Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

tailgate toolbox

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  infosvc 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I have been lurking around for about 2 months and decided it's time to join in. I got my 2016 Colorado last November and other then the on going, non-stop rattling I am completely happy with it.
I was watching tv last weekend and I saw a guy that had a toolbox built into his tailgate. It looked like it was about 8" wide and ran the length of he tailgate(inside). I didn't catch what kind of truck it was on. My question is: dose anyone make anything like this for the Colorado?
Thanks,
Ggg

#3 ·
I wish I knew. It's defiantly on the passenger side. Sometimes I think it's the dash, other times it sounds like doors or windows in doors, then it will sound like the rear window. I just can't pin point it.
I read the thread about the head liner and the clips on the side of the dome light. I have gone out 2 times and pressed on the head liner. Never heard any snaps. I pressed on every inch of that liner. No luck.
It's really disappointing, driving down the road in a brand new $29000 truck and it sounds like a 1975 Chevy Vega inside.....

#5 ·
Open the hood and check the ECM. It is on the firewall on the passenger side I think. Some have had some play. If it moves that is probably your source. Add some double sided tape or velcro to the back and on the firewall, that should fix it.

#7 ·
In regards to the tool box, I have been searching through a lot of tool boxes on the internet the past couple of weeks trying to find a narrow cross over. Have see bed rail mounts on the web and maybe somebody took one of those and screwed it to the tailgate. I won't go that route, but I can picture it. I occasionally haul items sticking out the back end with the tailgate down and I would not want the load to be on top of my tool box. Plus, the tool box lid could pop open with the end gate down. Another thing, it would get belted with more moisture driving in a rain that it would behind the cab.

In the noise concern department, got anyone you trust to drive your truck while you sit in the passenger seat to listen for the mysterious noise?

#8 ·
70 and sunny last Sat & Sun. Not even a squeak inside my truck. Down into the 40s today and back to same old crap. At least now I know my rattle is cold weather dependent.
I had a friend sit in the passenger seat while i drove around for about 20 minutes today. He is convinced the rattling is coming from inside the dash somewhere around the speaker. Just hope the dealer can figure it out when I take it in for my 1st oil change. If not, I will have one more reason to hate the winter months.....

#9 · (Edited)
If it's like my wife's truck, it would always happen around 1600-2100rpm and sounded like it came from the front right corner of the cab... I thought glove box, speaker, everything you mentioned. If that is the case, I think you need to be looking outside the cab at a plastic brace that is meant to support the sheet metal over the passenger front wheel. On the drivers side it was rock solid about 5 inches over the wheel well. On the passengers side of her diesel, the metal would flex in about an eighth of an inch and then hit solid. If it does, look into:
http://coloradofans.com/forums/177-2nd-gen-interior/333690-hum-front-r-firewall-area.html as the rattle was coming from that brace hitting the metal.

Hope this helps with the rattle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.