Rust under factory drop in bedliner - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I thought Taco had a plastic bed to begin with.
Huh? really? you mean the floor of the inside of the bed is made of plastic? Sounds good to me.........

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:56 PM

Plastic has its own issues.

Here is the deal Bed liners have had advantages and issues for years. Just as all systems used in beds. It is up to the consumer to investigate and learn what is best for their needs. It is not a GM issue, or any other mfg issue. It is common knowledge about Bed liners what thry do best and what issues the create.

Not trying to be harsh or insulting or anything else negative. I know the message may not be what you want to hear but it is what it is.

You can ask the dealer to help and they may. If not just sell the liner and get the spray in done. It will cure the rust issue as they have to grind the bed anyways.

We all have made bad choices and many of us never got bailed out for our own poor choice. You learn from it cut the losses and learn from it.

As they say Experience is a Hell of a way to Learn.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
Plastic has its own issues.

Here is the deal Bed liners have had advantages and issues for years. Just as all systems used in beds. It is up to the consumer to investigate and learn what is best for their needs. It is not a GM issue, or any other mfg issue. It is common knowledge about Bed liners what thry do best and what issues the create.

Not trying to be harsh or insulting or anything else negative. I know the message may not be what you want to hear but it is what it is.

You can ask the dealer to help and they may. If not just sell the liner and get the spray in done. It will cure the rust issue as they have to grind the bed anyways.

We all have made bad choices and many of us never got bailed out for our own poor choice. You learn from it cut the losses and learn from it.

As they say Experience is a Hell of a way to Learn.
Having never owned a truck, this common knowledge wasn't common to me. I bought a truck, sales person said it had came with the bed liner installed so had extra protection in the bed. I mean if I filled the bed with rocks, I expect it to be scratched up and maybe rust. But the most I've ever carried is a suitcase and a few boxes. It never occurred to me that the bed would be rusted under the bed liner in 3 months. I would have ripped it out when I first bought the truck if I had realized it would damage the bed. I mean obviously sitting in the seats is going to wear them out. Everyone knows that. But if sitting in the seat for 3 months and 3000 miles is going to cause them to wear through, that's an issue. Bottom line is the truck has a bumper to bumper warranty, and the accessory came installed from the dealer, so they are going to take care of the problem.
JBT, JScottM and Whip8888 like this.

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawman View Post
Having never owned a truck, this common knowledge wasn't common to me. I bought a truck, sales person said it had came with the bed liner installed so had extra protection in the bed. I mean if I filled the bed with rocks, I expect it to be scratched up and maybe rust. But the most I've ever carried is a suitcase and a few boxes. It never occurred to me that the bed would be rusted under the bed liner in 3 months. I would have ripped it out when I first bought the truck if I had realized it would damage the bed. I mean obviously sitting in the seats is going to wear them out. Everyone knows that. But if sitting in the seat for 3 months and 3000 miles is going to cause them to wear through, that's an issue. Bottom line is the truck has a bumper to bumper warranty, and the accessory came installed from the dealer, so they are going to take care of the problem.
Not casting anything on you here. Like I said we all have paid our dues for not investigating things as we should I have done it and so has anyone here that still draws a breath.

Please don't get defensive as you are human and you just learned the hard way just as the rest of us.

If they take care of the issue that is great and odds are they very well will but it will come back unless you do the required care to oil the bed down or just get rid of it.

When it comes to purchases we all need to do more homework. In this day and age the excuses for not doing it are gone.

Ignorance is become less of an excuse.

Again I am speaking for all of us including myself.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:58 PM
JBT

Garage
It's his first truck with a plastic bed liner. Let's see what the dealer says first. I think he learned.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:40 PM

My 2005 Colorado has a drop in liner, which I used to remove every fall season when it got its pre-winter cleaning. As that truck is still in my family, the most I have ever seen is a little paint rubbed off near the back edge where it has shifted over time.
It definitely looks like metal shavings were somehow trapped under there for it to rust that quickly....the pictures he provided do not appear to have originated from under the paint.

And while I got my 2016 with the factory spray in liner, I ONLY did that because the drop in one available when I bought mine did not go over the front lip of the bed.

There is nothing wrong with the liner.... either there was something in the bed before they placed it in or more likely, the dragged the new liner across the shop floor where it picked up debris and never cleaned it prior to installation.
JBT and JScottM like this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door

Last edited by Toughsox; 05-18-2017 at 10:03 PM.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:59 PM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
<y 2005 Colorado has a drop in liner, which I used to remove every fall season when it got its pre-winter cleaning. As that truck is still in my family, the most I have ever seen is a little paint rubbed off near the back edge where it has shifted over time.
It definitely looks like metal shavings were somehow trapped under there for it to rust that quickly....the pictures he provided do not appear to have originated from under the paint.

And while I got my 2016 with the factory spray in liner, I ONLY did that because the drop in one available when I bought mine did not go over the front lip of the bed.

There is nothing wrong with the liner.... either there was something in the bed before they placed it in or more likely, the dragged the new liner across the shop floor where it picked up debris and never cleaned it prior to installation.
I have to agree with this. It looks like there was something like little rocks and sand in the bed or stuck to the liner. I had a plastic liner in my old S10 for 3 years and took it out. There were some scuff marks down to the primer but no real noticeable rust. The bed lasted 11 years and didn't rust.
Toughsox likes this.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab

Last edited by JBT; 05-18-2017 at 10:07 PM.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:41 PM

Garage
Well I lifted mine up and took a look. I didn't see any rust but I am surprised by how scuffed up it is. My old S10s bed held up a bit better than this. Now correct me if I'm wrong because I obviously am but aren't truck beds supposed to be galvanized steel to prevent rust from use?
Even people that use thier trucks for nothing more than moving kids toys and luggage will still scratch and scuff the paint back there.
Any way my plan is to spray a layer of oil down then maybe a rubberized foam mat to provide a little protection and plop my liner back in. Does that sound like a decent idea?
JScottM likes this.

2016 Colorado Crew Cab Long Box
2013 Fusion SE 2.0L Eco Boost
1988 Firebird Formula
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
My 2005 Colorado has a drop in liner, which I used to remove every fall season when it got its pre-winter cleaning. As that truck is still in my family, the most I have ever seen is a little paint rubbed off near the back edge where it has shifted over time.

probably metal shavings from holes drilled to install the liner? IDK. But either way just don't look under the damn thing and all is good. LOL Most people will trade in or sell a truck LONG before the bed falls off because of rust. right? My last Colorado (2007) had a drop in, it was a year old when I bought it and I never looked under it. When I sold it 8 years later the buyer didn't look under it. It will probably go to the junk yard for something other than bed rust from the liner.....To me this is a non-issue. Do the spray-in companies preach bed rust under drop ins or what? Jeeez......
Toughsox and JBT like this.

post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:32 PM

Garage
I would be concerned about moisture being trapped between the foam and the steel surface of the bed if you laid down rubberized foam and then the drop in liner. Spraying the bed with oil like FluidFilm is better than nothing.

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:45 PM

Garage
All drop in bed liner allow air to circulate under them, whether intended to or not, it should keep the bed somewhat dry. It will also constantly pulse up and down while driving, causing the bed to scratch, then surface rust. It's not much different than duct taping Tupperware to your hood. No dealer ever is going to take any responsibility for some scratching, especially when they will point out that you have never cleaned under there and allowed sand and dust to accumulate. Yes, that is ludicrous, but that's exactly what will happen.

If i'm wrong then you win, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
I would be concerned about moisture being trapped between the foam and the steel surface of the bed if you laid down rubberized foam and then the drop in liner. Spraying the bed with oil like FluidFilm is better than nothing.
Actually Fluid Film was exactly what I was going to use. And I see what your saying about the foam mat. My hope was that the foam would hopefully absorb some oil and kind of keep a protective oil barrier on the bed plus stop all of the plastic on paint rubbing. But now I may reconsider. I'm glad you mentioned that, it didn't cross my mind that water would get stuck in there too.

2016 Colorado Crew Cab Long Box
2013 Fusion SE 2.0L Eco Boost
1988 Firebird Formula
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
All drop in bed liner allow air to circulate under them, whether intended to or not, it should keep the bed somewhat dry. It will also constantly pulse up and down while driving, causing the bed to scratch, then surface rust. It's not much different than duct taping Tupperware to your hood. No dealer ever is going to take any responsibility for some scratching, especially when they will point out that you have never cleaned under there and allowed sand and dust to accumulate. Yes, that is ludicrous, but that's exactly what will happen.

If i'm wrong then you win, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Never hurts to ask anymore as so many companies eat issues they would not cover in the past in the name of competition. He has a shot here. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Just it will come back again so the best thing yo do is get a spray in done.
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
Never hurts to ask anymore as so many companies eat issues they would not cover in the past in the name of competition. He has a shot here. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Just it will come back again so the best thing yo do is get a spray in done.
I suppose not, but GM isn't into eating anything but your wallet. If he gets a spray in, at least it will already be sanded.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I suppose not, but GM isn't into eating anything but your wallet. If he gets a spray in, at least it will already be sanded.
You would be surprised at some things I have seen them do. Much is never made public but I have been on the receiving end more than once.

But also I had some pretty compelling things and a good dealer.

One deal I had to be persistent to the point I had several call I had to deal with while at Disney but I got what I wanted.

Customer Service is a Chess match where it takes some skill and knowledge. I have a extensive Service back ground and know how it works on both sides.

Also having a legitimate complaint that can be resolved in a rational way. I have seen many demands that are just nutz but you will always have those too.

Walmart changed much of how or what is taken care of with it is the cost of doing buisness. With cars it is different as one issue could really damage a company so they take t on a case by case basis and negoiate what they can.

Not a perfect system but just how it works.

Yes the bed is sanded for sure
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:49 PM

Here is what I would shoot for: Plastic bed liner is $150. Spray in bed liner from dealer's aftermarket guy is $400. Ask dealer to discount spray in bed liner by the $150.00.
Toughsox likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:33 PM

Better yet as for a deal on the spray in at their cost. This will not cost them a thing and may net a larger discount. Then sell the drop in.

You have to figure the spray in is at least 50% of the sale price. Also they would not need to deal with any warranty claim. Finally they Also don't want a used bed liner back.

This is a win win deal as the dealer is only out the profit of the spray in but not out anything else. He gets his truck fixed and his used liner would help cover some of the additional cost.

The dealer would jump on that one and the truck would be fixed.
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:54 PM

Garage
I want to point a couple of things out.
1. The drop in bed liner is a genuine GM liner if I interpreted the original message correctly, which was installed by a GM dealer and not by the customer. Wouldn't this fall under GM's warranty obligations? Couldn't the dealer file a warranty claim against the liner? I hope the dealer can because of item number 2.

2. If the customer wishes to have the drop in liner removed and have the bed sprayed, extra care is needed to properly prepare the surface so the rust does not keep growing under the liner. The rust areas will have to be sanded and primed I believe before spraying. I would hate to see the dealer do a quick spray job that will cover the rust areas for a year or two.

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
probably metal shavings from holes drilled to install the liner? IDK.
This seems pretty much exactly what it looks like to me. The rust and scratches are directly below where the holes were drilled to hold the bed liner in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
But either way just don't look under the damn thing and all is good. LOL Most people will trade in or sell a truck LONG before the bed falls off because of rust. right? My last Colorado (2007) had a drop in, it was a year old when I bought it and I never looked under it. When I sold it 8 years later the buyer didn't look under it. It will probably go to the junk yard for something other than bed rust from the liner.....To me this is a non-issue. Do the spray-in companies preach bed rust under drop ins or what? Jeeez......
Yes, but I already looked. Can't unsee.

So I brought the truck back to the dealer and the service manager agreed that it was a warranty issue. They buffed out the rust spots. 3 pictures attached. The first is what it looks like now. The second is the underside of the bed liner. The third is a zoomed in version of the original rust picture.

All that remains is for them to credit me the price of the drop in liner on a spray in installation or a bedrug and I'll be satisfied. I already have a call in to the sales manager. If that doesn't work I'll go to the general manager, and finally if all else fails I put $3k of the down payment on my credit card. Retailers do not like when they have to deal with charge backs from credit card companies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170519_15037_Truck_Bed.jpg (568.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20170519_15016_Bedlliner_Rust.jpg (645.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20170509_14687_Rust_Zoomed.jpg (661.9 KB, 13 views)
JScottM likes this.

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip8888 View Post
Well I lifted mine up and took a look. I didn't see any rust but I am surprised by how scuffed up it is. My old S10s bed held up a bit better than this. Now correct me if I'm wrong because I obviously am but aren't truck beds supposed to be galvanized steel to prevent rust from use?
Even people that use thier trucks for nothing more than moving kids toys and luggage will still scratch and scuff the paint back there.
Any way my plan is to spray a layer of oil down then maybe a rubberized foam mat to provide a little protection and plop my liner back in. Does that sound like a decent idea?
If you are really that worried about it, instead of moisture holding foam, how about that magical plasti-dip? I bet it would stick to any rough area pretty well and that stuff is tough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode