Bike rack for tow hitch receiver, still have clearance for gate? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mummel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: N/A
Posts: 429
Bike rack for tow hitch receiver, still have clearance for gate?

Hey guys. Can anyone recommend a bike rack that I can mount into my tow hitch receiver, that has a clip so it can be lowered, to allow the tailgate to clear when fully opened? Something sturdy/well built. Hopefully it can take 4 bikes. Thanks!

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6L V6 4WD Crew Cab Short Box
mummel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
jrc847's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pennsylvania Backwoods
Posts: 142
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummel View Post
Hey guys. Can anyone recommend a bike rack that I can mount into my tow hitch receiver, that has a clip so it can be lowered, to allow the tailgate to clear when fully opened? Something sturdy/well built. Hopefully it can take 4 bikes. Thanks!
We got a Thule Hitching Post Pro (Item #TH934XTR) from etrailer.com and have been been quite happy with it. It easily holds four bikes (so long as one doesn't need to add the "pseudo-bar" to accommodate the "low center bar" type of bike). I'm sure you can find it elsewhere. It does have a release pin that allows the rack to be swung down and out of the way for tailgates or liftgates. Here is a link to the one we purchased:

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-.../TH934XTR.html

etrailer.com was really good to work with and the order, when placed, was fulfilled in a very short amount of time. Just my $.02.

2016 Colorado 4x4 WT Ext Cab Long Bed with:
WT Convenience Package
WT Appearance Package
Trailering Equipment Package

Last edited by jrc847; 04-20-2017 at 12:26 PM.
jrc847 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mummel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: N/A
Posts: 429
Cool thanks. Yeah I just realized there are a ton of Thule options to choose from. Probably hours of painful research lie ahead haha. I did look at the Hitching Post and its not bad, just the way the pins are used to lower the rack to get access to the gate seem a bit meh. Something more automated would be nicer, but then my wallet will probably hate me.

I will do more research and report back. If anyone has a slam dunk suggestion, please let me know.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6L V6 4WD Crew Cab Short Box
mummel is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mummel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: N/A
Posts: 429
This one looks pretty sweet:

Anyone know of if the Thule Vertex tilting 5-bike rack TH9030XT clears the gate of a 2016 Chevy Colorado?

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6L V6 4WD Crew Cab Short Box
mummel is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
ernster500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 382
Garage
How about one of these two on sale at Costco.com:

https://www.costco.com/Advantage-Til....11628813.html

https://www.costco.com/Advantage-Spo....11750814.html

I have been looking at racks too. These ones have a pretty attractive price although I am leaning towards a "platform" style rack.

2016 COLORADO LT 4X4 CCSB (Build Thread)
DURAMAXDIESEL MIDNIGHT EDITION
ernster500 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Member
 
HITTHEBEACH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Cape May County, NJ
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc847 View Post
We got a Thule Hitching Post Pro (Item #TH934XTR) from etrailer.com and have been been quite happy with it. It easily holds four bikes (so long as one doesn't need to add the "pseudo-bar" to accommodate the "low center bar" type of bike). I'm sure you can find it elsewhere. It does have a release pin that allows the rack to be swung down and out of the way for tailgates or liftgates. Here is a link to the one we purchased:

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-.../TH934XTR.html

etrailer.com was really good to work with and the order, when placed, was fulfilled in a very short amount of time. Just my $.02.
We also have this same "Quoted" Thule Hitching Post model.... an older version with just the 2" mount, but it does the job as the swing away allows for plenty of room. Although eTrailer is excellent, we got our rack from a local bike dealer before I knew about eTrailer... but it's good to buy local when you can. Good luck with your decision.... if you go with either Thule or Yakima brands you'll have it for a long time.


2016 Canyon SLE, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, Bose, Cocoa-Dune Cloth, Factory spray liner, Locking Rear Diff., DeeZee Rubber Bed Mat, WeatherTech No-Drill Mud Flaps, Iron-Cross SS Running Boards. Built April 27, 2016. Delivered May 16, 2016.
HITTHEBEACH is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mummel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: N/A
Posts: 429
What about the Allen Sports Premier Hitch? Like ~$100.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6L V6 4WD Crew Cab Short Box
mummel is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 13
Garage
I am a pretty hardcore mountain biker but I absolutely love my North Shore Rack. This is mostly meant for mountain bikes. https://goo.gl/photos/AgEjqLfU7CeTi5No8

You also have Kuat tray racks (they are the kreme of the crop I beleive). Küat Racks
internalfyre is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 7,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernster500 View Post
How about one of these two on sale at Costco.com:

https://www.costco.com/Advantage-Til....11628813.html

https://www.costco.com/Advantage-Spo....11750814.html

I have been looking at racks too. These ones have a pretty attractive price although I am leaning towards a "platform" style rack.
I like the second rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by internalfyre View Post
I am a pretty hardcore mountain biker but I absolutely love my North Shore Rack. This is mostly meant for mountain bikes. https://goo.gl/photos/AgEjqLfU7CeTi5No8

You also have Kuat tray racks (they are the kreme of the crop I beleive). Küat Racks
Not sure I understand what your bike rack does, but maybe I am just tired.

My recommendation: Do not get a tilt-style. My current bike rack is a tilt rack. Looks good on paper, and sure, you can tilt it out of the way with no bikes on it. I purchased it when I had Tahoe with liftgate. Worked ok to allow the liftgate to be raised when the rack was tilted down. But trying to control a tilt and then raise the rack with more than one bike is a pain.

Get one of the racks that rotates to the side, out of the way. Much better design I would think.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
CaryBosse is online now  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Missouri
Posts: 175
Garage
Bike rack for tow hitch receiver, still have clearance for gate?

I'd get a 1up rack if I rode my bicycle more. I believe the bicycle can swing down. Check them out...

FYI, they may be pricey, but they sure look sturdy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jso902 is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
jrc847's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pennsylvania Backwoods
Posts: 142
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITTHEBEACH View Post
We also have this same "Quoted" Thule Hitching Post model.... an older version with just the 2" mount, but it does the job as the swing away allows for plenty of room. Although eTrailer is excellent, we got our rack from a local bike dealer before I knew about eTrailer... but it's good to buy local when you can. Good luck with your decision.... if you go with either Thule or Yakima brands you'll have it for a long time.
Definitely didn't mean to sound elitist when I said we got our rack online. When we lived in Raleigh, we bought almost everything locally, primarily because there were available merchants. Now that we live in "East Jesus, Pennsylvania" (35 miles NE of "Resume Speed" once US 219 intersects with I-80), I've found it much more difficult to patronize local businesses, primarily because they don't exist. I agree wholeheartedly with @HITTHEBEACH regarding buying locally. If they exist, they deserve at least a chance at your business. In the long run, everybody benefits.

2016 Colorado 4x4 WT Ext Cab Long Bed with:
WT Convenience Package
WT Appearance Package
Trailering Equipment Package
jrc847 is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:04 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 13
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I like the second rack.

Not sure I understand what your bike rack does, but maybe I am just tired.

My recommendation: Do not get a tilt-style. My current bike rack is a tilt rack. Looks good on paper, and sure, you can tilt it out of the way with no bikes on it. I purchased it when I had Tahoe with liftgate. Worked ok to allow the liftgate to be raised when the rack was tilted down. But trying to control a tilt and then raise the rack with more than one bike is a pain.

Get one of the racks that rotates to the side, out of the way. Much better design I would think.
The vertical rack I currently have mounted to my truck (North Shore 4 Bike Rack) is what most of us here on the West Coast use for serious mountain bike hauling. The advantage of them are is that they are tough as nails and really well built. Its hard to justify unless you are carrying mountain bikes (google the rack, the makers are local here in Vancouver. Their international business has absolutely exploded recently since they are such purpose built mountain bike racks). As a side note, many of us mountain bikers are picky about damage to bikes so we usually chose tray racks or "hanging style racks" like the North Shore Rack or Kuat tray racks. Our bikes are almost the price of the trucks (ok, thats an exaggeration but they are prized possessions of ours, more important than food usually).

EDIT: From previous experience I had a Thule TRUNK mounted rack (similar to the one in the video but it mounted to the truck of my SUV) and it scratched the living hell out of the two bikes I had at the time. So if you are concerned about scratching high end bikes, stay away from that style.

The Kuat racks are very well built as well, and tray style. It does depend on what kind of folding capabilities it has but I have seen quite a few here in Vancouver/Whistler area where people can put their tailgates down.

In regards to my North Shore Rack, I can actually take the PIN out to 1) fold the rack and 2) lean the rack back. I have not actually done that though so I dont know how far back it will go with bikes on it and if it would let the tailgate sit flat. With no bikes on, it will definitely sit flat.

In regards to the rotating racks, yes definitely a good idea but I do question their durability and all the moving parts required. Although if you are just hauling around road bikes and stuff thats fine. When you get 4 mountain bikes (DH or AM ranging from 28 all the way up to like 45 ish pounds) that gets worrysome.

Last edited by internalfyre; 04-21-2017 at 02:11 PM.
internalfyre is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 7,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalfyre View Post
The vertical rack I currently have mounted to my truck (North Shore 4 Bike Rack) is what most of us here on the West Coast use for serious mountain bike hauling. The advantage of them are is that they are tough as nails and really well built. Its hard to justify unless you are carrying mountain bikes (google the rack, the makers are local here in Vancouver. Their international business has absolutely exploded recently since they are such purpose built mountain bike racks). As a side note, many of us mountain bikers are picky about damage to bikes so we usually chose tray racks or "hanging style racks" like the North Shore Rack or Kuat tray racks. Our bikes are almost the price of the trucks (ok, thats an exaggeration but they are prized possessions of ours, more important than food usually).

The Kuat racks are very well built as well, and tray style. It does depend on what kind of folding capabilities it has but I have seen quite a few here in Vancouver/Whistler area where people can put their tailgates down.

In regards to my North Shore Rack, I can actually take the PIN out to 1) fold the rack and 2) lean the rack back. I have not actually done that though so I dont know how far back it will go with bikes on it and if it would let the tailgate sit flat. With no bikes on, it will definitely sit flat.

In regards to the rotating racks, yes definitely a good idea but I do question their durability and all the moving parts required. Although if you are just hauling around road bikes and stuff thats fine. When you get 4 mountain bikes (DH or AM ranging from 28 all the way up to like 45 ish pounds) that gets worrysome.
I recognize that many of these bikes exceed the price of my first car, and maybe even my second & third cars. Actually, some exceed the price my parents paid for the house I grew up in.

I take no offense at the care & love you show your bicycle, the engineer in me hates to see a fine piece of equipment treated with disrespect. I know with the bike rack I have, you would not want to attempt to tilt it with a bicycle of that caliber on it. The potential for damage and scratches would be too high.

When you go to lift the rack back up into the transportation mode, think about trying to lift an awkward 150 pounds or so of bicycles and rack and slip a pin in to secure the rack in the raised position. Awkward at least.

My experience is with my hanging style, I would not want to hang a several thousand dollar bike on it for fear something would get damaged. Granted, I suspect your derailleur & brake cables are probably routed internal as compared to my cheap bicycle with external cables. I would think that the tray style would hold the bicycle in a more functional manner.

None of the racks I have ever seen or used work well for more than two bicycles. In order to hold 4 bicycles, the bicycles are so close to each other that handlebars hit each other, pedals are in the way, etc. Again, I can't imagine hanging 4 expensive bikes on any rack.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
CaryBosse is online now  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: TBD
Posts: 178
I personally would stay away from racks that contact the frame and go with trays. If you want one that may clear with bikes on, you could try the Thule T2:



I have a Yakima HoldUp on my Canyon right now, which when folded down and arms that hold the tires folded up (like the picture below), the tailgate will fold completely down without contacting the rack. Just moved some furniture and drove it in this configuration. It however would not allow fully opening the tailgate with bikes in place. Really happy with the rack though and you can often find 20% off sales.

DenCoColorado is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome