Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Access Lomax Tri-fold Tonneau Cover

15K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Capt.Lenny 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I put one on my truck shortly after I got it so it's been about a month now and so far so good. I like the way it's built compared to the BAKflip with the seals under the cover rather than on top which gives the LOMAX a much cleaner, sleeker look IMO. The BAKflip demo unit I looked at was already showing signs of wear in the rubber where it folded and I wondered how it would hold up when exposed to the sun after time.

Install was a breeze and the best part of the LOMAX is that the cover portion can be easily removed if needed and reinstalled in seconds.

Another reason I liked it is that it's made by the same company that makes the Access brand of roll-up bed covers. I had one years ago and had no complaints.

#10 ·
Had mine for a few months. I love it. I'd definitely go with this brand and model again. Combined with a power tailgate lock it seems reasonably secure, and with some carefully-planned weatherstripping along the tailgate, I only see a few drops of water at the rear corners when parked in a severe downpour. No water entry while driving and none from lighter rain while parked.

The cover does get very hot in the sun.

#12 ·
It doesn't fold up against the rear window like some other brands. You'd have to remove it completely for that, but that takes just a few seconds, extremely easy. You can drive with the two rear panels folded over, they secure to the third front panel with some little bungee hooks built into the middle panel and slots cut into the front panel. It looks like the picture below. I do this every few weeks when I swap out our beer keg, which is taller than the bed sides. To remove it, just fold it up this way, then the third panel sort of slides back and lifts up. Very light. I take mine off all the time to transport our dogs' cages.

#15 ·
I was surprised to find that all of my clamps were very loose. Two were just rattling around finger-tight and probably would have fallen off eventually. I tightened them back up, of course, but I can't say I'm too happy about that. My truck is 100% highway use, I bet any offroading would make it even worse.

I will change them to nylocks nuts next time I make a trip to the hardware store.

#16 ·
I was surprised to find that all of my clamps were very loose. Two were just rattling around finger-tight and probably would have fallen off eventually. I tightened them back up, of course, but I can't say I'm too happy about that. My truck is 100% highway use, I bet any offroading would make it even worse.

I will change them to nylocks nuts next time I make a trip to the hardware store.

I had to tighten mine too. I put in extra torque hope it lasts a bit longer this time. I'm going offroading this weekend, first time with the tonneau. See if it'll cause any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Was wondering if any of you with the Lomax have any updates on their covers. Are the hinge seals holding up? That has been one of the only bad comments I've heard about them is that the vinyl starts pulling off.

I'm back looking at covers after almost getting a Leer Trilogy X2T. I'm on the fence about the Lomax, the Undercover Ultra Flex, and the Bak Revolver X2. I don't think I'll go wrong with any of these, just keep procrastinating.

#23 ·
I haven't tried but it seems highly unlikely. Way too wide. The aluminum would probably scratch your doors all to hell, too.

To answer your earlier question, no problems with the vinyl "hinges" after many hundreds of hours baking in a hot FL garage (as well as a few sub-freezing cold snaps).

#25 · (Edited)
Anyone got this. I like how easily it can be removed. Looking forward to any feedback.

LOMAX Hard Tri Fold Tonneau Cover | Folding Truck Bed Cover
Installed it today by myself. Took about 30 minutes. Once the rails are properly adjusted, the cover can be removed and put back in minutes. I like it. Best of all, it has no drain tubes.

I’ve had mine on for about a month, I need to adjust the rails just a smidge. But I like it, tiny bit of water if pouring and sitting still but that about it. Was easy install. Would buy again.
I put one on my truck shortly after I got it so it's been about a month now and so far so good. I like the way it's built compared to the BAKflip with the seals under the cover rather than on top which gives the LOMAX a much cleaner, sleeker look IMO. The BAKflip demo unit I looked at was already showing signs of wear in the rubber where it folded and I wondered how it would hold up when exposed to the sun after time.

Install was a breeze and the best part of the LOMAX is that the cover portion can be easily removed if needed and reinstalled in seconds.

Another reason I liked it is that it's made by the same company that makes the Access brand of roll-up bed covers. I had one years ago and had no complaints.
Had mine for a few months. I love it. I'd definitely go with this brand and model again. Combined with a power tailgate lock it seems reasonably secure, and with some carefully-planned weatherstripping along the tailgate, I only see a few drops of water at the rear corners when parked in a severe downpour. No water entry while driving and none from lighter rain while parked.

The cover does get very hot in the sun.
I had to tighten mine too. I put in extra torque hope it lasts a bit longer this time. I'm going offroading this weekend, first time with the tonneau. See if it'll cause any issues.

Was wondering if any of you with the Lomax have any updates on their covers. Are the hinge seals holding up? That has been one of the only bad comments I've heard about them is that the vinyl starts pulling off.

I'm back looking at covers after almost getting a Leer Trilogy X2T. I'm on the fence about the Lomax, the Undercover Ultra Flex, and the Bak Revolver X2. I don't think I'll go wrong with any of these, just keep procrastinating.
No complaints here after having it on all winter in the cold/snow.
I haven't tried but it seems highly unlikely. Way too wide. The aluminum would probably scratch your doors all to hell, too.

To answer your earlier question, no problems with the vinyl "hinges" after many hundreds of hours baking in a hot FL garage (as well as a few sub-freezing cold snaps).

On my 2017 I had the undercover (pictured below) and loved almost everything about it. Only drawback was no so easy to but taller items in the back w/o taking cover off. It kept things bone dry even in the harshest of weather. Repeating this same buy is my current #2 choice.

On my new 2018 I'm liking the Lomax a lot. The design with how easy it is to put on or take off is a BIG reason this is currently my #1 choice. The reason I quoted all you folks again is I'm hoping to get an update on how you're liking your purchase today. My big question, is LEAKING an issue? From the few reviews I've seen on the ol' interweb as long as you add the extra weather stripping there are no leaking issues. Second question, are you pleased with how well it has maintained its operation and the "newness" look and feel.

Note: I learned from my first cover I needed to add some support (heavy duty flat washers) under the clamps to maintain stability, rigidness for some peace of mind. I'll do this again (something better than the washers) with any new cover I purchase. Truck body seemed flimsy without the added bulk.

Anyone who has purchased one of these please chime in. I'm stuck in the paralysis by analysis and want to put this issue to "bed" (pun intended)!

Thanks
Gusto!

Attachments

#26 ·
Still completely satisfied with mine. No issues, no leaks. The only weatherstripping or sealing I did was around the tailgate -- nothing for the tonneau itself has been needed. It takes something literally approaching a hurricane to get water into the bed with the tonneau closed. I didn't notice any flimsiness but in another tonneau thread I noted you'll want to buy nylock nuts (if the manufacturer hasn't started supplying them yet -- I emailed them about it).

Reactions: MaineMan
#28 ·
I just purchased the Lomax and started to do the install on my Z71 short bed today, but paused because of time and some questions...1) Did you all use the shims? They cause the bedliner to bulge out regardless of how far up they’re pushed. Wondering if they’re really needed? 2) Is there a trick to getting the long bracket down into the stake bed pocket with the “fishing wire” provided? I dropped the bolt into the hole and it took me about 20 minutes to get it out! Any help or tips would be appreciated.

#30 ·
I have a spray-in liner, not sure if the shims are meant to perform the same function in that case, but whatever they were for, I didn't need any of the shims. And that fishing wire just takes patience, but it does work. The instructions aren't very good, it took me a few minutes of fiddling around to figure out exactly how it works.

Are they shipping it with nylock nuts yet? I wrote to them to suggest it and they said they'd probably do this. Just curious. If not, I strongly recommend this. Mine were forever coming loose until I switched.

#33 ·
Okay, I got the Lomax installed this morning. I used the shims, although pulled them down some so as to minimize the bulge in the bed caps. This allowed the rails to sit more level and seat better. I finally got the long bracket and bolt down inside the bed pocket. If all else fails, go back to the instructions, which reminded me to put the bracket and the bolt down separately using the wire. Worked much better than trying to put them down together - D’oh! The cover looks great and seems to seat really well. Time will tell whether any water gets in. I didn’t realize the aluminum has a thin plastic-type cover over it, presumably to deter scratching to the metal directly. I’ll try to post pics if I’m on my laptop later.

#34 ·
Sorry for my late reply. I also have a Linex bed liner. I used the shims, but as noted above, I only put them high enough to support the clamps so there’s no bulging visible on the bed caps, and once I torqued the nuts down to the recommended specs, everything got real firm. I’ve yet to see water intrusion, but I have seen some fine snow dust on the tailgate, so a seal for that will be in the works. It’s quiet, real easy to operate, and makes the truck look stunning. I bought a couple of storage tubs to hold things back there and keep things from dancing around with some strategically placed lumber. I’m happy with the way things are for now, but I’m almost certain that more customization is in my future.

#36 ·
Bought an Extang Encore tonneau coverfor a 2021 Canyon, installed it and a day later the EnduraShield skin started delaminating in 65 degree temperatures. Called the manufacturer and they promptly replaced it with a new unit. Installed that one (2nd cover) and the same day it started delaminating. The EnduraShield skin gets big bubbles in all 3 panels. I love the design but the quality is just not there. At $939.00 this was a complete failure. Easy to install and looks good other than the bubbles. Seal at the bulkhead is not 100%,. rear corners don't clamp down tight. They need a new packaging engineer, all covers appear to be shipped in the same size box regardless of the truck bed size. 1 aluminum piece for the back latch was bent on the second unit. and 1 snap was broken on both covers during shipping. Doesn't fit in the box snugly. Wish I would have gone with the Lomax.:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.