Any DIY bed liner products worth looking into? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Any DIY bed liner products worth looking into?

I'm a DIY-guy at heart. I feel I could probably scuff up my bed and paint it with a basic product without any issue. But, are there are any known-good DIY roll-on products out there? I could spray but not sure I'd want to tax my compressor and tank when a roll-on could get the job done.

As far as cargo intended, really I'm just thinking of when I haul pieces of MDF when I'm making an enclosure, or similar. Its not going to get too much abuse.

'17 Crew V6, Build log of sound system / Build log of rest of truck modifications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:40 PM

Garage
MJ and ZR2USA forums I'm on have had decent luck with the Raptor liner, but it is a spray application.

vi et armis invictus maneo..
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:21 PM

I used herculiner. About 3 coats and really like the results. No problems with application or damage to the bed I've hauled all manner of lumber and metal. But to each their own and as always results may vary.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:29 PM

Garage
Honestly I have yet to see a decent DIY job on these. If appearance isn't a worry for you and you'd rather save money then more power to you. I got Speedliner on my truck and love it. Lifetime warranty and looks great. Well worth the extra cost

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 4x4 3.6L v6 ECLB
BNR Tune via Diablosport i2
Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper
Speedliner spray-on bedliner
Weathertech floor mats
AVS hood deflector and window visors
A.R.E MX bed cap w/ Yakima roof rack
Undercover Swingcases
Carhartt seat covers
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:42 PM

Garage
I got an LRV mat which you can Drop-In-Yourself and roll out for a perfect fit.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 PM

I've had Herculiner on a couple different things.....from a 96 tacoma bed to a 92 & 94 Wrangler floorboard to rock sliders.

Aside from it being - a nightmare - and let me explain....
Wear the oldest and shitiest clothes & shoes, because if you get that stuff on your clothes - it ain't comin off. As for your skin - you can literally scrub every last layer of skin off before you get that off your skin. You might get a nasty rash in the process..... :)

Buy disposable paint brushes, and disposable containers. Do not use foam or wimpy cups - it'll eat right thru it.

For Prep - if you use an orbitable sander, you'll be a lot faster than that scruffy pad they give you.

Longevity? On my Tacoma - I painted it over the rails. I had a tonneau cover that sat on the rails. There was a good 2" strip that was exposed to the elements. Anything that was exposed to the 'elements' literally wore thin (or off) in a matter of 3-5 years. Have no fear.... you just buy more and paint it right ontop of the other stuff. The 'color' does fade over time when exposed to the sun. DO NOT apply 'tire shine' materials as it makes the stuff slippery than snot. LOL

Durability? It's not very thick (compared to LineX or similar). If you drag heavy things (like Dana 44 axles for example) across it, it can scratch off. But again, have no fear....you just buy more and apply touch ups.

The stuff does last.....considering you can keep 'touching it up' with more.
However - I woudln't apply it to a nice $40K vehicle. Save the DIY stuff for that old beat up 'paid off' toy or that off-road trail rig. The Tacoma and the two jeeps we had were beat to death on the trails and I certainly didn't pay anywhere near $40k for them.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 07:46 AM

If you're hauling MDF where the surface finish is important maybe you want to look into those bed rugs some on this forum have.
A bed liner is going to take your smooth sheet metal bed and turn it into pumice stone. You'll want either a rubber bed liner to set the sheets on or a sacrificial sheet of wood that can get scratched up.
RatRacer likes this.

2016 Canyon CC LB SLE AT, Cyber Gray
Eibach Pro Truck Sport RHA shocks leveled at 1.4", Access Vanish tonneau cover
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

You guys have great points. The surface of MDF or other woods isn't consequential because I always skim and sand/vinyl/carpet my enclosures or whatever, but I was thinking maybe to a rubber liner on top of this stuff I put on.

I was looking at the ~$100 Raptor kit with the included gun. I could do probably do that. I will have to keep looking around for sure, I just have a modest air tank which serves my brad and staple guns, impact tools, other basics...but its not a high volume thing, just like 22gal or something from Husky I think. Maybe I could push it and run the Raptor gun, in bursts. Wrapping up the truck in plastic and shooting it would be no major issue.

I LOVE the idea of the bed rug, but ~$350-390 seems like an awful way to go. A compromise like maybe liner on the sides and back, with bed rug on the bottom might work.

'17 Crew V6, Build log of sound system / Build log of rest of truck modifications
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 02:17 PM

Take a look at monster liner also, you can spray or roll it. I was going to use it on my old truck. I have an appointment with line-x on tue. for my new truck
Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner outperforms Herculiner Bed Liner, Duplicolor and Rustoleum Road Warrior

Already looking for ideas
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:03 PM

Garage
If you buying full sheets of MDF, they will ride above the wheelwells anyway, on 2x6 boards resting in notches provided for the purpose. You could put cleats on the boards to keep the sheets centered so they wouldn't bang into the sides.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Conway View Post
Honestly I have yet to see a decent DIY job on these. If appearance isn't a worry for you and you'd rather save money then more power to you. I got Speedliner on my truck and love it. Lifetime warranty and looks great. Well worth the extra cost
I've seen the kind of prep job [the local] Line-X does, and it's (or at least was at the time) SERIOUS.
I'm willing to bet at least half the problem with home-jobbies is they simply don't scuff/prep(to put it lightly) the surface enough

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
I've seen the kind of prep job [the local] Line-X does, and it's (or at least was at the time) SERIOUS.
I'm willing to bet at least half the problem with home-jobbies is they simply don't scuff/prep(to put it lightly) the surface enough
Agreed. Most of them I've seen look more like a bad paint job rather than a hard protective coating. Some of them look like I can pierce them with my fingernail. I think this is the type of thing where it's well worth it to get it done at a shop. By the time you buy the product, and the proper equipment to apply it like Line-X does, and go through the headache of putting it on, you've probably already paid more than you would've had you just had it done.
yokev likes this.

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 4x4 3.6L v6 ECLB
BNR Tune via Diablosport i2
Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper
Speedliner spray-on bedliner
Weathertech floor mats
AVS hood deflector and window visors
A.R.E MX bed cap w/ Yakima roof rack
Undercover Swingcases
Carhartt seat covers
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:30 PM

In my opinion, I think professional application is the way to go. I'm a DIY guy too who is tight with my hard earned money, but for the difference in cost it's well worth it and they guarantee the job. All said and done, the trouble and cost to do it yourself, for say another $100 or even $200 would be worth it to have them do it. Plus, if your not happy with the results, they are responsible. If you mess up, you're stuck with it.
Janster likes this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

True but 200 can tint the windows or add a tonneau, so I want to think about that. I can scuff the paint, no problem. It's not really a headache, it's just the details that must be dealt with. No different from when I build a system, that's a headache for most but for me, its therapy!

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:51 PM

Garage
I scuffed the bed and my dad sprayed in 6 bottles of Raptorliner (gun came with the kit). Pics in my garage.
Came out looking like a pro linex job, and is WAY CHEAPER.

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
2" RC leveling kit & 1.25" RC body lift
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
Method Grid Wheels -Special Thanks to JT@Bajakits with stainless beadlock bolts
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares

As soon as $$ permits...Bajakits Upper A-arms and King coilovers and rear shocks.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettb189 View Post
I scuffed the bed and my dad sprayed in 6 bottles of Raptorliner (gun came with the kit). Pics in my garage.
Came out looking like a pro linex job, and is WAY CHEAPER.
Right on, and you have a long bed so I think the 4 bottle raptorliner kit may work for me, with the gun included.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:44 PM

I Raptor lined my Jeep tub several years ago. As you mentioned a lot of prep work for it to hold up well (it has). What I don't like about it is it's roughness. Far more jagged than my Linex'd Canyon and factory sprayed Ram beds. Countless times I've scraped the skin off my knuckles grabbing something under seat, from corner, etc. I would definitely recommend test shooting on some wood at different pressures, speed and distance from the stated instructions to get a texture you like. Only towards the very end of my jeep project did I realize this and apply a spray I was much more happy with.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
I Raptor lined my Jeep tub several years ago. As you mentioned a lot of prep work for it to hold up well (it has). What I don't like about it is it's roughness. Far more jagged than my Linex'd Canyon and factory sprayed Ram beds. Countless times I've scraped the skin off my knuckles grabbing something under seat, from corner, etc. I would definitely recommend test shooting on some wood at different pressures, speed and distance from the stated instructions to get a texture you like. Only towards the very end of my jeep project did I realize this and apply a spray I was much more happy with.
Yes you should definitely test different pressures, speed and distance held off the bed with the gun to get the texture you want.
Also dad says temperature will also play a role in how the raptor liner goes on.
Dad has shot a bunch of 60s muscle cars with custom paint jobs so he already knew to test for pattern and texture.
[ATTACH]225433[/ATTACH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0651.jpg (210.5 KB, 36 views)

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares

As soon as $$ permits...Bajakits Upper A-arms and King coilovers and rear shocks.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LansonF View Post
Right on, and you have a long bed so I think the 4 bottle raptorliner kit may work for me, with the gun included.
4 bottles would have covered my long bed with 1 medium coat and a feathering coat to even out the liner so you should be good if you have a short bed.

Dad had me order the 6 bottle kit as he wanted to shoot 2 medium coats and a feathering coat to even in out, this also allowed the liner to come out a little thicker as well.

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Also thinking about Monstaliner, seeing excellent reviews and the material is a bit smoother.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode