Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

side view mirror

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  ferg Z71 
#1 ·
Hi,

This is my first truck and i'm finding that my blind spots are much bigger than I'd like. I have tried some of the cheap stick on blind spot mirrors and find them useless. I have a base 2016 colorado with manual mirrors. I have found this mirror online, however, it is for the power mirrors. Is there a similar one for manual? Or can someone suggest a replacement (either just the glass or whole unit) which would give me a stylish yet functional blind spot mirror? I don't see myself ever towing anything and I'm not looking to put too much $ into this truck as I'd like to upgrade in a few years.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#4 ·
I used the 2X2 size . . . in the lower, outside corner. I found that position to be more useful and less obtrusive when using the "normal" part of the mirror and it fit the curve of the mirror better IMO.

#6 ·
I have said before, I hate the blind-spot mirror on our trucks. I did learn that if I aim the main mirror further out, the blind spot function seems to work better. I typically aim my mirrors so I can just see the edge of the truck in the mirror. If I aim it so I have to adjust my head to see the side of the truck, then the blind spot seems to work better.

The blind spot mirror on the Sierra is much more functional.

#7 ·
That's because not being able to see the side of the vehicle is the correct position for your side view mirrors. If you are able to see your vehicle that is incorrect. You'll have a larger blind spot in general if you can see the sides. That is why the blind spot mirrors work properly when the vehicle cannot be seen.
Actually many vehicles won't even have a blind spot with properly adjusted side view mirrors.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Thank you,

Those look similar to what graniteblue05 had suggested. I will try my local wal mart tomorrow and if they don't have them i'll order from amazon.

I do keep a bit of the truck in the mirror, it certainly helps with backing in and such and I've never had the mirrors on any vehicle pointed away completely. Perhaps I've been doing it wrong all along and just got used to it :)

Thanks for all the advice!

#13 ·
Gahhh!! Bringing an old thread back to life. I had a round set (bought at walmart) on my Tacoma for a good 9 years and they never failed me and worked great. I couldn't find the same set at Walmart (9 years later). So I bought something different. The first set was a quarter moon shaped where the mirror pivoted. The pivoting mechanism busted and the mirror wouldn't stay in place. They were sold in pairs, so I just tossed the 2nd one (frustrated). I bought another plain round set (non adjustable) - Just last week, the mirror flew off.....leaving the sticky foam on my passenger side mirror. That'll be a mess to clean off. I can't find the 2nd one - I'm not even gonna bother....they were cheap! LOL

Just ordered these..... a bit more expensive, a little bit better reviews... But we'll see.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CV4ANCC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ZNPLJCY5BQIU

#14 ·
Due to a few spinal fractures, it is hard for me to look over my shoulders nowadays.
I got these from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083Z2TQ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They mount inside. One under the oh God bar and one next to the window vent (driver side). I have them aimed so that any car behind my side windows, I have a full view of. The so called 3M tape that comes with them is week, so I switched that out with Velcro. So far, with the temps in the 80s, they are holding up, but don't know if they will stay when the temps reach 100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.