BedRyder, anyone have them? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yokev

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

BedRyder, anyone have them?

Years ago, when I had my Tundra, I had thought about getting the BedRyder for when my kids got older they could ride in the bed of the truck and I'd have no worries. Then on nice days in the summer, anyone who wanted to come along could ride in the bed, me included.

Does anyone have them in their twin?

Bedryder ® - Truck Bed Seating System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:51 PM

Garage
I know here in Kalifornistan it's illegal to let people ride in the bed of your truck
CaryBosse likes this.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 PM

Garage
I'm not so sure if those would be legal in my state for anyone under 18. Now I guess if you own a Subaru Brat, you'd be grandfathered in.

2017 GMC Canyon SLT V6 2WD Crew Cab Short Box
As a GM IT employee, the opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of General Motors.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post
I'm not so sure if those would be legal in my state for anyone under 18. Now I guess if you own a Subaru Brat, you'd be grandfathered in.

Must be awkward looking people in the face at red lights while sitting back there.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Duramax 2.8 LWN turbo-diesel 4x4
2in Rough Country leveling kit
Rough Country stainless steel bull bar
Smittybilt beaver hitch step
Engine Sound Insulation Delete
Intake Resonator Delete
OEM Bose Sound System
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:35 AM

30 states have restrictions on riding in the back of a truck... and Most insurance companies will no longer insure the BRAT
I don't know why... But i've always like those pieces of shit.
Here are 2 great video on the brat.

and
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
I know here in Kalifornistan it's illegal to let people ride in the bed of your truck
Their website says it is legal to use in California.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdusen1216 View Post
Texas makes it illegal to have anyone under 18 in the bed while on the road.

My wife wouldn't let the dogs ride in the bed, you think she is going to let a grandchild ride back there?

Back in the mid-70s, I was riding with the basketball team to a game in the school bus and we broke down on the side of the road in 30 degree weather. (Dang cold for south Louisiana, especially with the humidity.) A fan for the opposing team saw us, wanted to make sure his team got a chance to play us, and so piled half the team in the back of his open pickup and drove us to the game on the interstate. I think he was hoping the cold would give his team an advantage. We still won. ---> Can't even begin to imagine all of the liability concerns our coach should have had for letting us ride in the back of a pickup with a total stranger. It was a different time.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up cover.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:07 PM

Garage
Back in the 90's, a friend of mine welded some old car seats into the back of his pickup. He got pulled over when he had someone riding back there. The cop checked the connections, made sure that the seats had functioning seat belts and set him on his way.

I rode back there once too, but it was before the day he got pulled over. It wasn't too bad off a ride. It beat walking, which was my primary mode of transportation at the time.

2016 Chevy Colorado LT V6
4x4
HD Towing
LT Convenience
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdusen1216 View Post
It actually says some dude named 'Pete' says it is.
As you can see, the law is written a couple different ways, making it harder to get around it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
California’s law states that: A vehicle operator shall not allow a person to ride upon any part of a vehicle that is not designed or intended for passenger use. (Veh. Code §21712(a)) No person shall ride on vehicle or upon any part of a vehicle that is not designed or intended for passenger use. (Veh. Code
§21712(b)) No person driving a pickup truck or flatbed motor truck shall transport a person in or on the back thereof unless the passenger is restrained by a Federally approved restraint system. (Veh. Code §23116(a) and (c)) No person shall ride in or on the back of a pickup truck or flatbed motortruck unless they are restrained by a Federally approved restraint system. (Veh. Code §23116(b) and (c)).
Penalties. First offense-A fine of not more than $100. Second offense (within 1 year)-A fine of not more than $200. Third or subsequent offense (within 1 year)-A fine of not more than $250. Veh. Code §42001(a) No points are assigned for a violation of these requirements.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF you spent the thousands of dollars on engineering something that the feds would magically certify, you still wouldn't be legal, as the bed of a truck was never 'designed or intended for passenger use'.
IMO, if adults wanna ride in the back of your truck, and you're just as stupid, all the power to you.
Doesn't affect me one bit, and it'll just weed out the shallow end of the gene-pool
My problem is with idiots who put kids and/or animals back there

Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"

Last edited by yokev; 01-12-2017 at 08:53 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:53 PM

Garage

Could always upfit a taxi cap onto the bed of your truck, like they did with this regular cab Duramax Colorado in Thailand.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Duramax 2.8 LWN turbo-diesel 4x4
2in Rough Country leveling kit
Rough Country stainless steel bull bar
Smittybilt beaver hitch step
Engine Sound Insulation Delete
Intake Resonator Delete
OEM Bose Sound System
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
It actually says some dude named 'Pete' says it is.
As you can see, the law is written a couple different ways, making it harder to get around it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
California’s law states that: A vehicle operator shall not allow a person to ride upon any part of a vehicle that is not designed or intended for passenger use. (Veh. Code §21712(a)) No person shall ride on vehicle or upon any part of a vehicle that is not designed or intended for passenger use. (Veh. Code
§21712(b)) No person driving a pickup truck or flatbed motor truck shall transport a person in or on the back thereof unless the passenger is restrained by a Federally approved restraint system. (Veh. Code §23116(a) and (c)) No person shall ride in or on the back of a pickup truck or flatbed motortruck unless they are restrained by a Federally approved restraint system. (Veh. Code §23116(b) and (c)).
Penalties. First offense-A fine of not more than $100. Second offense (within 1 year)-A fine of not more than $200. Third or subsequent offense (within 1 year)-A fine of not more than $250. Veh. Code §42001(a) No points are assigned for a violation of these requirements.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF you spent the thousands of dollars on engineering something that the feds would magically certify, you still wouldn't be legal, as the bed of a truck was never 'designed or intended for passenger use'.
IMO, if adults wanna ride in the back of your truck, and you're just as stupid, all the power to you.
Doesn't affect me one bit, and it'll just weed out the shallow end of the gene-pool
My problem is with idiots who put kids and/or animals back there

Bolted down and seatbelts make it ok dude. That thing would pass.

If you wanna look it all up theres more but the gist is:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES

Section: 06.B Legal use of safety equipment
Issue: 06.B.12 Safety equipment, seat belts, Introduction
Learning Objective: 06.B.12(12)
"Seat belts are required for persons riding in the beds of pickup trucks. Otherwise, it is illegal to ride in the bed of an open pickup truck."

ref. CVC: 23116

CA CVC 23116:
"23116.
**(a)*No person driving a pickup truck or a flatbed motortruck on a highway shall transport any person in or on the back of the truck.

(b)*No person shall ride in or on the back of a truck or flatbed motortruck being driven on a highway.

(c)*Subdivisions (a) and (b) do not apply if the person in the back of the truck is secured with a restraint system. The restraint system shall meet or exceed the federal motor vehicle safety standards published in Sections 571.207, 571.209, and 571.210 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations."

Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations:
eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations

571.207 - This standard establishes requirements for seats, their attachment assemblies, and their installation to minimize the possibility of their failure by forces acting on them as a result of vehicle impact.
571.209 - This standard specifies requirements for seat belt assemblies
571.210 - This standard establishes requirements for seat belt assembly anchorages to insure their proper location for effective occupant restraint and to reduce the likelihood of their failure.

Not Cop is going to be able to inspect and cite you for anything as long as the seats are bolted down securely and there are seat belts securely connected and working. Even in Our strict ass state.

Last edited by lqdchkn; 01-12-2017 at 11:23 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Bolted down and seatbelts make it ok dude. That thing would pass.

If you wanna look it all up theres more but the gist is:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES

Section: 06.B Legal use of safety equipment
Issue: 06.B.12 Safety equipment, seat belts, Introduction
Learning Objective: 06.B.12(12)
"Seat belts are required for persons riding in the beds of pickup trucks. Otherwise, it is illegal to ride in the bed of an open pickup truck."

ref. CVC: 23116

CA CVC 23116:
"23116.
**(a)*No person driving a pickup truck or a flatbed motortruck on a highway shall transport any person in or on the back of the truck.

(b)*No person shall ride in or on the back of a truck or flatbed motortruck being driven on a highway.

(c)*Subdivisions (a) and (b) do not apply if the person in the back of the truck is secured with a restraint system. The restraint system shall meet or exceed the federal motor vehicle safety standards published in Sections 571.207, 571.209, and 571.210 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations."

Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations:
eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations

571.207 - This standard establishes requirements for seats, their attachment assemblies, and their installation to minimize the possibility of their failure by forces acting on them as a result of vehicle impact.
571.209 - This standard specifies requirements for seat belt assemblies
571.210 - This standard establishes requirements for seat belt assembly anchorages to insure their proper location for effective occupant restraint and to reduce the likelihood of their failure.

Not Cop is going to be able to inspect and cite you for anything as long as the seats are bolted down securely and there are seat belts securely connected and working. Even in Our strict ass state.
Poor OP....he just posted wanting to know people's experience with this thing, and here we are debating the legalities.
Sorry man.
Anyway, I have shit for memory, so going off what I read(and posted above), they wrote two different sections so they can(and do down here) enforce it whenever they want.
The first one(IMO) pretty much shoots you in the foot no matter what you wanna do, as it states that unless the manufacturer designed/intended for the specific area in/on the vehicle to be occupied by passengers, it's a no-go.
The second one states that the restraints have to be federally certified/specification(can't remember its exact wording).
Having said all that, the thought occurs to me that I'm not an expert on ANY laws, here or anywhere else, so all I can do is go off what I read and my own experience. So if someone is thinking of putting people(only adults hopefully) in the bed of their truck here in Kalifornistan, my only advice would be to consult the CHP and/or your local PD. I say both agencies because cities/counties have a lot of their own laws/ordinances that aren't necessarily also state/federal laws, and NOBODY knows the motor vehicle code better than the good 'ole CHP.
My personal experience with the law was when I was in my 20s(a LONG time ago), riding in my truck(I was pretty well lit so I was in the passenger seat, and two buds were in the bed). I decided to climb through the slider and engage them both in WWF, all the while there was a cop one car back in the next lane.
He of course lit us up, but in the end I was the only one that got a ticket for riding in the bed, as we were all cool and I asked him to solely ticket me since I caused us to be pulled over.
My second experience was when I did a ride-along(I used to own a Kawi dealer, and we serviced the vast majority of Kawi police bikes in SoCal, so I went on a couple ride along's with some of my friends that were PO's), and we pulled over a truck with two kids and a dog in the back.
I don't give this topic much thought -at all-, but as I said earlier, my position on it is that if you're an adult all the power to you.
The one thing I don't like is, kids and/or dogs in the bed. Dogs don't have a choice, and children must rely on adults to keep them safe.
Anyway, I apologize again to the OP for being part of his thread getting side-tracked.
I'll go away now

Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"

Last edited by yokev; 01-13-2017 at 02:04 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Poor OP....he just posted wanting to know people's experience with this thing, and here we are debating the legalities.
Sorry man.
Anyway, I have shit for memory, so going off what I read(and posted above), they wrote two different sections so they can(and do down here) enforce it whenever they want.
The first one(IMO) pretty much shoots you in the foot no matter what you wanna do, as it states that unless the manufacturer designed/intended for the specific area in/on the vehicle to be occupied by passengers, it's a no-go.
The second one states that the restraints have to be federally certified/specification(can't remember its exact wording).
Having said all that, the thought occurs to me that I'm not an expert on ANY laws, here or anywhere else, so all I can do is go off what I read and my own experience. So if someone is thinking of putting people(only adults hopefully) in the bed of their truck here in Kalifornistan, my only advice would be to consult the CHP and/or your local PD. I say both agencies because cities/counties have a lot of their own laws/ordinances that aren't necessarily also state/federal laws, and NOBODY knows the motor vehicle code better than the good 'ole CHP.
My personal experience with the law was when I was in my 20s(a LONG time ago), riding in my truck(I was pretty well lit so I was in the passenger seat, and two buds were in the bed). I decided to climb through the slider and engage them both in WWF, all the while there was a cop one car back in the next lane.
He of course lit us up, but in the end I was the only one that got a ticket for riding in the bed, as we were all cool and I asked him to solely ticket me since I caused us to be pulled over.
My second experience was when I did a ride-along(I used to own a Kawi dealer, and we serviced the vast majority of Kawi police bikes in SoCal, so I went on a couple ride along's with some of my friends that were PO's), and we pulled over a truck with two kids and a dog in the back.
I don't give this topic much thought -at all-, but as I said earlier, my position on it is that if you're an adult all the power to you.
The one thing I don't like is, kids and/or dogs in the bed. Dogs don't have a choice, and children must rely on adults to keep them safe.
Anyway, I apologize again to the OP for being part of his thread getting side-tracked.
I'll go away now
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with threads like this getting a little sidetracked. I assume that no-one has any experience with the product he's asking about. If there was no "semi-related" discussion, there would be no discussion at all.

I'd say this is still a better answer than a blank page. Maybe it will give him some other ideas for a seating solution in the back.

2016 Chevy Colorado LT V6
4x4
HD Towing
LT Convenience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode