Fender Flares - Page 9 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
Just mount one flare and measure compared to the other side b4 mounting the other side.
It's not hard.
I'm a stickler because it matters of you need to clear aftermarket knuckles but don't want tires that hang way out.
Thanks for doing it if you can. If you can't, that's fine, but don't post blatantly wrong info please.
Everyone has posted blatantly wrong info about the profile of these OEM GM flares, including those who say 1/4" to 3/8" which is 75% to 100% underestimated. That is blatantly wrong too . . and from people who post no measurements or pictures. I am making efforts to make a more accurate measurement. No one else has.

Measuring as you state would still not be accurate enough for some people, but I will do that and more. I have already done that and it met with criticism earlier..

What is now wrong with the pictures and micrometer measurement I posted? Right now it appears the OEM GM Flares have at least .704" of profile.

I plan to make one last measurement. I will park the truck, measure the distance without the GM Flare from a fixed point on my garage wall to the center top fender with no GM Flare, install the flare and measure again. Calculate the after/before distance and that will be pretty damn exact. But I am sure there will be more critics.
Some aren't just sticklers. . . . but get there jollies seeing if they make others jump through hoops.

To any critics after this, they can go fly a kite or whatever else the vernacular may imply.
Suns_PSD likes this.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 04-17-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:51 AM

Does this help? Extends about 1/2" (PS this fits the Canyon - find my post in page ? of ?)
One picture's angle is not great but it's another point of view.

My overall objective to buying this is to prevent wheel well ROT & it will 100% prevent that.

Thnx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0958.jpg (150.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0957.jpg (108.3 KB, 56 views)
post #163 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:57 AM

Yes. thanks, I've done that and as you say, the viewing angle kind of skews any measurement and it is just kind of "eyeballing".

Using a micrometer from the inner fender edge before and after would give a more accurate measurement. Right now, it seems like closer to between 0.704" and 0.726" rather than 1/2". The inner fender edge is not exactly uniform in width on any one fender nor at any one point. And the front flares may be different than the rear. I haven't done the front yet so we will see.

And I was looking for the same protection points you are. Just to protect the fender lip from stone and gravel dings as well as fender edge dings from careless parking lot denizen door openers. I park well away from others all the way across a any parking lot and when i come out of a store or business, wouldn't you know someone seems to think parking right next to my truck is the best place in spite of score of empty parking slots.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 04-17-2017 at 09:16 AM.

post #164 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
Everyone has posted blatantly wrong info about the profile of these OEM GM flares, including those who say 1/4" to 3/8" which is 75% to 100% underestimated. That is blatantly wrong too . . and from people who post no measurements or pictures. I am making efforts to make a more accurate measurement. No one else has.

Measuring as you state would still not be accurate enough for some people, but I will do that and more. I have already done that and it met with criticism earlier..

What is now wrong with the pictures and micrometer measurement I posted? Right now it appears the OEM GM Flares have at least .704" of profile.

I plan to make one last measurement. I will park the truck, measure the distance without the GM Flare from a fixed point on my garage wall to the center top fender with no GM Flare, install the flare and measure again. Calculate the after/before distance and that will be pretty damn exact. But I am sure there will be more critics.
Some aren't just sticklers. . . . but get there jollies seeing if they make others jump through hoops.

To any critics after this, they can go fly a kite or whatever else the vernacular may imply.
Sorry, I admit I was conservative(ly wrong) on my provided measurement, since I no longer own the truck that I purchased and installed these on 2 years ago. But when I see a member going to drop $200+ based on others guesstimated liberal measurements that were being tossed about that were not going to do what was being asked, it was time to push for some real factual measurements. I should have done this when I installed mine originally.

My intent was not to nitpick, a personal attack, or getting my jollies off. How you choose to interpret it is on you. I do it so future readers are duly informed with the proper factual information.
@lusid 's pictures represent the best expectation for others to see, so mission accomplished.

I'll go fly my drone now...
post #165 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
3/8"
They are more aesthetic, ding & sand blast prevention, then tire poke coverage vs with something like Bushwackers.
And this isn't nit picking? Busted I think - - - V V V
Quote:
Measuring that area is mostly insignificant, as there is no backstop to set the depth. You need to measure the vertical portion inside top, and straight edge it to the bottom, and measure the void and plastic thickness to the exterior face.

Duly informed is not stating a "guess" of 1/4" to 3/8" then 1/2" and from a two year old impression. And, as I said, that is/was not the original topic of this Thread. . . just price and Colorado/Canyon fitment. Anyone looking at the GM OEM Flares could see they are not the profile of Bushwackers or some other after market beefy flares. I certainly can understand if someone wants something like those.

My intent is also to inform and I did so posting info from the start with vendors to purchase from and other info regarding Canyon fitment.

I disagree on those pictures being the best representation of actual size,since the profile I measured is more than 1/2". Amazing that those were not criticized with just an "eyeball" point of view of a tape measure. A micrometer is less accurate?

Yes, mission accomplished with more accurate micrometer measurements and pictures. 0.704" to 0.726" measured.
- -Even lusid's first picture shows closer to 3/4" .

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 04-17-2017 at 12:58 PM.
post #166 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:19 PM

Garage
post #167 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:44 PM

Garage

Quote:

They will stick out about 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" from the normal sheet metal of the plain fender well edge. They also cover the entire inside lip of the fender well edge. . see the pictures in post #32 in this thread.
post #168 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
So .. . still looking for your factual pictures and measurements.

0.704" is measured. . I followed up with fact.

Boys play with toy drones . . . men use real tools like micrometers.

Besides . . . this picture shows darn close to 3/4" . . not 1/2". My measured 0.704" is not far off from 0.750" or 3/4".
+

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 04-17-2017 at 01:09 PM.
post #169 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
So .. . still looking for your factual pictures and measurements.

0.704" is measured. . I followed up with fact.

Boys play with toy drones . . . men use real tools like micrometers.

Besides . . . this picture shows darn close to 3/4" . . not 1/2". My measured 0.704" is not far off from 0.750" or 3/4".
+
Fair enough.
It's not the 3/4-1/4-1/2" I said, and it's not the 1 1/8-1 1/4" as you stated, so it's now behind us. Future readers will now know the facts.

...and that's a funny looking micrometer you're holdin' there.

Last edited by RatRacer; 04-17-2017 at 01:49 PM.
post #170 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.
It's not the 3/4-1/4-1/2" I said, and it's not the 1 1/8-1 1/4" as you stated, so it's now behind us. Future readers will now know the facts.

You said 1/4", 3/8" and then "maybe 1/2" you never said it was 3/4" .. unless you edited your posts.
Um. . . too many beers today already? That is lusid's picture reposted.. .. He used a tape measure. . I used a micrometer.
I just posted his picture again to show that it is closer closer to 3/4" than the 1/2" he stated. Get it now? Probably not.

Future readers will also now know a lot about you.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 04-17-2017 at 02:06 PM.
post #171 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Fair enough.

What part of this is me not admitting I was wrong, along with you also?

Quote:
You said 1/4", 3/8" and then "maybe 1/2" .. unless you edited your posts.
Um. . . too many beers today already? That is lusid's picture reposted.. .. He used a tape measure. . I used a micrometer.
I just posted his picture again to show that it is closer closer to 3/4" than the 1/2" he stated. Get it now? Probably not.

Future readers will also now know a lot about you.
Apologies, I had not realized you jacked someone else's photo for your post.
post #172 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 AM

If these flares offer about 3/4" of clearance (still not sure I trust ya'lls measuring skills) that's going to be my ticket with 1" Bora spacers in combo with my RC 5" lift.

Guess we'll see soon enough.

Current: 2009 Canyon CC I5. 170K miles. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
Eagerly awaiting 2018 Canyon Denali Diesel 4x4 CCLB
post #173 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
If these flares offer about 3/4" of clearance (still not sure I trust ya'lls measuring skills) that's going to be my ticket with 1" Bora spacers in combo with my RC 5" lift.

Guess we'll see soon enough.

The OEM GM Flares are between 0.704" and 0.726" profile as measured for the rear flares. That is just shy of 3/4" about 1/64" in fractions. I have not measured the front flares yet nor installed them since I want to cut them at the fascia fender junction so If I need to take off the bumper fascia ( like for changing some things) it doesn't mess with the rest of the fender flare.

Don't trust me?

Well, I don't understand why some people can't trust a micrometer and picture of the readings back a few posts so I don't know if I trust people's reading comprehension. Oh, and I did measure the difference before and after and the values come out exactly the same as the raw micrometer measurements I posted. I just did not take pictures because my camera wasn't handy and y'all can do it your self anymore.

Sure as heck is wider than 1/4", 3/8" or even 1/2". And , no, they aren't 1 1/8" either.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 04-21-2017 at 01:43 PM.
post #174 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I used a micrometer.
This is a micrometer:

This is a digital caliper:

post #175 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:30 PM

Happy now?

As I said. . now future readers' will also know about you.

And you say you don't "nit pick".. . Have a Good Day. . .

post #176 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Happy now?

As I said. . now future readers' will also know about you.

And you say you don't "nit pick".. . Have a Good Day. . .
Who are you talking to? This is my first post in this thread. Maybe you thought Rat Racer was posting?
post #177 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:34 PM

Hi all: lots of discussion about flare profiles but something that has been missed is that the flare profile is not square to the truck from top to bottom; the base of the flares follow the contours of the body so at the rear bottom on both front flares (no matter which ones) the flares cut in. When combined with over size, offset wheels, the mud/crap spray pattern from the front wheels can still be pretty significant. My Bushwackers stick out 1.5" to match my 1.5" wheel stick-out but they only keep the spray down to the bottom end of the doors, below that everything sprays up and still makes a mess. Black truck too; I swore I'd never get another black truck......

No room for mudflaps either; the front wheel wells are just way too tight.

Rick 2016 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab, long bed
BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
Bushwacker pocket fender flares
post #178 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:35 PM

Pretty much the same difference. . .. .

Why stir the pot . . . .

post #179 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Pretty much the same difference. . .. .
Again, I assume you are saying that Rat Racer and I are about the same difference. There's a very big difference between racing rats and racing monkeys.
I mean come on, I thought you could figure that one out.
post #180 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:41 PM

Like I said. . . why stir the pot . . .

The same difference meaning of the same apparent curmudgeon mentality.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 04-21-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode