Yet another Tonneau Cover Thread? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 01:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
I sell both at work. It comes down to do you want a frame work or not. Both have advantages and disadvantages but none are enough to discount one. It is more based on needs and expectations.

I went MX4 due to the more flush fit and the frame. As for the F1 vs. MX4 it comes down to do you want an Aluminum top or Fiberglass top. The real game changer is hail. Do you get large hail and often? Then go F1 of you want more long term durability of aluminum go MX4.

keep in mind most hoods will dent at the same rate as the MX4. So you would have more damage to deal with,.
Hope I'm not threadjacking here. I'm not so worried about hail as (knock on wood) we don't get much of that here. I do a lot of aviation photography though, so actually I want one that I can stand on. I'm about 205lbs so I guess the aluminum wouldn't hold me well without denting so I should stick with fiberglass? I want one that is easily removable because I plan to tent camp in the bed. Also, like everyone else, I want one that won't leak, or leaks very little.

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 01:53 PM
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawman View Post
Hope I'm not threadjacking here. I'm not so worried about hail as (knock on wood) we don't get much of that here. I do a lot of aviation photography though, so actually I want one that I can stand on. I'm about 205lbs so I guess the aluminum wouldn't hold me well without denting so I should stick with fiberglass? I want one that is easily removable because I plan to tent camp in the bed. Also, like everyone else, I want one that won't leak, or leaks very little.
I wouldn't recommend standing on either one. The load rating is for "spread" weight, not weight that is concentrated in one spot like it would be while standing on it. Doing so could ruin either one. If that is what you are wanting to use it for.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:

The Aluminum will support up to 400 pounds. Now you can stand on it but you could not say hit it with a base ball. Note too why you can stand on it this is not made to be a platform so there will always be a risk of a dent.

The F1 is the same but the top is fiber based so no risk of dents and may suit your needs better. It will fold back out of the way so you could put a tent in the bed. Wow that almost sounds a little dirty.

The F1 from what I see uses the same latches and rails. The underside I believe is aluminum.

As for leaks nothing is 100% unless you so a solid top cover but I have had no leaks yet. The greatest issue is installation issues where people do not get it lined up right or make sure all the seals meet.

I had two at the front where it was about 1/8 in the corners. The issue was the bed caps. They sent me a 1/4 bulkhead strip in two days and it was solved.

Make sure when you clamp the rails to have someone hold them down and against the bed side as they have to seal too. Once clamped properly they will hold up.

Be aware. The fiberglass can crack under some conditions. Not likely but that is the one risk it faces. Most people never keep the truck long enough to eve worry about it. I think and you can check me but I believe it supports 400 pounds also and has the same 3 year warranty.

Again it is not intended as a platform. Odds are you can stand on it but be aware that if damage results the warranty would not cover it.

Call BAK if you have questions as they are very helpful. I think Kevin is who I spoke when I spoke to them.
rawman likes this.

Last edited by hyperv6; 04-10-2017 at 02:44 PM.

post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:52 PM

agricover.com is what I like

2017 Canyon Duramax Denali w/Alert Pkg
ONYX Black
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
The Aluminum will support up to 400 pounds. Now you can stand on it but you could not say hit it with a base ball. Note too why you can stand on it this is not made to be a platform so there will always be a risk of a dent.

The F1 is the same but the top is fiber based so no risk of dents and may suit your needs better. It will fold back out of the way so you could put a tent in the bed. Wow that almost sounds a little dirty.

The F1 from what I see uses the same latches and rails. The underside I believe is aluminum.

As for leaks nothing is 100% unless you so a solid top cover but I have had no leaks yet. The greatest issue is installation issues where people do not get it lined up right or make sure all the seals meet.

I had two at the front where it was about 1/8 in the corners. The issue was the bed caps. They sent me a 1/4 bulkhead strip in two days and it was solved.

Make sure when you clamp the rails to have someone hold them down and against the bed side as they have to seal too. Once clamped properly they will hold up.

Be aware. The fiberglass can crack under some conditions. Not likely but that is the one risk it faces. Most people never keep the truck long enough to eve worry about it. I think and you can check me but I believe it supports 400 pounds also and has the same 3 year warranty.

Again it is not intended as a platform. Odds are you can stand on it but be aware that if damage results the warranty would not cover it.

Call BAK if you have questions as they are very helpful. I think Kevin is who I spoke when I spoke to them.

Thanks for the info!

post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

No problem.

Note the drains for the Bak go well out the small round holes in the front side of the bed. I was able to get the tube in the hole and it is tight enough that it holds itself and drains well. The hole is in the perfect spot.
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I sell both at work. It comes down to do you want a frame work or not. Both have advantages and disadvantages but none are enough to discount one. It is more based on needs and expectations.

I went MX4 due to the more flush fit and the frame. As for the F1 vs. MX4 it comes down to do you want an Aluminum top or Fiberglass top. The real game changer is hail. Do you get large hail and often? Then go F1 of you want more long term durability of aluminum go MX4.

keep in mind most hoods will dent at the same rate as the MX4. So you would have more damage to deal with,.
After the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 not working out for me, I am back in the market looking at Tonneau covers.

How is the Bakflip MX4?

The issue I was having with the SF2.0 no matter how much I centered it, always one side of the seal would kink a little on the bed caps where you would place your hand in to climb into the bed. I think this was some of the issues with my water problems and I fully understand that nothing is 100% element free with the tonneaus.
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzombie View Post
After the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 not working out for me, I am back in the market looking at Tonneau covers.

How is the Bakflip MX4?

The issue I was having with the SF2.0 no matter how much I centered it, always one side of the seal would kink a little on the bed caps where you would place your hand in to climb into the bed. I think this was some of the issues with my water problems and I fully understand that nothing is 100% element free with the tonneaus.

So far so good on mine. But I have yet to have heavy rain yet.

The rubber seal on mine overlays the rails to the outside. This leave the drain trough between it and the bed.

I have the front sealed and it back enough to cover the tailgate.

I picked up a Extang tail gate seal to seal off the sides and the Bed rug will seal the center.
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
So far so good on mine. But I have yet to have heavy rain yet.

The rubber seal on mine overlays the rails to the outside. This leave the drain trough between it and the bed.

I have the front sealed and it back enough to cover the tailgate.

I picked up a Extang tail gate seal to seal off the sides and the Bed rug will seal the center.
That is good to hear. How long did it take you to install it?

Do you use the bulkhead seal if you have a spray-in bed liner?

Please post some pictures if you can.
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzombie View Post
That is good to hear. How long did it take you to install it?

Do you use the bulkhead seal if you have a spray-in bed liner?

Please post some pictures if you can.
I need to get a new posting site my old one is dead.

But here is what I did per my conversation with BAK before the install.

With the bed liner hey told me to put the bulk head seal on the cover flap not the bed. That was fine I still had the two small gaps at the corners. BAK sent me a 1/4 strip to seal the gap. Now on this I did put this seal to the bed. It stuck really well.

I can take the two bolts lose and flip the flap up then put it down where the two seal mesh solid with no light.

They also recomended have a second person there to hold down and out on the rails. This will seal the rails better a you clamp them.

Side to side fit is a no brained. The front to back you just need to make sure to adjust it so you seal at the front and seal at the back.

The rubber flaps will have kinks from being folded but one day in the sun will seal it fat.

It took us about 45 min to do this but I did something really weak and copied the instructions off the web and read them weeks before I even bought the truck.

All having other co workers who installed them with their tips helped.

It really was no harder than the last two soft TruXedo covers I have done in the last year.

The two drain tubes went to the two round holes to the front side. They are 7/8 the same size as the tubes and can be force to accept the tubes.

You can also hole saw the oval plugs but I did not like them as much. The small holes are up out of the way more.

The Bedrug proved no issue as you just cut the holes, hooks and bed lights in and the cover avoids all of it.

It folds well but make sure you get the rubber bumpers right to protect the cab.

I would recommend only buying the covers they offer with the universal gate seal as you do not have to open the top to shut the gate.

I know the MX4 and F1 both have them.

I will need to get the photos figured out.

For the most part many covers are fine. I chose the BAK mostly because I worked with other owners that were happy.

But over all the quality and install were great now it is up to time to see how it holds up. It does have a three year warranty.
captainzombie likes this.
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:34 PM

Garage
I have the MX4 and it is a high quality very secure cover. Read here, BakFlip Vp Cover as well as search this forum for MX4. My issue, along with a few others that have crew cabs, is that I think it's about an inch short.

2016 Colorado LT 4X4 | Crew Cab | Long Box | Red Rock Metallic | Convenience Package | BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover | Westin Stainless Steel 4" Pro TraXX Oval Side Step Bars
post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:52 PM

Garage
Any differences installing them on a bed with a drop in liner? I guess you just don't need the extra seal in the front but otherwise shouldn't make any difference should it?

post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:12 AM

Garage
I have the MX4 on a cc sb fits great. I have been through some heavy rains with it and I get a bit of water by the tailgate but nothing out of hand. Easy to install and align. I paid just over $800.
post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I need to get a new posting site my old one is dead.

But here is what I did per my conversation with BAK before the install.

With the bed liner hey told me to put the bulk head seal on the cover flap not the bed. That was fine I still had the two small gaps at the corners. BAK sent me a 1/4 strip to seal the gap. Now on this I did put this seal to the bed. It stuck really well.

I can take the two bolts lose and flip the flap up then put it down where the two seal mesh solid with no light.

They also recomended have a second person there to hold down and out on the rails. This will seal the rails better a you clamp them.

Side to side fit is a no brained. The front to back you just need to make sure to adjust it so you seal at the front and seal at the back.

The rubber flaps will have kinks from being folded but one day in the sun will seal it fat.

It took us about 45 min to do this but I did something really weak and copied the instructions off the web and read them weeks before I even bought the truck.

All having other co workers who installed them with their tips helped.

It really was no harder than the last two soft TruXedo covers I have done in the last year.

The two drain tubes went to the two round holes to the front side. They are 7/8 the same size as the tubes and can be force to accept the tubes.

You can also hole saw the oval plugs but I did not like them as much. The small holes are up out of the way more.

The Bedrug proved no issue as you just cut the holes, hooks and bed lights in and the cover avoids all of it.

It folds well but make sure you get the rubber bumpers right to protect the cab.

I would recommend only buying the covers they offer with the universal gate seal as you do not have to open the top to shut the gate.

I know the MX4 and F1 both have them.

I will need to get the photos figured out.

For the most part many covers are fine. I chose the BAK mostly because I worked with other owners that were happy.

But over all the quality and install were great now it is up to time to see how it holds up. It does have a three year warranty.
Thanks for your in-depth thoughts. Don't worry about the pics, I did find some while searching the forums some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padman View Post
I have the MX4 and it is a high quality very secure cover. Read here, BakFlip Vp Cover as well as search this forum for MX4. My issue, along with a few others that have crew cabs, is that I think it's about an inch short.
Thanks! I had read through the Bakflip VP thread yesterday. I have a Crew Cab, so I fear a little that this could be an issue where the cover could be about an inch short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stw146 View Post
I have the MX4 on a cc sb fits great. I have been through some heavy rains with it and I get a bit of water by the tailgate but nothing out of hand. Easy to install and align. I paid just over $800.
Do you have a tailgate seal installed at all?

I am highly considering the MX4 now, just stinks that the Extang didn't pan out......that was a nice cover too.
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padman View Post
Now where did you put the bulk head seal?

I was instructed to put it on the front flap and not the bed. Then I adjusted it back till the seal was on the bulkhead.

This gave me a solid seal in front and back.

Call BAK as they told me to install it this way. I think it was Kevin I spoke to.

If I had installed it on the aluminum mine may have been short too.

Keep in mind the instructions are universal and the only weak spot I found. I would never have known unless I had called before the install.
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:08 PM

Has anyone gotten the new Bakflip F1...I think they modified it a couple months ago and it now has the same tailgate seal as the MX4...You can now shut the tailgate with the tonneau cover closed. If so, how is it working?

2017 Canyon Denali, Diesel, SB
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckundred View Post
Has anyone gotten the new Bakflip F1...I think they modified it a couple months ago and it now has the same tailgate seal as the MX4...You can now shut the tailgate with the tonneau cover closed. If so, how is it working?
If I recall it did get the new seal.

The only real difference the F1 has a composit top and the MX4 is aluminum on the top. Otherwise they use the same hardware.

The key is to get the spacing front to rear right.
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:36 PM

I like the looks of the MX4 with its matte black finish and the fact it had the universal seal...I was about to pull the trigger on that one but I was concerned about dinging or denting the aluminum top...I just noticed the F1 got the new universal seal so I just placed an order was curious if anyone else had it and what they thought...I do like the fact that it doesn't matter if you close the top or the tailgate first...

post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:33 PM

Garage
Shoot I guess I got them backwards. I thought the MX4 had composite and F1 had the aluminum. I just ordered the MX4, but one of my goals is to use it to stand on. Better call and see if I can change it.

post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Shoot I guess I got them backwards. I thought the MX4 had composite and F1 had the aluminum. I just ordered the MX4, but one of my goals is to use it to stand on. Better call and see if I can change it.
I called Bak today, they said when you do order the F1 and want the new tailgate to tell the folks you're ordering it from that you don't want a "new one out of their old stock." (If they do stock some) Ask for the new one specifically...I ordered from Tonneau Covered and they said that they did have some in one of their warehouses so I asked that they not send me one of those and get me one that is drop shipped from Bak...
rawman likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode