Yet another Tonneau Cover Thread? - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

There has been quite a bit of awesome feedback and help throughout this entire thread. Too bad we didn't have a "official" tonneau cover thread where people can capture their experiences, post pics, etc of their tonneau instead of having to search through multiple posts. I think I might end up going with the MX4. I wanted a tonneau over the bed caps like the Sold Fold 2.0, but it seems like with those there are easier chances of getting water into the bed from my experience.

Does the bulkhead seal come with the MX4? It sounds like some guys were actually placing in on the underside of the tonneau vs. on the bulkhead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:27 PM

Love my G4 Elite: https://www.foldacover.com/products/...-fold-a-cover/

2016 Colorado LT 4WD, Long-Box, Laser Blue/Jet Ash. Convenience & Luxury packages, Factory Spray-in Bed Liner, Safety Package, Trailering Package, Mud Flaps, Quad-fold G4 hard tonneau cover, 3" OEM steps, All-season OEM floor mats

Ordered 5/22/15
TPW: 7/13/15
Received: 8/8/15
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzombie View Post
There has been quite a bit of awesome feedback and help throughout this entire thread. Too bad we didn't have a "official" tonneau cover thread where people can capture their experiences, post pics, etc of their tonneau instead of having to search through multiple posts. I think I might end up going with the MX4. I wanted a tonneau over the bed caps like the Sold Fold 2.0, but it seems like with those there are easier chances of getting water into the bed from my experience.

Does the bulkhead seal come with the MX4? It sounds like some guys were actually placing in on the underside of the tonneau vs. on the bulkhead.

I called them before I installed and told them I had the factory spray in liner. He said to install the gasket on the rubber flap and not the bed. It went on fine but the bed caps were holding the corners up about 1/8 inch. Bak sent me an additional 1/4 gasket that I did stick to the bed after cleaning it well and I matched it up to the lower one so they met perfectly. Once I tightened the two bolts up on the front flap it sealed up my gaps.

Note the front flap has two slots this lets you move the entire cover forward or back. I moved it back to where the real flap seal covered the tail gate with two ribs of the seal.

Note since then I added the Extang gate gasket too and it should be sealed up.
captainzombie likes this.

post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:24 PM

Garage
Quote:

I ended ordering and sticking with the MX4. I talked to the salesguy and he said was very helpful explaining the differences between the MX4 and F1 and for me he suggested I stick with the MX4 since we rarely get any kind of hail here in California. This is where I ordered it from: https://www.tonneaufactoryoutlet.com/ Obviously I haven't gotten it yet but I think the guy was pretty up front with me and very helpful and gave me a really great price on it. Guy's name was Morrie. No personal interest here, just passing along the info since I thought he was pretty easy to deal with so far.

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:01 PM

My 2c: I'm new to pick-ups so also new to tonneau covers. My 2016 Colorado long box, bought the end of November last year, came with the "factory" soft tri-fold cover. The Internet tells me that this is a CAN$575 (before taxes) item. Wow! Anyhow, we have just had a really crappy, wet, snowy winter and I've washed the truck many times including HP water and can happily state that the soft cover doesn't let anything in to the bed. It overlaps the bed and tailgate rails to within about 1/2" of the outer edges and makes a great seal. I also don't get water mist up through the tailgate bottom or edges, apparently a common thing with pick-ups.

If there are any Vancouver/PNW memebrs of this forum that are thinking about getting a tonneau for their Colorado or Canyon long box, mine will be for sale really soon as I've just ordered a canopy.

Rick 2016 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab, long bed
BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
Bushwacker pocket fender flares
Wilco Offroad Classic Hitchgate
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
I called them before I installed and told them I had the factory spray in liner. He said to install the gasket on the rubber flap and not the bed. It went on fine but the bed caps were holding the corners up about 1/8 inch. Bak sent me an additional 1/4 gasket that I did stick to the bed after cleaning it well and I matched it up to the lower one so they met perfectly. Once I tightened the two bolts up on the front flap it sealed up my gaps.

Note the front flap has two slots this lets you move the entire cover forward or back. I moved it back to where the real flap seal covered the tail gate with two ribs of the seal.

Note since then I added the Extang gate gasket too and it should be sealed up.
Did you install the gasket on the rubber flap where that flap slopes down on to the bulkhead? Any chance you have pictures of it?

I ended up getting the MX4 here locally at a place for a decent price. I did install it this morning but didn't put the bulkhead seal on yet, and wanted to get some thoughts from you guys. It didn't take that long to install which is a plus. We are getting some rain this week so I'll test that way and not take it through a car wash.

I do like the flush look of the MX4, time will tell how well this holds up. If the Sold Fold 2.0 was just a tad bit longer on all sides, I think it would be the perfect tonneau.....just stinks I had a bad experience with it.

There was a guy that posted in one of the threads, he placed an angular contraption on the tail gate pull cords so nobody could pull the latch. I'll have to contact him to see what he had installed, that would be nice to stop anyone with a coat hanger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawman View Post
I ended ordering and sticking with the MX4. I talked to the salesguy and he said was very helpful explaining the differences between the MX4 and F1 and for me he suggested I stick with the MX4 since we rarely get any kind of hail here in California. This is where I ordered it from: https://www.tonneaufactoryoutlet.com/ Obviously I haven't gotten it yet but I think the guy was pretty up front with me and very helpful and gave me a really great price on it. Guy's name was Morrie. No personal interest here, just passing along the info since I thought he was pretty easy to deal with so far.
Nice! Let us know how you like it after installing it.
post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:25 PM

No photo as I need to sort out a new way to post them as my other will join longer work.

But yes it is on the sloped flap facing down. If you have a spray in liner you may need to call to get an. Additional 1/4 strip.

My gaps were in the coroner only and you could just see a little gap. For not owner tighten the knobs or it can pull the bolts down and dent the lid.

Just make sure to get the front to back spacing right and the tubes can be fixed into the side hold for the drain. Make sure they are on a slop with no low spots.
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
No photo as I need to sort out a new way to post them as my other will join longer work.

But yes it is on the sloped flap facing down. If you have a spray in liner you may need to call to get an. Additional 1/4 strip.

My gaps were in the coroner only and you could just see a little gap. For not owner tighten the knobs or it can pull the bolts down and dent the lid.

Just make sure to get the front to back spacing right and the tubes can be fixed into the side hold for the drain. Make sure they are on a slop with no low spots.
I'll call Bak then since I do have a factory spray-in bed liner.

My gaps are only in the corners too.

I ended up placing the tubes through the holes on the rear side of the bed. I'll have to take some pictures and get them posted.
hyperv6 likes this.
post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:42 PM

Now on the strip they sent me input it on the bed so the non sticky side was facing each other.

That was my own call but appears to work. Just wipe the bulkhead down with alcohol.
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Now on the strip they sent me input it on the bed so the non sticky side was facing each other.

That was my own call but appears to work. Just wipe the bulkhead down with alcohol.
I just called Bak and they are telling me to go through the place I bought it from for the 1/4 bulkhead seal.

Last edited by captainzombie; 04-25-2017 at 09:38 AM.
post #51 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I just called Bak and they are telling me to go through the manufacturer for the 1/4 bulkhead seal.
Mfg? BAK is the MFG.

Did you call the place you bought it from?

If so you need to call BAK in California. I spoke to Taylor.
post #52 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Mfg? BAK is the MFG.

Did you call the place you bought it from?

If so you need to call BAK in California. I spoke to Taylor.
Yup, the place I bought it from that was a typo on my end. :)

I'll call today and ask for Taylor.
post #53 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Yup, the place I bought it from that was a typo on my end. :)

I'll call today and ask for Taylor.

Just tell here the make and model. then tell here it has a spray in liner. Then make sure to get some photos of the gap to send.

Just park it in the light and get a shot of the light at the front and offer to send them.

I think the spray in liner just moves the caps up enough to create a gap. Also moving the seal to the flap may create additional space?

They really need a 1" strip on it with the way they told me to put it on.

I kind of guessed it was a typo but I just wanted to make sure. If she is not there any of them can help they have been very good to deal with.

Let me know how it goes.
post #54 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 11:03 AM

I'm amazed how many brands are under the Truck Hero umbrella. I went with the private label Autoanything ProZ bifold unit, and it's badass. Made by Undercover. I logged pics of it in my build log (not my audio one.) Very hard to beat for 500 bucks shipped.

pic

I modded the prop rod by adding some heat shrink, to keep it from clanging around

I ran my drains under the Bed Rug

So far, so good!

'17 Crew V6, Build log of sound system / Build log of rest of truck modifications

Last edited by LansonF; 04-25-2017 at 12:07 PM.
post #55 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Just tell here the make and model. then tell here it has a spray in liner. Then make sure to get some photos of the gap to send.

Just park it in the light and get a shot of the light at the front and offer to send them.

I think the spray in liner just moves the caps up enough to create a gap. Also moving the seal to the flap may create additional space?

They really need a 1" strip on it with the way they told me to put it on.

I kind of guessed it was a typo but I just wanted to make sure. If she is not there any of them can help they have been very good to deal with.

Let me know how it goes.
I will do that for sure then, thanks! I don't understand how these companies do not offer an option up front if you have a spay-in or not so they can send the appropriate seals.
post #56 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

We've had some heavy rain the last two days. So far it hasn't been to bad when I checked yesterday. There was some water near the rear tailgate and one weird spot towards the center of the bed. I'm not sure if one of the seals on the cover middle section is bad, I'll check today once the rain calms down. The only thing I'm not a fan of this cover is when you open the tonneau all the way to the rear of the cab and blocks your view. I understand it gives you 100% access to full bed but not a fan of that.
post #57 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

I checked this morning and I have several spots in the rear tail gate with water, there seems to be some leaks on the bottom side of the tonneau. Not sure if these were leaks that came in from the outside seal and traveled in....I still have to place the bulkhead seal which I know some water did get through there, but these other spots I can't figure out.

post #58 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 03:04 PM

Garage
My tonneau holds up well to heavy rain (just had some last couple of days), but I added bulkhead seal to the front corners, seems to be a dirt collector though. I am using 303 on it and can't help but think this is causing dust to stick to it (Yes, I meant STICKS). Anybody have ideas for a good tonneau conditioner that actually repels dust build up?

2017 Colorado Z71 (2WD), Cajun Red, V6, Tow, GM Sportbar w/lights, Vinyl "Performance" striping, 4" Westin Nerf Bars, BAK Revolver X2 roll up bed cover (modified), Bed LED lights
post #59 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 05:58 PM

Check to see if you have the side rails firm against the side of the bed. The water can go under the rails and in if you do not have them firm on the side of the bed.

They told me to make sure to have someone hold the sides out and down when you tighten it down.

I figured if it did leak I would pull the rails and use 3M take like for holding trim and use if for a seal.

To get over the rail it has to go under the seal and over the rail then over the drain groove and that would not be easy. So I think it got under your rail.

That would be my best guess.
post #60 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 05:59 PM

Also I can see a lot came in from the front. I wonder how much may have run down the rails too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode