that they came out with one but I would rather save $250 50% and and modify the Tonno Pro. See my reply on this thread Tonneau on Trail Boss ..

Last edited by R116; 01-16-2017 at 10:43 PM.
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbpoe View Post
I found the lack of adequate directions disturbing.

Norm....how did you do the back end...does the flappy piece of rubber where it meets the tailgate...do you close the tailgate and close it down on top of your gate...or does it hang down on the inside and you close the tailgate to meet it?

Thanks
LOL, that's a great question!! I was wondering that myself again just yesterday. I has to hang down as you can't be expected to pop the latch every time you open the tailgate, or maybe you can. Also I still don't get that thick piece of weather stripping on the bulkhead, it doesn't seal against anything. I was expecting it seal under the metal part of the tonneau bracket, but it just hangs out there under the rubber flap.

Last edited by NormWild; 01-17-2017 at 10:33 AM.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:10 AM

If it's like the Tonno Pro then yes. You have to unlatch close tailgate then relatch every time.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 12:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R116 View Post
If it's like the Tonno Pro then yes. You have to unlatch close tailgate then relatch every time.
It is unique from others I've seen/owned...hence the question. Frankly this thing is kind of a PITA the latch, I wouldnt want to do it every time I open it.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
LOL, that's a great question!! I was wondering that myself again just yesterday. I has to hang down as you can't be expected to pop the latch every time you open the tailgate, or maybe you can. Also I still don't get that thick piece of weather stripping on the bulkhead, it doesn't seal against anything. I was expecting it seal under the metal part of the tonneau bracket, but it just hangs out there under the rubber flap.
I've emailed Truxedo for a response on the latching and leaking issues. We'll see what they have to say.
NormWild likes this.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R116 View Post
I did it that way yesterday and much to my disappointment that appears to be the correct way to seal it. We will see what Truxedo comes back with.

post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 11:17 AM

Garage
They never did respond to my email from 1/17 so I called them today. They say that it can be set up either way with the latching...they recommend closing the cover on top of the tailgate as you get a better seal, but it can be done the other way as well.

As for the leaks, her advice was to make sure that the side rails and weatherstripping are absolutely even with the top of the bed rail (which mine are and still leak some), and also make sure track rails do not tilt to the inside. Or else you get channels where the water collects and leaks in...so I may need to tighten mine down more or get some additional clamps.

I was hoping for better information...I did express my disapproval at the lack of instructions with regard to installing the cover itself. She had no response to that.
NormWild likes this.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS9500 View Post

Cutting the bar and putting in a box bolt is not hard. The fixation of the box bolt exceeds the factory specs by almost three fold.

also, this allows almost any roll up cover.

The reason they fix the bar as they do is it is simple and inexpensive.

The box bolt solution exceeds all specs and is ultimately better than factory... just a little work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode