HOW TO: Bull Rings in Front Stake Pockets! - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By CheezyRiderAZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb HOW TO: Bull Rings in Front Stake Pockets!

I had the old stake pocket Bull Rings from my '13 Sierra but had not seen and Canyons or Colorados with them.
After needing them a number of times, I figured out how to use them on my '16 Canyon.
Unfortunately this will only work on the two front pockets as the rear ones have some funky cuttout for some stupid reason.....

After looking at the front area of the plastic bed rail, I realized what I thought were caps for the pockets were just indentations in the plastic rail.
I carefully lifted the plastic bed rail cap. It attaches with clips and comes up easily just by pulling it with your hand.
Underneath I saw a stake pocket that looked like it lined up with the indentations in the rail.
I cut the plastic following the indentations with a utility knife. It cut easily and it was easy to follow the outer area of the indentations. The corners were rounded but after making the straight cuts, it was easy to cut the corners with the same knife.
Luckily the indentations lined up with the pockets!

When I tried to put my Bull Ring in the first one, I couldn't get it to drop in far enough to catch the metal flange around the pocket. It seemed like the plastic cap and metal bed were thicker than just the bed on my '13.
I took a couple longer bolts (1/4"x20 standard US thread) and replaced the original bolts which let the clamp part of the Bull Ring hang down lower from the part that sits on the bed.
That let me get the clamp part to drop low enough to catch under the lip of the stake pocket.
I snugged up the Bull Ring with the longer bolts.
I then removed one of the longer bolts and replaced it with an original bolt with a drop of LockTite on the threads.
Did the same to the other bolt and it was in!

I did run in to an issue on the driver side pocket.
Just below the flange around the stake pocket was a metal edge, only on the outboard side, that wouldn't let the clamp move sideways enough to catch and clamp behind the flange.
Since I had already cut both plastic rails and mounted one Bull Ring, I couldn't stop now.
I carefully tapped the metal edge (back toward me) with a punch and a small hammer which gave me the clearance to get the Bull Ring where it needed to be.
The whole installation only took about a half hour.

I'm not sure why I had that issue only on one side, or if anyone else will run into the same problem on either side, but that's how I made it work.

I still need to get some tiedowns for inside the bed but until I can drop a bunch of money on 'em, I have two more hooks.

If anyone's near me (Gilbert AZ), PM me and I'll be happy to help you do yours if you wanna bring it over sometime......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BR 1.1.jpg (160.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg BR 1.2.jpg (149.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg BR 1.3.jpg (121.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg BR 1.4.jpg (88.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg BR 1.5.jpg (186.2 KB, 61 views)
CaryBosse, menginer and JScottM like this.

CheezyRiderAZ
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode