MotorTrend Long-Term Review - AirDam - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:47 PM

Thumbs up Air Dam

I have read the various threads and YouTube Videos on the removal horror stories of the air dam. Just added a bull bar and while doing so removed the air dam in less than a half hour with no cutting of fasteners and prying. Simply remove the skid plate or plastic protector under the engine compartment ( 4 bolts ), then there is a black semi triangular plastic piece on either side that the fender liner screws into ( 3 screws on black wheel well liner. 2 inti bottom of fender and a screw with a bolt head into vertical support arm. ). Simply remove the 5 screws and 1 small bolt head and it drops down. with these removed you can access all 13 screws with a standard ratchet and star bit with ease. Don't understand why the majority think its a hard job?
JScottM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman4 View Post
I have read the various threads and YouTube Videos on the removal horror stories of the air dam. Just added a bull bar and while doing so removed the air dam in less than a half hour with no cutting of fasteners and prying. Simply remove the skid plate or plastic protector under the engine compartment ( 4 bolts ), then there is a black semi triangular plastic piece on either side that the fender liner screws into ( 3 screws on black wheel well liner. 2 inti bottom of fender and a screw with a bolt head into vertical support arm. ). Simply remove the 5 screws and 1 small bolt head and it drops down. with these removed you can access all 13 screws with a standard ratchet and star bit with ease. Don't understand why the majority think its a hard job?
Mostly not having the correct tools. That makes all the difference in the world. Most of these people are going in with the basic hand tool which I'll admit would be really annoying. I have a right angle adapter for my drill so I had majority of my torx screws off in 10 mins. There was 2 in front that gave me a bit of trouble but all in all 30 mins max.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 04:16 PM

Garage
I noticed on the new Silverados that the air dam actually comes up in the center and drops down in front of the tires. I trimmed the bottom 2 inches off of mine and now it's similar to that.

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 12:12 AM
gdl

I bought a 2017 Canyon CCSB Diesel three weeks ago. Last weekend I made a trip from Denver to Canon City, CO with the air dam installed, then today I made the same trip with it removed. There was basically no wind on either day. The first trip had just a bit more city driving, the second was a few miles longer on highway.
Last weekend with the air dam I drove 217.1 miles with an average of 29.1 mpg
Today without the air dam I drove 222.9 miles with an average of 30.0 mpg
Denver to Colorado Springs is mostly a 75 mph limit and I was generally running 77 to 78 with a few minor traffic slowdowns on both trips.
Colorado Springs to Canon City is about 50% 65 mph and the other 50% 60 mph. Again I usually run 2 to 4 over the posted limit.
There was probably 10 miles of city driving on trip one and maybe 5 miles of city on the second trip

On the diesel at least I'd say the air dam has very little impact on mileage. Given that the second trip had just a little more highway and a little less city it's possible the mileage was hurt a little but I doubt it was even 1 mpg.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 01:36 AM

Garage
Even if it cost me 10% in MPG I would still have removed that ugly, low hanging POS...
DrewNJ likes this.

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
2" RC leveling kit & 1.25" RC body lift
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
Method Grid Wheels -Special Thanks to JT@Bajakits with stainless beadlock bolts
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares

As soon as $$ permits...Bajakits Upper A-arms and King coilovers and rear shocks.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregguz View Post
Mostly not having the correct tools. That makes all the difference in the world. Most of these people are going in with the basic hand tool which I'll admit would be really annoying. I have a right angle adapter for my drill so I had majority of my torx screws off in 10 mins. There was 2 in front that gave me a bit of trouble but all in all 30 mins max.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Torx screws? Oh for crying out loud......LOL.
I hate those damn things!!

Horror/Memmories of working on the old jeep and rusted torx and stripping the shit outta them and needing to use easy-outs. Not fun!! LOL. I think we took out every torx screw and replaced them with hexheads.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post

Now I gotta go, I'm shopping for a Prius pick up.
Bahahaha...god help us all! LOL

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 12:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

LOL...2 door ridgeline "truck" LOL...

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
2" RC leveling kit & 1.25" RC body lift
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
Method Grid Wheels -Special Thanks to JT@Bajakits with stainless beadlock bolts
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares

As soon as $$ permits...Bajakits Upper A-arms and King coilovers and rear shocks.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl View Post

On the diesel at least I'd say the air dam has very little impact on mileage. Given that the second trip had just a little more highway and a little less city it's possible the mileage was hurt a little but I doubt it was even 1 mpg.
I wondered if the diesel, being heavier and 'torquier', would see less of an impact with the removal of this air dam, which I intend to do when my truck is finally built/delivered.

Heavier: Less 'nose rise' at highway speed compared to gas, so less wind-scooping.

Torquier: Small resistance variances from wind buffeting would be absorbed better, meaning less rev to compensate = less fuel needed to maintain speed compared to the gas versions.

This is totally a theory, and I could be completely wrong, but...

I am also toying with the idea of simply trimming a couple inches as opposed to removing the whole thing. The way I see it, letting it hang a bit near wheels, as an above poster mentioned, may provide a bit of a wind break, now without the clearance issues. The only thing is you also then get rid of that lip at the bottom, which I'm sure acts as a mini spoiler to the spoiler. If cut, it would be flush at the edge. Of course, this could also now make it act as a wind FUNNEL, thus amplifying wind resistance...

I really could care less how it looks, it's the fact that it takes an off-road vehicle and makes it no more capable than a minivan with it on.

Last edited by ChaosTheory; 04-23-2017 at 04:10 PM.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

"200 pounds of raw, hauling power." (said in deep, manly commercial voice)
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:19 AM
gdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I wondered if the diesel, being heavier and 'torquier', would see less of an impact with the removal of this air dam, which I intend to do when my truck is finally built/delivered.

Heavier: Less 'nose rise' at highway speed compared to gas, so less wind-scooping.

Torquier: Small resistance variances from wind buffeting would be absorbed better, meaning less rev to compensate = less fuel needed to maintain speed compared to the gas versions.

This is totally a theory, and I could be completely wrong, but...
I had the exact same thought, it'd be interesting to see some gas model comparisons. I've also seen comments about the truck feeling less planted at highway speeds without the dam, I felt absolutely no difference on mine. Again, diesel vs. gas? Colorado vs. Canyon? I think there may be too many variables to make a blanket statement about the effect of removing it.
ChaosTheory likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode