• 1 Post By Wweilbacher
  • 2 Post By edsd90
  • 1 Post By edsd90

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question about the Retrax Pro

Hey All,

So, I've been searching through the forums and reading all the retractable tonneau cover threads. One thing I am stuck on is getting a cover that I can integrate a rack system onto. I know Pace Edwards offers their Explorer Tracks with their Jackrabbit and that Truck Covers USA has the Yakima Tracks as an add-on option. But, the more I look at the Retrax Pro and the features it offers, the more I am thinking that may be the one for me...

IF...

For you guys with the Retrax Pro, I am trying to figure out if the lip wide enough to install a track system like the one offered by Yakima, which is supposed to be 1 5/8 inches wide. I figure if the lip is at least 2 inches wide, it should work, assuming the lip is a sturdy metal. Can someone with a RetraxPro do me a huge favor and measure the flat part of the lip that goes over the bed rails?

Has anyone already done this by chance?

Thanks in advance!

E

2016 COLORADO LT 4X4 CCSB (Build Thread)
DURAMAXDIESEL MIDNIGHT EDITION

Last edited by ernster500; 04-21-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 PM

Hey Ernie, before I had the pace on my Colorado I had the retrax pro on my Silverado for a month before it was totalled. Like we talked about before I use a rack for ladders. The track rac system works with the retrax pro. The track rac rails come with spacers to fill in the gap under the rails. I'd say the retrax pro cover covers about half the width of the bed side rails.
The retrax pro is a fantastic cover! Ball bearing slides! Worth every penny!

Personally, I just didn't like how thick the track rac rails were....
I'll see if I can dig up some picks later .

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
ernster500 likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Awesome!

So, if the TracRac system works, I can imagine the Yakima Tracks would work. I am reading on some other truck model forums that it has been done with the Retrax, but, there seems to be a question of the lip width depending on the truck model. The one caveat is it appears I would have to mount the tracks through the top of the bed rails in addition to going through the lip of the Retrax.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:56 PM

Not sure on the Colorado but on the Silverado the tracrac comes with mounts that go through the stake pocket holes to secure the rails that sit on top of the bed rails. I have no clue on the Yakima.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:11 PM

Garage
See attached images.
Hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_124.jpg (141.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_433.jpg (169.4 KB, 22 views)
ernster500 likes this.

2016 Colorado CCSB, Duramax Z71 4x4, bose, nav, leveling kit, retrax bed cover, linex, Westin Sportsman Grill Guard Winch, Westin T-Max 9500lb winch, Mictuning curved light bar, Undercover swing case's.
Duramax Turner DSP 4

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:03 PM

Garage
I've had the Yakima tracks on two different Retrax bed covers, now with a set on my GMC Canyon's Retrax Pro. If you plan on off-roading, make sure to use all of the mounting points. On the Canyon, there is just enough room to mount with SS button head screws, with washers top and bottom, and clear the bed rails underneath. I turned my cover over after mounting the tracks, and flattened the tips of the machine screws and nuts with an angle grinder for better clearance, also locking the nuts on very well. I just returned from four days of very rocky and washboard roads in Death Valley, and like with my previous Nissan Frontier's Retrax, the mounting is un-fazed by the torture.

I also recommend using the square track nuts available from Yakima if you plan similar roads and trails. I did distort the tracks some on the Nissan using the standard Yakima jam nuts, since they don't provide as must surface area inside the track, and after changing out to the square nuts had no more problems. These square nuts need to be installed with the track and left there permanently. I've included a photo below.

I took these track photos on my recent trip for someone else, so good timing on this thread. The bars are custom, originally made for a roof-top tent on my Nissan, and with minor modification adapted them to the GMC. Now I carry a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform on the load bars.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000151.jpg (414.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg P1000152.jpg (280.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg P1000153.jpg (763.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg P1000225.jpg (761.2 KB, 50 views)
ernster500 and Wweilbacher like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:08 PM

Very nice setup there Ed!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wweilbacher View Post
See attached images.
Hope it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsd90 View Post
I've had the Yakima tracks on two different Retrax bed covers, now with a set on my GMC Canyon's Retrax Pro.
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for the info, guys!

ed, quick question for you to help me understand how you did the track mounting... Did the mounting bolts go through the top of the bed rails and the tonneau cover lip or just the cover lip itself?

Thanks for the advice on the square nuts too. Will definitely go for those.

Lastly, is your truck black? Trying to decide on the gloss and the matte and the matt looks good on your truck despite the dirt. haha

Last edited by ernster500; 04-23-2017 at 02:05 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 06:10 PM

The matte finish looks better on pretty much all trucks ;)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernster500 View Post
ed, quick question for you to help me understand how you did the track mounting... Did the mounting bolts go through the top of the bed rails and the tonneau cover lip or just the cover lip itself?
Ernie - The mounting hardware only goes through the Retrax side rails. In this photo, you can sort of see the line of machine screws falling just inside the Twins bed cap.

The screws I used were M6, used flat washers top and bottom, and ground down the machine screw and nut on the bottom side to improve clearance. To install these screws and grind after installation, you need to remove the foam sealing tape that Retrax has applied to the underside of their side rails. Purchase a roll of that closed cel foam insulation tape at your local hardware store to apply when you're done mounting and ready to install. I did mine awhile back, and pretty sure I used tape that was a bit thicker (found part of a 3/4" X 1/4" roll in a garage cabinet). When installing, sit on the Retrax side rails to compress the foam as much as possible, and your seal might be a little better. You probably know that these bed covers are not water tight, but the only water that gets into my bed is along the edges. Anything away from the edges is safe. I've read that all of these retractable bed covers leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernster500 View Post
Is your truck black?
My Canyon is Cyber Gray Metallic, and agree with Snowslide that the Retrax matt finish is great for any color truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000229.jpg (74.9 KB, 17 views)
ernster500 likes this.

Last edited by edsd90; Yesterday at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode