Rust under factory drop in bedliner - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rust under factory drop in bedliner

As the title suggest, I have rust under my drop in bedliner. I had read posts saying that the drop ins caused rust due to paint rubbing off but I assumed that it happened 'eventually', as in maybe in a few years. I picked up my truck in February and after 3,000 miles noticed that the bedliner wasn't laying flat on the floor of the bed in some spots. It had a raised area. I felt underneath and could feel some spots that felt rough so looked further. I ended up pulling the bedliner totally out and found that there are multiple spots where the paint is pretty scratched up all along the bed, and in some spots it has started rusting already. I am planning on going back to the dealer since they installed this bedliner, and seeing if they will fix the paint and rust. Have to say I'm super pissed about this. Is it normal to have a bedliner scratch up and rust the bed this quickly? Pictures attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170509_14697_Bed_Scratches.jpg (552.6 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 20170509_14686_truck_rust.jpg (589.0 KB, 168 views)

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:44 PM

Time for line-x
base587 and doug5336 like this.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

How to Videos - Check out my YouTube Channel!
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Line-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondupot View Post
Time for line-x
Yep! Line-X was the best spray on bedliner I ever had for two of my vehicles.

zoz

2017 GMC Canyon Denali

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:03 PM

Wow, I installed the factory bedliner on my truck. I was considering eventually doing a spray on bedliner. After seeing this, I think I'll do it sooner than I expected. Thanks for posting.

2015 Colorado Z71 4x4
Trail Boss Sport Bar
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:04 PM

Drop in liners generally are recommended to have them out at the least once a year and oil the bed down.

It is not a matter of if but when it will rust.

I never understood the drop in liners now they have the spray in liners. The plastic just moves too much and will rub through pain in months and it matter little what truck you buy.
base587 and ferg Z71 like this.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondupot View Post
Time for line-x
I'm expecting the dealer to cover either installing line-x or repainting it that since they installed the drop in. We shall see.

post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:26 PM

Garage
I had a Ford factory drop in liner in my previous 2004 Ranger and a rubber mat over that for 12 1/2 years in the rust belt. The floor held up very well. It certainly was scuffed but not rusted as the truck was undercoated. Spray-on liners were something new back then and hard to get a good quality application that would not peel like on our 2004 Chevy 2500HD Silverado work truck. Too bad you are out of the money for the drop in. GM Accessories are covered by the vehicle warranty. Definitely get the dealer involved.

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
Drop in liners generally are recommended to have them out at the least once a year and oil the bed down.

It is not a matter of if but when it will rust.

I never understood the drop in liners now they have the spray in liners. The plastic just moves too much and will rub through pain in months and it matter little what truck you buy.
Mine had only been installed 3 months for 3,000 miles.

post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawman View Post
Mine had only been installed 3 months for 3,000 miles.

Doesn't matter it was long enough.

Plastic is not even, the liner moves no matter what you do and it will rub through.

At one time it was the only real way to protect a bed and now there are many better options. The plastic liners still hold an advantage if you do bricks gravel or rocks but other wise you have to choose dents vs rust.

Even with the rust most in most areas the rust would take years as the liner will keep rubbing it and never let it get too established. This is a old problem on a old system to protect the bed.

This is whyI laugh at the folks defense of the Ford aluminum bed when Chevy literally poked holes in them. People claimed everyone get a bed liner. Well the truth is no they don't. There is a good spread on what people use and how they use them.

I have mostly used rubber mats and now Bed Rugs. I do not hall sand or gravel but I do haul engine and other large metal items. Even my sons soap box derby car. If it gets dirty a little grease lighting and hose it out then let it dry. Or just sweep it out. It works for me. If I had more heavy construction I may think about a plastic liner and just oil it 2 times a year.

It is just a matter of what you want, need and the side effects you can deal with. With a plastic liner it is rust. No right or wrong just what you want.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I'm expecting the dealer to cover either installing line-x or repainting it that since they installed the drop in. We shall see.
Good luck with that, I don't see the dealer covering the cost of doing any of that. There's a reason most trucks they offer on the lots come with the spray-in liners rather than the drop-in ones anymore. You're most likely going to be out of pocket the cost of getting the spray-in liner put in yourself, which will also get rid of the surface rust, which that appears to be, in the process of prepping the bed for the liner.

- Justin
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Lol, that's never gonna happen. I didn't even know they offered drop in liners anymore, a poor choice on your end. It's called stupid tax and we all pay it at some point.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Lol, that's never gonna happen. I didn't even know they offered drop in liners anymore, a poor choice on your end. It's called stupid tax and we all pay it at some point.
Not sure why you feel the need to resort to throwing out insults. Poor choice on my end how? Buying the Colorado? Offered??? The bedliner was dealer installed before I ever even test drove the truck.

According to the Chevy warranty:

Quote:
Accessory Coverage
Most GM parts and accessories sold and permanently installed on a GM vehicle by a GM Dealer or GM approved Accessory Distributor/Installer (ADI) prior to delivery will be covered under the applicable portion (Bumper-to-Bumper, Powertrain, etc.) of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. In the event GM accessories are installed after vehicle delivery, or are replaced under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, they will be covered, parts and labor, for the balance of the applicable portion of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, but in no event less than 12 months/unlimited miles. GM Accessories sold over the counter, or those not requiring installation, will continue to receive the standard GM Dealer Parts Warranty of 12 months from the date of purchase, parts only. GM Licensed and Integrated Business Partner (IBP) Accessories are covered under the accessory-specific manufacturer’s warranty and are not warranted by GM or its dealers.
JBT likes this.

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:03 PM
JBT

Garage
Sounds like you should be covered to me. The dealer might give you a hard time about it though. You can also contact Chevy directly if the dealer won't cover it. Good luck. I had one of those bed liners in an old S10 for three years and took it out. There wasn't any rust but a lot of scratches all the way down to the primer. The bed still lasted 11 years and was fine. Hope it works out for you. Everybody here has opinions. You know what they are good for, nothing. Go talk to your dealer and let us know what they say.
Whip8888 and rawman like this.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Not sure why you feel the need to resort to throwing out insults. Poor choice on my end how? Buying the Colorado? Offered??? The bedliner was dealer installed before I ever even test drove:
If it makes you feel any better I specifically ordered a drop in liner

I had one on my 17 year old S10 and it still looked great underneath
I'm rough on the rear end of my truck wether its gravel or dirt that i have to shovel out or lumber or drywall. I didn't think the spray in would last as long as the drop in.

Thanks for posting this. Im gonna have look under mine this weekend
Good luck with gm

2016 Colorado Crew Cab Long Box
2013 Fusion SE 2.0L Eco Boost
1988 Firebird Formula
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:01 PM

Garage
I test drove a used 2016 Colorado Z71 that was 8 months old with about 1000 miles and had the GM drop in bed liner. I lifted up the back of the liner by the endgate and that looked good yet. For rust to have developed that fast, I would think that there was something else trapped besides water, like salt or another chemical. I can't picture this happening in this time frame.
Toughsox likes this.

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:10 PM

Garage
I have found that drop-in bedliners do a better job of destroying the bed than protecting it. You're better off just paying the extra for the spray-in, or just lay a bed mat down.

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 4x4 3.6L v6 ECLB
BNR Tune via Diablosport i2
Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper
Speedliner spray-on bedliner
Weathertech floor mats
AVS hood deflector and window visors
A.R.E MX bed cap w/ Yakima roof rack
Undercover Swingcases
Carhartt seat covers
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:42 PM

Garage
have to be very careful not to get sand or dirt between the liner and the bed. Vibration from the road would be enough to wear through your paint in no time

2017 Colorado Z71 (2WD), Cajun Red, V6, Tow, GM Sportbar w/lights, Vinyl "Performance" striping, 4" Westin Nerf Bars, BAK Revolver X2 roll up bed cover (modified), Bed LED lights
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:25 PM

Friends 2015 Taco did the same thing, they told her it was normal wear/tear and not covered under warranty. Drop in's have been around for so long that it's easy for people to fall for the protection they think they are getting. Unfortunately as someone else mention once the sand/grit gets under them they just eat the paint away.

Borrow, beg, or scrape up the $300 to $400 and get a spray in, you wonder why you didn't do that from the start!
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
As the title suggest, I have rust under my drop in bedliner. I had read posts saying that the drop ins caused rust due to paint rubbing off but I assumed that it happened 'eventually', as in maybe in a few years. I picked up my truck in February and after 3,000 miles noticed that the bedliner wasn't laying flat on the floor of the bed in some spots. It had a raised area. I felt underneath and could feel some spots that felt rough so looked further. I ended up pulling the bedliner totally out and found that there are multiple spots where the paint is pretty scratched up all along the bed, and in some spots it has started rusting already. I am planning on going back to the dealer since they installed this bedliner, and seeing if they will fix the paint and rust. Have to say I'm super pissed about this. Is it normal to have a bedliner scratch up and rust the bed this quickly? Pictures attached.
Man those pics sure look like metal shavings were sitting under there. Maybe like ferge Z71 said its dirt/sand? I would dig out one of those rust spots very carefully and see wtf. Is it really a spot down to bare metal? looks like little specks? Weird! Could be a defect in the paint but good F'ing luck getting it warranteed. You know?! Everyone is a cheap bastard with junk product nowadays... :( I like the drop in plastic liner because it is easy on the cargo you slide around in there. right? I had it on my old 2007 Colorado and loved it. Ive looked at the spray in stuff and it seams a lot like sandpaper. To me a having a bed liner is 6 one - half dozen a nother. Don't have it and your bed is damaged and want to cover it up, get a liner. If you have a liner it could damage the bed. Get a spray on you get to scratch up your paint to put paint on the paint.....can't win....lol...right? For me, I have paint and if I decide to haul a load of dirt or rock, I will probably get a drop in. Good luck, let us know what happens.
Toughsox likes this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Friends 2015 Taco did the same thing, they told her it was normal wear/tear and not covered under warranty. Drop in's have been around for so long that it's easy for people to fall for the protection they think they are getting. Unfortunately as someone else mention once the sand/grit gets under them they just eat the paint away.

Borrow, beg, or scrape up the $300 to $400 and get a spray in, you wonder why you didn't do that from the start!
I thought Taco had a plastic bed to begin with.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode