• 1 Post By Grandpa
  • 3 Post By edsd90
  • 2 Post By edsd90
  • 2 Post By and_steve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rocky Road Outfitters rock sliders tested

I've seen some posts claiming the Rocky Road sliders are not much more than a cosmetic addition, but I can say with confidence they perform extremely well. I've had rock sliders on several vehicles, and used them heavily, for the last 20+ years. I went with the Rocky Road for my Canyon CCLB, and having seen Rocky Road's sliders on other vehicles I'd traveled with in the past, had expectations for them to perform very well on such a long wheelbase truck. I use my trucks pretty heavily, and just returned from a 5 day overland trip with the Canyon that involved some pretty good steps. The long wheelbase is at a disadvantage going over obstacles on the trail, and knowing the trail conditions from previous trips, expected these sliders to be tested for their strength on this trip.

The performed admirably, supporting a lot of the vehicle weight on each side several times over the course of the trip. My passenger occasionally took some photos, so the first image shows the right side of the truck riding with a great deal of it's weight on the rock slider. The second image was shot a couple drops later, this time with the left side supported by the slider as I proceeded over the step. In both cases, the sliders were supporting the truck with the lower, square tubing, with the tree bars riding above the level of the rocky steps. Neither slider moved at all with the abuse they took, just losing some powder coating along the bottom in the process.

Rocky Road Outfitters' Super Sliders can be found on their web site, Chevy Colorado Rock Sliders:Â*Chevrolet Colorado Rock Sliders
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0555.jpg (300.7 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0562.jpg (825.6 KB, 297 views)

Last edited by edsd90; 04-18-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:01 PM

Garage
Quite the testimonial. Glad to hear they're worth the money. I'd love to get a set for my LB, but need steps for now for the little ones to climb in the back. Once they get bigger...

"Stormtrooper"
2016 Colorado Z71 - Crew Cab - Long Box
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:13 PM

Hey Ed, when you get a min can you post a few pics from a few different angles? I looked at these before but the pics on their site aren't very good and it's hard to get an idea what they look like. I've been looking for some rock sliders that mount high and tight, don't care about steps...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:15 PM

Being that these mount directly to the part of the body that it's supposed to protect, I don't seem them taking any kind of significant impact without passing along some of that force to the body itself.

Id like to see good pics of the rockers under the doors. Especially the area near where these mount to the pinch weld.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:21 PM

Garage
Looking at the picture of the unmounted sliders at the bottom of the page. It's hard to tell but do they actually mount to both the frame of the truck AND the rocker panel?

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 PM

Garage
Glad to hear a real world opinion. These have been on my list for a while but I wasn't sure if they were worth it. Some folks here have expressed concern on how they mount up. But im happy to hear they worked like they were supposed to. Thanks for posting!

" I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work." -C. Titus
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:33 AM

It looks like it mounts to the frame?

Did you mout them yourself or have someone else mount them? If so, how was it? Any drilling?

-mac
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:54 AM

I have these on my 2000 Montero and they mount to the frame and the body pinch weld. This ties the body to the frame without any method for flex like the body mounts. I won't be putting these on the Canyon for that reason.
lqdchkn likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon Diesel CC SB 4x4 Brownstone
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleZ View Post
Looking at the picture of the unmounted sliders at the bottom of the page. It's hard to tell but do they actually mount to both the frame of the truck AND the rocker panel?
Yes, they have super cheesey mounts

Group Buy discount for Rocky Road Outfitters rock sliders (super sliders)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsd90 View Post
I just installed the Rocky Road Super Sliders on my CC LB Canyon. Placing the order was easy and pleasant, they shipped when promised, the quality and welds are excellent, they installed easier than expected, and I had no installation issues. I've installed many sets of sliders over the last 20+ years (my own and friends), the most recent on my previous Nissan Frontier, and have lots of experience with them saving body panels. I'm confident these will meet my needs very well. I've read concerns about them on this forum, and sure, there may be some beefier options available some day, but I know these will keep me off any rock or tree hazards, especially considering I'm not going to be abusing this truck nearly as much as my much shorter wheelbase, and extremely well built Nissan. They're sliders, and all the times they've saved body panels on my other trucks, it's on tight and technical trails where forward progress sometimes finds you sliding along a rock or tree. That's sliding, not crashing.

The sliders for our long wheelbase trucks are 96" long, and do not fill the entire space between the wheel wells as you can see, but again, I'm going to be taking this truck on more mild trails than I typically did with the Nissan. I like the ability to stand on them when getting something out of the front of the pick up bed, and cleaning the windshield as well, and these will be adequate for those tasks. In addition to the side shot, I added a couple more to show the attachment points, and also to show how the pinch weld brackets nest right into the strong angle created by the pinch weld. I was surprised how thick the pinch weld was when I drilled the holes, so know that is a strong location for attachment.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Yes, they have super cheesey mounts
Don't know why you keep bashing these. I guess you must have witnessed a failure, so please share the details.

You asked for "after" shots in an earlier post, so here's a couple photos taken today of the mounting points . At times on this recent trip, both front and rear wheels were near or at full drop, so a very significant amount of the vehicle weight was riding on the bottom of the sliders. There is zero deflection, movement, or bending of any sort on any of the mounts or sliders on both sides of the vehicle. The gouging of the sliders, visible in the photos, is also evidence that they served their function well.

Please share photos of the mounts on your sliders as well. I'd like to compare them and see what it is that makes yours so much stronger.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000219.jpg (272.6 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg P1000220.jpg (363.0 KB, 143 views)
goleee33, Krystof and bnemmie like this.

Last edited by edsd90; 04-18-2017 at 07:20 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And here's an additional shot that shows the slider is still riding in the same position, as level and true to the vehicle as before.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000222.jpg (445.9 KB, 142 views)
Krystof and Hunter62 like this.

Last edited by edsd90; 04-18-2017 at 07:10 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:12 PM

FWIW - My own rock slider experiences - I had a set of rock sliders on my 96 tacoma. These were square tube sliders. Aside from being 'rocksliders' - they were used as a jacking point to jack up the truck. They needed to be strong enough to lift the entire weight of atleast half the vehicle. Not a good idea to 'screw' them to the frame. All that weight on a few screws. Not to mention, the frame walls aren't very thick at all, so the amount of actual 'threads' in the metal is minimal. I actually took the sliders to a welding shop. They installed the sliders by using angle-iron (and braces) stitch welded to the frame.
The weight is applied to the underside of the frame and on a larger surface area. No fear of ripping the bolts out of the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0175.JPG (73.0 KB, 37 views)

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
FWIW - My own rock slider experiences - I had a set of rock sliders on my 96 tacoma. These were square tube sliders. Aside from being 'rocksliders' - they were used as a jacking point to jack up the truck. They needed to be strong enough to lift the entire weight of atleast half the vehicle. Not a good idea to 'screw' them to the frame. All that weight on a few screws. Not to mention, the frame walls aren't very thick at all, so the amount of actual 'threads' in the metal is minimal. I actually took the sliders to a welding shop. They installed the sliders by using angle-iron (and braces) stitch welded to the frame.
The weight is applied to the underside of the frame and on a larger surface area. No fear of ripping the bolts out of the frame.
I'm sure your sliders were great but I'm nervous about welding to the frame. I've spent 35 years doing nondestructive testing of welds and have seen countless cracks in the heat affected zone adjacent to the welds. Welding really does seem to be an art, and job shop application can have an effect on the metallurgy of the base metal. In aerospace, we try and make sure that the adjacent base metal is brought up to a temperature conducive to welding that won't cause microscopic shrink cracks in the weld adjacent heat affected zone.

I agree that just a couple of bolts at each mount location may be insufficient, although I'm not an engineer. Maybe a different mounting bracket design that includes flanges and additional bolts on the underside of the frame as well as the side? Or even a u-channel type of configuration that slides over the frame from the bottom?

In looking at the photos, it seems like the distance from the frame to the outside of the body is pretty long and I'm sure making sliders that can bridge that gap without attaching to the pinch weld area is going to be really difficult as well. I'm torn......

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:02 PM

Garage
I have similar results that you had with my rock sliders. Granted I didn't have any pictures taken but I have put some weight on them with zero ill effects. I don't plan on doing anything insane like the Rubicon. . . at least not yet. For what everyone is using these trucks for the Rocky Roads are more than enough. What do you guys wanting other sliders plan on doing?

Lets see more pics of the rig!! Looks bad ass!

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:44 PM

Rocky Road Outfitters rock sliders tested

As for why people think I'm bashing RR, it's because they are not a good design and they aren't well thought out. While they may work in some instances they are not good. I'm glad they didn't do more damage to your truck @edsd90 but if you ever actually end up bashing them, then you will find they did not protect the part they are supposed to protect.

Last edited by and_steve; 04-18-2017 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Remove unapproved post that was quoted
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Spam?

Took care of that. Thanks as usual. :)
Arctic Cat ZRT and lqdchkn like this.

Resident thread derailer

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CC SB 4x4

Site Rules

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleZ View Post
I'm sure your sliders were great but I'm nervous about welding to the frame. I've spent 35 years doing nondestructive testing of welds and have seen countless cracks in the heat affected zone adjacent to the welds. Welding really does seem to be an art, and job shop application can have an effect on the metallurgy of the base metal. In aerospace, we try and make sure that the adjacent base metal is brought up to a temperature conducive to welding that won't cause microscopic shrink cracks in the weld adjacent heat affected zone.
Invasive
They used 'Stitch Welding' - which is less damaging to the structural integrity of the frame.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode