Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Yet another Tonneau Cover Thread?

48K views 134 replies 43 participants last post by  Chris@RealTruck 
#1 · (Edited)
The last few months I've been trying to decide on a Tonneau cover, but there seems to be some different nuances with each one I've read up on. I also did a search on the tonneau cover threads here, read up on some of the ones that people have bought in the past 2+ years. I am still a bit at a loss on what to buy.

I have a 2016 Z71 Crew Short Bed with factory sprayed bed liner and I am looking for a Hard tri fold cover. I'm looking to spend $500-$850. I've narrowed it down to these and just trying to see which one would be the best to with.

• Extang Sold Fold 2.0 (pricey, but seems like might be the best one)
  • American Hard Tri-Fold (on sale right now for $489 at RealTrucks....been reading that this a bit short on the ends)
  • Hard Hat Permier (Don't know too much about this one except for some videos I have seen on YT)
  • Gator FX (I didn't quite like that you have to install the rails)
  • TonnoPro Hardfold Tri-Fold
I am also looking into some side steps more so for the kids and my wife.

See less See more
#2 ·
First, what kind of look are you going for with the side steps? Are you partial to chrome style or something in a more rugged black side step like pictured below?

For the bed covers. Out of the options listed, I know that the Extang you asked about is a very rugged cover that is very well built. I have sold them to customers in the past and never had a complaint. Solid form and function overall and Extang is a brand that backs what they produce very well in my experience. I actually have that exact cover in stock ready to ship and can provide a discounted price for you if you are interested. Just send me a private message and I can let you know what my sale price would be. Of the other options, I have installed the Tonnopro and Gator brands and they are good quality overall, but not like the Extang. I haven't installed the other options on your list.

#3 ·
There are many covers out there and most are good,

Where I work we sell most of them and the most popular one right now is BAK with my co workers.

I just bought one myself and love it. The key is to get it adjusted right and you should have no issues. Many people get them too far back or forward and then have issue.

I wanted a hard cover to be able to lock it up and have some protection for things vs. just leaving them open. Soft covers are out of sight and most hard covers can be pried but most never go that far as it is too much work and too noticeable.

You just need to decide what you want and what style you like.

Also buy a better model as the little things add up to longevity and durability.

One reason I went to the MX4 from back was you can open or close the gate with no issues and not have to open the top to shut the gate. This is a prime complaint on many covers.

#116 ·
Good info..is this easy to remove if you need to run without it? The video review does not cover that, but they mention easy removal on the fibermax with a couple of knobs..Would be nice to not have to lift the cover to close. Thx!!

#6 ·
Gator FX is a great cover. Loved mine. Flush fitting covers rule - they are definitely the best looking :) Plus, you know, the Gator offers full bed access when you need it. The FX line also has the buckles now so you can open it part way and lock it down without bungees.
There are many covers out there and most are good,

Where I work we sell most of them and the most popular one right now is BAK with my co workers.

I just bought one myself and love it. The key is to get it adjusted right and you should have no issues. Many people get them too far back or forward and then have issue.

I wanted a hard cover to be able to lock it up and have some protection for things vs. just leaving them open. Soft covers are out of sight and most hard covers can be pried but most never go that far as it is too much work and too noticeable.

You just need to decide what you want and what style you like.

Also buy a better model as the little things add up to longevity and durability.

One reason I went to the MX4 from back was you can open or close the gate with no issues and not have to open the top to shut the gate. This is a prime complaint on many covers.
First, what kind of look are you going for with the side steps? Are you partial to chrome style or something in a more rugged black side step like pictured below?

For the bed covers. Out of the options listed, I know that the Extang you asked about is a very rugged cover that is very well built. I have sold them to customers in the past and never had a complaint. Solid form and function overall and Extang is a brand that backs what they produce very well in my experience. I actually have that exact cover in stock ready to ship and can provide a discounted price for you if you are interested. Just send me a private message and I can let you know what my sale price would be. Of the other options, I have installed the Tonnopro and Gator brands and they are good quality overall, but not like the Extang. I haven't installed the other options on your list.
Thanks everyone so far, getting this feedback is really good. Chris has been PM'ing me with regards to the Extang.

Which Gator FX did you guys install since there is the FX, FX3, and FX5?

#5 ·
Gator FX is a great cover. Loved mine. Flush fitting covers rule - they are definitely the best looking :) Plus, you know, the Gator offers full bed access when you need it. The FX line also has the buckles now so you can open it part way and lock it down without bungees.

#7 ·
In most cases the designs are similar and they all work well but the most expensive ones will have better materials and features.

The best thing to do is just check out the features and materials to get what you like.

I did the MX4 mostly due to materials and the universal tailgate seal that opened and shut with the top closed. Little features like this make a difference.

#11 ·
I just installed the Extang Sold Fold 2.0 on my Colorado with a sprayed in bed liner. The rear speed clamps when locked down, I can still lift up the tonneau slightly from the rear when the tailgate is locked. Am I missing something, shouldn't this be locked down pretty tight? Someone can place a crowbar in that rear and snap this off.

#12 ·
You do want a little play along the back so that you are not tearing out the rubber as you open and close the tailgate. But, if someone is using a crowbar, nothing is going to keep someone out. :crying:

PS, I keep mine adjusted to that a piece of paper come move between the rubber and the tailgate.

#13 ·
Following the thread.. Trying to decide between the Extang Solid Fold, or the Bakflip MX4 (or F1, which just seems to be a bit more heavy duty than the MX4??)

#18 ·
I sell both at work. It comes down to do you want a frame work or not. Both have advantages and disadvantages but none are enough to discount one. It is more based on needs and expectations.

I went MX4 due to the more flush fit and the frame. As for the F1 vs. MX4 it comes down to do you want an Aluminum top or Fiberglass top. The real game changer is hail. Do you get large hail and often? Then go F1 of you want more long term durability of aluminum go MX4.

keep in mind most hoods will dent at the same rate as the MX4. So you would have more damage to deal with,.

#14 · (Edited)
So I ended up running the truck through the car wash after the installation. I have some leaks in the front of the bed, it appears to be an issue with the spay in the middle section where the gasket would sit.

Does Extang sell a gasket that I can place in the middle section in the front of the bed by the rear window?

Then I also had some leaks towards the rear left side. I might need to pull this off and readjust it again.

Here are pics, maybe someone can tell me looking at these what am I doing wrong. I feel like I might need to bring this over a little to the left, the left handle shows a little but is covered on the right side for climbing into the bed.

#15 ·
George, looking at your pictures, your cover isn't centered and that could be the reason for your pics. With all covers there is some playing around to be done to het them centered properly. On the driver side pic you can see where the seal isn't covering a hole in the bed cap? That could be the source of the leak there. Play aith it a little more and that may solve the leaking. Testing with spray from a water hose can usually show the leaks if they are present. I will double check first thing in the morning to see if Extang makes a secondary seal for the front.

The biggest difference between the Extang and rhe Bakglip MX4 or F1 is how they sit on the bed
Both Bak covers are a little more low profile so to speak than the Extang. The biggest difference between the F1 and MX4 is that the F1 is fiberglass and the Mx4 is aluminum. They have several similar features and are rated at the ae 400lb load rating. I have owned F1 and it is a great cover. Never personally owned the MX4 so I can't say anything about durability over time.

#16 ·
Chris, thanks for the reply. I went back outside about an hour ago and got the cover to a point where it seems to be centered. We are supposed to get some rain tomorrow, so we will see if this works.

Please PM tomorrow if you find out that Extang makes a secondary seal for the front. If not, I'll have to find one to modify since there is a gap. It's all due to that spray in bedliner, really wish they had an option for non-spray-on and spray-on.

I was planning on contacting Extang tomorrow morning to see if they have another set of the front tie down clamps......I was actually thinking of using ones for the rear and replacing the speed clamps, that way nobody can mess with trying to lift up the rear of the cover.

#74 · (Edited)
I feel like downtheroad's mention got overlooked. I definitely want something that sits as flush with the bed rails as possible. I like the look of their all-metal Pro variant. I sent them a message asking if the panels can be easily taken down to bare metal for powder-coating.

Edit: Looks like the non-pro one is aluminum, too -- and already black. Not bad at $850 shipped.

LOMAX Professional Series Tri Fold Tonneau Cover

Good review and detailed photos here on a full-size Frod:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1474225-agricover-lomax-tonneau-review.html

Given my desire to be able to use the entire bed, I also like that it's designed to be removable.

#31 ·
Reactions: captainzombie
#35 ·
Now where did you put the bulk head seal?

I was instructed to put it on the front flap and not the bed. Then I adjusted it back till the seal was on the bulkhead.

This gave me a solid seal in front and back.

Call BAK as they told me to install it this way. I think it was Kevin I spoke to.

If I had installed it on the aluminum mine may have been short too.

Keep in mind the instructions are universal and the only weak spot I found. I would never have known unless I had called before the install.

#32 ·
Any differences installing them on a bed with a drop in liner? I guess you just don't need the extra seal in the front but otherwise shouldn't make any difference should it?

Reactions: captainzombie
#38 ·
I like the looks of the MX4 with its matte black finish and the fact it had the universal seal...I was about to pull the trigger on that one but I was concerned about dinging or denting the aluminum top...I just noticed the F1 got the new universal seal so I just placed an order was curious if anyone else had it and what they thought...I do like the fact that it doesn't matter if you close the top or the tailgate first...

#39 ·
Shoot I guess I got them backwards. I thought the MX4 had composite and F1 had the aluminum. I just ordered the MX4, but one of my goals is to use it to stand on. Better call and see if I can change it.

#40 ·
I called Bak today, they said when you do order the F1 and want the new tailgate to tell the folks you're ordering it from that you don't want a "new one out of their old stock." (If they do stock some) Ask for the new one specifically...I ordered from Tonneau Covered and they said that they did have some in one of their warehouses so I asked that they not send me one of those and get me one that is drop shipped from Bak...

#41 ·
There has been quite a bit of awesome feedback and help throughout this entire thread. Too bad we didn't have a "official" tonneau cover thread where people can capture their experiences, post pics, etc of their tonneau instead of having to search through multiple posts. I think I might end up going with the MX4. I wanted a tonneau over the bed caps like the Sold Fold 2.0, but it seems like with those there are easier chances of getting water into the bed from my experience.

Does the bulkhead seal come with the MX4? It sounds like some guys were actually placing in on the underside of the tonneau vs. on the bulkhead.

#43 ·
I called them before I installed and told them I had the factory spray in liner. He said to install the gasket on the rubber flap and not the bed. It went on fine but the bed caps were holding the corners up about 1/8 inch. Bak sent me an additional 1/4 gasket that I did stick to the bed after cleaning it well and I matched it up to the lower one so they met perfectly. Once I tightened the two bolts up on the front flap it sealed up my gaps.

Note the front flap has two slots this lets you move the entire cover forward or back. I moved it back to where the real flap seal covered the tail gate with two ribs of the seal.

Note since then I added the Extang gate gasket too and it should be sealed up.

#45 ·
My 2c: I'm new to pick-ups so also new to tonneau covers. My 2016 Colorado long box, bought the end of November last year, came with the "factory" soft tri-fold cover. The Internet tells me that this is a CAN$575 (before taxes) item. Wow! Anyhow, we have just had a really crappy, wet, snowy winter and I've washed the truck many times including HP water and can happily state that the soft cover doesn't let anything in to the bed. It overlaps the bed and tailgate rails to within about 1/2" of the outer edges and makes a great seal. I also don't get water mist up through the tailgate bottom or edges, apparently a common thing with pick-ups.

If there are any Vancouver/PNW memebrs of this forum that are thinking about getting a tonneau for their Colorado or Canyon long box, mine will be for sale really soon as I've just ordered a canopy.

#47 ·
No photo as I need to sort out a new way to post them as my other will join longer work.

But yes it is on the sloped flap facing down. If you have a spray in liner you may need to call to get an. Additional 1/4 strip.

My gaps were in the coroner only and you could just see a little gap. For not owner tighten the knobs or it can pull the bolts down and dent the lid.

Just make sure to get the front to back spacing right and the tubes can be fixed into the side hold for the drain. Make sure they are on a slop with no low spots.

#54 · (Edited)
I'm amazed how many brands are under the Truck Hero umbrella. I went with the private label Autoanything ProZ bifold unit, and it's badass. Made by Undercover. I logged pics of it in my build log (not my audio one.) Very hard to beat for 500 bucks shipped.

pic

I modded the prop rod by adding some heat shrink, to keep it from clanging around

I ran my drains under the Bed Rug

So far, so good!

#56 ·
We've had some heavy rain the last two days. So far it hasn't been to bad when I checked yesterday. There was some water near the rear tailgate and one weird spot towards the center of the bed. I'm not sure if one of the seals on the cover middle section is bad, I'll check today once the rain calms down. The only thing I'm not a fan of this cover is when you open the tonneau all the way to the rear of the cab and blocks your view. I understand it gives you 100% access to full bed but not a fan of that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.