Fender Flares - Page 8 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
Can I verify that this is the ZR2 style flair that offers 1 1/8" coverage?

Will it fit the SB and LB the exact same?

Thanks

PS. I called EGR just now and they are only making bolt on style fender flares for the Canyon and they offer 2" of coverage, which is just too large for my tastes.

The GM 84219295 has a 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" stand off profile. I measured it and there are pictures earlier in this thread. They are not, however, the ZR2 flares . . which I do not think are a direct fit to lower trim levels for the front fender. They may be , but they look like they stop short of the lower trim level bumper fascia.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
The GM 84219295 has a 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" stand off profile. I measured it and there are pictures earlier in this thread. They are not, however, the ZR2 flares . . which I do not think are a direct fit to lower trim levels for the front fender. They may be , but they look like they stop short of the lower trim level bumper fascia.
The ZR2 flares flow into the bumper fascia, which has a flare contour continuation molded into it.
The GM 84219295 flares will only add 1/4-3/8" overhang coverage for wheel pop, and low profile, unlike the ZR2 and EGR's.
post #143 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You all have been a great help in assisting me in honing in on the exact flares and look I want.

I'll be ordering part # 84219295, painting them white, and running 1.5" (maybe 1.25" if I can find them) wheel spacers.

Thanks again.

Current: 2009 Canyon CC I5. 170K miles. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
Eagerly awaiting 2018 Canyon Denali Diesel 4x4 CCLB

post #144 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Garage
Quote:

I'll be ordering part # 84219295, painting them white, and running 1.5" (maybe 1.25" if I can find them) wheel spacers.

You're looking to have the wheels out flush with the fenders correct?

Spacers- 1 1/4" and up
Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings for your car! | Motorsport Tech
post #145 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:42 AM

This is a total derailment, but what adv do you get from adding spacers? (total novice on this topic)
GraniteBlue05 likes this.
post #146 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lusid View Post
This is a total derailment, but what adv do you get from adding spacers? (total novice on this topic)
Lowers center of gravity, and gives a more proper looking stance with factory wheels.
post #147 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:55 PM

I don't think it lowers center of gravity as the vehicle is not lowered, but it does widen the stance theoretically adding stability.

But look, we all do it for the aggressive look really. Not for some minor performance altercation.

post #148 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
I don't think it lowers center of gravity as the vehicle is not lowered, but it does widen the stance theoretically adding stability.

But look, we all do it for the aggressive look really. Not for some minor performance altercation.
Ok, it raises the tipping point.
post #149 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusid View Post

Spacers is another thread. ... . puleeze.. . . .

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #150 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:24 PM

I know its been stated that the OEM Fender Flares (part# 84059964) fit the GMC Canyon.

But can anyone confirm that they fit the 2017 Canyon? Or can anyone confirm that the Canyon/Colorado's body dimensions have not changed between '16 and '17?
post #151 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Maybe the ZR2 Flares do, but the regular flare only add about ~3/8" off the fender. I put them on my previous '15 extended cab, and they're low profile, for looks and ding protection.
Quote:
GM Part # 84219295 is a fender flare that provides 1.25" coverage and that fits all versions of the twins. It's not the same product as either the ZR2 flare nor the little Z71 version that you have.

It's confusing I know! There are photos in the fender flare thread that has some very good photos.
Bringing it over here from the spacer thread.

No confusion about it, having purchased and installed them myself. The flares extend into the wheel well a fair bit, leaving a minimal profile left to extend out over wheels, ok maybe a 1/2", instead of 3/8", but nowhere near an 1 1/4" per side.

Profile shot

Into the wheel well

a crop to see how far the mounting screws are inset from edge
post #152 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:43 PM

You are breaking my heart.

Crap.

Seriously none of these guys can operate a measuring tape?

Thank you for the clarification.
RatRacer likes this.

post #153 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
You are breaking my heart.

Crap.

Seriously none of these guys can operate a measuring tape?

Thank you for the clarification.
You're welcome.
I don't like folks plans/purchases dashed off misinformation.
post #154 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:37 PM

So it turns out the flares that were touted as 1.25" of coverage, don't have that much coverage at all. It appears that the members that measured them forgot to take in to account that they overlap significantly with the OEM fenders and that they really offer closer to 1/4" of coverage.

So for those of us with aftermarket offsets and lifts we currently have 2 known options:

1) Bushwacker. To me the rears in particular just look too aggressive as they come out real abruptly. Also it's been reported that in spots they actually hurt tire clearance. That's no good. They are pricey as well.

2) EGR. They offer a bit more coverage than I personally desire at 2" but they seem to look pretty good. No real world reports on them yet. This is my leading contender currently although I really didn't want to widen my truck this much.

The 3rd option that aesthetically appeals to me is the ZR2 OEM flares (on a LB Canyon) if the edge near the front bumper can be worked out. Has anyone worked this detail out yet?

Thanks

post #155 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:44 PM

I think 1/4" is a bit understated. I will get my micrometer out. . . take some measurements and see what it says.

Just ball parking I see closer to 1/2" possibly more. The front may have more profile than the rear also but I will have to check.

But, yes, if you wish to install spacers or wider tires, the OEM is not what you want.

Misinformation seems it likes to go either way sometimes here. . . . . And 1/4" or 3/8" is understating.

I'll get my micrometer out and take some pics. . It will be awhile though.

post #156 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:01 PM

Garage
Quote:

Misinformation seems it likes to go either way sometimes here. . . . . And 1/4" or 3/8" is understating.

I'll get my micrometer out and take some pics. . It will be awhile though.
If you look a couple posts up, you'll see I changed my guesstimate to be ~1/2", but 1/4 - 3/8" was still a far more reasonable estimate than the pic based 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" that was being tossed about.
No worries though, the reality is out for folks to make an informed decision now.
post #157 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:27 PM

Yes. . no worries. . . no reason to nit pick. And, some others still are stating 1/4". The original post was about the OEM GM Fender Flare price, and whether the GM flares fit both Colorado and Canyon.
There is a separate Bushwacker thread or two already here on the Forum for those who want something wider. Just eyeballing the GM Flares compared to the Bushwackers would have told most anyone that the GM OEM has less profile. So if that's what a person wants then that is the choice to make. This wasn't a thread about comparing, but as usual gets mucked up.

Here are two pictures of the right rear. I am installing these and some compatible WeatherTech splash guards.

NOTE: Measurements taken at top center of the fender lip and flare.

So.. the width of the truck's rear fender lip is a nominal 1.508" give or take a few thousands. The width of the GM OEM Fender Flare is a nominal 2.212".
So - - 2.212 - 1.508 = 0.704 or more than 5/8" - -close to 3/4".

One last comment. The actual profile may even be a bit closer to that 3/4" since the fender flare does not necessarily meet, overlap, or fit flush with the fender lip.Plus, the 3M tape brings the Flare out a bit away from the fender.
The front fender flare may be more or less. I will measure it when I get to it.

* Right Rear Fender Lip

*Right Rear Fender Flare Lip

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 04-15-2017 at 07:43 PM.
post #158 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yes. . no worries. . . no reason to nit pick. And, some others still are stating 1/4". The original post was about the OEM GM Fender Flare price, and whether the GM flares fit both Colorado and Canyon.
There is a separate Bushwacker thread or two already here on the Forum for those who want something wider. Just eyeballing the GM Flares compared to the Bushwackers would have told most anyone that the GM OEM has less profile. So if that's what a person wants then that is the choice to make. This wasn't a thread about comparing, but as usual gets mucked up.

Here are two pictures of the right rear. I am installing these and some compatible WeatherTech splash guards.

NOTE: Measurements taken at top center of the fender lip and flare.

So.. the width of the truck's rear fender lip is a nominal 1.508" give or take a few thousands. The width of the GM OEM Fender Flare is a nominal 2.212".
So - - 2.212 - 1.508 = 0.704 or more than 5/8" - -close to 3/4".

One last comment. The actual profile may even be a bit closer to that 3/4" since the fender flare does not necessarily meet, overlap, or fit flush with the fender lip.Plus, the 3M tape brings the Flare out a bit away from the fender.
The front fender flare may be more or less. I will measure it when I get to it.

* Right Rear Fender Lip

*Right Rear Fender Flare Lip
Measuring that area is mostly insignificant, as there is no backstop to set the depth. You need to measure the vertical portion inside top, and straight edge it to the bottom, and measure the void and plastic thickness to the exterior face.
post #159 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Measuring that area is mostly insignificant, as there is no backstop to set the depth. You need to measure the vertical portion inside top, and straight edge it to the bottom, and measure the void and plastic thickness to the exterior face.

Mostly "insignificant"? Says you with no actual real life pictures.
Well, you can measure that. I'm not cutting the fender flare open to do that. Plus, don't need a "back stop" as the holes align the position of the Fender Flare and it's resting position.
But I see you do wish to nit pick. How about you cut open the Bushwacker Flare and get back to us with some detailed pictures with the Bushwacker cut open to "measure the void". I don't see you jumping through any hoops with pictures and measurements. LMAO

Oh. . and here is an additional picture showing that, indeed, the fender flare edges (Red arrows) do not meet the inner edge of the fender lip (Blue arrows). That means there is about an additional > 1/8" exposure past the outside edge of the fender.

Bottom line. . . it is pretty evident that the GM OEM Fender Flares have a profile pretty close to 3/4". This is more than enough info and detail for someone interested to make their "informed decision".

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 04-15-2017 at 10:05 PM.
post #160 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 AM

Just mount one flare and measure compared to the other side b4 mounting the other side.
It's not hard.
I'm a stickler because it matters of you need to clear aftermarket knuckles but don't want tires that hang way out.
Thanks for doing it if you can. If you can't, that's fine, but don't post blatantly wrong info please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode